Florida State

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxdadpat

Re: Florida State

Post by laxdadpat »

but seriously, someone must be named as FSU head coach in the next few weeks. It's all about getting some commits from the 2026 class in September. Still a better chance to see Bigfoot than the FSU women's lacrosse coach.
Noleslax

Post by Noleslax »

Look forward to seeing you and Bigfoot on Tuesday.
DMVCuseLax

Post by DMVCuseLax »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:17 am but seriously, someone must be named as FSU head coach in the next few weeks. It's all about getting some commits from the 2026 class in September. Still a better chance to see Bigfoot than the FSU women's lacrosse coach.
Sara Tisdale
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

DMVCuseLax wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:27 pm
laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:17 am but seriously, someone must be named as FSU head coach in the next few weeks. It's all about getting some commits from the 2026 class in September. Still a better chance to see Bigfoot than the FSU women's lacrosse coach.
Sara Tisdale
😂
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Bigfoot would probably attract better recruits to FSU. I wouldn't pound that chest too much. :lol: :lol:
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

laxdadpat wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:27 pm Bigfoot would probably attract better recruits to FSU. I wouldn't pound that chest too much. :lol: :lol:
THIS!!! If you were a recruitable aged player (or even a young, unhappy D1 player with aspirations of a new program needing to fuel their roster), you just let out a collective..."ummmmmmm, ok" with the new hire. Unfortunately, says one of two things about FSU and their committment for women's lacrosse:

1. Everyone and their mom that they were hoping for passed (not a good look).

OR

2. FSU really honed in on who they think should lead a new Power 5 program (and this would scare me even more than #1).
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:08 pm
laxdadpat wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:27 pm Bigfoot would probably attract better recruits to FSU. I wouldn't pound that chest too much. :lol: :lol:
THIS!!! If you were a recruitable aged player (or even a young, unhappy D1 player with aspirations of a new program needing to fuel their roster), you just let out a collective..."ummmmmmm, ok" with the new hire. Unfortunately, says one of two things about FSU and their committment for women's lacrosse:

1. Everyone and their mom that they were hoping for passed (not a good look).

OR

2. FSU really honed in on who they think should lead a new Power 5 program (and this would scare me even more than #1).

Yeah. I agree. I asked my daughter if she had any interest in kicking the tires. She's said none. If FSU had a team last year it would’ve 100% been in her wheelhouse. I feel it fit all the criteria of where she wanted to go. The hire was not interesting enough to move the needle I guess. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens he next couple of months.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Underestimate FSU at your own peril..They have the blueprint from women's soccer. Those two sports are very similar in how they are run in terms of recruiting and player management if you're a large school with the resources.

Not to mention the attractiveness of big time football that lax recruits regularly mention (ala clemson) yet people somehow continue to ignore.

FSU is an attractive destination. They just need that first whiff of success and watch out. Imagine the choice of a Connecticut recruit between syracuse and a good up and coming florida state? no offense to CUSE but these kids want warm weather. It won't be a hard decision.

the hard part will just be breaking through with that first successful season.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:57 pm Underestimate FSU at your own peril..They have the blueprint from women's soccer. Those two sports are very similar in how they are run in terms of recruiting and player management if you're a large school with the resources.

Not to mention the attractiveness of big time football that lax recruits regularly mention (ala clemson) yet people somehow continue to ignore.

FSU is an attractive destination. They just need that first whiff of success and watch out. Imagine the choice of a Connecticut recruit between syracuse and a good up and coming florida state? no offense to CUSE but these kids want warm weather. It won't be a hard decision.

I see what you're saying, but as much of a hard time I love giving Clemson, that school and administration went all in on women's lax. Their own facility and field etc. While I agree FSU has some of that same cache, from what I hear, they have zero plans of doing anything special with women's lax. Of course time will tell, but the commitment just doesn't seem to be there.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:57 pm Underestimate FSU at your own peril..They have the blueprint from women's soccer. Those two sports are very similar in how they are run in terms of recruiting and player management if you're a large school with the resources.

I don’t think it’s underestimating it. I think they will be fine down the road. I was just telling a story of how my daughter wasn’t interested in it because it’s not making a big splash. As I said, if it was already there, I guarantee my daughter would’ve had that towards the top of her list. I feel it needs a few years to get the ball rolling. It’s not going to be like Clemson and right out of the gate throwing millions into their own facility having top kids wanting to go there.
Full disclosure, I would’ve loved my daughter to go there. It’s a good school and I want to move down south.
Justoldlaxdad

Post by Justoldlaxdad »

Word is they are building new lax only facility that will be ready in year
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Justoldlaxdad wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:53 pm Word is they are building new lax only facility that will be ready in year
🤔
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:01 pm
Justoldlaxdad wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:53 pm Word is they are building new lax only facility that will be ready in year
🤔
The idea of women's lacrosse at FSU sounds amazing, I just think it's being forced upon FSU. A new lacrosse only facility doesn't just appear on campus. Have you seen the hype videos from Ohio State, Clemson, Navy, Maryland, South Florida, etc that were put you years ahead of a finished lacrosse facility. The funding, naming rights, land and even the plans need to be complete 3 years out. If they were pouring money into lacrosse, some of that would have been used to get a high-profile coach. The number 2 program behind the Gators in Florida will be U of South Florida in a few years.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

The big time football this is completely overrated. Is it mentioned by recruits? Sure. Does it make for an impressive September/October visit? Absolutely. But look at this years final top 25. How many are big time football schools? Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State. I'm a MD fan but even I wouldn't qualify MD as big time football considering they can't usually fill more than half the stadium. I suppose currently you could include Colorado, but once Deion rolls out that won't be the case anymore. But even if you want to include them that's only 5 of the top 25 schools.

