VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wahoomurf

VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by wahoomurf »

Is a two-peat possible? Replacing 12 seniors will be a challenge.Fall ball's the time to sort things out.
45wewantmore

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by 45wewantmore »

on the mid-week games this season UVA showed a depth of midfield and offensive players who could all play at speed.

I would imagine practice is Fun and Fast with Coach Tiffany and Staff.

Their style of play is exiting to watch and the shot clock suits them very well.

I hope more coaches copy that physical fast, aggressive style, riding, defence, transition, GBs as though you life depends on it
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 pm Is a two-peat possible? Replacing 12 seniors will be a challenge.Fall ball's the time to sort things out.
Virginia didn't appear to be a particularly dominating NCAA champion. The got hot in May, winning 2 overtime games, to bring home the title.
While they lose some other contributors, their main loss to graduation is Ryan Conrad. They bring back a lot: Kraus, Aitken, Moore, ... They also bring in some top freshmen: Connor Shellenberger (A), Gavin Tygh (FO), and Scott Bower (D). Some feel that Payton Cormier, injured this Spring, could be a contributor. Virginia could well be an even stronger team next Spring. That being said, injuries, not being hot when matters could leave UVa watching on Memorial Day.
I would probably start my premature ranking with UVa #1 and PSU #2.
Live Free or Die!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

More than Fair analysis, but i wouldn’t make Virginia #1 or 2. Top 4/5 maybe. It won’t be just Conrad’s spectacular stats that Virginia will be missing most. He is our best player since Steele Stanwick and probably had more impact in more areas. Virginia should be a contender next year along with a bunch of other teams including Maryland.
Last edited by blue angels on Thu May 30, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:12 am
wahoomurf wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 pm Is a two-peat possible? Replacing 12 seniors will be a challenge.Fall ball's the time to sort things out.
Virginia didn't appear to be a particularly dominating NCAA champion. The got hot in May, winning 2 overtime games, to bring home the title.
While they lose some other contributors, their main loss to graduation is Ryan Conrad. They bring back a lot: Kraus, Aitken, Moore, ... They also bring in some top freshmen: Connor Shellenberger (A), Gavin Tygh (FO), and Scott Bower (D). Some feel that Payton Cormier, injured this Spring, could be a contributor. Virginia could well be an even stronger team next Spring. That being said, injuries, not being hot when matters could leave UVa watching on Memorial Day.
I would probably start my premature ranking with UVa #1 and PSU #2.
agree on the conrad loss --- that's kind of irreplaceable what he did. including just being the guy you wanted to get the ball into his stick in the middle of the field when there was chaos around. he rarely made a bad play. and he always stepped up when he felt there was a time to.
but -- outside of that, they lose some very good ssdm's (where they have depth) and greco(where depth is questionable, but it's one guy). and mikey herring, who also did some irreplaceable things. though this is college, you lose guys, that's a pretty short list.
attack -- all back.
cormier supposedly was slated as a starter until he went down. not sure he's the middie type, but obviously he can play some.
between dickson, conner, simmons, peele, shellenberger and whoever else is coming/gets healthy -- virginia has the potential to be deeper than '19, at the midfield.
somebody's gonna have to pick up for conrad's intangibles, but 'hoos fans are optimistic. maybe it's time at some point to be irrationally so.

as far as "get hot"... they won 16 of their last 17 games. not sure i'd put that in the "get hot in may" category. they beat a lot of good teams since like the 3rd week of the season. did they win a bunch of them by the skin of their teeth? ya
did they have some fortune shine on them? ya.
did they also never throw the towel in and allow for those things to happen, create a lot of those breaks? ya, ya and ya.
i don't remember a lot of teams, since 2006 anyway, that just walked thru everyone in the tournament.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

The supposed UMd-UVa match-up next Spring will be really loaded with offensive fire power
AAs Bernhardt, Wisnauskas, Fairman, A.DeMaio for the Terps versus AAs Kraus, Aitken, and Moore for UVa.
UVa also has Laviano, a 62 point scorer. Kyle Long finished up the Spring strong for the Terps. UVa has a lot of guys waiting in the wings: Cormier, Connor, Diclson, Simmons.
UVa brings in the top attack recruit in Shellenberger. UMd adds 3 top attackmen in N.DeMaio, Pallonetti and Sawyer.
Live Free or Die!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

blue angels wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:45 pm More than Fair analysis, but i wouldn’t make Virginia #1 or 2. Top 4/5 maybe. It won’t be just Conrad’s spectacular stats that Virginia will be missing most. He is our best player since Steele Stanwick and probably had more impact in more areas. Virginia should be a contender next year along with a bunch of other teams including Maryland.
I think that's right. Gotta remember that just winning more than losing in the ACC would have been regarded as a success for 2019; a top 10 finish would have been applauded enthusiastically as well.

