The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
OCanada

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by OCanada »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:50 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:05 pm Can anyone explain why Kamala wants to nearly double the Long-Term Capitol Gains tax and how that impacts each and everyone of us, for instance when we go to sell a home or any other investment?

If you go to here website, its like a damned gofundme site...bombarded with donation popups .
I can't tell you her reasons, but in general capital gains rates below regular income rates rewards capital investment (a good thing) but this reward is overwhelmingly benefiting the very most wealthy in society, including those who earn little regular income from direct work and instead merely deploy capital (or have someone do that for them). There's very little justification for that form of wealth accumulation to not be taxed the way actual work is taxed.

We can debate the merits of specific policies if you'd like, including carveouts for things like primary home and family farms, but in general I think our capital gains rates are too low. And that's coming from someone acutely aware of managing some family assets to avoid capital gains as best as possible under the rules.
I understand all that, but as you noted, you and those with careers that support these 'manipulative tax' issues, are already navigating the system to avoid the tax penalty, only to now have it double under her plan.

I thought I read it was for people with incomes >1mm/yearly combined, but I beleieve that was for something entirely different in her plan. Fudging income becomes an easily manipulative task and what it seems to do is fug-up everyone else that are doing things by the book, stayed in home for decades, paid it off, plan on that money being a large portion of retirement, etc-etc; the 'middle-class' that they claim they are 'for'.
Utilizing a system isn't the same thing as supporting it.
I am quite aware...I deal with this daily. Which argues the point further. The ramifications of her plan has the potential for significant unintended consequences of major businesses wanting to continue to business here.
Seriously? Somehow I think this is more pablum for the MAGA group think. She is a job creator. You sound like the small business folk who argue against raising the minimum wage.

https://www.investopedia.com/unrealized ... on-8703570
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OCanada wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:17 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:05 pm Can anyone explain why Kamala wants to nearly double the Long-Term Capitol Gains tax and how that impacts each and everyone of us, for instance when we go to sell a home or any other investment?

If you go to here website, its like a damned gofundme site...bombarded with donation popups .
I can't tell you her reasons, but in general capital gains rates below regular income rates rewards capital investment (a good thing) but this reward is overwhelmingly benefiting the very most wealthy in society, including those who earn little regular income from direct work and instead merely deploy capital (or have someone do that for them). There's very little justification for that form of wealth accumulation to not be taxed the way actual work is taxed.

We can debate the merits of specific policies if you'd like, including carveouts for things like primary home and family farms, but in general I think our capital gains rates are too low. And that's coming from someone acutely aware of managing some family assets to avoid capital gains as best as possible under the rules.
I understand all that, but as you noted, you and those with careers that support these 'manipulative tax' issues, are already navigating the system to avoid the tax penalty, only to now have it double under her plan.

I thought I read it was for people with incomes >1mm/yearly combined, but I beleieve that was for something entirely different in her plan. Fudging income becomes an easily manipulative task and what it seems to do is fug-up everyone else that are doing things by the book, stayed in home for decades, paid it off, plan on that money being a large portion of retirement, etc-etc; the 'middle-class' that they claim they are 'for'.
I am quite aware...I deal with this daily. Which argues the point further. The ramifications of her plan has the potential for significant unintended consequences of major businesses wanting to continue to business here.
Seriously? Somehow I think this is more pablum for the MAGA group think. She is a job creator. You sound like the small business folk who argue against raising the minimum wage.

Keep the peasants fighting for the ruling class:

https://thehill.com/homenews/4290971-he ... ck-up/amp/
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m not sure she’s a job creator given her background in enforcement of the system which doesn’t align philosophically with growth mindset.

But I also have zero ability to understand YAs point and every time he goes your probity point further I never see it at all and think a lot about these things personally so just give up. He conflated support with usage earlier then argues against it later. It’s illogical-doesn’t follow the way a brain should map this .
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:21 am

https://youtu.be/t3TJcbnBztg?si=Qk04HfwwcYwNpQ39
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:21 am

I feel failure that I’m barely above my cohort mean and it’s all illiquid but like $75k or so
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

PROOF of grocery store price gouging ~ Emails from Kroger surface proving the grocery store raised prices well beyond the rate of inflation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TR5jroUb5A

Kroger, walmart, albersons, safeway, etc. - they ALL price gouge. Also known as corporate greed ... This is GOP corporate greed at its finest. Disgusting ... Four companies in the USA control 85% of beef processing, 80% of corn seed distribution, 77% of fertilizer production, and 69% of grocery sales. Minimal competition means/leads to maximal price gouging. Theodore Roosevelt oversaw the busting of monopolies, perhaps that is what’s in order. Idk tho. Food for thought ... The egg industry themselves just had to pay a huge fine because of price gouging I think it was like 7 billion ...

