Loyola University Greyhounds 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Loyola University Greyhounds 2025

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:00 pm
Hound93 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:31 pm Rossi is confirmed. Could be a great pickup as he was a do all type midfielder at Westminster University in CO. Athletic with size and may be capable of a couple different roles for the Hounds. Fall will be critical for him to catch up to the speed of the game and culture of the program. Would be great to see him on the field often these next 2 years.
You guys sound more and more like Rutgers site, pretty sad
heard army's getting another double digit pg class coming in. think it's like their 12th in a row. congrats to them.
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:51 pm
Hound93 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:31 pm Rossi is confirmed. Could be a great pickup as he was a do all type midfielder at Westminster University in CO. Athletic with size and may be capable of a couple different roles for the Hounds. Fall will be critical for him to catch up to the speed of the game and culture of the program. Would be great to see him on the field often these next 2 years.
heard army's getting another double digit pg class coming in. think it's like their 12th in a row. congrats to them.
We shall see usually lose some quick, we need you guys to get back do a steady top 10 program it really helps PL teams
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... oster/2025

Mens Lacrosse 2025 roster is up. Some notes:

1. Older guys have switched jersey numbers with some of the recently graduated players.
2. Huge Huge freshmen class coming in in terms of quantity.
3. took in 3 transfers (Trujillo from Syracuse, Rossi from D2 school, Chase brody from West point)
4. looks like among the juniors, Ricky Savage is no longer on the roster
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:34 pm https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... oster/2025

1. Older guys have switched jersey numbers with some of the recently graduated players.
3. took in 3 transfers (Trujillo from Syracuse, Rossi from D2 school, Chase brody from West point)
Did not see Sean cottle listed a assistant coach as some of the previous posters mentioned.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Turnandrake wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:12 pm
houndace1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:34 pm https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... oster/2025

Did not see Sean cottle listed a assistant coach as some of the previous posters mentioned.
Cottle was at the New Balance AA games, recruiting on the sidelines, wearing a Loyola Greyhounds shirt/hat.
My guess is the SID hasn't gotten around to posting it yet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Was looking at season results recently. Short of but not really surprised Cottle had a better win % at Loyola (.721, 181-70) than Toomey does today (.646, 184-101). Toomey has written his place there but always surprised at dismissive so many are of Cottle time at Loyola. (And his time at MD but it’s MD fans, basically Hop fans in training culturally in this sport)

Everyone bugged out at questioning the conclusion that MVA was the problem but while he’s had tremendous success including a national title you’ve also got a lot of season (7) within 1 game of .500 either way (form 7-8 to 8-7 or that record margin). Since Spencer left it’s 38-32.

The are looks like a few others I’ve seen incl to a degree Urick, Cannella and Meade.

So one can refuse to consider all aspects to the relative disappointment of this decade so far and pound the table that bouncing MVA will solve all your problems. Or maybe not moving anyone out but recognizing it for what it is and see if there are tweaks to process, phioshopy, etc that should be made from the captain of the ship.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:03 am Was looking at season results recently. Short of but not really surprised Cottle had a better win % at Loyola (.721, 181-70) than Toomey does today (.646, 184-101). Toomey has written his place there but always surprised at dismissive so many are of Cottle time at Loyola. (And his time at MD but it’s MD fans, basically Hop fans in training culturally in this sport)

Everyone bugged out at questioning the conclusion that MVA was the problem but while he’s had tremendous success including a national title you’ve also got a lot of season (7) within 1 game of .500 either way (form 7-8 to 8-7 or that record margin). Since Spencer left it’s 38-32.

The are looks like a few others I’ve seen incl to a degree Urick, Cannella and Meade.

So one can refuse to consider all aspects to the relative disappointment of this decade so far and pound the table that bouncing MVA will solve all your problems. Or maybe not moving anyone out but recognizing it for what it is and see if there are tweaks to process, phioshopy, etc that should be made from the captain of the ship.
All I know about MVA is that in the five years since I moved back to Baltimore and really started following my old team closely is that nobody seems to improve over their tenure in his offense. Freshmen stars become senior marginal guys. Poitras and maybe James were exceptions. This was especially true in the midfield.
In addition, his reliance on veterans who don’t produce over young guys is exasperating. From Seay, Wigley, Bateman to Higgins, Binney and Kamish. All senior/fifth year guys whose worst seasons were their last. Why?