And, yes, Conrad's influence was immeasurable.

That said, I think the Hoos will be able to recruit well over the next decade, attracting guys who love the idea of playing in such a fast-paced system. So, will be in the mix going forward. And fun to watch!

Sounds like Burkinshaw is headed to Penn. They'll need another top guy in the next class or two.
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

Anyone know the deal with Coach Kirwan? Is he looking to stick around another couple of years at UVA as OC, or is he ready to make a move to HC?
Harvard position is open, and his name has been mentioned as a candidate. Stands to reason that at some point he'd want to be HC somewhere.
dirtup

Post by dirtup »

So proud of how this team finished the season. They just would not quit. Conrad was the man; what's more, watching him from Linc Field, he looked much more active Saturday than Monday. Methinks he was playing hurt in the final and just gutting it out.

Going forward, I have hopes that the B-more recruiting hex of recent years has finally been broken by the class that LT's teams have learned to display. No real bonus there for the 2020 season.

Plenty of depth on display against Yale, and they did just what Tiffany said they would before the game. They could easily be back on LFF next Memorial Day.

dirtup
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

From an SU fan, congratulations to the best team in the country UVA. The Hoos played the game the way it should be played. For me, it was the game between the lines around the middle of the field where you were unrelentingly aggressive from start to finish that overwhelmed a very good lacrosse team with constant irritating ball hawking. Reminded me a little of the great 80's SU teams who just ran over their opposition to the goal.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

GBMan wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:19 am Anyone know the deal with Coach Kirwan? Is he looking to stick around another couple of years at UVA as OC, or is he ready to make a move to HC?
Harvard position is open, and his name has been mentioned as a candidate. Stands to reason that at some point he'd want to be HC somewhere.
No one seems to know what will happen. He has been mentioned as one of the strong candidates for the Harvard job, but a Thompson was mentioned on one board I saw as being ahead of Kirwan in preferability for the Crimson. I guess everyone will be guessing until we see the puff of white smoke from Cambridge.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HowieT3 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:51 am
GBMan wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:19 am Anyone know the deal with Coach Kirwan? Is he looking to stick around another couple of years at UVA as OC, or is he ready to make a move to HC?
No one seems to know what will happen. He has been mentioned as one of the strong candidates for the Harvard job, but a Thompson was mentioned on one board I saw as being ahead of Kirwan in preferability for the Crimson. I guess everyone will be guessing until we see the puff of white smoke from Cambridge.
I'd love to see Kirwan stay a couple more years with the Hoos, same for Kip Turner. Both of these guys could ultimately be top notch head coaches. Kip's 5 years senior to Sean. Just hoping UVA finds a way to make it worth their while financially to stick around longer. They making a very good coaching team.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

I think Thompson gets the first bite @ the Harvard apple. But if he passes I’d be worried about Kirwan. He was close to getting poached by Harvard for a 1st assistant position in 2016.
Fanlax999

Post by Fanlax999 »

I am rooting for UVA in 2020 to bring home another championship. Love their style of play and their coach.

BTW, my faint connection to Coach Tiffany came about 6-7 years ago when i bumped into someone at the airport who saw my kid wearing a lax shirt. i think he said he played back in the day in hs and college, he said his college roommate and good friend was a player as well, and coached college...and his name was Lars Tiffany at Brown. We chatted it up and he gave me his card and told me to give Lars a call about going to one of his camps, etc.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Sting The Corner wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:49 pm I think Thompson gets the first bite @ the Harvard apple. But if he passes I’d be worried about Kirwan. He was close to getting poached by Harvard for a 1st assistant position in 2016.
A Tweet posted on the Syracusefan board yesterday said the candidates for the Harvard job (in no particular order) were Byrne (ND), Cassese (G'Town), and Kirwan (UVa).
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Local UVA Philly products, Matt Moore and Dox Aitken, throwing out the 1st pitch to UVA alum Phillies Players at a Phillies Home Game

https://mobile.twitter.com/UVAMensLax/s ... 5874137088
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Matt Moore and Dox Aitken should have used lacrosse sticks
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

All 5 Virginia players at the Under Armour AA game looked solid. Shelllenberger is as advertised and Bower and Matsui should play early at Close D.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

blue angels wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am Local UVA Philly products, Matt Moore and Dox Aitken, throwing out the 1st pitch to UVA alum Phillies Players at a Phillies Home Game

They should've used lacrosse sticks.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

admin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 am
blue angels wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am Local UVA Philly products, Matt Moore and Dox Aitken, throwing out the 1st pitch to UVA alum Phillies Players at a Phillies Home Game

They should've used lacrosse sticks.
Thanks for sharing..that was great to see. Was made even more special with the 2 UVA grads catching the pitches!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”