Tufts 2025

D3 Mens Lacrosse
callaxdad

Re: Tufts 2025

Post by callaxdad »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:17 pm
Motorman wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:47 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:26 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:35 pm RIT and Tufts need about 20 more years of realistic NC shot teams before they’re put in conversation with Salisbury. Not close, not yet.
Hey potentially imbecilic Tufts hater, RIT needs 20,Tufts more like 10. Do your research fwad.
So you’re arguing about who’s the better #2 team behind Salisbury? Now that’s funny.
What’s really funny is I took his advice and did some research. He’s gonna love this.

RIT made Final Four or better appearances in 84, 85, 87, 99, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24.
That’s compared to Tufts’ 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 24. So while they’re both nowhere near Salisbury in terms of championships (or even championship caliber teams), RIT is clearly quite a bit ahead of Tufts.
Actually, this century they are tied, appearance wise (and neither had an appearance until the second decade of the century!) All time, RIT is 4 ahead. And those 4 are over (well over for the 3 in the 80's!) a decade prior to the most recent appearances in this century. So, your statement, "clearly quite a bit ahead"....yeah, not so much....fwad!!!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:47 pm
ah23 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:36 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:44 pm I'm just saying. Daly, Berkman, and Nelson are the only HCs (in the post-Hobart era) to win a NC and then another one 4+ years later. Cortland did it with two different toppers.
Realistically speaking, how many programs are equipped to do that? Curious how short/long you think the list could be. D-III is just so top heavy that at least for me it feels like everyone outside of Tufts/RIT/Salisbury has to have everything go their way just to win one title...and then have that happen again, half a decade later.
Feel that. I think there are so many great programs now. It's a combination of a lot of factors for sure. We've had three 1st time NC winners the last 10 years (2014-2024). Wesleyan, Cabrini (RIP baby) and RIT. The same number of 1st time winners as the decade before (2004-2014). Tufts, Stevenson, and Cortland. Which is the same number as the first time winners the decade before that (1994-2004). Salisbury, Middlebury, and WAC. Kinda crazy actually. So, odds are, three new programs will win a Natty between now and 2034. Who will they be?
So, MVP, if I could make a bet today that says that there will or won't be 3 new programs that win a Natty in the next 10 years, i.e. programs who haven't won one yet since '80 who will, I'd bet against that proposition. 100%. Long wait and would depend on the odds but, I believe it'd pay off.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:59 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:17 pm
Motorman wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:47 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:26 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:35 pm RIT and Tufts need about 20 more years of realistic NC shot teams before they’re put in conversation with Salisbury. Not close, not yet.
Hey potentially imbecilic Tufts hater, RIT needs 20,Tufts more like 10. Do your research fwad.
So you’re arguing about who’s the better #2 team behind Salisbury? Now that’s funny.
What’s really funny is I took his advice and did some research. He’s gonna love this.

