USA U-20 National Team Roster

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: USA U-20 National Team Roster

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:03 am
DMac wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:01 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:48 pm I have to say, I am quite surprised by all this negativity. Maybe it’s only a small minority who are being vocal, but, to me, it’s a really bad look. My two cents.
I'm actually not surprised by the negativity. I'll preface this by saying I hope everyone who went had the time of their lives and enjoyed every minute of it. A group of teenage girls flying to Hong Kong to play lacrosse does much to perpetuate the perception of lacrosse being a game for the privileged. Had to be a nice chunk of change to send these gals to and from and put 'em up and feed 'em for however long they were there. Seems to me as if that money could have been spent much more wisely to grow the game (am confident that's what I'm going to be told here as the bigger reason for the trip) and based on the scores it certainly doesn't warrant the trip to play that level of competition. I wouldn't make that trip for all the tea in China (sorry, just too irresistible).
As a world championship, the location of the event moves around. I’m sure the Chinese lobbied for it. It has been in the United States twice, although not for 20 years. Last time it was in Canada. The time before that, Scotland. Sometimes the US team has to travel long distances, sometimes not. Just like the Olympics.
Yup, am well aware of this, been around this stuff for 60+ years at this point albeit mostly on the mlax side (they've gone as far as Australia to play in the World Tourney).

I do recall negative posts in years past about who should’ve been on the roster, blah blah blah. But I don’t recall such negativity about the event itself, or the US’s performance (except when we lost in 2015). Maybe it happened and I have forgotten.

Yes, lacrosse is perceived to be a sport of the privileged, but I don’t think flying the team to Hong Kong perpetuates that impression. Just a guess, but I’ll bet all US national teams in all sports are flown to the site of the world championships on their sports’ federations dime.
I've mentioned this tourney to a couple of people...lacrosse fans...and their reaction was, unsurprisingly, just that.

In saying the scores don’t warrant the trip, you seem to be saying the US team shouldn’t have attended. I don’t agree with that. I think they definitely should’ve gone.
Nope, not saying that, will say again, hope all had a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. You figure anyone got better (beyond practicing for the tourney) playing this level of competition? GK doesn't even see a shot for an entire game!! The level of competition does not warrant the trip, IMO. I think this is about "growing the game" which is fine and dandy, but it is excessive.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

user1020 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:31 am
forthelaxofit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:08 pm First congratulations to the team - well done. Some other random thoughts

1) Roster – Is Derrick White one of the top 10-15 players in the NBA? He made the US Olympic team. The B or C player thing is a joke and insulting to players who made it. Coach should pick the squad. That simple. (I do think picking your goalie who didn’t play a minute this year either because she was 3rd string on your team or sat out for redshirt reason doesn’t have the best look – but I sticking with coach gets to pick the team.)
2) Scores – if my daughter was selected for the team, I would want her to play hard. Many began tryouts over a year in advance and travelled around the world to play. And you want them to do what – go into 4 corner stall and end the game 7-1? No place for showboating plays to be sure, but they earned the right to play. I wrote before they should change rules for this tournament and provide mercy rule draw controls. Or maybe something else they could do? Are International rules running clock?
3) I don’t know if this event “grows” the game. Clearly other countries have talented women team athletes in sports interest to them. Look at field hockey in the Olympics - Quarterfinals were 5 European teams, Argentina, China and Australia. Soccer much the same. Even the “international” teams in this tournament had US born players on their teams through the rules established. It just is not popular enough in 90% of the world. And a question – how many of these countries other than US and Canada have a lacrosse federation that paid for 100% of the team expenses versus players/families footing some or all the bill? Maybe the cost, on top of little interest, is also a deterrent for some athletes outside the US.
4) My opinion – If Olympics looks anything like this, women’s lacrosse should not be in the 2028 Olympics. You just can’t have an Olympic sport that would have results like we just saw. Softball had a TOTAL of 6 teams in the 2020 Olympics before being excluded from 2024 Olympics. Not every sport has to be in the Olympics to validate it.
5) Does winning coach pick All Tournament team? Looking at some stats Dolce had 7 saves for the tournament out of 20 shots (35% save percentage). Even if all 7 of those saves were goals, US still wins every game by huge margins. I like Dolce, but 7 saves All Tournament is a head scratcher.
I completely agree with 4 & 5. I’d rather never see lacrosse in the Olympics in my life than see sixes. People need to stay true to the sport they love and have some respect for it. I don’t agree with this sixes nonsense. It’s a practice drill that is now in the Olympics. It’s like putting indoor soccer in the Olympics. In my opinion it’s a bad look for the sport and doesn’t show the true value and beauty of the game.

