media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: media matters

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

'White Dudes for Harris' X Suspension Sparks Fury: 'Election Interference'

They should be using a different platform, as Musk certainly is no free speech absolutist. It appears more and more he's breaking his own platform rules (the AI Harris post) and censoring people he doesn't like.

We're not afraid of social media posts here on the forum. It's when people post blatantly false information from Twitter or other sources, it clutters up the forum and doesn't promote to any discussion. We're able to fact check them and show they're false or deliberately manipulated stories, but there's virtually never a 'mea culpa' from the poster(s). Who knows if they actually believe the fake stuff that's posted, or they're just doing it to stir the pot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:13 pm 'White Dudes for Harris' X Suspension Sparks Fury: 'Election Interference'

They should be using a different platform, as Musk certainly is no free speech absolutist. It appears more and more he's breaking his own platform rules (the AI Harris post) and censoring people he doesn't like.

We're not afraid of social media posts here on the forum. It's when people post blatantly false information from Twitter or other sources, it clutters up the forum and doesn't promote to any discussion. We're able to fact check them and show they're false or deliberately manipulated stories, but there's virtually never a 'mea culpa' from the poster(s). Who knows if they actually believe the fake stuff that's posted, or they're just doing it to stir the pot.
Peter Briwn and all his numerous mark a**, fake a**c super pu**y-ish alises definitely flooded this joint eith all sorts of bad and false information. Total waste of oxygen on this planet that dude.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:56 pm
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:47 pm What you share above are at the extreme reaches of both sides of the coin, and you certainly take a dim view of your fellow human's ability to think, reason, and formulate beliefs. You say governments are fighting "this stuff". Indeed. Are you also suggesting governments are never guilty of creating "this stuff"? :roll:
Government's do it, too? That's the "they're all lying" argument....where two wrongs make a right, and we should get our information from "some guy on the internet" because a politician lied or exaggerated. Hard pass from me on that.
Ah, words in my mouth. Our government is CAPABLE of lying. Our government HAS had lies exposed. I never said two wrongs make a right. And I never said we should get information from some guy on the internet, but rather there do happen to be - shocking! - "guys and gals" on the internet who provide high quality news and information. You frame with "choose one or other" (MSM vs. Non-tradtional news/information sources). I frame with I'll take "both/neither", and assess accordingly to draw my own conclusions.

Meanwhile, back at mainstream media ranch, we get different sets of facts based on which algorithm serves up our choices. Same crime, two stories. One major fact neglected. Stories published 5 minutes apart.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/loca ... y/3679196/

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/carjacker-h ... ffs-office

Notice anything?

One story's reporters and editors chose not to report a piece of information their MSM news competitor and indeed "some guys on the internet" did report:

"The Office of Enforcement and Removal Operations for Washington, D.C. confirmed to FOX 5 that Aguilar-Martinez is originally from El Salvador and is in the U.S. illegally. ERO Washington lodged an immigration detainer against Aguilar on July 29 with the Loudoun County Adult Detention Center in Leesburg, Virginia."

Hard pass from me on narrative curating omissions which my skeptical self attributes to my party's wish to memory hole the cost of the border crisis. It might make someone - the czar that wasn't a czar - look bad. No one else here find that - weird? Oh, wait, weird is already taken! :lol:
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
a fan

Post by a fan »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:14 am
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:47 pm What you share above are at the extreme reaches of both sides of the coin, and you certainly take a dim view of your fellow human's ability to think, reason, and formulate beliefs. You say governments are fighting "this stuff". Indeed. Are you also suggesting governments are never guilty of creating "this stuff"? :roll:
Government's do it, too? That's the "they're all lying" argument....where two wrongs make a right, and we should get our information from "some guy on the internet" because a politician lied or exaggerated. Hard pass from me on that.
Ah, words in my mouth. Our government is CAPABLE of lying. Our government HAS had lies exposed. I never said two wrongs make a right. And I never said we should get information from some guy on the internet, but rather there do happen to be - shocking! - "guys and gals" on the internet who provide high quality news and information. You frame with "choose one or other" (MSM vs. Non-tradtional news/information sources). I frame with I'll take "both/neither", and assess accordingly to draw my own conclusions.
Not trying to put words in your mouth, but I've heard this argument before, sorry.

