Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

Let's start this. Hungover after having had the pleasure of watching the twin Colossus's of Pat Spencer and Jacob Stover for 4 years.

We have a superlative attack back and a great defense. FOGO is exceptional and getting stronger, with addition coming in. I like our whole recruiting class, this coming Fall and next.

What worries me is: goalie. Someone will need to step up. For a 1st Team AA, Stover was a slightly unsung hero on this team because Pat took a lot of oxygen obviously. Stover was such a consistent denier in goal. Whoever gets that role will benefit from having a great defense in front of them.

Competitively in the Patriot, we are looking good again. Gray left BU; that kills; Army loses Surdick and Barretto...that kills; Lehigh loses their top 4 scorers; that kills. I think Bucknell will be the strongest non-Loyola team out there...they were in every game this year and they do not lose a lot to graduation. Good news is we have them at home.

What you got?
houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

Well, in terms of schedule we have these opponents at home:
Hop
Rutgers
Towson
Duke
Bucknell
BU
Army
Lafayette

Nice billing in terms of home seatings and tickets for the big non con games and the tough PL's per Bucknell BU and Army.

Terms of other PL schools and their outlooks, Lehigh graduates a ton of their starters, their face offs are coming back but their stud freshman from last year was deemed academically ineligible. BU lost Gray which just hurts the entire offense. Army loses their backbone in Defense but Nichtern returns who's pretty dangerous. Navy is looking for a new coach and returns their starting goalie (dk much else about them). Colgate is returning a good amount with their new coaching staff. lafayette is changing the culture with Myers into a more positive one. Bucknell is always tough. WATCH out for Holy Cross-those kids can play and they love their new coaching staff.

Offensively PB i can see the optimism but beyond the big 3 of scanlan, olmstead and lindley - who else can produce points on a consistent basis? Deveraux can shoot, Wigley is an off ball guy who got looks from Spencer's feeds. Cox is a big lefty but thats about it. Losing Brown and Duffy will really make us miss the outside snipers off of skip passes from the midfield.

Defensively- Look at all the guys coming back, it's deep. Razanka and Boland have a year under their belts. Benus and Higgins are the top 2 SSDMs for the rope unit. Maybe throw in McNulty as the LSM with Hughes, Johnson, and Railey as the close D. 5 of the starting 6 guys on D are coming back.

Faceoffs- Bailey increased his win % from 45% to 52% as the main FO guy. Two guys coming in with Cottone as the top FO from Calvert Hall who just won the MIAA with the backup going to Hop as their FO recruit too. Throw in Pacheco where PB you said that hes great and practically didnt lose a faceoff all summer in the Colorado circuit?

Goalie- well... we lost burkinshaw to Penn but Teitelbaum will push for starting time.

Impact recruits to look out for IMO:
Cottone
Pacheco
Teitelbaum
Kamish
James
Taylor- These last two can help replenish the midfield losses of Duffy/Brown

The question really is for midfield replacement's and obviously goalie
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Glad we got the 2020 Thread going. On defense I saw one oversight - Cam Wyers. Solid year for the young man. Goalie is a concern - how do you replace an AA like Stover? So if everyone stays healthy on D, and that was a challenge this year, you would have McNulty, Railey, Wyers, Johnson, Hughes, etc... Middleton got some time at LSM but Toomey leaned on McNulty more and more as the season progressed. And Johnson was hurt in the Duke game but did manage to come back late in the season. The defense was sort of patched together at various times but everyone had ample time on the field and I believe Loyola will have depth at defense. And as they say, Defense wins championships. Having said that, a good FOGO does help the cause :lol: and from what I'm reading and hearing it sounds like Savio is will have some help from the new incoming Freshmen.

Offesnively - like it has been said - how do you replace a Pat Spencer? You don't. You build around what you have and we have a pretty good trio coming back - Lindley, Olmstead and Scanlan. Who else will step up?? It's wide open.

