Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
lacrossemwj

Re: Recruiting

Post by lacrossemwj »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:54 am My suggestion to 2026 recruit's parents over the next few months is really focus on the coaches of the teams being considered. Work hard to find as many people as possible you can with firsthand experience dealing with the coaches. Previous players are the best source, but the clubs should be a good source of info. I suggest face to face meetings, no one put will be candid in an email. The wrong coach can really make college crappy. What is your daughter looking to get from college? What are the coaches' expectations? Girls often get a vibe on that initial phone call, but face time with the coach has to be a more than just small talk. We got very lucky with coaches, just read the countless posts about what a bad player/coach relationship can be like.
Understand there is a chance that the coach your daughter vibes with may get other offers to over the next few years. College athletics is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride! There will be ups and downs, don't worry about things you cannot control. The girls seem to handle the bumps better than us parents.
It seems like alot of advice through the years has been to *not* focus on coaches because coaches moves so often . . .
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

laxin305 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:30 pm Two years, two coaches daughters picked by IL Women as #1. Hummmmmm
From what I hear Reese is legit, athletic and quick. I said it before that IL is easily accessible to certain people and they basically publish whatever they are told.
It’s just how it is
Wamp1

Post by Wamp1 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:27 pm
Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:07 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:04 pm
Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:43 pm Agreed. This was our experience last year. The 7 schools that reached out to us on 9/1 were ranked between 30-80. Just be aware that most of these schools are casting a wide net on prospects just like most of our girls did in sending emails all Spring / Summer. Don't fall in love with the BEST school that reaches out right away. Rejection is part of the process. Lucky to have gotten multiple offers. Although there are 127 D1 schools, spots are not unlimited. Ask how many they are recruiting at your position. Most schools take 8-10 players total per class. Thrilled for where my daughter ended up! Best of luck!
Out of curiosity, how many of those 7 did your daughter actively reach out to?
5 of the 7 she had actively reached out to. The other 2 were surprises. Of the 7, she only went to one of their prospect days prior to 9.1, but played in front of a few of the others at APEX60/XPO camps. She went to prospect days for 3 other schools that did not reach out. Those schools gave her multiple profile views/video watches and showed up at tournaments. Rejection is part of the process for most!
My 25 had 8 schools with serious interest on 9/1. Of those 5 of them had indicated to our club coach that they would reach out. 2 who indicated they would reach out never did. 3 reached as surprises (2 top 25).

Then in late September, a top 5 school reached out out of nowhere and were willing to fly us out for a visit in 2 days.
That must have been a fun experience!! Congrats!
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

lax410 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:07 am
laxguy516 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:34 pm ‘25 Clemson commit flips to Brown
Smart move. I wouldn’t want to be competing with the Spallina show down in SC either. Excited to see what Brown can do.
Who flipped
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

McLax9777 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:17 am
lax410 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:07 am
laxguy516 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:34 pm ‘25 Clemson commit flips to Brown
Smart move. I wouldn’t want to be competing with the Spallina show down in SC either. Excited to see what Brown can do.
Who flipped
Tessie Batchelder Mass Elite
Finnyboy

Post by Finnyboy »

McLax9777 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:10 am
laxin305 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:30 pm Two years, two coaches daughters picked by IL Women as #1. Hummmmmm
From what I hear Reese is legit, athletic and quick. I said it before that IL is easily accessible to certain people and they basically publish whatever they are told.
It’s just how it is
Both Levy and Reese are legit, my daughter played with one on Club and against both in high school. Both fantastic players. Well deserving of the placement.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Finnyboy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:27 am
It’s just how it is
Both Levy and Reese are legit, my daughter played with one on Club and against both in high school. Both fantastic players. Well deserving of the placement.
That’s sort of what I figured. I heard Reese was legit.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

lacrossemwj wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:41 am
laxdadpat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:54 am My suggestion to 2026 recruit's parents over the next few months is really focus on the coaches of the teams being considered. Work hard to find as many people as possible you can with firsthand experience dealing with the coaches. Previous players are the best source, but the clubs should be a good source of info. I suggest face to face meetings, no one put will be candid in an email. The wrong coach can really make college crappy. What is your daughter looking to get from college? What are the coaches' expectations? Girls often get a vibe on that initial phone call, but face time with the coach has to be a more than just small talk. We got very lucky with coaches, just read the countless posts about what a bad player/coach relationship can be like.
Understand there is a chance that the coach your daughter vibes with may get other offers to over the next few years. College athletics is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride! There will be ups and downs, don't worry about things you cannot control. The girls seem to handle the bumps better than us parents.
It seems like alot of advice through the years has been to *not* focus on coaches because coaches moves so often . . .