So...give me non-traditional sources you use. Start there. Then we can be on the same page.
Meanwhile, back at mainstream media ranch, we get different sets of facts based on which algorithm serves up our choices. Same crime, two stories. One major fact neglected. Stories published 5 minutes apart.

Notice anything?

One story's reporters and editors chose not to report a piece of information their MSM news competitor and indeed "some guys on the internet" did report:

"The Office of Enforcement and Removal Operations for Washington, D.C. confirmed to FOX 5 that Aguilar-Martinez is originally from El Salvador and is in the U.S. illegally. ERO Washington lodged an immigration detainer against Aguilar on July 29 with the Loudoun County Adult Detention Center in Leesburg, Virginia."

Hard pass from me on narrative curating omissions which my skeptical self attributes to my party's wish to memory hole the cost of the border crisis. It might make someone - the czar that wasn't a czar - look bad. No one else here find that - weird? Oh, wait, weird is already taken! :lol:
Ok, so this is where I have problems. You don't notice that you are preferring the narrative you want to hear, and discarding the one that you don't.

TO YOU it's paramount to the story that it's an illegal immigrant who did it. You want the right wing perspective, and to hear about the soup-du-jour "immigrants are all murderers" schtick being peddled by the Republican party....and you CLEARLY want to blame the Biden Admin. for every person here who's illegal who commits a crime.

And there are right wings sites all over the internet who are DELIGHTED to spoon-feed you your slanted view of the world. Clickbait....they want your money.

And the more you click on this stuff? The more you hear stories like this...and you "conclude" that the world is burning down. When in fact, A. illegal immigrants (and legal ones) commit crimes at a lower rate than the US population. and B. Biden had an immigration bill written in full, ready for the House back in January of 2021.

Did the House pick it up, and get to work on it, so that we could fix our immigration and visa issue? Nope. Know why? So that the problem is still there in 2024, so that guys like you are angry, and vote for Trump, who will once again promise to "fix it"....just like he promised last time he was running for office.

Remind me: did Trump pass an immigration bill to fix the problem? Even just one bill? ;)

THIS is why I despise "some guy on the internet", Waffle.
Last edited by a fan on Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:28 am
Not trying to put words in your mouth, but I've heard this argument before, sorry.

So...give me non-traditional sources you use. Start there. Then we can be on the same page.
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:19 am Meanwhile, back at mainstream media ranch, we get different sets of facts based on which algorithm serves up our choices. Same crime, two stories. One major fact neglected. Stories published 5 minutes apart.

Notice anything?

Ok, so this is where I have problems. You don't notice that you are preferring the narrative you want to hear, and discarding the one that you don't.

TO YOU it's paramount to the story that it's an illegal immigrant who did it. You want the right wing perspective, and to hear about the soup-du-jour "immigrants are all murderers" schtick being peddled by the Republican party....and you CLEARLY want to blame the Biden Admin. for every person here who's illegal who commits a crime.

And there are right wings sites all over the internet who are DELIGHTED to spoon-feed you your slanted view of the world. Clickbait....they want your money.

And the more you click on this stuff? The more you hear stories like this...and you "conclude" that the world is burning down. When in fact, A. illegal immigrants (and legal ones) commit crimes at a lower rate than the US population. and B. Biden had an immigration bill written in full, ready for the House back in January of 2021.

Did the House pick it up, and get to work on it, so that we could fix our immigration and visa issue? Nope. Know why? So that the problem is still there in 2024, so that guys like you are angry, and vote for Trump, who will once again promise to "fix it"....just like he promised last time he was running for office.

Remind me: did Trump pass an immigration bill to fix the problem? Even just one bill? ;)

afan -- plz check your cut & paste job. you appear to be attributing waffles words to me.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:28 am Ok, so this is where I have problems. You don't notice that you are preferring the narrative you want to hear, and discarding the one that you don't.
I provided a granular example in the daily tsunami of narrative curation by our esteemed mainstream media - that according to you one can't be skeptical of if one also searches for information from non-mainstream sources. :roll: The preferred narrative of my sharing that news treatment comparison (and glaring) omission was as evidence of the last few weeks of frantic "border czar washing" and memory holing (which has been tantamount to a form of twisted performative theater) of Kamala's role in the border crisis. Media related - here in the media thread. Anyone here who doesn't feel that way, fine. You do you.