Guess I need to go You Tube to chack out the highlights of some of the new players you mentioned. "Tape don't lie"...as they say in the locker room.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Freshmen who will see time:

Jack Griffin: He's a natural attackman, and of course there is only one opening. This kid is legit; smart. I actually think he can play middie too. He would be an insane addition to Olmstead and Lindley.

Chris Cottone: FOGO. A great spell for Bailey. Cotone is very good.

Joey Kamish: another attackman. Very quick.

Eric Pacheco: middie and FO. Great athlete, big. Will play immediately. Honestly, he might be your FOGO depending how he stacks up against Bailey and Cottone, and if he is not needed at middie.

Matt Heusten: Middie. Fast, great shot, good defender too. Two way middie.

Adam Poitras: Attack. Not sure what you do with Poitras and Griffin. This will be a battel to see who meshes best with Olmstead and Lindley. Poitras is such a skillful and smart player. Not the goal scorer that Griffin is, but not sure you will need that with the other two already there.

Will Sherwood: Middie. Another very good up top dodging threat. Tough kid.

Colton Teitelbaum: Goalie. Sparkplug kid. Will vie immediately for starting role.

And to think, our 2020 incoming class is even better!
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:42 pm Lehigh graduates a ton of their starters, their face offs are coming back but their stud freshman from last year was deemed academically ineligible.
That info doesn't seem widely know. For fall semester? What number?
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxpere wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:10 am
houndace1 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:42 pm Lehigh graduates a ton of their starters, their face offs are coming back but their stud freshman from last year was deemed academically ineligible.
That info doesn't seem widely know. For fall semester? What number?
i believe it was #32. IL did a quick article about athletes in fall ball
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:29 am Freshmen who will see time:

Jack Griffin: He's a natural attackman, and of course there is only one opening. This kid is legit; smart. I actually think he can play middie too. He would be an insane addition to Olmstead and Lindley.

Eric Pacheco: middie and FO. Great athlete, big. Will play immediately. Honestly, he might be your FOGO depending how he stacks up against Bailey and Cottone, and if he is not needed at middie.

Adam Poitras: Attack. Not sure what you do with Poitras and Griffin. This will be a battel to see who meshes best with Olmstead and Lindley. Poitras is such a skillful and smart player. Not the goal scorer that Griffin is, but not sure you will need that with the other two already there.

Colton Teitelbaum: Goalie. Sparkplug kid. Will vie immediately for starting role.

PB do you know if these kids are diamonds in the rough, that Q likes to call our recruits?

I think Pacheco and Cottone will definitely help Bailey out. 3 FO guys will help alleviate the wear and tear during the season. Perhaps poitras runs the QB 1 with Olmstead or Scanlan as the 2/3 option at X whenever the first dodge fails? Heuston could be an SSDM to play in the transition game. Perhaps the midfield lines can be very very young in 2020 with multiple freshman starting.

Heuston has jets for legs and can shoot on the run when dodging left to right. His time and room shooting is blistering.
Sherwood on tape looks like hes primarily a lefty (could be the next duffy for outside rips), and when on the run his right hand might need to be developed.

Look at the tape for Najee Taylor, former ND commit. Looks about to be at least 6'1 maybe 6'2 from what i see on other recruiting websites. Tall and Lanky. Has a nice split dodge, but if he gets bigger and stronger through fall ball and strength/conditioning he can start with scanlon on the first line, maybe switch to 2nd depending on matchups and synergy
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

IL in their way too early season rankings has us at #11 with hop at #12. Defense oriented senior class, relying on Olmstead, Lindley and Scanlon to provide an offensive punch. They gave a shoutout to Bailey as being "one of the best down the stretch"
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 am

PB do you know if these kids are diamonds in the rough, that Q likes to call our recruits?

I think Pacheco and Cottone will definitely help Bailey out. 3 FO guys will help alleviate the wear and tear during the season. Perhaps poitras runs the QB 1 with Olmstead or Scanlan as the 2/3 option at X whenever the first dodge fails? Heuston could be an SSDM to play in the transition game. Perhaps the midfield lines can be very very young in 2020 with multiple freshman starting.