What is with the hype with Dolce? All tournament team. Listed at #2 I believe on IL Women Tewaaraton watch list. She’s a good goalie and makes some clutch saves, but she’s not even the best goalie in college lacrosse right now. It seems like the people who have control over lacrosse and its growth and publications do not have the right mindset. They’re clouded by lacrosse
politics and don’t do the sport any justice. I wish they would have some integrity and loyalty to the sport because the college game right now is near perfection.
Inside Lacrosse is becoming a bit of a tabloid unfortunately. They allow a lot of outside influences to tell them what to write and who to promote. Some of it is comical. I’m just going to leave it at that. IFKYK
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

McLax9777 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:49 am
user1020 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:31 am
forthelaxofit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:08 pm First congratulations to the team - well done. Some other random thoughts

1) Roster – Is Derrick White one of the top 10-15 players in the NBA? He made the US Olympic team. The B or C player thing is a joke and insulting to players who made it. Coach should pick the squad. That simple. (I do think picking your goalie who didn’t play a minute this year either because she was 3rd string on your team or sat out for redshirt reason doesn’t have the best look – but I sticking with coach gets to pick the team.)
2) Scores – if my daughter was selected for the team, I would want her to play hard. Many began tryouts over a year in advance and travelled around the world to play. And you want them to do what – go into 4 corner stall and end the game 7-1? No place for showboating plays to be sure, but they earned the right to play. I wrote before they should change rules for this tournament and provide mercy rule draw controls. Or maybe something else they could do? Are International rules running clock?
3) I don’t know if this event “grows” the game. Clearly other countries have talented women team athletes in sports interest to them. Look at field hockey in the Olympics - Quarterfinals were 5 European teams, Argentina, China and Australia. Soccer much the same. Even the “international” teams in this tournament had US born players on their teams through the rules established. It just is not popular enough in 90% of the world. And a question – how many of these countries other than US and Canada have a lacrosse federation that paid for 100% of the team expenses versus players/families footing some or all the bill? Maybe the cost, on top of little interest, is also a deterrent for some athletes outside the US.
4) My opinion – If Olympics looks anything like this, women’s lacrosse should not be in the 2028 Olympics. You just can’t have an Olympic sport that would have results like we just saw. Softball had a TOTAL of 6 teams in the 2020 Olympics before being excluded from 2024 Olympics. Not every sport has to be in the Olympics to validate it.
5) Does winning coach pick All Tournament team? Looking at some stats Dolce had 7 saves for the tournament out of 20 shots (35% save percentage). Even if all 7 of those saves were goals, US still wins every game by huge margins. I like Dolce, but 7 saves All Tournament is a head scratcher.
I completely agree with 4 & 5. I’d rather never see lacrosse in the Olympics in my life than see sixes. People need to stay true to the sport they love and have some respect for it. I don’t agree with this sixes nonsense. It’s a practice drill that is now in the Olympics. It’s like putting indoor soccer in the Olympics. In my opinion it’s a bad look for the sport and doesn’t show the true value and beauty of the game.

What is with the hype with Dolce? All tournament team. Listed at #2 I believe on IL Women Tewaaraton watch list. She’s a good goalie and makes some clutch saves, but she’s not even the best goalie in college lacrosse right now. It seems like the people who have control over lacrosse and its growth and publications do not have the right mindset. They’re clouded by lacrosse
politics and don’t do the sport any justice. I wish they would have some integrity and loyalty to the sport because the college game right now is near perfection.
Inside Lacrosse is becoming a bit of a tabloid unfortunately. They allow a lot of outside influences to tell them what to write and who to promote. Some of it is comical. I’m just going to leave it at that. IFKYK
Becoming? Pretty sure it’s been this way for awhile. Kids are allowed to pay them $250 to get evaluated and posted on their website.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

njbill wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:48 pm I have to say, I am quite surprised by all this negativity. Maybe it’s only a small minority who are being vocal, but, to me, it’s a really bad look. My two cents.
I'm actually not surprised by the negativity. I'll preface this by saying I hope everyone who went had the time of their lives and enjoyed every minute of it. A group of teenage girls flying to Hong Kong to play lacrosse does much to perpetuate the perception of lacrosse being a game for the privileged. Had to be a nice chunk of change to send these gals to and from and put 'em up and feed 'em for however long they were there. Seems to me as if that money could have been spent much more wisely to grow the game (am confident that's what I'm going to be told here as the bigger reason for the trip) and based on the scores it certainly doesn't warrant the trip to play that level of competition. I wouldn't make that trip for all the tea in China (sorry, just too irresistible).
As a world championship, the location of the event moves around. I’m sure the Chinese lobbied for it. It has been in the United States twice, although not for 20 years. Last time it was in Canada. The time before that, Scotland. Sometimes the US team has to travel long distances, sometimes not. Just like the Olympics.