At the end of the day, I think recruits realize that there are only 6-7 home football games a year. Winning, academics, relationship with coaches, etc play a much bigger role in those decisions for most recruits in my opinion.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

hmmm wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:17 am

The big time football this is completely overrated. Is it mentioned by recruits? Sure. Does it make for an impressive September/October visit? Absolutely. But look at this years final top 25. How many are big time football schools? Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State. I'm a MD fan but even I wouldn't qualify MD as big time football considering they can't usually fill more than half the stadium. I suppose currently you could include Colorado, but once Deion rolls out that won't be the case anymore. But even if you want to include them that's only 5 of the top 25 schools.

At the end of the day, I think recruits realize that there are only 6-7 home football games a year. Winning, academics, relationship with coaches, etc play a much bigger role in those decisions for most recruits in my opinion.
Depends on the recruit. I know quite a few kids that passed on a great academic school in Marquette due to not having football. Sure, they have a solid basketball team and history, but it didn’t move the dial for some, including my daughter (similar to Deacon on FSU for his daughter).
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:33 am

Depends on the recruit. I know quite a few kids that passed on a great academic school in Marquette due to not having football. Sure, they have a solid basketball team and history, but it didn’t move the dial for some, including my daughter (similar to Deacon on FSU for his daughter).
Oh, I'm sure it's a big factor for some. Kids choose schools for all sorts of reasons. Was just saying I don't believe it's a big factor for a lot of girls. UNC, NW, BC, Cuse, MD, UVA, etc aren't providing any sort of huge gameday experience and they seem to do just fine. There's just not a ton of top lax schools that have "big time football". Florida, Michigan, ND, PSU, Clemson, USC, Va Tech, Oregon, and OSU are about it. The last 3 on that list have no history of wlax success. Nor does Clemson but that should obviously change. So basically, if a girl wants a top 20 lax program with big time football they have 4-5 choices. PSU won national championships in 1987 and 1989. In 1989, the NCAA tournament consisted of PSU, Harvard(who lost in finals), semifinalists Temple and Princeton, and quarterfinalists UVA and Lafayette so it goes without saying, times have changed. In the modern era of wlax, no "big time football" school has won a championship.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Question about "word is Florida State is building a WLAX facility" . . or close. What does that statement mean? The school has to provide facilities for lockers, etc. Is that what the school is doing or our they following Clemson's lead and building a WLAX only facility. One would believe they would use the existing soccer and football playing and practice fields to support the the new team. TIA
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

hmmm wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:25 pm

Oh, I'm sure it's a big factor for some. Kids choose schools for all sorts of reasons. Was just saying I don't believe it's a big factor for a lot of girls. UNC, NW, BC, Cuse, MD, UVA, etc aren't providing any sort of huge gameday experience and they seem to do just fine. There's just not a ton of top lax schools that have "big time football". Florida, Michigan, ND, PSU, Clemson, USC, Va Tech, Oregon, and OSU are about it. The last 3 on that list have no history of wlax success. Nor does Clemson but that should obviously change. So basically, if a girl wants a top 20 lax program with big time football they have 4-5 choices. PSU won national championships in 1987 and 1989. In 1989, the NCAA tournament consisted of PSU, Harvard(who lost in finals), semifinalists Temple and Princeton, and quarterfinalists UVA and Lafayette so it goes without saying, times have changed. In the modern era of wlax, no "big time football" school has won a championship.
To be fair - while somebody has already mentioned Colorado, - Cincinnati made the CFP a couple of years ago and is an absolute awesome gameday experience, James Madison has been one of the most exciting football teams the last couple of years, and Coastal Carolina has one the best winning percentages in all of college football for like the past 10 years. I think these schools should be added to your list of wlax schools that take football very very seriously- even though it probably doesn’t change the point you are trying to make.

However - the wlax schools that have P4 football (with the acc being a bit of a ?) will just have so much more $$$$ - I don’t see how that doesn’t have an impact.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

laxdadpat wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:16 am
Relax77 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:01 pm
🤔
The idea of women's lacrosse at FSU sounds amazing, I just think it's being forced upon FSU. A new lacrosse only facility doesn't just appear on campus. Have you seen the hype videos from Ohio State, Clemson, Navy, Maryland, South Florida, etc that were put you years ahead of a finished lacrosse facility. The funding, naming rights, land and even the plans need to be complete 3 years out. If they were pouring money into lacrosse, some of that would have been used to get a high-profile coach. The number 2 program behind the Gators in Florida will be U of South Florida in a few years.
I thought South Florida was sharing its facilities (indoor and on campus stadium) with football . And it took like 6 years to build the indoor facility - have they started the stadium yet ?
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

hmmm wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:25 pm

I believe you're showing your age here. For you they may not be "big time" football programs because you're looking at records and rankings, but the fun and excitement on campus at BC/UNC when Clemson, Florida State or Miami comes to campus or at MD/NW when Mich, OSU or PSU comes to campus is what matters. In the eyes of high school girls, when picking a school, if you're a power 5 school they consider it big time football. It's not about wins/losses and the quality of the team for them, its about the excitement and good time on campus coupled with their own ability to play high level lacrosse, which all of the big 10 and ACC schools provide. And FL St will soon join that list, regardless of facilities or anything else old men want to use to say they won't be a destination school.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”