D3 Mens Lacrosse
callaxdad

Re: 2025 Mustang Classic

Post by callaxdad »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:56 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:54 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:21 pm
callaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:03 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:31 pm Thanks for posting, always a wonderful event. Not going to hazard a guess for most of them and kudos for trying but not only will Tufts be number 1 in the pre-season ranking, they would be unanimous if there was a panel ranking. They return essentially everything. That of course doesn’t mean they will win but they will be HEAVY favorites to start the year. It is a shame that they play Hamilton when they will see them again in conference, would be nice to get to play someone new. Gettysburg has a long way to go to justify a top 10 ranking. Not sure what St. Lawrence brings back but of these teams, they finished ahead of all but Tufts and RIT, suspect they will be well above 14.
The Hamilton game at the Mustang Classic will count as their NESCAC regular season game.
True but, as with the past year, they will possibly play then again in NESCAC tourney and regardless they are a team they play every year. Tournaments like this are a great chance to play someone new.
i looked at past mustang classics. there are many repeat games. maybe i am a little bitter that York was snubbed after hammering Stevenson last season, but this tourney has so much more potential. looks like each year, there is at least one rematch from the previous season, many times two rematches. Tufts is traveling 6 hrs to play the same two teams they played last year. and i wouldn’t be shocked to see tufts go 0-2
You wouldn't be shocked if Tufts goes 0-2?? RIT is of course fantastic and can beat anyone, include half of the D1 teams, on any given day. Tufts did indeed lose a game to Hamilton last year and the other was not a blowout (further evidence of absurdly good and deep the NESCAC is) but man, Tufts goes into the season this year probably with the best team in their history. I think they throttle the Continentals.
I saw both of the Hamilton and RIT games last year. Tufts was 1-1 against both. Hamilton is a very hard nosed, gritty team. Barely lost to and barely beat Tufts, a couple good, exciting lax games. RIT is, well, RIT. Great players, tremendous coaching....as a Tufts guy, they scare the crap out of me! That said, a team that was highly ranked all season who won the Natty and brings back virtually every starter is the no brainer, or as my kids would say, Duh, choice for preseason #1 ranked team. I think even my buddy would agree with that assertion!! Can't believe we're still 6 months away!! Roll Bos!!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:34 pm
jerk wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:00 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:31 pm Thanks for posting, always a wonderful event. Not going to hazard a guess for most of them and kudos for trying but not only will Tufts be number 1 in the pre-season ranking, they would be unanimous if there was a panel ranking. They return essentially everything. That of course doesn’t mean they will win but they will be HEAVY favorites to start the year. It is a shame that they play Hamilton when they will see them again in conference, would be nice to get to play someone new. Gettysburg has a long way to go to justify a top 10 ranking. Not sure what St. Lawrence brings back but of these teams, they finished ahead of all but Tufts and RIT, suspect they will be well above 14.
The Hamilton game at the Mustang Classic will count as their NESCAC regular season game.
True but, as with the past year, they will possibly play then again in NESCAC tourney and regardless they are a team they play every year. Tournaments like this are a great chance to play someone new.
i looked at past mustang classics. there are many repeat games. maybe i am a little bitter that York was snubbed after hammering Stevenson last season, but this tourney has so much more potential. looks like each year, there is at least one rematch from the previous season, many times two rematches. Tufts is traveling 6 hrs to play the same two teams they played last year. and i wouldn’t be shocked to see tufts go 0-2
You wouldn't be shocked if Tufts goes 0-2?? RIT is of course fantastic and can beat anyone, include half of the D1 teams, on any given day. Tufts did indeed lose a game to Hamilton last year and the other was not a blowout (further evidence of absurdly good and deep the NESCAC is) but man, Tufts goes into the season this year probably with the best team in their history. I think they throttle the Continentals.
Of the 4 tufts championship teams, last years was arguably its least talented roster to win it all. They are immensely talented, they won on memorial day weekend, but man those 2014 and 2015 teams were something else
Tufts should send a thank you letter to W&L.
Whatever Dude. People on the DIII forum last year on the Salisbury page, C2C (or whatever the f*** it's called) page, the rankings page and interlopers on the Nescac page couldn't stop ejaculating over what a great coach Berkman is, that he can do no wrong, blah, blah, blah. If he was such a great coach he would have had his team ready to play v a tough W&L team. Instead his schedule was not the toughest and it hurt him IMO. Last year was a great coaching job by Coach D of Tufts, and not that they wanted to lose, but the RIT and Hammy losses in my view really helped that team grow. ALL those kids are back and they know what it takes.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laj, I'll take Tufts and give you 5:1 odds they don't go 0-2 at the Mustang Classic!! Bet?!! I'll even give you 2:1 odds and take the Bos to go 2-0, whaddya say? :D :?:
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Of the 4 tufts championship teams, last years was arguably its least talented roster to win it all. They are immensely talented, they won on memorial day weekend, but man those 2014 and 2015 teams were something else
typed with bitter beer face obviously!!!! haha!!!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Spoken like a true Mass hole (jerk :lol: :lol: )!!!
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

callaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:19 pm
Laj, I'll take Tufts and give you 5:1 odds they don't go 0-2 at the Mustang Classic!! Bet?!! I'll even give you 2:1 odds and take the Bos to go 2-0, whaddya say? :D :?:
not sure why everyone took offense to this comment. i literally just said tufts is the top team. both games they play will be tough. they travel 6 hrs to play two games in 24 hrs. and will have a target on their back. they will be favored, but as i said, i wouldnt be surprised to see an upset or two. considering both games were close last year, it really wouldn’t be shocking to see similar results.

anyone going 2-0 at the classic will need some breaks. anyone going 0-2 will have some bad luck.
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:53 am tough to rank anyone before the season starts. but

Tufts should be #1
RIT and Salisbury don’t look to have lost much, they should still be up top

Dickinson and CNU both lost a lot, and will have to replace with younger players that dont have much time. could see a drop off
W&L and Lynchburgh should be at least as good as last year

gettysburg was young last year. they could make some noise this year.

St Lawrence lost its best player. the drop to mid teens seems reasonable

stevenson still needs to beat a ranked team when not playing at home, prime time, in the mustang classic.

hamilton still has a lot to prove
DC did not lose a lot. This senior class is the most acclaimed class ever. That being said, RIT and W&L back to back will be a tall task. Wish that was the schedule last year for a change of opposition venue.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:16 pm
Whatever Dude. People on the DIII forum last year on the Salisbury page, C2C (or whatever the f*** it's called) page, the rankings page and interlopers on the Nescac page couldn't stop ejaculating over what a great coach Berkman is, that he can do no wrong, blah, blah, blah. If he was such a great coach he would have had his team ready to play v a tough W&L team. Instead his schedule was not the toughest and it hurt him IMO. Last year was a great coaching job by Coach D of Tufts, and not that they wanted to lose, but the RIT and Hammy losses in my view really helped that team grow. ALL those kids are back and they know what it takes.
Pretty ballsy statement about Berkman considering the prior year he spanked the #1 Jumbos in Philly. Go away troll
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Motorman wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:55 pm
Pretty ballsy statement about Berkman considering the prior year he spanked the #1 Jumbos in Philly. Go away troll
don’t be tough on the kid. probably just started following tufts last year. his response sounds like someone that doesn’t really follow lax.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

And the year before the Jumbos spanked them. Why don't you spend a cpl seasons following DIII and then come back and join the discussion?
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

The losses that Tufts had last year were a blessing and if you look at the other Tufts championship teams, they had at least one loss. Losses help deflate the college kids egos. The worst thing that happened to Tufts in 2023 was going undefeated. They did not have that humbling game where they realize that if you don't show up and make horrible mistakes that you will get slaughtered by tops teams. If Salisbury would have lost at the end of the regular season to W&L, there would be a good chance that they would have the trophy. In any case, at the end of the day, you need to make the tournament and play your best lax in May.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:47 am
And the year before the Jumbos spanked them. Why don't you spend a cpl seasons following DIII and then come back and join the discussion?
Unknown Participant I was a math major, minored in history. Let us know if you can figure out this number riddle?

callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:28 pm
callaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:19 pm
not sure why everyone took offense to this comment. i literally just said tufts is the top team. both games they play will be tough. they travel 6 hrs to play two games in 24 hrs. and will have a target on their back. they will be favored, but as i said, i wouldnt be surprised to see an upset or two. considering both games were close last year, it really wouldn’t be shocking to see similar results.

anyone going 2-0 at the classic will need some breaks. anyone going 0-2 will have some bad luck.
No offense taken Laj, you said you wouldn’t be surprised to see Tufts go 0-2. I simply offered a wager, is all. With some pretty good odds as well. You can either accept or decline, I will not be offended either way! What says you?!
Last edited by callaxdad on Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Motorman wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:05 pm
Unknown Participant I was a math major, minored in history. Let us know if you can figure out this number riddle?

