Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
courtdog

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by courtdog »

I think JHU will be good again next year even with the loss of Crawley. I'll be interested to see what kind of offense PM puts in place. Will it be the same he had at Cornell or something all new
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

IL gets out an article on the House settlement
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 6-54491116

One of the more useful IL articles in quite some time - assuming its accurate
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Saw this posted by Big Ten Lacrosse on X:
Run It 🔙
@bigten goalies won't want to hear this, but Russell Melendez has announced that he'll be back for @jhumenslacrosse next year.

If someone previously posted, I apologize. Either way, great news IMO.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Been watching a bit of the Olympics...
Break dancing , skate board , hand ball( like we played in the fourth grade , remember ? ) and Snoop Dogg( OMG ).
But no lacrosse...
But at least the Jays are the reigning Olympic lacrosse champions. :P
Alvinandthechipmunks

Post by Alvinandthechipmunks »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:22 pm Been watching a bit of the Olympics...
Break dancing , skate board , hand ball( like we played in the fourth grade , remember ? ) and Snoop Dogg( OMG ).
But no lacrosse...
But at least the Jays are the reigning Olympic lacrosse champions. :P
Probably the wrong thread (but definitely the most active), curious do they know what will happen with the haudenosaunee team in terms of their participation in 2028?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:20 pm IL gets out an article on the House settlement
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 6-54491116

One of the more useful IL articles in quite some time - assuming its accurate
1. The article states big ten schools are subject to this settlement. It also says that because Hopkins only has 1 d1 sport and it's non revenue it's not subjected to any of this. So is Hopkins going to respond to this as it would have as an independent doing whatever it wants or as a member of the big ten lacrosse conference doing what it decides as part of the conference?

2. Not clear when/if any of this goes into force. I don't follow recruiting but I'm assuming PM/JK/BK are operating under the old rules until they're told differently.

3. It's really clear from this that there are big time pow wows (if they haven't already started) coming between Hopkins legal office/admissions/daniels office/fundraising/the ad/the mens and womens lacrosse coaches/the boosters about all of this. Can they raise the $ for more scholarships/NIL? Do they want the slashed roster sizes? Does admissions continue to want these bloated roster sizes? Is NIL or more scholarship $ a bigger edge for recruiting? Are the other big ten programs who have different $ models going to want something different here than Hopkins? Is Hopkins better off just going back to being an Independent and doing whatever it wants and maintaining the freedom and flexibility to make whatever adjustments it wants year to year depending on what other programs in the sport are doing to maximize competitiveness? Milliman comes from an Ivy League background but the womens coach comes from a Big Ten/Old Pac 12 power conference background where athletics have a much different level of support and approach.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

On the surface - your questions are valid and reasonable. It will take some time for all this to shake out but I think an overriding principle here is lacrosse is one of many niche sports that they had to deal with because simply - it's there - but I think the over-riding premise of the article will be true - the impacts to lacrosse are more likely to be small. As I think I said before I don't pretend to understand alot of this but it is logical IMO to think Hopkins is not going to go off on its own and do anything earth shattering - funding scholarships takes alot of money - so unless the BIG does something Hopkins can't live with - Hopkins will likely go along and get along.

Yes - I am sure there will be meetings - the university's administration will have to be brought up to accurate speed. One might again logically think smaller lacrosse roster sizes are appealing to folks on those sides of the ledger. However, if the rest of the landscape keeps their roster sizes the way they are - I do not think an extra couple handfuls of male and female lacrosse players are going to affect Daniels' supposed beloved rankings and frankly Daniels has always had the power to handcuff roster sizes if he wanted to. 10 seasons ago - the 2015 roster had 52 names on it - and Hopkins has lived in the mid-high 50's more often than not. Petro's last two recruiting classes originally had 18 names on each - the freshmen class last season was that big as well. If Daniels had truly wanted to ax some lacrosse players in favor of some class valedictorians with GPAs and SATs in the stratosphere - he didn't need the House settlement to do it.

Maybe I am wrong but for lacrosse I see the stereotypical movie personna of the New York street cop tapping his billy club on the pavement telling folks "Move along Johnny Move along Nothing to see here"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:41 am On the surface - your questions are valid and reasonable. It will take some time for all this to shake out but I think an overriding principle here is lacrosse is one of many niche sports that they had to deal with because simply - it's there - but I think the over-riding premise of the article will be true - the impacts to lacrosse are more likely to be small. As I think I said before I don't pretend to understand alot of this but it is logical IMO to think Hopkins is not going to go off on its own and do anything earth shattering - funding scholarships takes alot of money - so unless the BIG does something Hopkins can't live with - Hopkins will likely go along and get along.

