wgdsr

Re: Recruiting

Post by wgdsr »

RollTheCrease wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:49 pm
SweeptheLeg wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:09 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:38 pm
McLax9777 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:17 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:13 pm USF out of state tuition is listed as 17,3- so without scholarship limits - this is pretty cheap compared to most schools that big time lacrosse. I kinda hope they are offering full rides
Am I wrong? Didn’t USF have a lot of decommits?
Just about 7 I think. Which for the 26 season would leave them sitting at 44 kids. The problem would be only 3 kids are 22s, so if they go and grab a significant amount of 26s, they would be closer to 50 for the 27 year season. They have money to burn so if playing time isn’t a problem, what do they care. Getting a full ride at the beach.
I suspect USF will fully fund 38 scholarships. They aren’t building the new football and wlax only stadium to not go all in on the sport. They already fully fund the Alston Award for their players, which provides athletes up to $5890 per year in cash for achieving a minimum GPA, which most, if not all will meet.

I think USF will start to operate closer to the roster limit of 38. They have aspirations of playing in the ACC or Big12. They need to be ready when conference realignment starts to take shape. I think a player or two will be encouraged to enter the December transfer portal to get them drown to 38 players for their inaugural season. When their 2025s come in they will need to cut 7-8 players to get down to 38.

As others have noted, USF will not be required to do this, but it will not surprise me to see it happen. The 23/24 commits should not get too comfortable. If there are no cuts after this season the team will be carrying 45 players. This will probably be one of the biggest D1 rosters. Depending on how many USF recruits in the 2026 class they could be carrying 48-52 players when that class arrives. This takes into consideration those graduating in the next two years. This is way too big.

The dam will burst at some point. I think it’s reasonable to expect USF will cut 5-8 players in each of the next two years. That will be a tough situation for those players currently there or just getting ready to join the team.
before yesterday, you didn't even realize usf wasn't subject to the house settlement, when several of us explained it to you. even IF the settlement is even approved and a rule is made, it may be challenged immediately. and usf has signalled nada about opting in. your rank speculation here is pretty off the rails. carry on.
Seems like a reasonable assessment of USFs situation. Why would they carry a roster of 45-52 players? May not be what players and parents want to hear, but players will be cut over the next two years.
they'll have 39 players + 2026 recruits. minus anyone who might not stick it out on the bench after this year. where's the 52 number come from? they're not going to be whispering to a couple players this december to enter the portal. that's nutz. i'd also estimate their chances of opting in to roster limits, if they're ever approved, at somewhere around 1%. so there's no urgency to do anything.

i don't know the full backstory on the coach, heard or didn't hear the 2024 or 2025 class was chopped after commitments? if that's the deal, then people should be forewarned and probably already are. not a roster limit boogeyman.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:50 pm No gator recruits yet Surprise to me since they had such a great season
Kids who commit this early usually already know where they want to go but are just waiting for the phone call. I'm sure Florida will get its fair share of good recruits. Never really been a concern with them.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

jff97 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:59 pm
Idontknowtherules wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:50 pm No gator recruits yet Surprise to me since they had such a great season
Kids who commit this early usually already know where they want to go but are just waiting for the phone call. I'm sure Florida will get its fair share of good recruits. Never really been a concern with them.
Def not concerned Just surprised they didn’t have one ready to go I’ve been through this 3x Twice before the rule change and once after
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:45 pm
i don't know the full backstory on the coach, heard or didn't hear the 2024 or 2025 class was chopped after commitments? if that's the deal, then people should be forewarned and probably already are. not a roster limit boogeyman.
One 25 Decommitted - on her own and now at JMU (seems like an upgrade for her). One 24 had offer pulled. Heard her mom and her own social media had created a problem - complaining about transfers coming in etc (more to the story I'm sure, but what I've heard). But bottom line apparently this mom is an issue...

From what I'm hearing (again from a 24 we know on the team) is USF fully intends to go with roster limits and offer as much money as they can if approved. Not sure if the athletic budget will allow 38, but they want to be a player. All TBD of course...
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

At least 10 day 1 commits. Gotta be a new record with the new(er) rules in place, right?
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Even some top recruit are not even going to make a decision for a week or two. They will be going on visits of their top choices, weighing out all their options. There’s no reason to jump at the first phone call
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:22 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:09 pm Once FSU and Clemson leave- UNC and UVA are probably out the door and the Big12 are probably taking 4 more. So it will be a shell of what we know as the ACC.
What conference wants FSU? Miami and UNC much more likely to leave than FSU.
You're kidding right? Even when FSU is down, their football team generates more TV revenue than all of UNC's sports combined, including basketball. Same for Clemson.
UNC is about to get caught up in state politics when the ACC implodes, and after FSU and Clemson leave, Louisville and Miami will be gone to the Big12. North Carolina politicians will work to keep the remaining ACC together as the ACC HQs in Charlotte is a massive state revenue machine. NC teams will be bound by that revenue, and won't be allowed to leave the conference, no matter how awful it gets.
cdb

Post by cdb »

The discussion of which colleges are in more demand than others is premature. I understand college loyalty, but Clemson and FL State will not be asked to join either the BIG or SEC, until the there is resolution of the court cases. Moreover, neither conference is interested in asking in any member that has any kind of financial difficulties. I doesn't matter how much a school takes in, if its athletic budget is negative -- even in a small way. The BIG has already had to help two schools with their finances -- it will not go down that road again.