There's a whole thread as you know of the border crisis, including extensive dissection and discussion of the reform bill which was rejected. A great deal of information pro and con regarding provisions within that bill which helped to make it a non-starter sits on that thread. This thread is Media, and my chosen example was a recent media relevant observation I shared as illustration of the broader topics I broached in the past day regarding the interesting discussions here.

Many folks here seem resentful and incapable of comprehending one can be skeptical of one's own party's faults. Dare to question the prevailing "my party all good, your party all bad" binary model here, and not toeing the party line without question or reservations like a good pacified soldier – and sweeping generalizations, stereotypes, and daggers shall be your reward.

Regarding immigrants here illegally (a crime) who then perpetrate a violent crime, I have a preferred narrative: I don't give so much as one single flaming fluck what their statistics of crime are compared to legals or citizens. I reject and discard those statistics as having anything whatsoever to do with the narrative hell visited upon their victims (and their victim's families). If the perpetrators weren't here, their specific crimes wouldn't have occurred. That's not narrative. That's fact. Any semantic gymnastics designed to absolve those who are here illegally/criminally from the horrific crimes they have perpetrated will fall on deaf ears.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:01 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:28 am Ok, so this is where I have problems. You don't notice that you are preferring the narrative you want to hear, and discarding the one that you don't.
I provided a granular example in the daily tsunami of narrative curation by our esteemed mainstream media - that according to you one can't be skeptical of if one also searches for information from non-mainstream sources. :roll: The preferred narrative of my sharing that news treatment comparison (and glaring) omission was as evidence of the last few weeks of frantic "border czar washing" and memory holing (which has been tantamount to a form of twisted performative theater) of Kamala's role in the border crisis. Media related - here in the media thread. Anyone here who doesn't feel that way, fine. You do you.

There's a whole thread as you know of the border crisis, including extensive dissection and discussion of the reform bill which was rejected. A great deal of information pro and con regarding provisions within that bill which helped to make it a non-starter sits on that thread. This thread is Media, and my chosen example was a recent media relevant observation I shared as illustration of the broader topics I broached in the past day regarding the interesting discussions here.

Many folks here seem resentful and incapable of comprehending one can be skeptical of one's own party's faults. Dare to question the prevailing "my party all good, your party all bad" binary model here, and not toeing the party line without question or reservations like a good pacified soldier – and sweeping generalizations, stereotypes, and daggers shall be your reward.

Regarding immigrants here illegally (a crime) who then perpetrate a violent crime, I have a preferred narrative: I don't give so much as one single flaming fluck what their statistics of crime are compared to legals or citizens. I reject and discard those statistics as having anything whatsoever to do with the narrative hell visited upon their victims (and their victim's families). If the perpetrators weren't here, their specific crimes wouldn't have occurred. That's not narrative. That's fact. Any semantic gymnastics designed to absolve those who are here illegally/criminally from the horrific crimes they have perpetrated will fall on deaf ears.
But do you support the one thing that could have a material impact on this issue (illegal immigrants): rigorous enforcement of I-9 law, to include jail time for individuals not in conformance, up be to and including corporate officers shown to knowledgeable of said violations? Hmm? Jail a few meat packers and corporate farm executives? 'Cause I bet this ridiculous, perpetual "wedge" issue would resolve lickety-split.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:28 am

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:19 am Meanwhile, back at mainstream media ranch, we get different sets of facts based on which algorithm serves up our choices. Same crime, two stories. One major fact neglected. Stories published 5 minutes apart.

Notice anything?

Trump is against the people Old Salt and Waffle are against. Not what he can do for them but what he can do to people they don’t like. It is that SIMPLE.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:01 pm Many folks here seem resentful and incapable of comprehending one can be skeptical of one's own party's faults. Dare to question the prevailing "my party all good, your party all bad" binary model here, and not toeing the party line without question or reservations like a good pacified soldier – and sweeping generalizations, stereotypes, and daggers shall be your reward.
I'm an independent. Always have been.

And sorry, you're dead wrong. The ONLY crew here who refuses to question or criticize their own party are Republicans.

The Dems? Have a look.....they got a sitting President to bow out of an election because they can tell he's too freaking old to do four more years...and said so. Loudly. Repeatedly.

Sorry mate, the Forum's Dems have been throwing stones at Biden, his policies, his age, his speeches, and everything else under the sun.