Heuston has jets for legs and can shoot on the run when dodging left to right. His time and room shooting is blistering.
Sherwood on tape looks like hes primarily a lefty (could be the next duffy for outside rips), and when on the run his right hand might need to be developed.

Look at the tape for Najee Taylor, former ND commit. Looks about to be at least 6'1 maybe 6'2 from what i see on other recruiting websites. Tall and Lanky. Has a nice split dodge, but if he gets bigger and stronger through fall ball and strength/conditioning he can start with scanlon on the first line, maybe switch to 2nd depending on matchups and synergy

Griffin, Pacheco, and Poitras are locks. The others can be meaningful contributors. The most difficult decision will be between Griffin and Poitras for 3rd attackman; different styles. And you have on the bench already Jack Raba, who's no slouch.

I think Shafer starts in goal to begin the season, and Teitlebaum will be there if Shafer has a bad spell.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:34 pm

Griffin, Pacheco, and Poitras are locks. The others can be meaningful contributors. The most difficult decision will be between Griffin and Poitras for 3rd attackman; different styles. And you have on the bench already Jack Raba, who's no slouch.

I think Shafer starts in goal to begin the season, and Teitlebaum will be there if Shafer has a bad spell.
I wouldn't rule out Scanlan being played on attack since he will be drawing a poll ragardless and it will allow him to rest his legs and get involved in transition opportunities.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm

I wouldn't rule out Scanlan being played on attack since he will be drawing a poll ragardless and it will allow him to rest his legs and get involved in transition opportunities.

I've seen others suggest that too. But I don't think it will happen. I look at Scanlan like a Deemer Class middie...skilled offensively and likes to dodge from up top. Plus, you want to maximize your team skills; I think when you see Griffin and Poitras, I think you will say that Toomey needs those guys on the field as well.

I really like our chances next year, which sounds insane if you think we lost Pat and Jacob. But every position is so solid with the one exception of goalie. Just not sure if either Shafer or Teitelbaum is ready for that, but in their favor will be a stout defense. I'd prefer to start the 2020 season against an offense not as offensively loaded as UVA for the first game of the season, to give whichever goalie a head-start on confidence.

Bottom line: I feel better about next year than I did this year. We will be a different look without Pat running the O, but our extra year development of all the returning players plus a better freshman class next year spells good things.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:03 pm

I've seen others suggest that too. But I don't think it will happen. I look at Scanlan like a Deemer Class middie...skilled offensively and likes to dodge from up top. Plus, you want to maximize your team skills; I think when you see Griffin and Poitras, I think you will say that Toomey needs those guys on the field as well.

I really like our chances next year, which sounds insane if you think we lost Pat and Jacob. But every position is so solid with the one exception of goalie. Just not sure if either Shafer or Teitelbaum is ready for that, but in their favor will be a stout defense. I'd prefer to start the 2020 season against an offense not as offensively loaded as UVA for the first game of the season, to give whichever goalie a head-start on confidence.

Bottom line: I feel better about next year than I did this year. We will be a different look without Pat running the O, but our extra year development of all the returning players plus a better freshman class next year spells good things.
Watched a little YouTube and both guys are impressive. Poitras starting would mean 3 lefties which can be done but is also rare. Griffin doesn't look like he's necessarily a step on the field and play from day 1 guy but he's got some ability. Both look to have enough size and speed to run through the box if necessary. Itll be fun to see what they come up with. Van Arsdale has had it easy enough for 3 years. Now he gets to earn his pay.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:03 pm

I like Shafer in goal, just needs to get in shape... Motivation for the summer. We are forgetting about Pridmore at attack, he can could step right in. I thought Raba was heavy on his feet, not the quickest. I also believe that the returning middies will do a much better job creating and drawing the doubles for the attack.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

would the defense fare much better against UVA or other offense heavy teams? sure they only scored 9 of us this year but not only did they hit 3-4 pipes on outside looks and quick sticks, but stover outright stole some goals when D missed rotations, and slides.