Yes - I am sure there will be meetings - the university's administration will have to be brought up to accurate speed. One might again logically think smaller lacrosse roster sizes are appealing to folks on those sides of the ledger. However, if the rest of the landscape keeps their roster sizes the way they are - I do not think an extra couple handfuls of male and female lacrosse players are going to affect Daniels' supposed beloved rankings and frankly Daniels has always had the power to handcuff roster sizes if he wanted to. 10 seasons ago - the 2015 roster had 52 names on it - and Hopkins has lived in the mid-high 50's more often than not. Petro's last two recruiting classes originally had 18 names on each - the freshmen class last season was that big as well. If Daniels had truly wanted to ax some lacrosse players in favor of some class valedictorians with GPAs and SATs in the stratosphere - he didn't need the House settlement to do it.

Maybe I am wrong but for lacrosse I see the stereotypical movie personna of the New York street cop tapping his billy club on the pavement telling folks "Move along Johnny Move along Nothing to see here"
Yes it seems like it's a lot of work for lawyers and compliance people but for now minimal impact on/off the field.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The two California defensemen got good writeups from IL:
Graham Kaestner, D, Sacred Heart (Calif.), ADVNC | Johns Hopkins
Eval Score: 89
Who else to end the lengthy scoring drought from early on in the second quarter to early in the third frame but Graham Kaestner? With his left hand, no less! Kaestner stayed ready for a pass in early offense and ripped one to the top shelf sidearm with his left hand. A calming presence on the clear, Kaestner used his athleticism to his advantage on-ball and displayed some high IQ as a help defender.

Luke Stickler, D, Loyola-Los Angeles (Calif.), Mad Dog West Elite | Johns Hopkins
Eval Score: 86
A menacing interior presence with his stocky frame and well-timed slides, Stickler had great feet work and off-ball defense. But it was his halftime performance that stole the show, registering a 117 mph cannon to earn the fastest-ever Adrenaline All-American shot on record (and which would’ve won this year’s PLL all-star fastest shot competition, too!). Although he didn’t get a chance to venture upfield to show off that velocity, Blue Jays fans will be wanting that powerful cannon to get unleashed in game settings next spring.
Probably not a ton of playing time up for grabs this year but should be at least one spot at close and another at LSM available next year.

Melendez, Smith, and a few others are playing in the OC Lax Classic this weekend. Defending their title from last year for Barley's Backyard
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:02 pm The two California defensemen got good writeups from IL:
Graham Kaestner, D, Sacred Heart (Calif.), ADVNC | Johns Hopkins
Eval Score: 89
Who else to end the lengthy scoring drought from early on in the second quarter to early in the third frame but Graham Kaestner? With his left hand, no less! Kaestner stayed ready for a pass in early offense and ripped one to the top shelf sidearm with his left hand. A calming presence on the clear, Kaestner used his athleticism to his advantage on-ball and displayed some high IQ as a help defender.

Luke Stickler, D, Loyola-Los Angeles (Calif.), Mad Dog West Elite | Johns Hopkins
Eval Score: 86
A menacing interior presence with his stocky frame and well-timed slides, Stickler had great feet work and off-ball defense. But it was his halftime performance that stole the show, registering a 117 mph cannon to earn the fastest-ever Adrenaline All-American shot on record (and which would’ve won this year’s PLL all-star fastest shot competition, too!). Although he didn’t get a chance to venture upfield to show off that velocity, Blue Jays fans will be wanting that powerful cannon to get unleashed in game settings next spring.
Probably not a ton of playing time up for grabs this year but should be at least one spot at close and another at LSM available next year.

Melendez, Smith, and a few others are playing in the OC Lax Classic this weekend. Defending their title from last year for Barley's Backyard
Young defenders getting extra type to develop isn't the worst thing. I have no idea if certain positions are easier or harder for kids transitioning from the high school game to the college game to learn, but given their schedule more time to prepare can't hurt.

Stickler had a nice shot in those IL all star game clips. Felt like 2024 year we saw less transition scoring from the defense. I remember PM discussed the reasoning behind it and 51 maybe had a post or two on it. Wonder if it changes this year. Thought some kids-Carson Brown, Kaufman maybe had some nice shots in the past.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:52 pm Stickler had a nice shot in those IL all star game clips. Felt like 2024 year we saw less transition scoring from the defense. I remember PM discussed the reasoning behind it and 51 maybe had a post or two on it. Wonder if it changes this year. Thought some kids-Carson Brown, Kaufman maybe had some nice shots in the past.
I know you don't watch the games closely but it's kinda inexcusable to not be able to simply google the roster and look at their stats — any 8 year old can do that. Brown has played in 27 career games and has taken one single shot, which did not go in. Anyone with even the most cursory understanding of this team would know that he's not much of a transition threat. Kaufman on the other hand, yes, he scored a few in 2023 but it remains to be seen how much he will actually play in 2025.

