Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: Israel and the West Bank Settlements Issue

Post by Kismet »

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/01/worl ... -bomb.html

NYT report that Hamas leader killed in Tehran was result of a bomb smuggled Into Tehran guesthouse months ago that was then remotely detonated. An explosive device hidden in a heavily guarded complex where Ismail Haniyeh was known to stay in Iran was what killed him,
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:42 am https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/01/worl ... -bomb.html

NYT report that Hamas leader killed in Tehran was result of a bomb smuggled Into Tehran guesthouse months ago that was then remotely detonated. An explosive device hidden in a heavily guarded complex where Ismail Haniyeh was known to stay in Iran was what killed him,
While I'm sure that is a possibility one thing is for sure. The Israeli government isn't saying anything to anyone if they did or didn't have any responsibility. Speculation will be for other people to banty about.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.navytimes.com/breaking-news ... %22%3A5%7D

"US to boost military presence in Middle East amid growing tensions. The Pentagon is ordering the Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier strike group to the Middle East to replace the Theodore Roosevelt carrier strike group. The U.S. Defense Department will move a fighter jet squadron to the Middle East and maintain an aircraft carrier in the region, the Pentagon said Friday, as President Joe Biden made good on his promise to beef up the American military presence to help defend Israel from possible attacks by Iran and its proxies and safeguard U.S. troops.

In a statement, the department said Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin also ordered additional ballistic missile defense-capable cruisers and destroyers to the European and Middle East regions and is taking steps to send more land-based ballistic missile defense weapons there."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Kismet wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:14 pm https://www.navytimes.com/breaking-news ... %22%3A5%7D

"US to boost military presence in Middle East amid growing tensions. The Pentagon is ordering the Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier strike group to the Middle East to replace the Theodore Roosevelt carrier strike group. The U.S. Defense Department will move a fighter jet squadron to the Middle East and maintain an aircraft carrier in the region, the Pentagon said Friday, as President Joe Biden made good on his promise to beef up the American military presence to help defend Israel from possible attacks by Iran and its proxies and safeguard U.S. troops.

In a statement, the department said Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin also ordered additional ballistic missile defense-capable cruisers and destroyers to the European and Middle East regions and is taking steps to send more land-based ballistic missile defense weapons there."
So, reminds me of a little twerp who starts some on the playground and then goes and hides behind his protector.

Remind me again why the US is acting in the role of Israel's "protector?" The US took a wrong turn after Eisenhower and never recovered.

"President Eisenhower to Prime Minister Ben-Gurion
November 7, 1956:
Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

As you know, the General Assembly of the United Nations has arranged a cease-fire in Egypt to which Egypt, France, the United Kingdom and Israel have agreed. There is being dispatched to Egypt a United Nations force in accordance with pertinent resolutions of the General Assembly. That body has urged that all other foreign forces be withdrawn from Egyptian territory, and specifically, that Israeli forces be withdrawn to the General Armistice line. The resolution covering the cease-fire and withdrawal was introduced by the United States and received the overwhelming vote of the Assembly.

Statements attributed to your Government to the effect that Israel does not intend to withdraw from Egyptian territory, as requested by the United Nations, have been called to my attention. I must say frankly, Mr. Prime Minister, that the United States views these reports, if true, with deep concern. Any such decision by the Government of Israel would seriously undermine the urgent efforts being made by the United Nations to restore peace in the Middle East, and could not but bring about the condemnation of Israel as a violator of the principles as well as the directives of the United Nations.

It is our belief that as a matter of highest priority peace should be restored and foreign troops, except for United Nations forces, withdrawn from Egypt, after which new and energetic steps should be undertaken within the framework of the United Nations to solve the basic problems which have given rise to the present difficulty. The United States has tabled in the General Assembly two resolutions designed to accomplish the latter purposes, and hopes that they will be acted upon favorably as soon as the present emergency has been dealt with.

I need not assure you of the deep interest which the United States has in your country, nor recall the various elements of our policy of support to Israel in so many ways. It is in this context that I urge you to comply with the resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly dealing with the current crisis and to make your decision known immediately. It would be a matter of the greatest regret to all my countrymen if Israeli policy on a matter of such grave concern to the world should in any way impair the friendly cooperation between our two countries.

With best wishes,

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower"

And to be crystal clear, this is a criticism of Israel. Anyone wants to call that anti-semitism, f 'em. I know what the words mean, and a full-court press to redefine words I've used for decades means little to me. Take that gaslighting elsewhere.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Kismet

Re: Israel and West Bank Settlements

Post by Kismet »

SECDEF deploys USS Georgia (SSGN-729) to the Middle East from Western Med. Unusual to disclose location of submarines unless your're trying to send a message. Also accelerates USS Abraham Lincoln battle group deployment from the Pacific to the Middle East. Departed Guam on August 8 - the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group consists of USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), embarked staffs of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) Three and Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 21, squadrons of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) Nine, USS O’Kane (DDG 77), USS Frank E. Petersen Jr. (DDG 121), and USS Spruance (DDG 111) of DESRON 21.