While the delusional right wing blames Biden the real cause of inflation is Republican profit maximization. The proof is all there.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Genius analysis - Youtube

Grocery industry profit margins fall to pre-pandemic levels: FMI
Same-store sales growth has also declined after spiking during the COVID-19 pandemic, the trade group noted in its latest report.

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran's headshot
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:
After spiking during the pandemic, profit margins and same-store sales growth have fallen back to pre-pandemic levels for the grocery industry, FMI — The Food Industry Association said in a report released last week.
Only 38% of surveyed food retailers said they expect their same-store sales to grow in 2024 while just 13% predict net profits will increase, according to the trade group’s The Food Retailing Industry Speaks 2024 report.
Food retailers are focusing on improving cost controls and cutting unnecessary expenses that do not drive value, FMI found.

Dive Insight:
Out-of-stocks, employee retention, supply chain woes and transportation issues have recently improved for the grocery industry, but supermarkets continue to face a myriad of other challenges, the report noted.

Last year saw supercenters gain a competitive advantage over conventional grocers, which are also facing stiffer rivals from club stores, restaurants and e-tailers, FMI reported. Societal challenges like lack of civility, drugs, theft and violence are also top concerns for the industry.

In 2023, profit margins in the grocery industry hit 1.6% — the lowest level since it was 1% in 2019 — as total expenses increased, FMI found. The industry’s slowed same-store sales growth of 2.1% last year was driven by inflation.

Grocery industry’s same-store sales growth and profit margins have fallen back to pre-pandemic levels
Both peaked in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic

Consumer perceptions of value have evolved from a simple price-quantity ratio to a more complex matrix of personal values, needs and priorities that take into consideration quality, relevance, experience and convenience, FMI found.

“Retailers and suppliers said they need to enhance price and value strategies in the face of pressures on unit sales, even as inflation edges downward,” FMI said in the report. “They anticipate more investments in promotional spending and ongoing focus on private brands as strong value alternatives.”

To enhance in-store shopping and differentiation, most surveyed grocers said they are looking to expand space for fresh departments including foodservice, make more space for private brands and increase the number of SKUs for local products.

Labor remains a tough area for the industry as grocers improve their recruitment and retention strategies yet face rising costs. Average employee turnover dropped last year after hitting a high in 2022. FMI noted that a growing share of food retailers are looking to find ways from higher salaries to flex time to boost the retention of full- and part-time workers.

However, retailers said they expect healthcare costs, which increased for workers in 2023, to rise even more in 2024, with an average predicted increase of 4.2%, the report noted. FMI said food retailers are likely to see the cost of healthcare benefits increase more than 12% over two years.

Most companies said they expect their training costs, which typically average more than $600 per employee for food retailers, to increase further this year.

In a promising sign for grocers, food-at-home price increases and wage growth have finally converged, indicating that groceries are becoming easier for shoppers to afford, the report found.

The Speaks report, which was prepared by FMI and David Orgel Consulting LLC to give a bird’s eye view of the industry, used data from a survey earlier this year completed by 93 food retail and wholesale companies as well as survey data from a sample of 30 food product suppliers.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

One of the things Project 2025 implementation will "achieve."

No immigrants (read, slaves), no meat packing and other low-skilled, hard to automate food industries. You think food is expensive now...

"For locals, a plant that was supposed to provide more than 900 factory jobs seemed like a godsend. At the time, Gov. Dolph Briscoe made Swift’s president an honorary Texan and went to Cactus to raise the Swift flag personally. “Texas is on the verge of the greatest development we ever had,” the governor predicted. Instead, Swift depressed wages by hiring so-called boat people from Vietnam, and beginning in the mid-1980s, those workers were largely replaced by an even less protected labor force — undocumented immigrants who were in part fleeing the drug wars in Mexico and Guatemala.

After the raids in 2006, the company needed to replenish its work force fast. Swift executives set up a war room where they posted maps on the walls and circled target cities for recruitment. The company’s H.R. team advertised on the radio and in local newspapers. They bought space on billboards. They sent representatives to job fairs and set up a recruitment station at unemployment offices. But few workers would bite. Finally, Swift started offering free bus service to Cactus from Amarillo. Somali refugees began to apply, and in 2007, after JBS acquired Swift, it stepped up the hiring of refugees to maintain production."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/02/opin ... risis.html
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:28 am Genius analysis - Youtube

Same-store sales growth has also declined after spiking during the COVID-19 pandemic, the trade group noted in its latest report.

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:
After spiking during the pandemic, profit margins and same-store sales growth have fallen back to pre-pandemic levels for the grocery industry, FMI — The Food Industry Association said in a report released last week.
Only 38% of surveyed food retailers said they expect their same-store sales to grow in 2024 while just 13% predict net profits will increase, according to the trade group’s The Food Retailing Industry Speaks 2024 report.
Food retailers are focusing on improving cost controls and cutting unnecessary expenses that do not drive value, FMI found.