RIT made Final Four or better appearances in 84, 85, 87, 99, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24.
That’s compared to Tufts’ 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 24. So while they’re both nowhere near Salisbury in terms of championships (or even championship caliber teams), RIT is clearly quite a bit ahead of Tufts.
Actually, this century they are tied, appearance wise (and neither had an appearance until the second decade of the century!) All time, RIT is 4 ahead. And those 4 are over (well over for the 3 in the 80's!) a decade prior to the most recent appearances in this century. So, your statement, "clearly quite a bit ahead"....yeah, not so much....fwad!!!
“This century.” A clever way of trying to make 25 years ago sound as distant as 100. Salisbury who won it all in 03 hadn’t won anything in “this century” up till that point, but they had actually won the NC just 4 years earlier in 99. Be honest, you only want to drop any National level success before 2010 because Tufts doesn’t have any. I guess you’ll also have to take that up with Salisbury whenever they flaunt 13 NCs then too, because 3 of them are from “last century.” And your quip about 4 more final fours or better not being quite a bit ahead, let’s see that as a percentage. RIT having 4 more than Tufts is RIT hanving 40% more than Tufts’ 10. 40% better is “quite a bit” ahead, no matter your fandom. No amount of clever word choices will change these facts.
RIT > Tufts.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I was at the 99 game. It feels like it was so long ago that it shouldn't count anymore. :lol:
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:13 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:44 pm I'm just saying. Daly, Berkman, and Nelson are the only HCs (in the post-Hobart era) to win a NC and then another one 4+ years later. Cortland did it with two different toppers.
Realistically speaking, how many programs are equipped to do that? Curious how short/long you think the list could be. D-III is just so top heavy that at least for me it feels like everyone outside of Tufts/RIT/Salisbury has to have everything go their way just to win one title...and then have that happen again, half a decade later.
Feel that. I think there are so many great programs now. It's a combination of a lot of factors for sure. We've had three 1st time NC winners the last 10 years (2014-2024). Wesleyan, Cabrini (RIP baby) and RIT. The same number of 1st time winners as the decade before (2004-2014). Tufts, Stevenson, and Cortland. Which is the same number as the first time winners the decade before that (1994-2004). Salisbury, Middlebury, and WAC. Kinda crazy actually. So, odds are, three new programs will win a Natty between now and 2034. Who will they be?
So, MVP, if I could make a bet today that says that there will or won't be 3 new programs that win a Natty in the next 10 years, i.e. programs who haven't won one yet since '80 who will, I'd bet against that proposition. 100%. Long wait and would depend on the odds but, I believe it'd pay off.
I'd like to see W&L, YCP, and CNU get there. Willing to be one of them gets it done. I'm sure another NESCAC gem will emerge. Maybe Colby? Then toss in someone that is always right there...maybe a Lynchburg. Other combination will be Jumbos, Gulls, and RIT.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:40 am
I'd like to see W&L, YCP, and CNU get there. Willing to be one of them gets it done. I'm sure another NESCAC gem will emerge. Maybe Colby? Then toss in someone that is always right there...maybe a Lynchburg. Other combination will be Jumbos, Gulls, and RIT.
Totally agree w you, would love to see W&L be at that level. And I think they can, have everything to offer that the current top schools have and then some. Colby, a little ways away but, have the right guy, like the top dogs right now. CNU, why not?!! Have to offer top notch academics with a great combination of potential of playing on MDW and great campus vibes/location. Not rocket surgery!!! Roll Bos!!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:09 pm
Totally agree w you, would love to see W&L be at that level. And I think they can, have everything to offer that the current top schools have and then some. Colby, a little ways away but, have the right guy, like the top dogs right now. CNU, why not?!! Have to offer top notch academics with a great combination of potential of playing on MDW and great campus vibes/location. Not rocket surgery!!! Roll Bos!!
CNU athletic facilities are definitely one of the tops in D3. The area not so much.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

