Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
cdb

Re: Recruiting

Post by cdb »

One of my friend's bought a 4 apt building and the rental income earned in that state is much more than 30K. His daughter lived in one apt and rented out space to at least one roommate. The other 3, he rented to students. He took care of maintenance himself and I do not know what that would have cost with a rental agent. His mortgage was much lower than the out of state tuition and he had an investment property to sell when his daughter graduated. He not only qualified for in-state tuition, his student's room and board was less than the income received, and his child lived basically for free while at that college. This was several years ago in GA, so I have no idea if it would work in Florida.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

laxin305 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:30 pm Two years, two coaches daughters picked by IL Women as #1. Hummmmmm
I believe Levy's daughter is #4 in her class as well. Sure there might be some lax politics involved here, but i do genuinely believe there's something to be said about elite coaching at an early age from elite coaches. It's just a huge natural advantage compared to your average lax player.

The average player can go to all the camps but will never get the level of coaching these kids get as soon as they can pick up a lacrosse stick. Not to mention they've been around elite D1 players all their lives and have gotten secondary coaching from players that played for their parents. All that results in High lax IQ and fundementals
cdb

Post by cdb »

what an insightful post. thanks
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:09 am Good luck to everyone waiting for calls/texts this weekend. Best of luck to all involved. Feel free to DM if there is anything I can do to help or if you just need to bounce ideas or vent to someone who's been through this three times

For me, I get this year off until my last recruiting cycle next year.
No skin in the game but will be interesting to see where these kids end up and what some of the teams do regarding numbers.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Bluecollar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:01 pm QQ: Is it just the top 100-ish recruits who get contacted in 9/1? Or is it pretty widespread (as in, all ~127 D1 programs are doing some outreach - whether that is text or email)?
No it isn’t. In my opinion they will reach out to players they are interested in whether they are ranked 20 or not ranked. How they deal with timelines and ghosting will be different regarding unranked kids. The second part, my daughter heard from a wide majority of teams at midnight. Some in the Top 20 and some teams in the bottom 20. All coaches are different but most interested will cast a wide net, mostly through email. There is a dead period so if your daughter is top tier, they won’t be knocking on your door until Sept 4.
AroundTheWorld

Post by AroundTheWorld »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:34 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:18 pm Cathy Reese's daughter is a lock for Maryland..right?

Rassas is a lock for ND. The fighting Irish looking to have a strong team in a few years
Yes and Yes.
Yes and No. UNC my bet for Rassas.
Wamp1

Post by Wamp1 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:04 pm
Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:43 pm Agreed. This was our experience last year. The 7 schools that reached out to us on 9/1 were ranked between 30-80. Just be aware that most of these schools are casting a wide net on prospects just like most of our girls did in sending emails all Spring / Summer. Don't fall in love with the BEST school that reaches out right away. Rejection is part of the process. Lucky to have gotten multiple offers. Although there are 127 D1 schools, spots are not unlimited. Ask how many they are recruiting at your position. Most schools take 8-10 players total per class. Thrilled for where my daughter ended up! Best of luck!
Out of curiosity, how many of those 7 did your daughter actively reach out to?
5 of the 7 she had actively reached out to. The other 2 were surprises. Of the 7, she only went to one of their prospect days prior to 9.1, but played in front of a few of the others at APEX60/XPO camps. She went to prospect days for 3 other schools that did not reach out. Those schools gave her multiple profile views/video watches and showed up at tournaments. Rejection is part of the process for most!
AroundTheWorld

Post by AroundTheWorld »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:55 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:09 am Good luck to everyone waiting for calls/texts this weekend. Best of luck to all involved. Feel free to DM if there is anything I can do to help or if you just need to bounce ideas or vent to someone who's been through this three times

No skin in the game but will be interesting to see where these kids end up and what some of the teams do regarding numbers.
One team told our club that they are only taking 6 girls this year since they have 11 2025s. I think that is Clemson.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

AroundTheWorld wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:04 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:18 pm Cathy Reese's daughter is a lock for Maryland..right?