I do recall negative posts in years past about who should’ve been on the roster, blah blah blah. But I don’t recall such negativity about the event itself, or the US’s performance (except when we lost in 2015). Maybe it happened and I have forgotten.

Yes, lacrosse is perceived to be a sport of the privileged, but I don’t think flying the team to Hong Kong perpetuates that impression. Just a guess, but I’ll bet all US national teams in all sports are flown to the site of the world championships on their sports’ federations dime.

In saying the scores don’t warrant the trip, you seem to be saying the US team shouldn’t have attended. I don’t agree with that. I think they definitely should’ve gone.
US Lax covers all travel expenses for the players. But the families go on their own dime which needless to say is a big chunk of change to fly to Hong Kong and stay in a hotel for 10 days.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:05 am
Yup, am well aware of this, been around this stuff for 60+ years at this point albeit mostly on the mlax side (they've gone as far as Australia to play in the World Tourney).

I've mentioned this tourney to a couple of people...lacrosse fans...and their reaction was, unsurprisingly, just that.

Nope, not saying that, will say again, hope all had a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. You figure anyone got better (beyond practicing for the tourney) playing this level of competition? GK doesn't even see a shot for an entire game!! The level of competition does not warrant the trip, IMO. I think this is about "growing the game" which is fine and dandy, but it is excessive.
As long as the tournament exists, I believe the US should attend. But let’s not fool ourselves that tournament has a significant impact on growing the game. This is not the Jordan, Magic Dream Team with household names that are on Worldwide TV. This is a sport that gets very little attention worldwide. An example – by my count Italy had 7 US College players, 5 US HS players, 2 Canadians and 3 from England. Seriously? How does that grow the game in Italy? Even if I am off a couple kids actually from Italy, they would have been unsuccessful fielding a Native Italian Sixes team. I don’t want to speak for DMAC comment about spending the money better, but if the Italy Lacrosse Federation funded the travel related cost for this team, I would agree the money could have been put to much better use within Italy. And if they don’t fund the travel – it supports the perception in Italy that it is a privileged sport and likely contributes to how few players living in Italy are on the team. (I am not trying to pick on Italy – I am sure you can find a ton of US girls on International rosters.)
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

forthelaxofit wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:49 pm

As long as the tournament exists, I believe the US should attend. But let’s not fool ourselves that tournament has a significant impact on growing the game. This is not the Jordan, Magic Dream Team with household names that are on Worldwide TV. This is a sport that gets very little attention worldwide. An example – by my count Italy had 7 US College players, 5 US HS players, 2 Canadians and 3 from England. Seriously? How does that grow the game in Italy? Even if I am off a couple kids actually from Italy, they would have been unsuccessful fielding a Native Italian Sixes team. I don’t want to speak for DMAC comment about spending the money better, but if the Italy Lacrosse Federation funded the travel related cost for this team, I would agree the money could have been put to much better use within Italy. And if they don’t fund the travel – it supports the perception in Italy that it is a privileged sport and likely contributes to how few players living in Italy are on the team. (I am not trying to pick on Italy – I am sure you can find a ton of US girls on International rosters.)
England and Australia and maybe Japan are the o my countries that even attempt to have grass roots development. And that’s limited. The rest of the u-20 programs are a mix of us born players who play for the country of their mother/father/grandparents etc….and a few girls who somehow get exposure in their home country (very very hard).
For the senior teams in Europe, it’s a club game played by adult women who don’t like field hockey or soccer or swimming or volleyball or hockey etc. nobody, or almost nobidy, grows up playing lacrosse in continental Europe.
And unlike the us, youth sports for non-professional sports are purely social and revolve around social clubs for kids and adults—not in school with an eye towards playing in university.
I just don’t see how this changes over the next 25 years…..
Nor do I care if it does. It’s a lot like softball. It’s a great sport played by a very small number of countries….

