Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by jff97 »

Wonder who they bring in. A high potential program with the right person leading it.
MDstateMan

Post by MDstateMan »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:25 pm Caroline Steele on the move? A chance to inject some young energy into the stale Hoyas program?
Does she have resume for a HC job this high profile? I'd assume they go after a candidate with HC experience or more experience at bigger programs. Seems like a nice gig though, high academic, in hot bed area.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

If you think he retired on his own, then I have a bridge to sell you.

My guess is they get an interim coach for a year. Really tough to get a coach after 9/1 because of how most assistant coaching contracts are written. Can't promote from within because both assistant on staff are very inexperienced.

I'm sure Julie Myers and Janine Tucker's phones are ringing.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Something doesn't seem right with the timing of this ''RETIREMENT." Are you just going to throw away the recruiting process starting Sept 1? I don't get it. He was at every tournament this summer.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I'll be shocked if Adam Sear isn't one of the first folks they call. Not working now, can recruit, and understands the nuances of working in a catholic school with an "extremely engaged" alumni group.

If Georgetown can find a way to recruit MD and VA better, most of their problems can be solved pretty quickly.

Over the past 3 recruiting classes, Georgetown has only recruited 6 Maryland girls and at least 2 of them had heavy alum connections. Get more IAAM girls going to a "local" school and things can improve quickly.
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

He was forced out but allowed to “retire”. I wonder what happened between May and now for this to happen now. Timing is not good. When does the transfer portal open up for Georgetown players?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:12 am He was forced out but allowed to “retire”. I wonder what happened between May and now for this to happen now. Timing is not good. When does the transfer portal open up for Georgetown players?
It's open immediately. Though I can only thing of one maybe two current players who may have significant options.
njbill

Post by njbill »

laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:12 am He was forced out but allowed to “retire”. I wonder what happened between May and now for this to happen now. Timing is not good.
That certainly makes sense. Time for the forum rumor mongers to spill the beans.

Georgetown is not a September 1 school, but still it’s awful late in the day for a new coach to start the recruiting process.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

Long time Longmeadow (MA) high school coach Steve Dudeck has been hired as an assistant at Quinnipiac: https://gobobcats.com/news/2024/8/19/wo ... staff.aspx
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

njbill wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:39 am
laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:12 am He was forced out but allowed to “retire”. I wonder what happened between May and now for this to happen now. Timing is not good.
That certainly makes sense. Time for the forum rumor mongers to spill the beans.

Georgetown is not a September 1 school, but still it’s awful late in the day for a new coach to start the recruiting process.
What does it mean that "Georgetown is not a September 1 school"? It is D1, not a service academy. Is there some other set of rules that apply to it?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sorry, should have been clearer. I mean they are not a team that is competing for the top tier recruits who will commit on or around September 1. An exception would be for players who have their hearts set on the school or perhaps legacies. But those types of players will be willing to wait.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Dasher wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:02 am Something doesn't seem right with the timing of this ''RETIREMENT." Are you just going to throw away the recruiting process starting Sept 1? I don't get it. He was at every tournament this summer.
Apparently he also wasn’t on the call where the team were advised either, it was the Athletic Dept admin which seems weird and points to them being kind and allowing the comms to be he chose to “retire”.

I would expect that a retiring coach would usually tell the team themselves, especially with it being such a late decision and some of the kids having moved onto campus in the days prior.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:30 am
Dasher wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:02 am Something doesn't seem right with the timing of this ''RETIREMENT." Are you just going to throw away the recruiting process starting Sept 1? I don't get it. He was at every tournament this summer.
Apparently he also wasn’t on the call where the team were advised either, it was the Athletic Dept admin which seems weird and points to them being kind and allowing the comms to be he chose to “retire”.

I would expect that a retiring coach would usually tell the team themselves, especially with it being such a late decision and some of the kids having moved onto campus in the days prior.
Georgetown - "time has come, you aren't going to return, how would you like it worded Ricky before you sign your Separation Agreement? We will allow to say Retiring if you choose, and if not, then you are officially let go?"

Ricky - "I will sign the release but get to say Retired"

The Separation Agreement process will allow said terminated employee to have a hand in their own wording for the statement but being allowed to say "goodbye" to a team, especially live like a Zoom call, is usually off the table.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:01 am

My guess is they get an interim coach for a year. Really tough to get a coach after 9/1 because of how most assistant coaching contracts are written. Can't promote from within because both assistant on staff are very inexperienced.

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:00 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:01 am

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.
I think she would be a great long-term choice. However, my point is that I doubt Apuzzo's contract would allow her to accept another position once school has started. (Pretty standard for most assistant contracts).

This is why I think a 1-year interim solution is most likely.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

One year interim might hurt the next two recruiting classes. Someone like Amy Bokker might be a good fit there. She did well at Stanford but not so well at Ohio State.
MDstateMan

Post by MDstateMan »

laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:41 pm One year interim might hurt the next two recruiting classes. Someone like Amy Bokker might be a good fit there. She did well at Stanford but not so well at Ohio State.
Throwing out names, why not a Dana Dobbie, who at Loyola, knows about recruiting at a smaller, Jesuit "lacrosse first school". Its also not too big of an upheaval locality wise, in same hotbed area of country.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

So when is KK retiring? :roll:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

MDstateMan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:56 pm
laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:41 pm One year interim might hurt the next two recruiting classes. Someone like Amy Bokker might be a good fit there. She did well at Stanford but not so well at Ohio State.
Throwing out names, why not a Dana Dobbie, who at Loyola, knows about recruiting at a smaller, Jesuit "lacrosse first school". Its also not too big of an upheaval locality wise, in same hotbed area of country.
doubt that happens....though she would be a good choice.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”