Rassas is a lock for ND. The fighting Irish looking to have a strong team in a few years
Yes and Yes.
ND is definitely a heavy favorite, but her cousin played 5 years for KAH so I would put NW in 2nd most likely.
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:07 pm
Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:43 pm Agreed. This was our experience last year. The 7 schools that reached out to us on 9/1 were ranked between 30-80. Just be aware that most of these schools are casting a wide net on prospects just like most of our girls did in sending emails all Spring / Summer. Don't fall in love with the BEST school that reaches out right away. Rejection is part of the process. Lucky to have gotten multiple offers. Although there are 127 D1 schools, spots are not unlimited. Ask how many they are recruiting at your position. Most schools take 8-10 players total per class. Thrilled for where my daughter ended up! Best of luck!
5 of the 7 she had actively reached out to. The other 2 were surprises. Of the 7, she only went to one of their prospect days prior to 9.1, but played in front of a few of the others at APEX60/XPO camps. She went to prospect days for 3 other schools that did not reach out. Those schools gave her multiple profile views/video watches and showed up at tournaments. Rejection is part of the process for most!
My 25 had 8 schools with serious interest on 9/1. Of those 5 of them had indicated to our club coach that they would reach out. 2 who indicated they would reach out never did. 3 reached as surprises (2 top 25).

Then in late September, a top 5 school reached out out of nowhere and were willing to fly us out for a visit in 2 days.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:55 pm

I don't think the size of most recruiting classes should not change. (Obviously schools who consistently take 13-15 will need to change) For schools who have to get to 38, they will likely counsel out some juniors/seniors who are unlikely to play.
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

‘25 Clemson commit flips to Brown
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:55 pm
AroundTheWorld wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:04 pm

Yes and Yes.
ND is definitely a heavy favorite, but her cousin played 5 years for KAH so I would put NW in 2nd most likely.
I think it is Notre dame or North Carolina for Rassas.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:27 pm
Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:07 pm
My 25 had 8 schools with serious interest on 9/1. Of those 5 of them had indicated to our club coach that they would reach out. 2 who indicated they would reach out never did. 3 reached as surprises (2 top 25).

Then in late September, a top 5 school reached out out of nowhere and were willing to fly us out for a visit in 2 days.
I swear we are on the same team. 😉
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Remember Recruits. If you are a solid player and confident of your abilities, you have leverage. The portal, as witnessed this year, is thin and is getting thinner over time. The key to successful teams will be recruiting. I’ve heard one major school is wanting girls to commit within 48 hrs. Not a good look to use scarcity as a threat to attract talent. Hard pass on that option. Your timeline, while brief under the current circumstances, needs to be enough to evaluate the best of your options. Good luck!
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:57 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:27 pm

I swear we are on the same team. 😉
Wait, I thought we were on the same team :lol:
Wlax31

Post by Wlax31 »

laxguy516 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:34 pm ‘25 Clemson commit flips to Brown
That Brown 25 class is amazing. They already playing like seasoned college players. IMO we will see them rising fast in the rankings.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Smart move. I wouldn’t want to be competing with the Spallina show down in SC either. Excited to see what Brown can do.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Wlax31 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:46 am
That Brown 25 class is amazing. They already playing like seasoned college players. IMO we will see them rising fast in the rankings.
Agreed. But I am curious how Brown was able to take in so many girls (11 or 12 now). I thought most Ivies were capped at only 9 "spots" for women's lax.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

My suggestion to 2026 recruit's parents over the next few months is really focus on the coaches of the teams being considered. Work hard to find as many people as possible you can with firsthand experience dealing with the coaches. Previous players are the best source, but the clubs should be a good source of info. I suggest face to face meetings, no one put will be candid in an email. The wrong coach can really make college crappy. What is your daughter looking to get from college? What are the coaches' expectations? Girls often get a vibe on that initial phone call, but face time with the coach has to be a more than just small talk. We got very lucky with coaches, just read the countless posts about what a bad player/coach relationship can be like.
Understand there is a chance that the coach your daughter vibes with may get other offers to over the next few years. College athletics is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride! There will be ups and downs, don't worry about things you cannot control. The girls seem to handle the bumps better than us parents.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”