Meanwhile, go and find one single word about the R's policies from the Forum's Trump supporters. Good luck with that.

Find me the part where Republicans care that Trump's speeches make far less sense than Bidens, and that he confuses names all the time...and when he wins, he'll be the oldest POTUS we've ever had.

They can't even pretend to care. And while we're at it....do you? Tell me you're bothered by Trump's age and incoherence, and want him to drop out.
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:01 pm
Regarding immigrants here illegally (a crime) who then perpetrate a violent crime, I have a preferred narrative: I don't give so much as one single flaming fluck what their statistics of crime are compared to legals or citizens. I reject and discard those statistics as having anything whatsoever to do with the narrative hell visited upon their victims (and their victim's families). If the perpetrators weren't here.....

My point, which you missed, is that the victims don't care who killed them, or where they came from. You do, because you're being fed a narrative that ignores that we've had millions and millions of illegal workers living here for DECADES now...... which makes it clickbait.

They want you to stay angry, and vote Republican, who promised to fix it-----if you remember-----LAST time Trump was in office.

Did Trump pass even one immigration reform bill? No, right? Now why do you suppose that is?

It's to keep voters like you angry, and keep you voting Republican.....and here you are, angry that an immigrant killed a US citizen. Right on cue.

And if Trump wins? He'll give the same excuses as to why he can't pass a bill, or do what he promised----to go after businesses and management for hiring illegal workers.

Naturally, he'd have to put himself in jail for the illegals that we caught working at Mar a Lago, so..... :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:43 pm afan -- plz check your cut & paste job. you appear to be attributing waffles words to me.
Ah cr*p. I'm truly sorry. I'll fix it. Doggone it. It's NOT intentional, my apologies.

Fixed. I'll be more careful.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Far right media delusional pundit Sean Hannity attacks Walz's family:

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/s ... d-daughter

Walz's wife, the first lady of Minnesota, was basking in the violence, you know, -- opened all the windows to their home so she could smell burning tires and rejoice in the resistance and get this, according to the Senate Committee report, around the same time the National Guard was finally being mobilized and starting to arrive in Minneapolis, well, according to this report, the governor's daughter was given access to confidential information that she then disseminated to the general public and rioters. Might want to check that out.

more ...

Sick and pathetic liar.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Small nit with a fan's discussion with waffle.

Some Republicans, even on here, have been willing to rip Trump.

It would be more accurate to say "MAGA Republicans" or as a fan did say, "Trump supporters" on here are totally blind and dumb to Trump's grotesque perfidies.

Some few of us have opposed Trump from the very start, eyes and ears wide open, no delusional wishful thinking about him, and totally appalled at those who have been invited into positions of power and influence within the GOP. It's become an extremist religion, a cult, all really about power and money, abandoning actual conservative principles at the daily whim of a single "strong man".

A fan is quite correct to call out waffle's obvious MAGA behaviors as consistent with what the MAGA powers are trying to feed them and get them to spread. Misinformation and disinformation.

For Brooklyn, yes, Hannity is a proven, shameless liar. And he's shamefully willing to be the tool of anger and disgusting personal attacks, including those he knows are false...anger and meanness is the point for his audience. Trump has taught them that's what should be encouraged and gets applause.

Power and money.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:49 am The guy wanted a public square:

https://www.threads.net/@national_stori ... Myd3krB4tw
He wants to own the square, not make it public.
Typical Lax Dad

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:49 am The guy wanted a public square:

https://www.threads.net/@national_stori ... Myd3krB4tw
He wants to own the square, not make it public.
He is denying King his first amendment right.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Media shaping the opinion favorably towards their candidate: https://x.com/TimMurtaugh/status/1824747689570947187

Two images in tweet
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:25 pm Media shaping the opinion favorably towards their candidate: https://x.com/TimMurtaugh/status/1824747689570947187

Two images in tweet
We asked for this in media, my man. You get what you click for.......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:25 pm Media shaping the opinion favorably towards their candidate: https://x.com/TimMurtaugh/status/1824747689570947187

Two images in tweet
We asked for this in media, my man. You get what you click for.......
Did we ask for it or was it crammed down our throat? I thought we held journalism to a neutral standard...it seems just because an article comes from CNBC or TWP or NYT, we should not be able to discern their inherent intent.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Two images in tweet
I think this is called "whining."

Return to “POLITICS”