Fair point, but that is considering if injury takes away lacrosse. Are you happy at that school? Does the school fit without lacrosse should be number 1, but easier said than done. A college fit and bad coach ruins the entire time. Lot of balls in the air to consider.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Wamp1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:15 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:27 pm
Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:07 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:04 pm
Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:43 pm Agreed. This was our experience last year. The 7 schools that reached out to us on 9/1 were ranked between 30-80. Just be aware that most of these schools are casting a wide net on prospects just like most of our girls did in sending emails all Spring / Summer. Don't fall in love with the BEST school that reaches out right away. Rejection is part of the process. Lucky to have gotten multiple offers. Although there are 127 D1 schools, spots are not unlimited. Ask how many they are recruiting at your position. Most schools take 8-10 players total per class. Thrilled for where my daughter ended up! Best of luck!
Out of curiosity, how many of those 7 did your daughter actively reach out to?
5 of the 7 she had actively reached out to. The other 2 were surprises. Of the 7, she only went to one of their prospect days prior to 9.1, but played in front of a few of the others at APEX60/XPO camps. She went to prospect days for 3 other schools that did not reach out. Those schools gave her multiple profile views/video watches and showed up at tournaments. Rejection is part of the process for most!
My 25 had 8 schools with serious interest on 9/1. Of those 5 of them had indicated to our club coach that they would reach out. 2 who indicated they would reach out never did. 3 reached as surprises (2 top 25).

Then in late September, a top 5 school reached out out of nowhere and were willing to fly us out for a visit in 2 days.
That must have been a fun experience!! Congrats!
It's an experience for sure. It only becomes fun once you had an offer at a school you'd be happy with. Ridiculous stress over last 2 weeks of August at last chance camps and early September.

Best part for my daughter was her visit to the school she committed to. She had verbally committed a few days prior, but didn't post to social until promo uniform pictures were taken. So she went on a college trip with virtually no stress and could actually enjoy the experience.

And if you were asking, we didn't take that top 5 visit. Many on this board know there is one top 5 program I really don't like and that entire experience reinforced it all.
SweeptheLeg

Post by SweeptheLeg »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:03 am

Fair point, but that is considering if injury takes away lacrosse. Are you happy at that school? Does the school fit without lacrosse should be number 1, but easier said than done. A college fit and bad coach ruins the entire time. Lot of balls in the air to consider.
With the introduction of roster limits, the dynamics of team management are about to change significantly. In the past, coaches had the flexibility to maintain a bench of any size that suited their needs, as long as both they and their players were comfortable. This meant that players could usually secure a spot on a large roster, stay at a school they loved, and work toward their degree without much concern for drastic changes year over year.

However, with the new roster limits in place, coaches will likely face tough decisions, making cuts they wouldn’t have considered before. While there were never any guarantees, the chances of being cut from a team could now be higher each year. This shift will undoubtedly be unsettling for players and could significantly disrupt their college experience. Although the transfer portal remains an option, I expect it will see a surge in activity initially before stabilizing. It’s possible that more players will enter the portal not out of choice, but because coaches, constrained by roster limits, encourage the move.

For those navigating this process now, the most important piece of advice remains unchanged: choose the school first, then the sport. You have to genuinely love the school. With roster limits in place, we will likely see more cuts, and while the transfer portal may offer a solution, it's not always the answer. So, prioritize loving the school above all else.
SweeptheLeg

Post by SweeptheLeg »

With the introduction of roster limits, the dynamics of team management are about to change for some teams. In the past, coaches had the flexibility to maintain a bench of any size that suited their needs, as long as both they and their players were comfortable. This meant that players could usually secure a spot on a large roster, stay at a school they loved, and work toward their degree without much concern for drastic changes year over year.

