Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
overhand

Re: Navy 2019

Post by overhand »

I don’t want to cause a major stir on this thread...however I heard a name linked to the Navy coaching search this morning that blew me away...I would have to imagine that IF this man is interviewing or discussing the possibility, many Navy fans would be excited...I am curious to see if this thing gets legs and will post once I hear something more concrete...my apologies for not being willing to share the name just yet....can say at this point that it’s a current, big-time D1 coach...no Navy experience or background....
Bravo 3

Post by Bravo 3 »

Overhand .....,,,vipers dead , great balls of fire ! 8-)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

overhand wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 pm I don’t want to cause a major stir on this thread...however I heard a name linked to the Navy coaching search this morning that blew me away...I would have to imagine that IF this man is interviewing or discussing the possibility, many Navy fans would be excited...I am curious to see if this thing gets legs and will post once I hear something more concrete...my apologies for not being willing to share the name just yet....can say at this point that it’s a current, big-time D1 coach...no Navy experience or background....
That rules out Starsia.

See, I’ve been predicting it for a few years.

Get ready to PARTY. And see Belichick.
overhand

Post by overhand »

Sorry Wombat not Petro...that wouldn’t have been all that shocking...
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I’m not in the running either.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hmm. Bryant.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

overhand wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 pm I don’t want to cause a major stir on this thread...however I heard a name linked to the Navy coaching search this morning that blew me away...I would have to imagine that IF this man is interviewing or discussing the possibility, many Navy fans would be excited...I am curious to see if this thing gets legs and will post once I hear something more concrete...my apologies for not being willing to share the name just yet....can say at this point that it’s a current, big-time D1 coach...no Navy experience or background....
Given some of the news coming out of Maryland today, I want so hard to believe the last sentence of your post.

But, man...such a tease!!! :D :D :D :D
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:28 pm Hmm. Bryant.
That would be interesting. Bryant's president announced his retirement effective the end of next school year. He brought Press to campus and has been really supportive. Maybe the time is right. Press's kids are out of college now. He's a good friggin' dude.
overhand

Post by overhand »

Mike Pressler is the man....but no not him...
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:41 pm
That rules out Starsia.

See, I’ve been predicting it for a few years.

Get ready to PARTY. And see Belichick.
overhand wrote» Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 pm
Sorry Wombat not Petro...that wouldn’t have been all that shocking...
:shock: :o :)

jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

Bill Tierney!?!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

If the big name post at the top of the page has any merit...it is exactly why (with all due respect) RW does not have a shot at this job. They want a big fish.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

jerzyjoe81 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 am Bill Tierney!?!
That was my second guess! -- he may be tired of the thin air (and other stuff in the air) in Denver. :shock: I'll stick with Dino for now.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Well, that post could be performance art. Stir people up and watch them go nuts.

But, so far, we’ve eliminated Starsia, Pressler and Petro.

What really big names are left?

Desko
Tierney
Danowski

Desko - nah, don’t see that. He’s built for CNY winters.

Tierney - that would be a huge surprise. Why come to Annapolis, which is northeast of DC and thus in a potential nuclear fallout zone? I’d stay in Denver, sufficiently north of NORAD. Unless Tierney has grown tired of those funny weed-smoking Coloradans.

Danowski - that’s intriguing. Go to Navy, and open up Duke for son Matt to take over. That’s really fascinating and actually plausible.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Exactly. WOMBATMAN on target once again! :)

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

laxxygilmore wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:15 am Exactly. WOMBATMAN on target once again! :)

Woot! Funtime!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Pressler is a lifer at Bryant!
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

You didn't want to cause a major stir, but you sure did! :) Is their an IF involved? While you are hesitant to disclose the name, would you care to expand on why you think that he would move since he doesn't have any ties to USNA, i.e. experience of background? A couple of reasons why he would be interested? Money is probably one, but what would make him give up his current big-time platform?

Based on your comment of current, big-time coach with no USNA ties, I will adjust the poll and eliminate some of the longer shots, starting with Coon. Anyone have any suggestions? Tillman, Toomey, Birsner, Reppert, Miles, Phipps, Corrado, and Wellner wouldn't fit the profile. I think that Dino, Starsia, Pressler, Tierney, and Desko were somewhat eliminated.

Maybe Danowski (is he Dino?) as a transition to retirement move but is there a guarantee that his son would take over? You have to think that Kevin Cassese and Dan Chemotti would be interested in coaching at their alma mater.

What about Greg Canella, Jon Torpey or Joe Amplo? Big time enough? Or Kevin Warne?
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If a coach considers himself underpaid, no matter where he is, he may well want to interview at a place that's known to throw around big bucks, just to bring that offer back to his current employer, even if he has no actual interest in the new job ...
naptownshark

Post by naptownshark »

Just my own 2 cents here. I agree with Muleski. Talking with some people who are close to the academy and situation currently, it seems like this is a post RM situation all over again.

Chet wants to make a splash and show his ego to pickup who he believes is the best coach. Makes sense right? It does to me besides the fact that he has not/will not consult major alumni donors or people in the lacrosse world who know what they are talking about. Tillman and Toomey already saying no at 500k a pop is a bad situation for Navy Lacrosse to be in. Tillman was his obvious first choice (as he should be, tons of final fours and a championship), he said no, so what now?

Rumors are he asked the Maryland AD for Tillman ( AND TILLMAN ONLY) he wasn't interested in Reppert from what I've been told. It doesn't seem like he has many cards left to play here. This job isn't as coveted as it once was even with the high pay. There is too much to juggle with a SA for someone who hasn't been around it ever to deal with. Coach Ken has been saying it for years. Other programs, including other SA's like the one up north, have rapidly increased facilities and programs for their athletes. Look what has happened, they get good athletes and are winning. Navy on the other hand? Almost no improvements year after year (AKA Budget crisis started by the top dog, CHET!)

The situation is starting to worry me. You have a guy like RW, would be a first time hc, but has experience at the academy and has done a great job recruiting and building a defense (tough in 2019 though with a young one). I believe at a place like Navy, those things are more important than X/O's. I've heard he's being contacted by every open job out there at the moment. So what if he takes one of those? Is chet just banking on RW being there in case one of "his guys" doesn't work out? Are we just going to have another RS episode where the entire alumni base is angry/upset about having yet another coach they don't want there? Would a guy like Tierney, Amplo, Torpey, etc take the job not knowing anything about SA's or coaching at one?

Long post but lots of questions that no one will really know until something is decided. This is a crazy game of limbo we're playing. Here's to hoping Chet picks out the RIGHT guy for the job for 2020 and beyond!

Go NAVY!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”