Obviously 5 of the starting 6 are coming back with the last addition probably being Hughes/Johnson/ Cam James is a great defender out of NAPS from what i hear, but a good goalie needs to make the stops when the defense breaks down.

Thank GOD Toomey is a great Goalie coach though to help alleviate this
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

PB not to play devils advocate, but what makes you feel so confident that every position is loaded? is it because of the guys coming back, the guys in development, deep bench?

only asking because IL/USLAX never gave much praise to the team other than the attack/goalie/specialists

Edit: Yes IL/USLAX isn't the greatest indicator of good analysis on teams and their personnel given the bias thats exhibited
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:51 pm PB not to play devils advocate, but what makes you feel so confident that every position is loaded? is it because of the guys coming back, the guys in development, deep bench?

only asking because IL/USLAX never gave much praise to the team other than the attack/goalie/specialists

Edit: Yes IL/USLAX isn't the greatest indicator of good analysis on teams and their personnel given the bias thats exhibited

Attack: Lindley check. Olmstead check. Both players would start on most D1 teams. Need one more player; Griffin and Poitras could also start on most D1 teams next year, plus you have Raba and perhaps Pridemore who are also stellar players. If either of those two meshes well with Lindley and Olsmtead, watch out for masisve offensive numbers next year.

Midfield: Pacheco alleviates a ton of worry for me here; the kid will get better and better each day of playing time. McCarthy, Bateman, Bennus, Higgins, Boland, Cox, Swindell, Scanlan, Cain, Wigley. You have at least 5 really good players in this group, not counting the incoming freshmen.

LSM: McNulty, Middelton, Shires. All very good.

Defense: Johnson, Railey, Hughes, Bonser, LeBlanc, King, Wyers, James. As good a returning defensive squad in the whole country. I'd put that squad up against anybody.

FOGO: Bailey. The kid got better and better., Now he has someone to at least spell him a few times. Cottone and Pacheco. That's a two-fer.

Goalie is our only question mark. I do not know which one is better, Shafer or Teitelbaum. Shafer is tall, Teitelbaum short. It'll be interesting to see who the coaches select to start. I know this: facing OLmstead, Lindley, and Scanlan every day in practice, will surely help each get better.

I like our chances next year. The boys will play with somewhat of a chip on their shoulder, as some will think this past year's success was all predicated on Pat and Jacob. Stover for sure kept us in a few games we probably should have lost. But the reason we could have lost some games (but didn't, probably because of Pat and Jacob) is where we are much stronger next year: FOGO and defense.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

the tough OOC every year (don't forget G'Town!) is probably done just to ensure if the team doesn't win the PL. The wins against UVA, Hopkins and Georgetown this year really helped to get us in since we slipped up in the Semis. I don't like the daunting OOC schedule either but when you're a top 20 team you need to book a top 20 SOS/RPI rated schedule as well. 2 Big 10, 2 ACC, 1 CAA, 1 Big East. That's 2 maybe 3 of the power 5 conferences in lacrosse that we play for OOC.

PB, with all the scouting and insight you have on these players mentioned i gotta ask-were you a coach for youth/club/highschool? Are you from the areas which these kids play? Because you have a keen eye for analysis and talent.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:46 am the tough OOC every year (don't forget G'Town!) is probably done just to ensure if the team doesn't win the PL. The wins against UVA, Hopkins and Georgetown this year really helped to get us in since we slipped up in the Semis. I don't like the daunting OOC schedule either but when you're a top 20 team you need to book a top 20 SOS/RPI rated schedule as well. 2 Big 10, 2 ACC, 1 CAA, 1 Big East. That's 2 maybe 3 of the power 5 conferences in lacrosse that we play for OOC.

PB, with all the scouting and insight you have on these players mentioned i gotta ask-were you a coach for youth/club/highschool? Are you from the areas which these kids play? Because you have a keen eye for analysis and talent.

