houndace1

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by houndace1 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:31 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:11 am
houndace1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm
viper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm Calvert Hall FOGO Tyler Dunn, a rising high school senior, just committed to Hopkins. Is this the Tinney effect already bearing fruit? Local kid from an MIAA powerhouse, relatively late commit—just what the doctor ordered. Now do midfield!
Great commit!

DocBarrister 8-)
Kids a good one. Was the number 2 fogo this year behind Cattone who will be at Loyola next year. Came away with a win percentage in the 60’s. He will be the number 1 fogo in the “tour for four” next year. Transferred into the Hall this year and I believe he was also being courted by the Terps and Wahoos.

So it seems the Jays might still have some recruiting cred left despite the rumors of their demise.
Whats the cred on Dunn and Cattone on their FO performances in the MIAA for this most recent season? i've been hearing some hype on both of these guys
According to IL, together they went 16-26 against LB in the MIAA semifinal (Dunn was 9/11) and then 18-25 against St. Mary's in the final (Dunn was 6/8). Don't know how strong the opposing faceoff guys were though. Petro attended these games at Towson (I recall Booker Corrigan noting that he was there to watch incoming freshman attackman Ian Krampf of St. Mary's) so maybe he was also watching out for Dunn and others at the same time. And of course with Hopkins out of the NCAAs he actually had a chance to see his son play for BL.
Seriously, the reason Petro was there was his son (who, BTW, is the real deal plus some). He's a quite faithful watcher of his boys, always quietly.

I've bumped into him numerous times over the years during the youth ball process, leaning on a fence watching them play. One of the things I've liked.
being the son of an NCAA Div 1 Head Coach, does that almost ensure a roster spot on a team. due to his name, and playing ability from what i hear, wouldn't he be automatically recruited/ or gain a spot on the team at hopkins if he decides to play college lacrosse.
i.e Calipari for Kentucky, Desko with Syracuse/Boeheim with Cuse
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

houndace1 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:35 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:31 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:11 am
houndace1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm
viper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm Calvert Hall FOGO Tyler Dunn, a rising high school senior, just committed to Hopkins. Is this the Tinney effect already bearing fruit? Local kid from an MIAA powerhouse, relatively late commit—just what the doctor ordered. Now do midfield!
Great commit!

DocBarrister 8-)
Kids a good one. Was the number 2 fogo this year behind Cattone who will be at Loyola next year. Came away with a win percentage in the 60’s. He will be the number 1 fogo in the “tour for four” next year. Transferred into the Hall this year and I believe he was also being courted by the Terps and Wahoos.

So it seems the Jays might still have some recruiting cred left despite the rumors of their demise.
Whats the cred on Dunn and Cattone on their FO performances in the MIAA for this most recent season? i've been hearing some hype on both of these guys
According to IL, together they went 16-26 against LB in the MIAA semifinal (Dunn was 9/11) and then 18-25 against St. Mary's in the final (Dunn was 6/8). Don't know how strong the opposing faceoff guys were though. Petro attended these games at Towson (I recall Booker Corrigan noting that he was there to watch incoming freshman attackman Ian Krampf of St. Mary's) so maybe he was also watching out for Dunn and others at the same time. And of course with Hopkins out of the NCAAs he actually had a chance to see his son play for BL.
Seriously, the reason Petro was there was his son (who, BTW, is the real deal plus some). He's a quite faithful watcher of his boys, always quietly.

I've bumped into him numerous times over the years during the youth ball process, leaning on a fence watching them play. One of the things I've liked.
being the son of an NCAA Div 1 Head Coach, does that almost ensure a roster spot on a team. due to his name, and playing ability from what i hear, wouldn't he be automatically recruited/ or gain a spot on the team at hopkins if he decides to play college lacrosse.
i.e Calipari for Kentucky, Desko with Syracuse/Boeheim with Cuse
Think it depends on the kid. Kyle Marr for example.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I am not sure I understand the question - from what I hear the about the twin on BL varsity the kid's name could be Seymour Butts or Amanda Huggenkis and he is going to be recruited by everybody under the sun. If the question is - JUST because he is Petro's kid will he get recruited or will Hopkins automatically take him? Well, probably somebody in the coaching brethern would give him a spot as a solid for Petro provided the kid didn't soak up any money and could somehow justify being on a team (again this assumes the kid is not a star but just an OK/marginal player - which is not the case here). As far as Hopkins - I think the issue is obvious - if Petro is the coach and one or both of his twins want to play for him - then they will likely be on the team. If Petro is not the coach - would he want his boys to go there? Would they want to? One might think not.
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

If he's not the coach see John Haus and what his kids did when he was fired (who both grew up UNC fans) as the prime example of what will transpire.
I guarantee the son playing attack for BL is going to be a top 10 recruit before he's done HS (would not be surprised if he is ranked first). If he does choose Hopkins I believe he would be able to go there for free per their free college tuition for employees children program, so he would not take up any scholarship money; that's a nice perk to get one of the top players in the country and and not have to use any of the 12.6 on him.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:32 pm If he's not the coach see John Haus and what his kids did when he was fired (who both grew up UNC fans) as the prime example of what will transpire.
I guarantee the son playing attack for BL is going to be a top 10 recruit before he's done HS (would not be surprised if he is ranked first). If he does choose Hopkins I believe he would be able to go there for free per their free college tuition for employees children program, so he would not take up any scholarship money; that's a nice perk to get one of the top players in the country and and not have to use any of the 12.6 on him.