Just looking at this years squad. One returning starter on offense. Let’s see what MVA can do with younger four star recruits who have sat the bench for a few years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Formerhound wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:56 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:03 am Was looking at season results recently. Short of but not really surprised Cottle had a better win % at Loyola (.721, 181-70) than Toomey does today (.646, 184-101). Toomey has written his place there but always surprised at dismissive so many are of Cottle time at Loyola. (And his time at MD but it’s MD fans, basically Hop fans in training culturally in this sport)

All I know about MVA is that in the five years since I moved back to Baltimore and really started following my old team closely is that nobody seems to improve over their tenure in his offense. Freshmen stars become senior marginal guys. Poitras and maybe James were exceptions. This was especially true in the midfield.
In addition, his reliance on veterans who don’t produce over young guys is exasperating. From Seay, Wigley, Bateman to Higgins, Binney and Kamish. All senior/fifth year guys whose worst seasons were their last. Why?

Just looking at this years squad. One returning starter on offense. Let’s see what MVA can do with younger four star recruits who have sat the bench for a few years.
But you just said you didn’t follow the team closely before that so how can you say it’s any different? Because Spencer?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:09 pm
Formerhound wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:56 am

But you just said you didn’t follow the team closely before that so how can you say it’s any different? Because Spencer?
Followed the team just not as closely. In addition, I wasn’t saying it’s been “different” last five years. Rather I’ve said it’s not good last five years. Last five years, other than an almost win v Duke in NCAA, the team has underperformed vis a vis their recruiting. Either it’s bad recruiting or lack of development. I choose to believe the latter as the recruits generally perform best when they get to Loyola and regress each year. Speaking of the offense here which is MVA’s job.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Dave Cottle's record was phenomenal. He put Loyola on the map. He built the program into a regular top 10 program (at the time).
He always had us ready on Day 1 of the regular season. His issues were the second season.

The scout is out on Loyola offensively. MVA's offenses at UVA and Loyola have always been based around having an alpha to initiate.
We haven't had success lately. So we either don't have the alphas or the wrong offense. You decide.
But to be honest with you, my strong belief is that Loyola underperformed during the Spencer years under MVA.
My opinion is that Loyola needs some fresh coaching eyes on offense. My guess is that Sean Cottle will be put over to the offensive side to help. But I think his main value right now is more from a recruiting perspective.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:15 am

Dave Cottle's record was phenomenal. He put Loyola on the map. He built the program into a regular top 10 program (at the time).
He always had us ready on Day 1 of the regular season. His issues were the second season.

The scout is out on Loyola offensively. MVA's offenses at UVA and Loyola have always been based around having an alpha to initiate.
We haven't had success lately. So we either don't have the alphas or the wrong offense. You decide.
But to be honest with you, my strong belief is that Loyola underperformed during the Spencer years under MVA.
My opinion is that Loyola needs some fresh coaching eyes on offense. My guess is that Sean Cottle will be put over to the offensive side to help. But I think his main value right now is more from a recruiting perspective.
Spoke to a kid at Loyola who went to my old HS who told me that Cottle was brought in to have a second set of eyes on the offense. This kid said that Toomey announced this in front of the team at the final meeting. Toomey also allegedly said that things will be different this year and that if you don’t produce you don’t play.
Think that from a team standpoint, with no 5th year guys around and with no one else, other than Minicus, getting real playtime last year that the staff will be much more willing to bench those that aren’t producing (as compared to benching guys that had previously produced but were no longer producing like Bateman, Seay, Wigley, Higgins, Kamish, Binney, etc… over the past few years).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:15 am

Coffee is for closers.