If we are looking for a new DIII winner to emerge, it will probably come from a school with a larger student body than the typical NESCAC, Liberty, NCAC or ODAC. Over the past 21 years, only Wesleyan, Cabrini and Stevenson have won a title with fewer than 6,000 undergrads on campus. RIT has 14,000 undergrads while Tufts has nearly triple the number of students of many other NESCACs. In the fall of '23, for example, Tufts had about 6,000 undergrads on campus while Bowdoin had 1,846. It is very hard to find admissions slots for helmet sport athletes when your denominator is so small. High lax/high academic schools like W&L and Swarthmore face a similar problem. Amherst, Union and Wesleyan have shown it's possible to get to the championship game, but it is a steep hill to climb. If I had to pick a breakthrough program among smaller schools, I would put my $ on Gettysburg -- only 2,200+ undergrads, but a sports-friendly admissions office, a tradition of lacrosse excellence and only 60 miles from Baltimore. It also offers a fun social scene and good enough academics that prep school parents will happily put the sticker on the rear window.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:27 am
callaxdad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:09 pm
CNU athletic facilities are definitely one of the tops in D3. The area not so much.
I’ve never understood this take. The area around CNU is filled with nice neighborhoods like riverside, hiddenwood and Barclay which are all by the water. Sure if you go to down town Newport News which is about 15 minutes away it gets dodgy, but the area specifically around CNU is fairly safe with nice neighborhoods and plenty of restaurant options. It’s also close to some fun bars/restaurants and a short drive to multiple different beaches.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:21 am
If we are looking for a new DIII winner to emerge, it will probably come from a school with a larger student body than the typical NESCAC, Liberty, NCAC or ODAC. Over the past 21 years, only Wesleyan, Cabrini and Stevenson have won a title with fewer than 6,000 undergrads on campus. RIT has 14,000 undergrads while Tufts has nearly triple the number of students of many other NESCACs. In the fall of '23, for example, Tufts had about 6,000 undergrads on campus while Bowdoin had 1,846. It is very hard to find admissions slots for helmet sport athletes when your denominator is so small. High lax/high academic schools like W&L and Swarthmore face a similar problem. Amherst, Union and Wesleyan have shown it's possible to get to the championship game, but it is a steep hill to climb. If I had to pick a breakthrough program among smaller schools, I would put my $ on Gettysburg -- only 2,200+ undergrads, but a sports-friendly admissions office, a tradition of lacrosse excellence and only 60 miles from Baltimore. It also offers a fun social scene and good enough academics that prep school parents will happily put the sticker on the rear window.
So, I definitely think that for HS football and D1 football with a few exceptions, TCU and Miami come to mind, enrollment matters. With regard to D3 lax, and I could be missing something but, don’t think it’s that important. You only need 5-8 really top notch players a year. Admissions criteria important fo sho but overall enrollment not too critical. Academics, location and campus/campus life very important to 18 yr old mush heads!! 🤣🤣

I like your take on W&L and the Bullets for aforementioned reasons. Amherst too but to a lesser degree. I think it will be interesting/fun to see where Colby goes over the next several years, can a top-notch coach take that program to prominence?
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

callaxdad wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:50 pm
So, I definitely think that for HS football and D1 football with a few exceptions, TCU and Miami come to mind, enrollment matters. With regard to D3 lax, and I could be missing something but, don’t think it’s that important. You only need 5-8 really top notch players a year. Admissions criteria important fo sho but overall enrollment not too critical. Academics, location and campus/campus life very important to 18 yr old mush heads!! 🤣🤣

I like your take on W&L and the Bullets for aforementioned reasons. Amherst too but to a lesser degree. I think it will be interesting/fun to see where Colby goes over the next several years, can a top-notch coach take that program to prominence?
I don't find myself rooting for Centennial squads. Dickinson being my least favorite. Bullets have had their chances at the NC under Hank.

When Bernhardt took over at Colby I spent some time looking at the school/facilities/etc. Seems like a program that could make some jumps. Huge commitment to athletics, that Peak Performance stuff seems pretty freaking cool.
lilax

Post by lilax »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:26 am
callaxdad wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:50 pm

I don't find myself rooting for Centennial squads. Dickinson being my least favorite. Bullets have had their chances at the NC under Hank.

When Bernhardt took over at Colby I spent some time looking at the school/facilities/etc. Seems like a program that could make some jumps. Huge commitment to athletics, that Peak Performance stuff seems pretty freaking cool.
Biggest change Colby has made was getting rid of an Athletic Director with no background in athletics.

He leaves and now Bernhardt has a class of 15+ kids.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:59 amRIT having 4 more than Tufts is RIT hanving 40% more than Tufts’ 10. 40% better is “quite a bit” ahead, no matter your fandom. No amount of clever word choices will change these facts.
RIT > Tufts.
This whole thread is silly but that’s some logic to conclude RIT>Tufts. You say 40% more Final Fours, ok, but what % more National Titles does Tufts have than RIT? I believe that number would be 50%.