I believe the way the NCAA limits on scholarships work is that any support, academic or anything else that a kid receives counts towards the limit. But that may be true only if there’s also a portion that is athletic money.

If that’s the case then indeed it would not impact the amount of lax scholarships available.

As I said, he’s definitely the real deal and then some. I didn’t see the brother play this year so don’t know if that’s the case for both kids.

On choice of school, some kids like the idea of playing for dad, others want to do their own thing.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

News from the SEC. Could be a great idea for Hopkins:

SANDESTIN, Fla. - The Southeastern Conference today announced a revision to its existing limitations on the availability of alcoholic beverages at athletics events. Under this revised policy, each institution in the Conference now has the autonomy to determine the permissibility of selling alcoholic beverages in its athletics venues, subject to certain Conference-wide alcohol management expectations.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

seacoaster wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:27 pm So the Doyle Smith Cup remains in Charlottesville for the foreseeable future?
Yup.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:27 pm So the Doyle Smith Cup remains in Charlottesville for the foreseeable future?
Yup.
Both teams play the Terps so maybe they could take the larger point differential against the Terps.
Or the larger total point differential against the Terps, Syracuse, and UNC.
Live Free or Die!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Cooter wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:35 pm
Yup.
Both teams play the Terps so maybe they could take the larger point differential against the Terps.
Marijuana isn’t legal in MD yet.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Per Ty Xander "Rising sophomore LSM Michael Ubriaco (
@BoysLatinLax
, Md.) will transfer from
@NovaLacrosse
to
@TerpsMLAX
. IL's No. 87 recruit played in all 15 games for the Wildcats, racking up three goals, 25 groundballs and 13 caused turnovers."

Former long time JHU commit will join Maryland next fall.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:46 pm
Yup.
Maybe they could have a fall ball scrimmage for the trophy. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Cooter wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:35 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:46 pm
Yup.
Maybe they could have a fall ball scrimmage for the trophy. :idea:
I’m hoping Hopkins cans the fall scrimmages except for the annual pummeling of the ancient alumni.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

C’mon folks. We’re falling behind around here.

Let’s up the page count!

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

D3 CWS continues today. 215 PM.

Hopkins baseball has made the Final 6. Win the first game today, they’ll be in the final four, but would then need to win two must win games to advance to the D3 Final. Hopkins has one loss (10th inning play at the plate last night). Another loss in their next three potential games eliminates them.

Go Jays!

Details on how to follow them are on the hopkinssports.com website.

W
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:59 am D3 CWS continues today. 215 PM.

Hopkins baseball has made the Final 6. Win the first game today, they’ll be in the final four, but would then need to win two must win games to advance to the D3 Final. Hopkins has one loss (10th inning play at the plate last night). Another loss in their next three potential games eliminates them.

Go Jays!

Details on how to follow them are on the hopkinssports.com website.

W
Go Bob Babb!

BTW, one of the star players, Mike Eberle, was one of the winners in the Hopkins business plan competition this spring. Impressive young man.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hopkins advances. Now playing at 845 tonight. Semifinals.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:39 am C’mon folks. We’re falling behind around here.

Let’s up the page count!

Next week we get the lookaheads showing we lose 2 ssdms, an lsm, and an attackman. In august a kid most of us have not heard about will decommit and another who played 1 game will transfer to a mid major. In september a top 10 class will enter while 3-4 guys we never saw play will dissapear from the roster without comment from the university. In october they'll play a few meaningless scrimmages where Petro will deflect a multitude of questions about why the program has been largely garbage in May for a decade plus while he rolls out the same 17 of 21 guys who put forth one of the worst efforts of any team in school history promising that he's reviewed everything about the program spoken to other leaders in sports, gotten some new ideas and btw can you spare a few bones because while football may have 2x the roster size and dominates with 1/10th the budget lacrosse is still starved for $. In december/january the season previews will come out with us as a 10-12 ranked nationally program (ohio state/towson/rutgers territory) and 3rd ranked team in the conference with Epstein on a tewaraton watch list. In february largely the same inconsistent and enigmatic roster will roll out against diminished in state rival teams and we'll end up back in the b1g tournament, a fringe ncaa at large and one and done or two and done next may blown out by an acc program.