The ACC has indicated in the past month or so that it will fight until he bitter end. Many folks opine that ESPN will end the contract in 2027 -- but it doesn't seem likely that a companywth a great deal that is underpaying a league would voluntarily end that relationship. Some opine that the courts will step in and allow both to leave with a much smaller payout. If they do, the league will not fold and its payments right now are about the same as the BIG 12 and much less travel -- the only attraction to pay whatever the fee is --is the higher payouts of the two larger conferences.

We will just have to wait and see -- but, neither is going anywhere until the court cases are resolved -- and yo can bet that the ACC will appeal any decisions that go against it -- and the way both of these schools started to this year -- they may not be as attractive unless they win out.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:30 pm Reese to MD
So did CR just go into her daughters room at midnight and ask her if she wanted to go the MD?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:18 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:17 pm Allison Hankins to Cuse
Ashley Egbert to MD

Good start for MD. Might end up being their best class in a while
Congrats to Cuse. First big surprise of the season. Shocked she won’t take an ND visit, let alone commit

Not a good sign for the Irish when you get can’t a top 50 recruit who is a legacy on campus
Agreed. I think they still land Rassas, who is a major legacy but the fact that she hasn't pulled the trigger yet is also..curious.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:22 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:09 pm Once FSU and Clemson leave- UNC and UVA are probably out the door and the Big12 are probably taking 4 more. So it will be a shell of what we know as the ACC.
What conference wants FSU? Miami and UNC much more likely to leave than FSU.
There were strong rumours that UNC was the next big school being recruited by other conferences, over FSU, Miami and Clemson. The FSU brass were not happy about that, which is part of the reason why they decided to go on the offensive and try to torpedo the ACC.

UNC is a very attractive school in terms of education, location and overall athletic success. Not to mention a strong alumni network and wealthy Donors. Even in football, FSU is not that much better than other ACC schools, which is what they hang their hat on
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

whyamihere wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:22 am
So did CR just go into her daughters room at midnight and ask her if she wanted to go the MD?
Basically. Maybe a brand new car her senior year in exchange for her commitment.

all joking aside, legacy coach's daughters live and breath these schools. Wouldn't go anywhere else if you offered them a million dollars
Lazyeyedgoalie

Post by Lazyeyedgoalie »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:41 am
whyamihere wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:22 am
Basically. Maybe a brand new car her senior year in exchange for her commitment.

all joking aside, legacy coach's daughters live and breath these schools. Wouldn't go anywhere else if you offered them a million dollars
Guess stony brook didnt offer 1MM🤷🏻‍♂️
SpartansRule

Post by SpartansRule »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:29 am
Ashley Egbert to MD

Congrats to Cuse. First big surprise of the season. Shocked she won’t take an ND visit, let alone commit

Not a good sign for the Irish when you get can’t a top 50 recruit who is a legacy on campus
Agreed. I think they still land Rassas, who is a major legacy but the fact that she hasn't pulled the trigger yet is also..curious.
She played for UNC at committed games. Doesn’t mean much, but it could mean something.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Ashley Egbert to MD

I'd be shocked if she doesn't, but I know they aren't bringing in girls for another week or two. Same as last year. I feel like most of these girls are more or less locked up and want to make the official decision post uniform pics.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

SpartansRule wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:14 am
Ashley Egbert to MD

She played for UNC at committed games. Doesn’t mean much, but it could mean something.
Unless you play for HHH or Penn Charter, players have little input on which team they get put on for committed games. Davidson had a top 20 player on their committed games team. I don't think she is commititing there.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Speaking of the HHH, I think girls have more say who they play for. I heard a few schools contacting club coaches to see if players would play with them. This year there were also a lot of 2026 players playing on multiple teams. I think a a Fossati played for 3 or 4 teams.
UpDownLax

Post by UpDownLax »

Gators bringing in a strong group this weekend for visit. Multiple IL top 10 players.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:27 pm Speaking of the HHH, I think girls have more say who they play for. I heard a few schools contacting club coaches to see if players would play with them. This year there were also a lot of 2026 players playing on multiple teams. I think a a Fossati played for 3 or 4 teams.
Pretty sure I saw her playing with BC twice.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”