Not to mention Tufts was not allowed to play in the NCAAs unlike 1993, so RIT had a nice head start…
ah23

Post by ah23 »

(It’s just more of the usual trolling)
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

SouthieLax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:28 pm Not to mention Tufts was not allowed to play in the NCAAs unlike 1993, so RIT had a nice head start…
Tufts' 20th century teams wouldn't have been a threat to make the final four if they were eligible. The program's improvement is so impressive in part because it seemed unfathomable 20ish years ago.
choochooCharlie

SouthieLax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:28 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:59 amRIT having 4 more than Tufts is RIT hanving 40% more than Tufts’ 10. 40% better is “quite a bit” ahead, no matter your fandom. No amount of clever word choices will change these facts.
RIT > Tufts.
This whole thread is silly but that’s some logic to conclude RIT>Tufts. You say 40% more Final Fours, ok, but what % more National Titles does Tufts have than RIT? I believe that number would be 50%.

Not to mention Tufts was not allowed to play in the NCAAs unlike 1993, so RIT had a nice head start…
You guys are insufferable. It’s not a badge of honor that they couldn’t play in NCAAs. Is it really that bad that somebody thinks something that you don’t? Toughen up.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Biggest change Colby has made was getting rid of an Athletic Director with no background in athletics.

He leaves and now Bernhardt has a class of 15+ kids.
I am not sure this is entirely accurate. The last AD, with a military background not specifically athletics, rebuilt the entire athletic department after the previous clown was pushed out. He has set them up to be successful, new hires, Peak Performance, facilities, etc.. If Colby has 15 coming in this year then one would see the connection that the AD that left earlier this summer had something to do with it.

Colby has an opportunity to greatly improve. New facilities are better than almost everyone in D3, coach has the pedigree, campus is a beauty, academics are top notch, etc... The question is, is admissions supporting them now? It appears they might be if 15 are coming this fall.

The thing that held Colby back for so long was consistency in coaching. Zazz spent nearly a decade and had good squads in the late 90's. Quinn spent nearly a decade and started strong and then hit some bumps, but this was more admissions driven issues. Then JT/Domingoes/Sandler(RIP) run of tournaments. Then Hunt as interim comes in 2 weeks before the season with an untested goalie top Att hurt, and no faceoff man, on top of the pain of losing Sandler and that team had no shot and AD gave Hunt 0 shot of staying on. Then it all really fell apart with GVA, wrong hire at the wrong time for so many reasons.

I truly hope that Bernhart is in it for the long haul, this is a program that should be recognized as quality.

But this is a Tufts thread so I will leave it with this. Tufts is really good.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

choochooCharlie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:42 am
RIT > Tufts.

You guys are insufferable. It’s not a badge of honor that they couldn’t play in NCAAs. Is it really that bad that somebody thinks something that you don’t? Toughen up.
Very reasonable response. Do you know how many NCAA wins the historic RIT lacrosse program had until “this century”? Five….Tufts passed them in National Championships and total NCAA wins by 2011 and the gap has only gotten wider, as has the head to head results, 7-3 in the NCAA tourney. But keep pointing to the 3 total NCAA wins they had in the 80s (2x St Lawrence and Roanoke).
choochooCharlie

SouthieLax wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:44 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:42 am
RIT > Tufts.

Very reasonable response. Do you know how many NCAA wins the historic RIT lacrosse program had until “this century”? Five….Tufts passed them in National Championships and total NCAA wins by 2011 and the gap has only gotten wider, as has the head to head results, 7-3 in the NCAA tourney. But keep pointing to the 3 total NCAA wins they had in the 80s (2x St Lawrence and Roanoke).
I mean, they lost to RIT last year too. 1-1 in 2024. Is that the “gap” you’re flexing? You’re right, recency matters and history doesn’t. So look, Tufts has had their number for years, Hamilton that is, but it looks like Hamilton has recently created a gap. If Tufts can get over the hump and beat Hamilton in 2025 we can talk then.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Still fixated on Hamilton v Tufts, one game in 2024, as the final arbiter of all things lacrosse. smh

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”