Pre-2020 summer transfers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2019 summer transfers

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

thetruth wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:44 pm Penn was a significantly better team in 2019 than they were in 2018. The transfer FOGO and freshman middie made a huge difference and without both of them they probably weren't an NCAA tournament team. That being said the senior class at Penn that just graduated was exceptional and will be sorely missed.
Totally agree. Somehow, my comments have been misunderstood.

I was simply saying that just a couple of additional guys, the right guys, can change overall outcomes dramatically.
Feel free to share what else one thinks changed between the 2018 and 2019 teams, I would certainly defer to those closer to than the program than I am!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, a couple of new faces, the right players, can be very important. In Penn's case, I understand that the class of 2019 seniors provided real leadership, contributing to a substantially better team spirit / "locker room."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 am Yes, a couple of new faces, the right players, can be very important. In Penn's case, I understand that the class of 2019 seniors provided real leadership, contributing to a substantially better team spirit / "locker room."
Absolutely
“I wish you would!”
SidelineHorn

Post by SidelineHorn »

Chris Gray to Maryland...rumor
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

So he’s leaving BU to attend University of Maryland for academic reasons? Ok, sure...I’ll buy that. :roll:
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 pm So he’s leaving BU to attend University of Maryland for academic reasons? Ok, sure...I’ll buy that. :roll:
UMd is actually rather strong in certain fields.
Live Free or Die!
SidelineHorn

Post by SidelineHorn »

That’s is the rumor. Academics never brought up. Chance to win a ring.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Cooter wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:44 pm
Henpecked wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 pm So he’s leaving BU to attend University of Maryland for academic reasons? Ok, sure...I’ll buy that. :roll:
Like transfers? Maybe he could major in transfers and TIllman would be the instructor. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:51 am
Like transfers? Maybe he could major in transfers and TIllman would be the instructor. ;) :lol:
:lol:
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

He's not going to Maryland.

It's going to be Duke or an Ivy. I'd give ND, Hop, UVA, and Georgetown very small chances. But likely Duke or Harvard/Penn/Yale/Brown. Probably not Princeton (Sowers), Cornell (Teat), or Dartmouth. Sorry Dartmouth.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Not that a lacrosse player is likely to major in them, but UMd is very strong in Computer Science, Physics, Math, and Engineering.
Where did you go to school anyways that you feel you can throw stones?
Live Free or Die!
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

SidelineHorn wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:48 am That’s is the rumor. Academics never brought up. Chance to win a ring.
Better chance than Duke?
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Cooter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:16 am
Not that a lacrosse player is likely to major in them, but UMd is very strong in Computer Science, Physics, Math, and Engineering.
Not throwing any stones, but Maryland would be a big surprise given the poll results to date. If he chooses Maryland, Gray would become the core case study for the transfer class. :lol: What a course it would be since both sides of the process would be well represented. I wonder if Gray was friendly with the Bullis guy who transferred to Maryland from BU last year.

Reverting back to Gray's text to his teammates, he said he was interested in "academic ambitions". I think that Muleski's or someone else's comments added more color to that comment and triggered the extensive focus on undergraduate business programs. Lots of controversy on whether there are "coach spots" at Wharton. Gray is high profile enough where the norms (whatever they are) probably won't apply. My guess is that Murphy might have some pull there IF he has excellent rapport with admissions; a strong track record with no blemishes would really help. Does anyone know if Gray was interested in Questrom at BU? Do you have to apply and is it as selective as Wharton seems to be?
Last edited by laxpere on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not knocking UMD education Cooter, it was a tongue in cheek joke in regards to the flow of lax transfers to the Terps each year.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Gray to Cornell is my prediction
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Maybe Gray should skip college and go to Hollywood. The young man is a celebrity. Grab the cash while you can. Plenty of time to get a degree. ;)
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 am
Not knocking UMD education Cooter, it was a tongue in cheek joke in regards to the flow of lax transfers to the Terps each year.
A lot of UMd's transfers seem to be players returning to their home state to be closer to home and to garner instate tuition.
Live Free or Die!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:49 am Gray to Cornell is my prediction
Someone mentioned this before but Gray having to play with Teat for a year would be a little weird. They're both great players obviously and would probably find a way to make it work but my thinking is Gray is much, much more likely to go to a team that doesn't already have an established attackman that runs the offense. I think someone mentioned this already but Teat would be the senior incumbent and Gray would very likely have to defer to him next year even though you can make an argument that he's as good as him or perhaps better. Same reason I doubt that Princeton is high on his list. Harvard or Brown makes more sense, while Penn could use someone like Gray now that Mathias has graduated. Yale has Morrill for another year but we already know that he can complement another alpha attackman (Reeves last year) so I think that pairing makes a little more sense than Teat and Gray. And as mentioned, Duke could really use a quarterback to run that offense. If you're trying to guess where Gray goes, I think you have to look at 1) academics 2) opportunity to win a title/at least play in the NCCA tournament 3) does it make sense from an actual lacrosse standpoint? The schools that check all three boxes are probably 1) Duke 2) Penn 3) Yale if you think he'd work well with Morrill 4) Maaaybe Notre Dame? Schools like Cornell, Maryland, Hopkins, Brown, and Harvard check 2 of the 3 boxes. The wild card is probably Virginia as I do think Gray could work with both Moore and Kraus but he certainly would not score 100 points again and it'd look super lame to join the defending champs but I doubt he cares much for the optics. Still, there are equally good situations closer to home so I think those are more likely than UVA.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Virginia would shock me as the entire attack returns plus Cormier, Dickson and #1 Shellenberger will all be vying for time at attack. Additionally, since Moore broke the Virginia season points record at attack, why would they move him back to midfield? IL might not be aware of Moore but he is certainly in the discussion as the best returning attackman next year.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

blue angels wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 pm Virginia would shock me as the entire attack returns plus Cormier, Dickson and #1 Shellenberger will all be vying for time at attack. Additionally, since Moore broke the Virginia season points record at attack, why would they move him back to midfield? IL might not be aware of Moore but he is certainly in the discussion as the best returning attackman next year.
There seems to be a lot of revisionist history with this UVA team and Moore in particular. When the AA teams came out he was at best a HM and he may have moved himself up to 3rd team after the tournament. It wasn't some kind of massive snub leaving him out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”