CVW-9 consists of an F-35C squadron, the “Black Knights” of Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 314; three F/A-18E/F Super Hornet squadrons, the “Tophatters” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 14; “Black Aces” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 41, the “Vigilantes” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 151; “Wizards” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 133, operating the EA-18G Growler; “Wallbangers” of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 117, operating the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye; “Chargers” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 14 operating the MH-60S Sea Hawk; and “Raptors” of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 71, operating the MH-60R Sea Hawk.

Also betting that the Roosevelt Strike Group currently in the Arabian Sea won't depart for home immediately upon the arrival of the Lincoln Strike Group
old salt

Post by old salt »

Unlike SSBN's, it's not uncommon to disclose the general location of SSGN's. They are an awesome arsenal of conventional Tomahawk cruise missiles.
Their presence adds significantly to deterrence, as does the uncertainty of the location of the SSBN boomers.

If the TR CSG sticks around & overlaps with the arriving Linocoln CSG, it will be the most powerful naval armada in modern history.
It would constitute 2 CVN's with full air wings & 13 Aegis firing cruisers & destroyers, all positioned to intercept missiles & drones headed for Israel & the Red Sea.

The USAF F-22's just arriving + the Lincoln's F-35's are well suited to attack anywhere in Iran, undetected & to take out air defenses for other strike aircraft.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:31 am Unlike SSBN's, it's not uncommon to disclose the general location of SSGN's. They are an awesome arsenal of conventional Tomahawk cruise missiles.
Their presence adds significantly to deterrence, as does the uncertainty of the location of the SSBN boomers.

If the TR CSG sticks around & overlaps with the arriving Linocoln CSG, it will be the most powerful naval armada in modern history.
It would constitute 2 CVN's with full air wings & 13 Aegis firing cruisers & destroyers, all positioned to intercept missiles & drones headed for Israel & the Red Sea.

The USAF F-22's just arriving + the Lincoln's F-35's are well suited to attack anywhere in Iran, undetected & to take out air defenses for other strike aircraft.
Any idea where the F-22 are headed?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:00 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:31 am Unlike SSBN's, it's not uncommon to disclose the general location of SSGN's. They are an awesome arsenal of conventional Tomahawk cruise missiles.

I'd guess -- take out air defenses, take out nuc weps RDTE sites, or downtown Tehran.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:20 pm

I'd guess -- take out air defenses, take out nuc weps RDTE sites, or downtown Tehran.
Assuming they are land-based - Where would they be based from in the region?
Turkey?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:22 pm
Kismet wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:14 pm https://www.navytimes.com/breaking-news ... %22%3A5%7D

So, reminds me of a little twerp who starts some on the playground and then goes and hides behind his protector.

Remind me again why the US is acting in the role of Israel's "protector?" The US took a wrong turn after Eisenhower and never recovered.

"President Eisenhower to Prime Minister Ben-Gurion
November 7, 1956:
Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

As you know, the General Assembly of the United Nations has arranged a cease-fire in Egypt to which Egypt, France, the United Kingdom and Israel have agreed. There is being dispatched to Egypt a United Nations force in accordance with pertinent resolutions of the General Assembly. That body has urged that all other foreign forces be withdrawn from Egyptian territory, and specifically, that Israeli forces be withdrawn to the General Armistice line. The resolution covering the cease-fire and withdrawal was introduced by the United States and received the overwhelming vote of the Assembly.

Statements attributed to your Government to the effect that Israel does not intend to withdraw from Egyptian territory, as requested by the United Nations, have been called to my attention. I must say frankly, Mr. Prime Minister, that the United States views these reports, if true, with deep concern. Any such decision by the Government of Israel would seriously undermine the urgent efforts being made by the United Nations to restore peace in the Middle East, and could not but bring about the condemnation of Israel as a violator of the principles as well as the directives of the United Nations.

It is our belief that as a matter of highest priority peace should be restored and foreign troops, except for United Nations forces, withdrawn from Egypt, after which new and energetic steps should be undertaken within the framework of the United Nations to solve the basic problems which have given rise to the present difficulty. The United States has tabled in the General Assembly two resolutions designed to accomplish the latter purposes, and hopes that they will be acted upon favorably as soon as the present emergency has been dealt with.

I need not assure you of the deep interest which the United States has in your country, nor recall the various elements of our policy of support to Israel in so many ways. It is in this context that I urge you to comply with the resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly dealing with the current crisis and to make your decision known immediately. It would be a matter of the greatest regret to all my countrymen if Israeli policy on a matter of such grave concern to the world should in any way impair the friendly cooperation between our two countries.