During that time there'll be hundreds of pages hyping talented kids who will never get a shot to play next year because Petro is unflinchingly loyal to guys he deems irreplaceable and unaccountable. We'll hear that Hopkins fans have expectations are too high and they don't know anything because what we see in games with our own eyes and stats are clearly lying, that no one wants to play at Hopkins anymore, that its the administrations fault we can't stop anyone in may, that we're too mean to players, that Hopkins gets too much coverage, that because of parity Hopkins shouldn't expect to be in may that often anymore (even tho duke, maryland, notre dame and uva have become perennial attendees), attacking Hopkins early recruiting and I'm forgetting a few other things. Maybe a once month Wombat ban.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:42 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:39 am C’mon folks. We’re falling behind around here.

Let’s up the page count!

Next week we get the lookaheads showing we lose 2 ssdms, an lsm, and an attackman. In august a kid most of us have not heard about will decommit and another who played 1 game will transfer to a mid major. In september a top 10 class will enter while 3-4 guys we never saw play will dissapear from the roster without comment from the university. In october they'll play a few meaningless scrimmages where Petro will deflect a multitude of questions about why the program has been largely garbage in May for a decade plus while he rolls out the same 17 of 21 guys who put forth one of the worst efforts of any team in school history promising that he's reviewed everything about the program spoken to other leaders in sports, gotten some new ideas and btw can you spare a few bones because while football may have 2x the roster size and dominates with 1/10th the budget lacrosse is still starved for $. In december/january the season previews will come out with us as a 10-12 ranked nationally program (ohio state/towson/rutgers territory) and 3rd ranked team in the conference with Epstein on a tewaraton watch list. In february largely the same inconsistent and enigmatic roster will roll out against diminished in state rival teams and we'll end up back in the b1g tournament, a fringe ncaa at large and one and done or two and done next may blown out by an acc program.

During that time there'll be hundreds of pages hyping talented kids who will never get a shot to play next year because Petro is unflinchingly loyal to guys he deems irreplaceable and unaccountable. We'll hear that Hopkins fans have expectations are too high and they don't know anything because what we see in games with our own eyes and stats are clearly lying, that no one wants to play at Hopkins anymore, that its the administrations fault we can't stop anyone in may, that we're too mean to players, that Hopkins gets too much coverage, that because of parity Hopkins shouldn't expect to be in may that often anymore (even tho duke, maryland, notre dame and uva have become perennial attendees), attacking Hopkins early recruiting and I'm forgetting a few other things. Maybe a once month Wombat ban.
Sounds like a plan! Let’s proceed!!! Go Hop!!!!!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Birmingham Southern ends Hopkins' baseball run 15-4. Still - a magical season for the DIII component of the athletic program comes to a close. Congratulations to Coahc Babb and all the teams.

'06 -there is such vitriol in your post it hides some of the kernels of truth. One thing I disagree with - alot - is that the team "puts forth on of the worst efforts". There's a big difference between record and effort. If the Maryland games represent nothing else - they represent effort and not quitting.

Also - Zinn was a puzzlement. Not that he wouldn't make mistakes but he brought a badly needed skill set that no other mid-fielder has and it seemed to this cub reporter that you couldn't afford the luxury of letting him stand there for half the season. If Giacalone starts next year and has a save percentage of 55% then maybe we can point there as well. 45 minutes is not a season but it is worth thinking about why it wasn't attempted sooner. I assume it was primarily because he blamed himself on the Logan/Turnbaugh dumpster fire and was trying not to repeat it. But aside from those two issues - maybe a little bit of SSDM - I don't see the players on the bench wasting away in Margaritaville. He's playing the better players.

Your first couple sentences are a product of roster sizes in the 50's. Hopkins does not owe you, me or anyone other than the players any "comments". I don't have a problem with fall scrimmages. It is probably fun for the players - you can adopt the Duke model and include a cupcake or two in the season. Fall scrimmages are the absolute least of the issues.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:00 pm Hopkins advances. Now playing at 845 tonight. Semifinals.
Wait, but I thought Daniels and Shanahan were the scourge of Hopkins athletics and solely responsible for the continued failure of every program and that everything is ruined forever, again, because of them?

Back to lacrosse—'06 has probably been working on that one all season. Only a few run-on sentences and it actually includes some punctuation.

This "losing 3-4 kids from the roster" obsession strikes me as weird. It's neither a mystery nor a scandal. It happens. It happens at Maryland, it happens at Duke, it happens at Virginia, and it happens at Hopkins. Every year a couple guys leave the team. It's not some great indictment of the Hopkins lacrosse program that a fourth string LSM from Colorado wanted to move back home and play for a school closer to home. Like 51 said, if there's a problem it's that there's probably too many kids on the roster. When's the last time a guy left the team and became a difference maker somewhere else? It's not like there are All-Americans just hiding on the bench, waiting to be unleashed at another program. (Well, except maybe Zinn, but hopefully that changes very soon.)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”