Dive Insight:
Out-of-stocks, employee retention, supply chain woes and transportation issues have recently improved for the grocery industry, but supermarkets continue to face a myriad of other challenges, the report noted.

Last year saw supercenters gain a competitive advantage over conventional grocers, which are also facing stiffer rivals from club stores, restaurants and e-tailers, FMI reported. Societal challenges like lack of civility, drugs, theft and violence are also top concerns for the industry.

In 2023, profit margins in the grocery industry hit 1.6% — the lowest level since it was 1% in 2019 — as total expenses increased, FMI found. The industry’s slowed same-store sales growth of 2.1% last year was driven by inflation.
As you know (but others here may not) these margins are a storewide aggregate, and do NOT mean that higher markups don't happen.

I have NEVER had a grocery store mark down our spirits. And at a minimum, their mark up is 25%. Higher in California. For our top end whiskies? Even higher mark up.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not for nothing, but 1.6% is 60% higher margin than 1%.

This is an average across an industry that is consolidating with smaller retailers squeezed hard by larger companies taking increasing share.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:05 pm This is an average across an industry that is consolidating with smaller retailers squeezed hard by larger companies taking increasing share.
Yep. My brother is a member of the largest co-op of independent grocers in the US. He said their co-op was hoping for the Kroger-Aldersons (& Safeway) merger to go through, (which Lina Khan's FTC has blocked), so there'd be someone big enough to compete with Walmart (& Sam's club) who they see as their primary predatory threat. He says that Kroger is non-union & very well managed company ; Aldersons is union & afu -- at least that's the consensus of his co-op of independents.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:43 pm

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:

Dive Insight:

As you know (but others here may not) these margins are a storewide aggregate, and do NOT mean that higher markups don't happen.

I have NEVER had a grocery store mark down our spirits. And at a minimum, their mark up is 25%. Higher in California. For our top end whiskies? Even higher mark up.
In the long run an industry especially a retail delivery channel, is going to get squeezed on margin and sometimes you take your pound of flesh and it should work out in the long run. That’s how long term business relationships work which is what customer and retailer are.

And some morons conflating the grocer with the producer like a Tyson is retarded I’m sorry but this tired reconciling “analysis” by one worsen is just so dumb and complain a** pathetic that I cannot let it slide ever.

Grocers live in thim margins and are not the reason for any inflation. N the guy posting that stuff is a moron and needs to stop being so dumb. That business is so tight and the math reflects this that they cannot be responsible for inflation. Even with that 12-18mo temporal bump in margins to, holy fng turd 3-3.5%!!!!!!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:05 pm Not for nothing, but 1.6% is 60% higher margin than 1%.

This is an average across an industry that is consolidating with smaller retailers squeezed hard by larger companies taking increasing share.
Are you pissing in 1.6% margins as “too high”.

Have you seen what rent and occupancy costs have been for this same sector the last twenty years? Seriously this is dumb. Blame the financialization of CRE in since the change in the tax code
In the mid 80s and evolutions of both REITs and securitization has more
To do with this than grocers.

And again tossing in egg or poultry producer bad behavior with grocers is stuff I and bad faith conflation of two different businesses and business models. We
Shouldn’t even be entertaining that dumbass stupid post and just dismiss it as the stupid thoughtless advocate garbage it is.

Watch this clown claim I offer no solutions but what is this complain ass dudes conclusion he’s just tossing bombs at a really tough industry. Then he will be a bigger complain when a couple grocers go under and now there’s more dollar general fueled deserts that are caused by his stupid inaccurate and incorrect analysis drove a few grocers under and point the finger again instead of realizing their bs drove the situation to where it is today.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

[youtube][/youtube]

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:

Dive Insight:

Why don’t you ask Dmac about his fairly shopping habits and all the marked down stuff he buys? That they lose their shirt in as if goes bad if he doesn’t buy it.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:11 pm [youtube][/youtube]

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:

Dive Insight:

Why don’t you ask Dmac about his fairly shopping habits and all the marked down stuff he buys? That they lose their shirt in as if goes bad if he doesn’t buy it.
I would love to eat with DMac. I just don’t want him to tell me which meat he bought on clearance!!
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:

Dive Insight:

Depends on the grocer.

Last year? I got 60,000 lbs from California's best Pear Orchard for .20 on the dollar. Know why? WalMart refused to honor their contract, which happens most years. These grocers have more power than you may (may....you may be all over this) realize to stick it to suppliers.

So we're on standby for them every year to pick up beautiful pears that would otherwise go to waste.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:19 pm

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:

Dive Insight:

Depends on the grocer.

