USA U-20 National Team Roster

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: USA U-20 National Team Roster

Post by wgdsr »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:57 am 23-6 Final USA wins. Wrote about this earlier in this thread..but the talent gap will continue to get wider before it gets closer. Rapid growth and development in the US is even faster than previous years.

And this roster was a C level roster and not as strong as it could have been.
did the players you thought should've been on it play much better during the tryouts? there were a lot of them, that's a ton of dedication as a fan.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:08 am
laxfan2889 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:41 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:35 am Score? Update? Help!!
USA up 14-3. 6 min into the 3rd.
Thank you!!
Sorry, I put all my updates on the wrong thread. Obviously I got up too early in the morning.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:57 am this roster was a C level roster and not as strong as it could have been.
Can’t say that I am intimately familiar with all of the players who tried out, but that’s a pretty bold statement. Your “C level” comment suggests there were 48 players better than the 22 who made the final team. I can’t believe that that is the case.
Last edited by njbill on Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:57 am 23-6 Final USA wins. Wrote about this earlier in this thread..but the talent gap will continue to get wider before it gets closer. Rapid growth and development in the US is even faster than previous years.

And this roster was a C level roster and not as strong as it could have been.
That’s a ridiculous statement.
C level? With Emma lopinto, Aliya polisky, shea dolce, Madison alaimo, etc.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Final Roster was 22 players. not 48. and ofcourse there are a few obvious top players. But most of the players on this roster are second and third options on their collegiate teams and high school teams. No offense to Alaimo, she's good but i can think of better players than her. i can say the same for about 13 other players.

Devon Russel wasn't on this team. Giulia Colaruso wasn't on this team. Kayla Gilmore. these are all better players than many on this roster. and that's not including some really good collegiate freshman who didn't even get a sniff.

That's all i'm saying. Not that ridiculous of a statement
njbill

Post by njbill »

This was the only game I watched, but even putting aside the change from U19 to U20, allowing the US team to have college players is a huge help. It seems to me that the core of the team has played two years in college, which is very significant. The team did not have any high school underclassmen as they have had in the past, and only two players who have not played in college.

I’m wondering if the tournament will go back to U19 after this year. My understanding is that they went to U20 this year because they moved the tournament back a year and didn’t want to prevent players who otherwise would’ve been eligible from playing on the team.

Don’t know if this game was officiated differently than other games in the tournament, but I thought the game was called quite closely, almost like a high school game. Certainly not as a college game would be officiated. That benefited the USA because Canada got 6 yellows (US had two). Didn’t keep track of how many goals the US scored when they were player up, but I’ll bet it was least 1/3. The announcer said that one yellow Canada got was a non-releasable five minute penalty. (I’m not sure what the international yellow card rules are.)

Congrats to the USA team. They put in a lot of time and hard work to get to this point. We in this country take for granted that our teams will win world titles. It ain’t that easy.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:27 pm Final Roster was 22 players. not 48. and ofcourse there are a few obvious top players. But most of the players on this roster are second and third options on their collegiate teams and high school teams. No offense to Alaimo, she's good but i can think of better players than her. i can say the same for about 13 other players.

Devon Russel wasn't on this team. Giulia Colaruso wasn't on this team. Kayla Gilmore. these are all better players than many on this roster. and that's not including some really good collegiate freshman who didn't even get a sniff.

Oh no, it’s a ridiculous statement.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:27 pm Final Roster was 22 players. not 48. and ofcourse there are a few obvious top players. But most of the players on this roster are second and third options on their collegiate teams and high school teams. No offense to Alaimo, she's good but i can think of better players than her. i can say the same for about 13 other players.

Yes, my math was wrong. Not 48, but 44. You said the team was the C team which means there were 22 players on your A team and 22 players on your B team who you think were better than the 22 players on the roster.

Taylor and Lopinto on the C team??

You have named a couple of players, but nowhere near 44 players who are better than the 22 who made the final team.

And Levy and Rudolph were not second or third options on their high school teams.

Everybody probably can think of a handful of players they think should’ve made the final roster, but 44 players?

It sounds like you have an ax to grind. Not sure what it is.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

so you didn't answer the question directly, but it sounds like you think there should've been 1 to however many people just select players they voted in vs. having them tryout on the same field together.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

the same complaining about parity in this tournament are the ones complaining about the USA having a “C team” play. The USA’s closest game was +17 aganist Canada, it doesn’t matter who played & made the roster it worked out just fine. And it definitely helps some Northwestern players get better for when they have to step up next season with the losses on both ends on the field. Also, don’t forget injuries also affected the final roster. Humphrey & Leonard couldn’t join the training camp due to injuries, but still USA won so that wasn’t a problem. It helps the game a lot more than you think that we didn’t bring the top roster you wanted because the games would be even more one-sided.

23-6 was a great win for the USA, I was expecting it to be alittle closer but USA still won so I’m happy. Canada’s defense impressed me throughout the tournament, but like I said if you don’t have the offense to support a defense you won’t win. Great tournament for this team, and also congrats Japan on winning Bronze!
njbill

Post by njbill »

All tournament team:

Lydia Colasante 🇺🇸
Shea Dolce 🇺🇸
Kori Edmondson 🇺🇸
Maddie Epke 🇺🇸
Emma LoPinto 🇺🇸
Jami Macdonald 🇨🇦
Avery Morton 🇨🇦
Negai Nakazawa 🇯🇵
Miriam Suares-Jury 🇦🇺
Madison Taylor 🇺🇸
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:54 pm All tournament team:

Lydia Colasante 🇺🇸
Shea Dolce 🇺🇸
Kori Edmondson 🇺🇸
Maddie Epke 🇺🇸
Emma LoPinto 🇺🇸
Jami Macdonald 🇨🇦
Avery Morton 🇨🇦
Negai Nakazawa 🇯🇵
Miriam Suares-Jury 🇦🇺
Madison Taylor 🇺🇸
C Teamers.
njbill

Post by njbill »

:)
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Great job by the USA coaching staff to win with a bunch of C team players. :lol: :roll:
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:28 pm

Lydia Colasante 🇺🇸
Shea Dolce 🇺🇸
Kori Edmondson 🇺🇸
Maddie Epke 🇺🇸
Emma LoPinto 🇺🇸
Jami Macdonald 🇨🇦
Avery Morton 🇨🇦
Negai Nakazawa 🇯🇵
Miriam Suares-Jury 🇦🇺
Madison Taylor 🇺🇸
C Teamers.
First of all, i said there were top players. and all of these players are top players. The fact that they made the all tourny team does nothing against my argument.

The rest of the roster is interchangeable. and there are better players that werent selected. why aren't you understanding that? This U20 dominating international competition against inferior opponents is proof of the USA depth of talent. I discussed that.

This roster also had Emma Muchnick. Reagan Obrien. Hannah Rudolph. Haven Dora. You're telling me this is the best america has to offer in this age group? That's the point im making. These names are all C tier level players.

Using alogic, if you know there are better players out there compared to some on this roster, can you not conclude that this wasn't the strongest possible roster selected?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Lydia Colasante 🇺🇸
Shea Dolce 🇺🇸
Kori Edmondson 🇺🇸
Maddie Epke 🇺🇸
Emma LoPinto 🇺🇸
Jami Macdonald 🇨🇦
Avery Morton 🇨🇦
Negai Nakazawa 🇯🇵
Miriam Suares-Jury 🇦🇺
Madison Taylor 🇺🇸
C Teamers.
First of all, i said there were top players. and all of these players are top players. The fact that they made the all tourny team does nothing against my argument.

The rest of the roster is interchangeable. and there are better players that werent selected. why aren't you understanding that? This U20 dominating international competition against inferior opponents is proof of the USA depth of talent. I discussed that.

This roster also had Emma Muchnick. Reagan Obrien. Hannah Rudolph. Haven Dora. You're telling me this is the best america has to offer in this age group? That's the point im making. These names are all C tier level players.

Using logic, if you know there are better players out there compared to some on this roster, can you not conclude that this wasn't the strongest possible roster selected?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:10 pm

Lydia Colasante 🇺🇸
Shea Dolce 🇺🇸
Kori Edmondson 🇺🇸
Maddie Epke 🇺🇸
Emma LoPinto 🇺🇸
Jami Macdonald 🇨🇦
Avery Morton 🇨🇦
Negai Nakazawa 🇯🇵
Miriam Suares-Jury 🇦🇺
Madison Taylor 🇺🇸
C Teamers.

Using logic, if you know there are better players out there compared to some on this roster, can you not conclude that this wasn't the strongest possible roster selected?
Fair assessment. I’m assuming you saw the U-18 roster. I’m not sure who showed up for the U20 but there were quite a few big names not there for the U18. Some, that have been said to be “overrated” were there and left off. I would think it was similar for the 20s. Just like college coaches and their teams, chefs are looking to pick their own ingredients. I wouldn’t refer to them as “c.” But that’s just me
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

The u16 and u18 are just a money grab by USA lacrosse. Most of the top players except injured girls were at one of the u-20 camps. There were a few head scratchers (Rudolph, Cumberland). It was also weird the lack of defenders with Edmondson playing D the whole time. The offense and defense were fun to watch and KAH and her coaches obviously had a style they wanted. Canada also had some weird picks but both countries knew they were going to finish where they did pretty much regardless of who they picked.
njbill

Post by njbill »

There has always been controversy over the selections. Taylor Cummings did not make the 2011 team. Sam Apuzzo did not make the 2015 team. Other factors may also come into play. As noted, injuries. Also, sometimes players simply don’t try out. It is, after all, a huge time commitment over a long period of time.

The truth is the differences between a lot of the players is pretty slim. We posters (and I include myself) sometimes like to criticize, but we weren’t at all of the tryouts. We didn’t pore over film. We have our personal favorites of course. We like to carp about the selection process if our favorites don’t get selected.

At the end of the day, the selection committee needs to assemble a team that plays well together and that gets along both on the field and off. Players are selected to play certain, sometimes limited, roles.

The job is to win the gold. The selection committee and coaches and players accomplished that. In 2015 the US didn’t win. That was bitterly disappointing. Lots of – I think fair – criticisms were leveled at the process and the team back then. This year, the team cruised to victory. Everyone who played a role should be congratulated.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:10 pm

Lydia Colasante 🇺🇸
Shea Dolce 🇺🇸
Kori Edmondson 🇺🇸
Maddie Epke 🇺🇸
Emma LoPinto 🇺🇸
Jami Macdonald 🇨🇦
Avery Morton 🇨🇦
Negai Nakazawa 🇯🇵
Miriam Suares-Jury 🇦🇺
Madison Taylor 🇺🇸
C Teamers.

Using alogic, if you know there are better players out there compared to some on this roster, can you not conclude that this wasn't the strongest possible roster selected?
I usually agree with what you write. But not here. Until anyone gets to college, they are all unproven. Its. O accident that the all star team members for the us and all of the biggest contributors were college players.
Madison Taylor in high school? Unproven and not top 40. Izzy scane. Not top 20. Devon Russell may be a great college player….or she may not be.
I assume you weren’t at tryouts.
So to say that any high school player is an “a team” player versus names you mentioned who are “c-team” is pure speculation. Until they prove themself in college, they are all “b listers”. And think we got most of the a list college players who were eligible and uninjuerwd.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”