The senior world games are essentially a us versus Canada tournament. Australia and england and Israel (all is collegians) play for 3-5 place.
The rest of the teams are worse than the top 100 is high school teams….

And that’s ok too.

And as for sixes, I’ve commented before that I would rather see lacrosse not in the Olympics than sixes. Box lacrosse would be more honest. But to put a sport in the Olympics that is literally played and practiced by NOBODY seems ridiculous. At least 3v3 basketball is played all over the world all the time. Nobody says “let’s play sixes”. The only reason they do so is to practice for the Olympics!!!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Excellent analysis, WLF and FTLOI. Much appreciated.

I can't help but wonder whether this would be better off in more of a Ryder Cup format where the US plays against a UK/Canada/Australia combined squad. Play it every two years rotating among the four locations. Maybe sprinkle in some "demonstration games" where the other nations play some friendlies at the site.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:47 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:49 pm

England and Australia and maybe Japan are the o my countries that even attempt to have grass roots development. And that’s limited. The rest of the u-20 programs are a mix of us born players who play for the country of their mother/father/grandparents etc….and a few girls who somehow get exposure in their home country (very very hard).
For the senior teams in Europe, it’s a club game played by adult women who don’t like field hockey or soccer or swimming or volleyball or hockey etc. nobody, or almost nobidy, grows up playing lacrosse in continental Europe.
And unlike the us, youth sports for non-professional sports are purely social and revolve around social clubs for kids and adults—not in school with an eye towards playing in university.
I just don’t see how this changes over the next 25 years…..
Nor do I care if it does. It’s a lot like softball. It’s a great sport played by a very small number of countries….

The senior world games are essentially a us versus Canada tournament. Australia and england and Israel (all is collegians) play for 3-5 place.
The rest of the teams are worse than the top 100 is high school teams….

And that’s ok too.

And as for sixes, I’ve commented before that I would rather see lacrosse not in the Olympics than sixes. Box lacrosse would be more honest. But to put a sport in the Olympics that is literally played and practiced by NOBODY seems ridiculous. At least 3v3 basketball is played all over the world all the time. Nobody says “let’s play sixes”. The only reason they do so is to practice for the Olympics!!!
Excellent post.
"Box lacrosse would be more honest."
Watched quite a bit of the World Tourney (mlax, of course) when it was held here on the Onondaga Rez, was fantastic. There were a lot of countries involved and I was quite surprised by the number of teams that were competitive. A team with lesser skilled players can still create chaos, there's more room for error (those smaller goals increase your chances of getting the ball back), the rest of the world gets better faster in box, IMHO, and this is the game that should be in the Olympics.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:00 pm Excellent analysis, WLF and FTLOI. Much appreciated.

I can't help but wonder whether this would be better off in more of a Ryder Cup format where the US plays against a UK/Canada/Australia combined squad. Play it every two years rotating among the four locations. Maybe sprinkle in some "demonstration games" where the other nations play some friendlies at the site.
Huh? Bad idea.

The Ryder Cup is a three day event which includes a number of individual and “team” golf matches with different formats. Not exactly translatable into a lacrosse tournament.

There are no tryouts for the Ryder Cup. There are no practices other than participants playing the course the week of the event similar to what they do on the PGA Tour. You would need to have tryouts and multiple practices for the “event” you propose. Scheduling tryouts and practices for the Canada/UK/Australia team would be logistically very complicated, not to mention costly.

You are going to do all this (tryouts, practices, etc.) for one game between the US and the combined team? That’s ridiculous.

Every two years is too often. I don’t think you have any appreciation for how much time and effort is involved in the tryout process. Way too much to do every two years.

The US dominated this year, but it hasn’t always been that way. Canada won two cycles ago. None of the countries involved in the U20 championships would be interested in your proposal.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

njbill wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:22 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:00 pm Excellent analysis, WLF and FTLOI. Much appreciated.

Huh? Bad idea.

The Ryder Cup is a three day event which includes a number of individual and “team” golf matches with different formats. Not exactly translatable into a lacrosse tournament.

There are no tryouts for the Ryder Cup. There are no practices other than participants playing the course the week of the event similar to what they do on the PGA Tour. You would need to have tryouts and multiple practices for the “event” you propose. Scheduling tryouts and practices for the Canada/UK/Australia team would be logistically very complicated, not to mention costly.

You are going to do all this (tryouts, practices, etc.) for one game between the US and the combined team? That’s ridiculous.

Every two years is too often. I don’t think you have any appreciation for how much time and effort is involved in the tryout process. Way too much to do every two years.

