Washington College 2025

D3 Mens Lacrosse
the_fish_whist1er

Washington College 2025

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

Just under three weeks until students are back on campus in Chestertown. Exciting time to be a student-athlete at WC with the men's soccer team being ranked #4 in the National preseason poll, the announcement of a new tennis facility, and FINALLY some new turf on the Kib. Now year 4 under the Nostrant era and I believe that this is where the wheels start to get turning; coming of a strong finish to the season these players now know what it takes to compete and WIN in the Centennial Conference. WC will be returning 4 out of 6 leading scorers, bringing back a core D and Goalie unit, and two seniors returning for their fifth years. With an incoming class of 18 moving in on Wash Ave, the roster will be the largest it has been in recent history. Alumni game is set for Sept 28, looking forward to getting back down to the ESMD.
kirbysmart14

Re: Washington College 2025

Post by kirbysmart14 »

I definitely like seeing a large incoming class. It seems like Nostrant and Co. have been garnering bigger classes each year to get the roster to around 55 guys, which I think is a good number. Any color on a fall scrimmage or 2025 schedule?
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Definitely will make practice productive with those #s. Which seniors from last year are returning?
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

I've been told that Merritt and Bishop will be utilizing their eligibility.
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

I noticed the team is beginning to announce their incoming class on social media. Looks like they have a faceoff transfer from Scranton coming in. That is a position that I'm hoping to see improvement on this season.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

kirbysmart14 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:04 pm I definitely like seeing a large incoming class. It seems like Nostrant and Co. have been garnering bigger classes each year to get the roster to around 55 guys, which I think is a good number. Any color on a fall scrimmage or 2025 schedule?
I don't like 50+. It's too much. Makes practice less about development and more of a showcase. How many reps are you getting with the coaches eyes on you with 55 kids? Not freaking many. I remember that feeling. You make a play, but the coaches aren't watching. I personally think it's counterintuitive over 40. That's four staring lineups. 40 kids. If you're just playing an enrollment game, fine. If you want to get the MOST out of the game, no.
kirbysmart14

Post by kirbysmart14 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:28 pm
kirbysmart14 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:04 pm I definitely like seeing a large incoming class. It seems like Nostrant and Co. have been garnering bigger classes each year to get the roster to around 55 guys, which I think is a good number. Any color on a fall scrimmage or 2025 schedule?
I don't like 50+. It's too much. Makes practice less about development and more of a showcase. How many reps are you getting with the coaches eyes on you with 55 kids? Not freaking many. I remember that feeling. You make a play, but the coaches aren't watching. I personally think it's counterintuitive over 40. That's four staring lineups. 40 kids. If you're just playing an enrollment game, fine. If you want to get the MOST out of the game, no.
MVP, I do see your point. No idea why these teams today carry so many. I was more so saying I like a roster that’s comparable to the top teams in D3, that typically carry 55 or so (Salisbury, RIT, Lynchburg). NESCAC teams seem to make do with ~45 however, which intrigues me. I definitely don’t think a Stevenson/Tampa (65+) roster style is ideal for my Shoremen
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

kirbysmart14 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:18 am
MVP, I do see your point. No idea why these teams today carry so many. I was more so saying I like a roster that’s comparable to the top teams in D3, that typically carry 55 or so (Salisbury, RIT, Lynchburg). NESCAC teams seem to make do with ~45 however, which intrigues me. I definitely don’t think a Stevenson/Tampa (65+) roster style is ideal for my Shoremen
I agree, but I do not think that is a long-term strategy. Seems like the coaching staff trying to rebuild and get as many bodies as possible and weed out the talent that way. Hard to rebuild and gamble on a 10-12 player class, especially when you lose kids to injury, transfer, or quitting the sport altogether.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ChopMan23 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:01 am
I agree, but I do not think that is a long-term strategy. Seems like the coaching staff trying to rebuild and get as many bodies as possible and weed out the talent that way. Hard to rebuild and gamble on a 10-12 player class, especially when you lose kids to injury, transfer, or quitting the sport altogether.
Feel all that. Berkman has 100+ kids try out. I'm not against that kind of strategy. D3 classes are always bigger for those attrition related reasons. I just don't like the idea of of a 55 man roster. Seems nuts to me. Coaches can't stay reasonably close to that many kids either. You lose the best parts of playing ball.
LeftBenchCoach

Post by LeftBenchCoach »

MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:50 pm ...

Feel all that. Berkman has 100+ kids try out. I'm not against that kind of strategy. D3 classes are always bigger for those attrition related reasons. I just don't like the idea of of a 55 man roster. Seems nuts to me. Coaches can't stay reasonably close to that many kids either. You lose the best parts of playing ball.
The best HS programs in the area carry 50 kids on varsity. 50 players + 5 coaches fit on the bus.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

LeftBenchCoach wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:21 pm

The best HS programs in the area carry 50 kids on varsity. 50 players + 5 coaches fit on the bus.
I'm not sure what area you're from, but in SEPA the best Private teams have around 40 on varsity. The best public teams vary, but usually the same or less.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Where would that be?
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:49 am

Where would that be?
My HS program carried 50, it was god awful.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:50 pm
wait. are you saying that salisbury tells 100 kids each year they can play for salisbury, then has tryouts and only keep 50?

i feel like every freshman on the team in 2024 was recruited.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:36 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:50 pm
wait. are you saying that salisbury tells 100 kids each year they can play for salisbury, then has tryouts and only keep 50?

i feel like every freshman on the team in 2024 was recruited.
Yes Salisbury does that for sure, then kids transfer or stay to play club if they love the university - seen it a few times first hand
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Seeing a few MIAA commitments headed to WC. Some 25s and a transfer or two that played their HS ball in the MIAA. Glad to see the Sho'men staying local-ish and Nostrant's familiarity with the MIAA paying some dividends. As a WC outsider, but one that follows MD HS lax, I like what WC is bringing in.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Agree with you Kramerica! Me like the WC direction...
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

From the fall ball thread: Also on October 26th, there will be an event at the WSFS Bank Sportplex in Chester, PA with Arcadia and Haverford serving as hosts and featuring Washington College, Chestnut Hill, Widener, Kean, DeSales, Harford Community College, Adelphi, Salisbury, Franklin and Marshall and Susquehanna.

some good teams participating that day. When does fall practice start?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:45 pm From the fall ball thread: Also on October 26th, there will be an event at the WSFS Bank Sportplex in Chester, PA with Arcadia and Haverford serving as hosts and featuring Washington College, Chestnut Hill, Widener, Kean, DeSales, Harford Community College, Adelphi, Salisbury, Franklin and Marshall and Susquehanna.

Next Monday.
kirbysmart14

Post by kirbysmart14 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:45 pm From the fall ball thread: Also on October 26th, there will be an event at the WSFS Bank Sportplex in Chester, PA with Arcadia and Haverford serving as hosts and featuring Washington College, Chestnut Hill, Widener, Kean, DeSales, Harford Community College, Adelphi, Salisbury, Franklin and Marshall and Susquehanna.

Interesting assortment of teams. I wonder who WC will be playing?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”