Hmmmmm, let’s see, 13 championships in 35 seasons and 641 total career wins? Maybe 29 conference championships?

With regards to last year‘s Championship, Tufts won 12-11 in the last 3 quarters….. Unfortunately they spotted them a 6 nothing lead after 1!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

callaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:21 pm
Not bitter. No dogs in this fight. Not arguing Berkman's record or their readiness to play W&L.

Just speaking the truth that Tufts benefitted greatly from W&L's efforts.

That W&L upset was a shot in the arm for Tufts. In a bunch of ways. It's the big upset anyone competing for a championship (in any sport) hopes they get in the bracket.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:38 pm

Hmmmmm, let’s see, 13 championships in 35 seasons and 641 total career wins? Maybe 29 conference championships?

With regards to last year‘s Championship, Tufts won 12-11 in the last 3 quarters….. Unfortunately they spotted them a 6 nothing lead after 1!
13 National titles
641 wins
35 straight playoffs
29 quarterfinals
Plus
20 finals in 36 years
300+ all Americans
List goes on forever
He doesn’t will all of them but it’s insane what the coach has done in college lacrosse. Finds a why to be there every year.
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

Feel bad for Hamilton and Tufts who are going all the way to maryland to play a league game. Reminds me of Middlebury traveling all the way to Denison back in 2018 to play one game against the big red in ohio. Doesnt sound like a fun spring break
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:57 pm
callaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:21 pm
Not bitter. No dogs in this fight. Not arguing Berkman's record or their readiness to play W&L.

Just speaking the truth that Tufts benefitted greatly from W&L's efforts.

That W&L upset was a shot in the arm for Tufts. In a bunch of ways. It's the big upset anyone competing for a championship (in any sport) hopes they get in the bracket.
OK, fair enough, mea culpa re bitter beer. And yes, given the choice, anyone would take W&L as opposed to Salisbury in the Semi's. No brainer. Clearly an upset that advantaged Tufts. To say they "benefitted greatly", I'm not sure I'd go that far. And, clearly an opinion, which you're entitled to (on a silly lacrosse forum which some take waaaay too seriously IMO!! :lol: ) as opposed to "truth". Splitting hairs perhaps. In any event, let me tell you a truth, I can assure you the Tufts boys were looking forward to, and fully expected, a rematch against Salisbury after a disappointing game the year before in Philly. Speaking of bitter, that one was. If those 2 teams played 10 times in '23, Tufts wins 7 IMO. But, Salisbury was victorious. Tufts lost close to 400 points from their attack, lost to Hamilton at home in the 'CAC playoffs and bounced back to win the Natty. There were a lot of Jumbo haters who were gleeful last year, until they weren't!! Haha. So they try to diminish Tufts championship any way they can. Not saying you were one of them but there was a lot of sh!t slung towards Tufts. As the saying goes, he who laughs last laughs best (or the loudest!). Anyway, trying to keep amused until Feb, 6 freakin months!!
Last edited by callaxdad on Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Motorman wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:29 pm
callaxdad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:38 pm

13 National titles
641 wins
35 straight playoffs
29 quarterfinals
Plus
20 finals in 36 years
300+ all Americans
List goes on forever
He doesn’t will all of them but it’s insane what the coach has done in college lacrosse. Finds a why to be there every year.
Agreed, 1,000%!! Great coach, storied lacrosse program (because of Coach Berkman!!)
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Prepschoolkid wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:40 pm Feel bad for Hamilton and Tufts who are going all the way to maryland to play a league game. Reminds me of Middlebury traveling all the way to Denison back in 2018 to play one game against the big red in ohio. Doesnt sound like a fun spring break
Fair point. Personally I'd rather go to Baltimore than Hamilton N.Y. but that's just my preference! BTW, this isn't Tufts spring break. Their spring break trip this year is to Newport News to play CNU. That should be a fun one to watch!
Last edited by callaxdad on Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”