Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: Recruiting

Post by spidey44 »

Rich727 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:00 am
1. Would that apply even if she only emailed a few schools?
2. No. She is thinking about it.
3. FSU would be of an interest to her.
4. That makes sense.
Lax world is a relatively small fraternity. Word spreads FAST. And coaches move around A LOT. A friend of current coach/asst coach that finds out WILL talk to the currently committed to coach.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:06 am
Rich727 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:23 am Hello everyone,

I’m looking for advice on decommitting. My 25 daughter is committed and going out west but is now reconsidering her decision. She’s reached out to her club coach and director, but their responses have been minimal, and they’ve moved her behind the 26s.

I understand that the typical advice is for her to inform the college coach about her change in plans. However, my concern is that she’s hesitant to decommit without first exploring other potential options at schools she likes. Has anyone here navigated a similar situation or have any insights?

She planned to start emailing a few coaches who had contacted her last September. We are aware that there is a possibility the school might find out, and while it’s a great school with awesome lacrosse, she wasn't sure if she’d feel comfortable being so far from home.

Tricky situation for sure.

A few of my thoughts.

1) If she reaches out to other coaches, its not an if the committed will find out, she will. Unless being proactively recruited, its best to recommit before reaching out to someone else.

2) Is the situation beyond hope? Maybe there is something the current coach could do to help solve the problem / address the issues

3) Have other schools been reaching out to her? I know FSU is going after some 25 commits now. Does she have any target schools?

4) Don't blame the club coach completely. They don't want your daughter to decommit because it hurts their reputation.
4. That makes sense.
This applies even if she just emails one school. Coaches are ridiculously connected and it would likely get shared damage her repuation and potentially prevent her moving. Clearly there are a few exceptions to this, but hard to say without knowing where you daughter is committed. I can tell you though that the Colorado, Stanford and Cal coaches are some of the most connected in the lax world.

Honestly, I recommend she shares where she is at with her committed coach and see if she can work it out. If handled the right way, the decommitted coach could even help her find a new home.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Is this a case of she simply does not want her current choice and is shopping or she knows she wants a specific other choice? It would seem like targeting another specific program could be done more discretely.

Also, to be frank, how good is your daughter? Many coaches will "find room" for a kid that they know will make an impact at their program.

I can also say from personal experience that geography is a consideration. We went from a 5-hour drive to a cross-country plane flight (COVID grad year) and there is NO comparison for the family. Which, IMHO, impacts the player.

Good luck.
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

Decommitting does not seem uncommon this year. The #1 recruit Spallina decommitted from SU to Clemson and her YJ teammate went from UMass to Clemson.
A couple Mass Elite girls just flipped from Clemson to Brown and another from High point to FSU.
It is better to make the change now then later as it is only a verbal commitment if she is a 2025.
NLI signing is like 2 months away. I would definitely do your research on spots and $ left at the schools she is interested in.
As someone mention, maybe you pay for yr 1 and get $ 2-4th year using 2026's $. I am sure they can get creative if they want her.
Maybe your club coach could contact the coaches first to get a sense if there are roster spots open.
Just my two cents.
Rich727

Post by Rich727 »

It seems she'll have to stay put for now. She was only planning to email a few Florida schools. Thanks for the information!
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:20 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:06 am
Rich727 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:23 am Hello everyone,

I’m looking for advice on decommitting. My 25 daughter is committed and going out west but is now reconsidering her decision. She’s reached out to her club coach and director, but their responses have been minimal, and they’ve moved her behind the 26s.

I understand that the typical advice is for her to inform the college coach about her change in plans. However, my concern is that she’s hesitant to decommit without first exploring other potential options at schools she likes. Has anyone here navigated a similar situation or have any insights?

She planned to start emailing a few coaches who had contacted her last September. We are aware that there is a possibility the school might find out, and while it’s a great school with awesome lacrosse, she wasn't sure if she’d feel comfortable being so far from home.

Tricky situation for sure.

A few of my thoughts.

1) If she reaches out to other coaches, its not an if the committed will find out, she will. Unless being proactively recruited, its best to recommit before reaching out to someone else.

2) Is the situation beyond hope? Maybe there is something the current coach could do to help solve the problem / address the issues

3) Have other schools been reaching out to her? I know FSU is going after some 25 commits now. Does she have any target schools?

4) Don't blame the club coach completely. They don't want your daughter to decommit because it hurts their reputation.
4. That makes sense.
This applies even if she just emails one school. Coaches are ridiculously connected and it would likely get shared damage her repuation and potentially prevent her moving. Clearly there are a few exceptions to this, but hard to say without knowing where you daughter is committed. I can tell you though that the Colorado, Stanford and Cal coaches are some of the most connected in the lax world.