However, with the new roster limits in place, coaches will likely face tough decisions, making cuts they wouldn’t have considered before. While there were never any guarantees, the chances of being cut from a team could now be higher each year. This shift will undoubtedly be unsettling for players and could significantly disrupt their college experience. Although the transfer portal remains an option, I expect it will see a surge in activity initially before stabilizing. It’s possible that more players will enter the portal not out of choice, but because coaches, constrained by roster limits, encourage the move.

For those navigating this process now, the most important piece of advice remains unchanged: choose the school first, then the sport. You have to genuinely love the school. With roster limits in place, we will likely see more cuts, and while the transfer portal may offer a solution, it's not always the answer. So, prioritize loving the school above all else.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

SweeptheLeg wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:00 pm

With the introduction of roster limits, the dynamics of team management are about to change for some teams. In the past, coaches had the flexibility to maintain a bench of any size that suited their needs, as long as both they and their players were comfortable. This meant that players could usually secure a spot on a large roster, stay at a school they loved, and work toward their degree without much concern for drastic changes year over year.

i'm not sure how much you've looked into the house settlement, but roster limits, even if approved eventually and that's a maybe, would be surprising if it's 15 spots. for all of nc$$ women's lax. problem item 100 to be concerned about.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:23 pm

i'm not sure how much you've looked into the house settlement, but roster limits, even if approved eventually and that's a maybe, would be surprising if it's 15 spots. for all of nc$$ women's lax. problem item 100 to be concerned about.
Can you elaborate? You’re saying there will be a roster limit of 15 spots?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:14 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:23 pm

Can you elaborate? You’re saying there will be a roster limit of 15 spots?
there may be a total of 15 spots combined from all schools that need to be trimmed because of the house settlement and any reverberations. and that's if it's even approved and they make a rule. just several p4 schools are over the 38 number and not by much. those that are non-p4 and might jump in to pay basketball players (big east?) might add a couple more and get it to double digits.
the majority of schools that have bigger roster numbers are unlikely to be affected.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Could you please provide sources for player limits in WLAX in regards to your understanding of "house settlement."i cannot find them and would like to better understand this area. TIA
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

cdb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:46 pm Could you please provide sources for player limits in WLAX in regards to your understanding of "house settlement."i cannot find them and would like to better understand this area. TIA
https://sports.yahoo.com/new-college-sp ... 42040.html
cdb

Post by cdb »

Thanks for the URL citation. I read it, but still have some questions. First, it doesn't seem to indicate schools have to increase their scholarships, but can raise them up to 48 if they choose to. 2. Lacrosse and others are non-revenue sports (typically), so it does not appear that athletes in those sports would be suing for a part of the revenue the school receives in revenue sports -- 3. Why not just leave it the way it is now?

I can see a football school deciding to share revenue with WLAX in the forms of increased scholarship money in order to increase recruiting. Yes, the top athletes will be prizes all the top schools will fight for -- but what wins championships is having a strong team with very good players -- those who typically would be getting partial scholarships -- I can see where a school that is trying to raise its footprint and power rating, could offer more money to those players -- and, if it did do, and the student liked that school, they could decide to go there instead of one of the higher rated schools.

Is my thinking flawed or could you elaborate on it -- I admit ahead of time, my knowledge is limited, so I am open to learning more about this subject. As I have said before, I believe WLAX can become a revenue sport -- when the Women's Pro game establishes and athletes can make sufficient money to start their post-college careers as athletes.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

:?:
Finnyboy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:27 am
It’s just how it is
It’s not Levy, it’s Spallina
laxmenow

Post by laxmenow »

Regarding the roster limits - 38 for wlax. Schools can provide anywhere from 0 to 38 scholarships, however they decide. All sports can now give partials.
As others have posted, not clear if it only applies to those schools that choose to pay athletes (eg FB and BB) out of athletic funds (vs NIL). In that case it may just be ACC, B10, B12 and perhaps Big East and SEC football schools.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Thanks -- really appreciate this reply and any others that may come

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”