No, like a lot of washed up laxers, I spend too much time trying to figure out if my team will perform this year and next!

I do like the Hounds' chances next year. I like everything about the team, with that glaring hole in goal. One of those two players will need to step up. What makes me somewhat less animated than I would be otherwise about goalie is our defense will be lights out; our defense (ironically) might be our best position next year...and that's a huge change but one that any coach strives for.

I also love the fact that Savio kept getting better numbers as the season progressed, and helping there next year are two incoming FO's guys who can rest him every so often.

And let's not forget that when Pat had 'off' games, both Lindley and Olmstead really stepped up. These two are ready for prime time.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 am
houndace1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:46 am the tough OOC every year (don't forget G'Town!) is probably done just to ensure if the team doesn't win the PL. The wins against UVA, Hopkins and Georgetown this year really helped to get us in since we slipped up in the Semis. I don't like the daunting OOC schedule either but when you're a top 20 team you need to book a top 20 SOS/RPI rated schedule as well. 2 Big 10, 2 ACC, 1 CAA, 1 Big East. That's 2 maybe 3 of the power 5 conferences in lacrosse that we play for OOC.

No, like a lot of washed up laxers, I spend too much time trying to figure out if my team will perform this year and next!

I do like the Hounds' chances next year. I like everything about the team, with that glaring hole in goal. One of those two players will need to step up. What makes me somewhat less animated than I would be otherwise about goalie is our defense will be lights out; our defense (ironically) might be our best position next year...and that's a huge change but one that any coach strives for.

I also love the fact that Savio kept getting better numbers as the season progressed, and helping there next year are two incoming FO's guys who can rest him every so often.

And let's not forget that when Pat had 'off' games, both Lindley and Olmstead really stepped up. These two are ready for prime time.
Given that you played lacrosse ( i never did, was a baseball guy growing up, been a fan since 2012 when my sister was a Hopkins undergrad so i'm a fan of them too but), do college offenses always need an X/QB attackman to put up points, draw doubles, etc? There were times this year where pat didn't initiate a dodge or draw a slide and let the teammates do their thing and the offense still scored. I believe that like basketball, rapid ball movement will break down defensive rotations, so circle passes with rapid sticks could work. This all is predicated by a hard dodge to beat the defender but still, just my thoughts
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:06 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 am

Given that you played lacrosse ( i never did, was a baseball guy growing up, been a fan since 2012 when my sister was a Hopkins undergrad so i'm a fan of them too but), do college offenses always need an X/QB attackman to put up points, draw doubles, etc? There were times this year where pat didn't initiate a dodge or draw a slide and let the teammates do their thing and the offense still scored. I believe that like basketball, rapid ball movement will break down defensive rotations, so circle passes with rapid sticks could work. This all is predicated by a hard dodge to beat the defender but still, just my thoughts

The only time it really matters is at season's end, when the competition heats up and gets toughest, it's nice to have that one guy you know can rely on to initiate. Otherwise, the season is a mix of various players trying their hand at the same thing. It takes many games for most teams to realize who their 'go-to' player is. And some teams, like this year's UVA, have several and not just one they can lean on.

Olmstead to me seemed like he broke out toward the end of the year. He really began to shake loose from his defenders. I'd expect him to have a breakout year next year.,

Scanlan seemed to not accelerate like I thought, but honestly, we probably wore the kid down. For a lot of the season, he ran up and down the field, plus was almost our primary dodger behind Pat.

Lindley is most useful with his off ball movement and ability to be in the right place at the right time. If you have three dodging threats in Olsmtead, Scanlan, and (for my money) Griffin, Lindley will rack up goals next year like a thief in a store with no security. Poitras is imo more of a feeder, and also an off ball movement guy, but Griffin can shake and bake. I'd use Lindley to put the ball in the net, again. If Pacheco is who I think he is, this team will be a handful for everyone; Charley arguably has more numbers of talent next year, though not the superstars. It's heresy to admit it, but I think we will be better next year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”