Honestly, I recommend she shares where she is at with her committed coach and see if she can work it out. If handled the right way, the decommitted coach could even help her find a new home.
Always is and always will be two sets of standards for coaches and players. 2026’s going through that in a couple days when the ghosting starts. Coaches can come and go but if a player decides to decommit . God forbid.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:17 am
4. That makes sense.
Lax world is a relatively small fraternity. Word spreads FAST. And coaches move around A LOT. A friend of current coach/asst coach that finds out WILL talk to the currently committed to coach.
I wonder if a coaching change matters. For instance, if his daughter is going to Colorado, their OC just left. Is that enough to not make coaches mad that you are leaving. But the answer for that would be talk to the Hc first. So I doubt it.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

njbill wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:57 pm I’m guessing Zoe and Sam were top 10, but that’s just a guess. Megan Taylor was not. I would guess North and Scane were not either, largely because they were not from hotbeds.
Izzy Scane was ranked number 27 in her class. Who were the 26 people who were "better" than her?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:57 pm I’m guessing Zoe and Sam were top 10, but that’s just a guess. Megan Taylor was not. I would guess North and Scane were not either, largely because they were not from hotbeds.
stukenberg was #3 and appuzo was #11 when they did impact freshmen. schwarzmann was #3 as rising senior.
north was #14 on power 100 impact freshman list, but like the others didn't find at another point in time.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ultravisitor wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:17 pm
Izzy Scane was ranked number 27 in her class. Who were the 26 people who were "better" than her?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/7
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Rich727 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:37 am It seems she'll have to stay put for now. She was only planning to email a few Florida schools. Thanks for the information!
Feel free to DM if there is anything else I can do to help.
cdb

Post by cdb »

In football, unless you are someone everyone wants, even visiting another school after you have given a verbal commitment, usually means the original school will pull its offer. The only exceptions are when a commitment is made 2 or 3 years ahead of the recruitment year -- as that gives the original school sufficient time to replace the commitment. Sometimes, athletes commit just to let other school know that someone is interested enough to give them a scholarship. I know of 2 athletes that did this at the college I help with placement and both athletes lost their scholarships -- unfortunately they ended up at schools that were their safety schools and not one of their high choices. Young athletes really need guidance from parents and coaches as they believe they know everything when they are just teenagers.

I do not know how this works in WLAX, but I assume there are similarities.
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

Funny thing is football and basketball recruits love to announce their offers on twitter. So it builds them up and shows other schools all the offers they are getting. It is very interesting because you do not see that in Lacrosse.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:54 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:17 pm
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/7
Thank you, but it was a rhetorical question. Pretty sure most of us know that 26 people in that class didn't turn out to be better than Izzy Scane.

It's funny to look at that list now.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Rich727 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:37 am It seems she'll have to stay put for now. She was only planning to email a few Florida schools. Thanks for the information!
I agree that is likely that they will find out you do look around. No emails should be sent. The most straightforward thing would be to just call the coach and tell them you are reconsidering before you make any contact away. There will be definite consequences after that call, but you hold your head up high and move on. Don't waste a year of eligibility in a place you don't want to be. Calls can be made if you have a relationship with and trust your club director. First gauge whether or not your club director has a relationship that will be damaged by your daughter de-committing before even approaching the subject. Most directors won't want to burn a bridge with a school for any kid. Hurts their businesses too much. Check how many others have committed to that program in the past. If you are the only one who has ever committed there it may be tough for the director going forward because your daughter opened the channel, etc . you get the idea.
I think we are in a new era of college sports. Coach Prime just kicked off more than 75% of the remaining team when he got there. Doesn't feel like the commitment goes both ways. With new scholarship amounts floating out there, roster limits etc, I bet flipping starts to become more common.
Good luck
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

MSLAX5 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:19 pm Funny thing is football and basketball recruits love to announce their offers on twitter. So it builds them up and shows other schools all the offers they are getting. It is very interesting because you do not see that in Lacrosse.
Thank the Lord we don't see that in lacrosse.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The only number 1 that was dominant was Taylor Cummings.

Probably the best ever. Great on draw, great on offense, defense and ground balls. Super fast.
Codylax14

Post by Codylax14 »

I read on here that FSU has started recruiting? where are they targeting? portal?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Codylax14 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:00 pm I read on here that FSU has started recruiting? where are they targeting? portal?
Grabbing kids from Central Michigan and Grand Valley State. 😉
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:29 pm
Codylax14 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:00 pm I read on here that FSU has started recruiting? where are they targeting? portal?
Grabbing kids from Central Michigan and Grand Valley State. 😉
Not all of them. They both have great connections across the country with many different clubs. The new AHC will seal the deal for FSU.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”