Kilrain flies up field after every stop and can handle the ball — he can be a major asset in the fastbreak game should the coaches allow him to be (see his goal vs. Virginia in the quarters). Deans can definitely get up and down as well. The Yale transfers can play both ends and I doubt the staff brought them in to not let them run a little bit.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:27 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:52 pm Stickler had a nice shot in those IL all star game clips. Felt like 2024 year we saw less transition scoring from the defense. I remember PM discussed the reasoning behind it and 51 maybe had a post or two on it. Wonder if it changes this year. Thought some kids-Carson Brown, Kaufman maybe had some nice shots in the past.
I know you don't watch the games closely but it's kinda inexcusable to not be able to simply google the roster and look at their stats — any 8 year old can do that. Brown has played in 27 career games and has taken one single shot, which did not go in. Anyone with even the most cursory understanding of this team would know that he's not much of a transition threat. Kaufman on the other hand, yes, he scored a few in 2023 but it remains to be seen how much he will actually play in 2025.

Kilrain flies up field after every stop and can handle the ball — he can be a major asset in the fastbreak game should the coaches allow him to be (see his goal vs. Virginia in the quarters). Deans can definitely get up and down as well. The Yale transfers can play both ends and I doubt the staff brought them in to not let them run a little bit.
I thought brown had a goal against maryland 2 years ago in college park
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:15 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:27 pm

I thought brown had a goal against maryland 2 years ago in college park
Not according to his stats.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... rown/16775

and according to game stats, no as well, both games v MD no shots.

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... core/18177

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... core/18023

Doesn't mean he couldn't in 2025, just not yet shown that threat.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

PLL devoid of SU and JHU 4 year players.

https://laxallstars.com/pll-concludes-r ... lake-city/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LunaChee wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:11 am Doing what you love or anything that interests you help you do it confidently. If you are into the construction industry and you want to advance your knowledge and skills, you can take the training programs offered by the College of Contract Management. This allows you to gain relevant qualification for more career opportunities. It will serve as a stepping stone when you want to develop and grow as a professional. This can be the turning point of your career path.
i took this training and it set me back years. unrealistic expectations, deflating feedback. not to mention the outlay and re-training necessary. engage with the college of contract management at your own peril.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:16 am PLL devoid of SU and JHU 4 year players.

The underlying point is valid but I think the news is less cataclysmic than it's made out to be. Yes, ideally the number of PLL players from both teams could be higher. It's a competitive league and there are a very limited number of spots. Lots of good college players don't make it.

Degnon had a great start to the season but has been inexcusably sidelined, especially considering the woes the offense has dealt with most of the season. That's a coaching decision which has made no sense to me. Dordevic is also a mainstay, he'd be in were it not for a rather malicious injury.

Players like Curry and Rehfuss (I guess he's not technically 4 years) are still on the holdout list. Kennedy has been in and out of the lineup.

Both schools could stand to get more players involved in the league, but I don't think the sky is falling. Things should be better in the next few years as well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lax Mouse wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:11 pm
LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:16 am PLL devoid of SU and JHU 4 year players.

The underlying point is valid but I think the news is less cataclysmic than it's made out to be.
It's especially not cataclysmic when you consider it's a byproduct of Petro's recruiting, and says literally nothing about the current regime, which hasn't even graduated one of its own classes yet. Basically all of our PLL representation are guys the new staff brought in as transfers (Mazzone, Ierlan, likely Hackler next year) and obviously guys like Collison/Kilrain etc. will be in the mix when they graduate.

That said, it's crazy that Angelus isn't on a roster. I get that he's undersized but he'd absolutely pick apart some of the shorties in this league. Lot of them would have trouble with his foot speed.

Degnon had 4 goals in his pro debut and then they've pretty much benched him since. You'll be shocked to see who that team's offensive coordinator is.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

No one cares
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I don't care about the PLL either, but I think the point of the observation is that (as a first-order approximation), neither JHU nor SU had the raw talent that some fans might have thought / hoped they had. Yes, there were injuries (at least one of them catastrophic), but by and large, the Jays and the Orangemen were less talented than we predicted / hoped.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Mike Gvozden JH 2010 goalie

Goaliesmith training company

Podcast with Q

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... th-e2n6afk

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”