The US dominated this year, but it hasn’t always been that way. Canada won two cycles ago. None of the countries involved in the U20 championships would be interested in your proposal.
Can Opener - I like the outside the box thinking.

NJBill - tell us how you really feel...geez.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think it’s a bad idea. If you think it’s a good idea, tell us why.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Huh? Bad idea.

I think you keep it this way and I would have no issues with either 1) having it every 2 years or 2) expanding to U18 division

Like Olympic basketball, this won't become interesting until the US or Canada lose. Keep having their events will encourage other countries to grow their sport.
njbill

Post by njbill »

The US did lose.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:31 am

Huh? Bad idea.

I like the out of box thinking too. So I will play. Yes I know it is fantasy but combine two concepts that have had great success – Little League World Series & World Cup Soccer. Round of 16 teams. Every 2 years starting in 2026.

1) Split the US into 4-8 Regions based on home state like Little League concept. 1 Day tryout like the Under Armour format. Must have had minimum 1 year of college “contributor” experience to attend. Also charge $100 for tryout. Have to draw a line somewhere after all. Regional Coach picks team.
2) Automatic Bids – Canada (maybe 2 regions?), Haudenosaunee, Japan (Bronze this year) & Australia (4th this year)
3) Far East – 2 qualifiers from regional play
4) America’s outside US & Canada – 2 qualifiers from regional play
5) Europe – 2 qualifiers from regional play

Rules that International team players must be citizens of country – max of 3 exceptions to start and eliminated over time. Real citizens, not grandparent eligible type stuff. (After all, the point is to “grow the game” and not have US players playing on International teams)

Splitting US into regions does 2 things. One - the one US team in not as stacked with 20 best kids in country. Still talented teams but not a super team. Two - to really get some competitive games going among better teams and also try and limit blowout scores on other end.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sounds a lot like the current UA/AS format with the addition of teams from other countries.

I prefer an international competition between teams from different countries. The US was dominant this year, but that hasn’t always been the case in the past.

My impression is that changing the age limit really helped the US because the core of our team was made up of players who had played two years in college. Not only does that give them a lot of very good experience, but it allowed the selectors to get a better feel for who the better players really are.

Haven’t heard, but I’m kind of hoping they go back to U19 after this (perhaps) one off experience.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

forthelaxofit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:17 am
intheknow247 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:31 am

Huh? Bad idea.

I like the out of box thinking too. So I will play. Yes I know it is fantasy but combine two concepts that have had great success – Little League World Series & World Cup Soccer. Round of 16 teams. Every 2 years starting in 2026.

1) Split the US into 4-8 Regions based on home state like Little League concept. 1 Day tryout like the Under Armour format. Must have had minimum 1 year of college “contributor” experience to attend. Also charge $100 for tryout. Have to draw a line somewhere after all. Regional Coach picks team.
2) Automatic Bids – Canada (maybe 2 regions?), Haudenosaunee, Japan (Bronze this year) & Australia (4th this year)
3) Far East – 2 qualifiers from regional play
4) America’s outside US & Canada – 2 qualifiers from regional play
5) Europe – 2 qualifiers from regional play

Rules that International team players must be citizens of country – max of 3 exceptions to start and eliminated over time. Real citizens, not grandparent eligible type stuff. (After all, the point is to “grow the game” and not have US players playing on International teams)

Splitting US into regions does 2 things. One - the one US team in not as stacked with 20 best kids in country. Still talented teams but not a super team. Two - to really get some competitive games going among better teams and also try and limit blowout scores on other end.
Dang! This is so much better than my Ryder Cup idea. Instead of narrowing the field of potential winners, you're expanding it. This would make things 10X more interesting than the current format. Picking up on your LLWS idea, maybe we have the permanent home for this be up on the Onondaga land outside of Syracuse. Good cultural vibes and a boost to the local economy. Much better summer weather than Balto and easier for DMac to oversee hospitality (BBQ grills & kegs).
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yeah, I like that idea. Of course the week needs to include some time spent on the porch of the Cobblestone with our lacrosse gal bartender, Alicia for some socializing time.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

I assumed the tournament was in HK because Joe Tsai (NW around 9 Billion) wanted it there. Nothing wrong with a billionaire supporting the sport :!:

When I was at the Women's world cup, he was there in some secret Billionaire location (I think press box), his daughter was on the HK team, I think. I heard he was funding the HK team at the time (which is awesome).

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”