Third prize is,
you’re fired.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Spoke to a kid at Loyola who went to my old HS who told me that Cottle was brought in to have a second set of eyes on the offense. This kid said that Toomey announced this in front of the team at the final meeting. Toomey also allegedly said that things will be different this year and that if you don’t produce you don’t play.
Think that from a team standpoint, with no 5th year guys around and with no one else, other than Minicus, getting real playtime last year that the staff will be much more willing to bench those that aren’t producing (as compared to benching guys that had previously produced but were no longer producing like Bateman, Seay, Wigley, Higgins, Kamish, Binney, etc… over the past few years).
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a second set of eyes seeking opportunities. I’ve always felt that Toomey and Dwan compliment each other very well on the defensive side. Watch a game and you’ll see Toomey in the defensive huddle more often than the offensive. If Cottle can add that type of observation and MVA is willing to support, it certainly could benefit the players on the offensive side of the field.

Go Hounds!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

There is only one way to go for the greyhounds and that is up. If Toomey self reflected and saw the inconsistencies and the deficiencies with the offense and cottage can right the ship it is a great move If it was done sooner we could have seen some of those team play championship weekend and saw some players that might have surprised you
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

It’s crazy how last year went. The Hounds came into the season with EVERY offensive player returning. Poitras, James, Minicus, Higgins, Kamish, Heuston,Lindsay, Binney, Haberman, Murphy, and more. In addition they had the return of two four star recruits in Dixon and McGory who had missed the prior year due to injury. On defense they lost Wyers and Hughes as well as Rezanka but still had Staudt, Salley, Roman, McGillicudy, and some good transfer guys. In addition their FOGO Pacheco returned.
They were ripe for a big season led by these veterans. Instead, after a huge win over Georgetown to start the season, they flopped. Lost 6 of 7 games. No changes whatsoever with the offense. Same story game after game.
Point I’m trying to make is that last year had so much promise unfulfilled. This year’s team is vey inexperienced. Very few guys on offense that played meaningful minutes last year other than Minicus. Fall ball should be wild with tons of spots open. Saw they play UMBC on Friday the 4th for alumni weekend and then have another set of scrimmages set for October 25th. Should get a decent idea as to where this team is heading this fall.
Go Hounds.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

But nothing is more sad than an Army fan spending countless hours trolling on the Loyola site. How many more years will the Hounds live rent-free in lorin's head?
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

I don't understand the hype around Sean Cottle. He was a HS JV coach, Then a HS varsity asst. Other than his Dad what does he bring to the table to warrant a paid position on a D-1 top 20 team. Are you telling me he will be adding to MVA and what MVA doesn't see? If that's the case then maybe they should look for a new offensive coach.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

laxfanatic wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:02 am I don't understand the hype around Sean Cottle. He was a HS JV coach, Then a HS varsity asst. Other than his Dad what does he bring to the table to warrant a paid position on a D-1 top 20 team. Are you telling me he will be adding to MVA and what MVA doesn't see? If that's the case then maybe they should look for a new offensive coach.
Your concern leads me to believe that he’s a good voice and second set of eyes to head coaches or coordinators. I’d say it’s still TBD how it works out but maybe all those years on the sidelines, coaches meetings and in locker rooms with his father added tremendous value in his past roles. And hopefully it will at Loyola as well.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Hound93 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:21 am
laxfanatic wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:02 am I don't understand the hype around Sean Cottle. He was a HS JV coach, Then a HS varsity asst. Other than his Dad what does he bring to the table to warrant a paid position on a D-1 top 20 team. Are you telling me he will be adding to MVA and what MVA doesn't see? If that's the case then maybe they should look for a new offensive coach.
Your concern leads me to believe that he’s a good voice and second set of eyes to head coaches or coordinators. I’d say it’s still TBD how it works out but maybe all those years on the sidelines, coaches meetings and in locker rooms with his father added tremendous value in his past roles. And hopefully it will at Loyola as well.
Regardless of who it is, students are just built differently these days. Far more touchy/feely, need far more adoration/connection. Not implying they are soft, just a deeper connection. Doubt MVA and CT are going to really connect on this level. A HS coach can be that bridge builder...connecting two sides that only see one another and not connect with one another.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I am hearing that the Duke game has been swapped for providence this year.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”