Last year? I got 60,000 lbs from California's best Pear Orchard for .20 on the dollar. Know why? WalMart refused to honor their contract, which happens most years. These grocers have more power than you may (may....you may be all over this) realize to stick it to suppliers.

So we're on standby for them every year to pick up beautiful pears that would otherwise go to waste.

Walmart doesn’t equal Kroger/wegmanns/alberstons/publix/etc

Yes they could be called a grocer today but that isn’t what they are. They are the only coming in the world to have a positive cash conversion cycle of any retailer by a margin. (Meaning they sell inventory in average faster than they pay suppliers which is unheard of for literally everyone else in the world). The rest are a very different animal. And most grocers wouldn’t be able to carry your product anyway we’re talking super tight thin margins. The analysis that they are the pricing problem Va the commodity supplier whose industry hasn’t been properly managed by antitrust regulatory oversight. To suggest it’s the grocers is why one stupid though. They’re more likely to go out of business than be a reason for inflation that’s reality. I’m responding to the ask idiot who tosses bombs here. Grocers are NOT the reason for inflation. Biden’s second stimulus round is far more responsible but watch that hitachi try to deny and deflect on that.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:19 pm

Published July 3, 2024
Catherine Douglas Moran
Editor

Dive Brief:

Dive Insight:

Depends on the grocer.

Walmart doesn’t equal Kroger/wegmanns/alberstons/publix/etc

Yes they could be called a grocer today but that isn’t what they are. They are the only coming in the world to have a positive cash conversion cycle of any retailer by a margin. (Meaning they sell inventory in average faster than they pay suppliers which is unheard of for literally everyone else in the world). The rest are a very different animal. And most grocers wouldn’t be able to carry your product anyway we’re talking super tight thin margins. The analysis that they are the pricing problem Va the commodity supplier whose industry hasn’t been properly managed by antitrust regulatory oversight. To suggest it’s the grocers is why one stupid though. They’re more likely to go out of business than be a reason for inflation that’s reality. I’m responding to the ask idiot who tosses bombs here. Grocers are NOT the reason for inflation. Biden’s second stimulus round is far more responsible but watch that hitachi try to deny and deflect on that.
How much less would inflation have been without the second round of stimulus? A small difference, a big difference, we would have avoided inflation altogether?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm lmart doesn’t equal Kroger/wegmanns/alberstons/publix/etc
Not yet. But they're trying (see the Kroger-Albertson's merger). Coscto has this much power right now.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm Yes they could be called a grocer today but that isn’t what they are. They are the only coming in the world to have a positive cash conversion cycle of any retailer by a margin. (Meaning they sell inventory in average faster than they pay suppliers which is unheard of for literally everyone else in the world). The rest are a very different animal. And most grocers wouldn’t be able to carry your product anyway we’re talking super tight thin margins.
Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Albertsons, Target, Kroger....all carry our wares at some point during the year, if not year-round.

FWIW....Costco's mark-up is lower than even the biggest liquor chain on our wares (they buy full pallets). The rest are on par or higher.

Just thought you might find the spirits side of the discussion interesting.....
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm The analysis that they are the pricing problem Va the commodity supplier whose industry hasn’t been properly managed by antitrust regulatory oversight. To suggest it’s the grocers is why one stupid though. They’re more likely to go out of business than be a reason for inflation that’s reality. I’m responding to the ask idiot who tosses bombs here.
Yeah, heard. I get it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:38 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm lmart doesn’t equal Kroger/wegmanns/alberstons/publix/etc
Not yet. But they're trying (see the Kroger-Albertson's merger). Coscto has this much power right now.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm Yes they could be called a grocer today but that isn’t what they are. They are the only coming in the world to have a positive cash conversion cycle of any retailer by a margin. (Meaning they sell inventory in average faster than they pay suppliers which is unheard of for literally everyone else in the world). The rest are a very different animal. And most grocers wouldn’t be able to carry your product anyway we’re talking super tight thin margins.
Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Albertsons, Target, Kroger....all carry our wares at some point during the year, if not year-round.

FWIW....Costco's mark-up is lower than even the biggest liquor chain on our wares (they buy full pallets). The rest are on par or higher.

Just thought you might find the spirits side of the discussion interesting.....
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm The analysis that they are the pricing problem Va the commodity supplier whose industry hasn’t been properly managed by antitrust regulatory oversight. To suggest it’s the grocers is why one stupid though. They’re more likely to go out of business than be a reason for inflation that’s reality. I’m responding to the ask idiot who tosses bombs here.
Yeah, heard. I get it.
My whole point is you can’t be serious in your analysis if you suggest the thinnest of margin businesses in the chain are the reason for inflation. That’s just idiotic. But one clown posts “proof”!

Return to “POLITICS”