With best wishes,

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower"

And to be crystal clear, this is a criticism of Israel. Anyone wants to call that anti-semitism, f 'em. I know what the words mean, and a full-court press to redefine words I've used for decades means little to me. Take that gaslighting elsewhere.
+100
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:23 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:20 pm

Assuming they are land-based - Where would they be based from in the region?
Turkey?
I'm guessing Qatar. Big US air base there. F-22's have been there before.
https://defencesecurityasia.com/en/vide ... e_vignette
Could be any of numerous ME bases, depending on target location & host nation sensitivities.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone heard anything about how many / the state of the remaining hostages? Has Hamas offered video feed, pictures?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Iran is signaling they are willing to negotiate with the US over their nuclear program. Some of the leaders who worked the 2015 deal blown up by Orange Duce, have been restored to power.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Piss up a rope, Bibi. How’s that discussion work for you? Pointed enough?

““Although Filant’s role is akin to a security or law enforcement officer, he has engaged in malign activities outside the scope of his authority,” Miller said.

“In February 2024, he led a group of armed settlers to set up roadblocks and conduct patrols to pursue and attack Palestinians in their lands and forcefully expel them from their lands.”

Netanyahu’s office issued a terse and critical response on Wednesday night, saying: “Israel views with utmost severity the imposition of sanctions on citizens of Israel. The issue is in a pointed discussion with the US.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... -west-bank

Fcuking thugs.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:12 pm Iran is signaling they are willing to negotiate with the US over their nuclear program. Some of the leaders who worked the 2015 deal blown up by Orange Duce, have been restored to power.
As I stated at the time, this tells you how bad US Intel is when it comes to Iran. We were told Iran was MONTHS from getting the bomb.

That was almost ten freaking years ago. Whoops. Hard to make diplomatic choices when we're that out of whack with intel. They didn't miss the target, or the tree...they missed the whole forest.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:38 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:12 pm Iran is signaling they are willing to negotiate with the US over their nuclear program. Some of the leaders who worked the 2015 deal blown up by Orange Duce, have been restored to power.
As I stated at the time, this tells you how bad US Intel is when it comes to Iran. We were told Iran was MONTHS from getting the bomb.

That was almost ten freaking years ago. Whoops. Hard to make diplomatic choices when we're that out of whack with intel. They didn't miss the target, or the tree...they missed the whole forest.
hmmm, you understand that's not what it means?

The shortening of time estimated to bomb is the time it would take to produce a weapon, IF/WHEN they decide to produce that weapon.

It's shortened by a number of things, but most notably sufficiently refined material. That's a separate decision as to whether to refine it or not, but it needn't mean a bomb will actually be produced. Same for other components.

I get it that right wing troglodytes don't understand, but you should, right?
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:45 pm

The shortening of time estimated to bomb is the time it would take to produce a weapon, IF/WHEN they decide to produce that weapon.

It's shortened by a number of things, but most notably sufficiently refined material. That's a separate decision as to whether to refine it or not, but it needn't mean a bomb will actually be produced. Same for other components.

What do you mean by "It"?

All I'm reminding folks is that we were told by US intel back in 2015 that Iran was "months" from going live with a bomb. We weren't told we were months from some refinement goal. We were told they were months from having a live bomb....ready to go.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All I'm reminding folks is that we were told by US intel back in 2015 that Iran was "months" from going live with a bomb. We weren't told we were months from some refinement goal. We were told they were months from having a live bomb....ready to go.
yes, and the time has shortened...what we were NOT told is that they had decided to actually produce a bomb...had they made that decision 10 years ago it would have happened roughly as intel said was the distance to a bomb.

They've been more than capable of actually producing the bomb.

But they clearly decided that simply having the capacity was an effective threat. And possibly also considered that actually producing one could provide an excuse for an Israeli preemptive strike on that facility.

But they've been inching closer so as to continue to posture the potential.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:58 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:49 pm

yes, and the time has shortened...what we were NOT told is that they had decided to actually produce a bomb...had they made that decision 10 years ago it would have happened roughly as intel said was the distance to a bomb.

They've been more than capable of actually producing the bomb.

But they clearly decided that simply having the capacity was an effective threat. And possibly also considered that actually producing one could provide an excuse for an Israeli preemptive strike on that facility.

But they've been inching closer so as to continue to posture the potential.
Any estimate to how long it would take Japan to "go" nuclear, i.e. produce a weapon including delivery vehicle once they decided to do it? My bet is a few hours -- I wager they have a series of components ready for final assembly. The Fukushima disaster demonstrated they had a hell of lot of fissile or near fissile material at hand. China should be scared shite less. Looking like the non-proliferation effort might be waning.

Return to “POLITICS”