The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ggait

Re: 2024

Post by ggait »

ggait wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 2:23 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:38 pm
Last update: 12:15 p.m, Thursday, August 1:

With Kamala Harris having another day of reasonably strong polling, we’re now officially in the zone where we can call the race a toss-up. She has a 54 percent chance of winning Michigan, a 50 percent chance of winning Wisconsin, a 47 percent chance of winning Pennsylvania, and a 45 percent chance of winning the Electoral College.

Last update: 1:30 p.m, Friday, August 2:

Despite a bad day of economic news — which worsens the model’s economic index and therefore harms the incumbent party’s chances — Kamala Harris continues to inch ahead in the forecast on the strength of fairly strong polling. She now leads Donald Trump by 1.1 points in our national polling average, and has a 47 percent chance of winning the Electoral College, putting the race well into toss-up territory.

Harris is now ahead in Silver's poll average for each of PA, WI and MI.
Harris up to 50.5% win probability today.
53% Harris win probability today.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:06 pm
Which country would you prefer to live in over America over the past 4 years?
Seriously, Russia, China?
Japan?, Australia? India? You like what Brexit has done to the Brits?
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

And given global warming, climate is much more pleasant in the winter than it used to be.
Going to Quebec City for 5 days a couple of weeks from now, then up St. Lawrence to PEI, Nova Scotia, down through Maine.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:15 pm
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

And given global warming, climate is much more pleasant in the winter than it used to be.
Going to Quebec City for 5 days a couple of weeks from now, then up St. Lawrence to PEI, Nova Scotia, down through Maine.
Do yourself a favor, and stay at the Frontenac. You won't regret it. One of the most beautiful hotels in the world. Has an indoor/outdoor pool on one of the upper floors, overlooking the city.

Also, a quick uber to https://www.cassismonna.com/en/. Monna & Filles, Distillery & Winery for creme de cassis....both the wines and the liqueurs are outstanding, imho. Nice lunch, too.

Also, right next to the hotel Frontenac is Parmesan, a quirky little Italian restaurant. Ate there twice. Really good simple Italian.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:24 pm
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

Do yourself a favor, and stay at the Frontenac. You won't regret it. One of the most beautiful hotels in the world. Has an indoor/outdoor pool on one of the upper floors, overlooking the city.

Also, a quick uber to https://www.cassismonna.com/en/. Monna & Filles, Distillery & Winery for creme de cassis....both the wines and the liqueurs are outstanding, imho. Nice lunch, too.

Also, right next to the hotel Frontenac is Parmesan, a quirky little Italian restaurant. Ate there twice. Really good simple Italian.
Thanks for the advice!

We'll likely just visit the Frontenac this go round, but are staying at a nice Airbnb in old town.
Looking forward to a couple of bike rides and some deep absorption of the culture, as it's our first visit.
Will look up the winery and restaurants!

PS EDIT: how do you read these prices on menu...is 150 supposed to mean $15 (Canadian) ??
https://qr.mydigimenu.com/9520bdcf-673d ... nuID=46272
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:32 pm
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

Thanks for the advice!

We'll likely just visit the Frontenac this go round, but are staying at a nice Airbnb in old town.
Looking forward to a couple of bike rides and some deep absorption of the culture, as it's our first visit.
Oh, Bikes.....the winery is a bike ride away! It's on an Island on the St. Lawrence.

We LOVED Quebec. Food was so good, and at the very least, I'd dine at the Frontenac at least once. Breakfast, lunch...whatever.....

It's part of the Hotel Fairmont properties that were built with Railroad Money in Canada.......

Both my wife and daughter a fluent in French, so it was a wonderful experience.
Last edited by a fan on Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:37 pm
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, Bikes.....the winery is a bike ride away! It's on an Island on the St. Lawrence.

We LOVED Quebec. Food was so good, and at the very least, I'd dine at the Frontenac at least once. Breakfast, lunch...whatever.....

It's part of the Hotel Fairmont properties that were built with Railroad Money in Canada.......
We loved Quebec City. The oldest city in North America and the only “European” city in north America. Enjoy it.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:37 pm
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, the plan is to visit the island by bike, weather permitting, though may do more than once.

PS EDIT: how do you read these prices on menu at Frontenac (top floor)...is 150 supposed to mean $15 (Canadian) ??
https://qr.mydigimenu.com/9520bdcf-673d ... nuID=46272
DMac

Post by DMac »

ggait

Post by ggait »

Mrs. ggait and I love Canada. We used to go to Quebec City all the time when we lived back east. Old, historic (Plains of Abraham), French. We especially liked it in the winter -- but talk about COLD!!!

Frontenac is great. The other old Canadian Pacific Railway hotels out west in Banff and Lake Louise are also great.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:34 pm
Mrs. ggait and I love Canada. We used to go to Quebec City all the time when we lived back east. Old, historic (Plains of Abraham), French. We especially liked it in the winter -- but talk about COLD!!!

Frontenac is great. The other old Canadian Pacific Railway hotels out west in Banff and Lake Louise are also great.
One of my wife's clients back in her Bain days was the Canadian Pacific, though she was focused on their shopping center portfolio at the time. Massive realignment created a ton of value for them.

We'd love to get to Banff and Lake Louise sometime.

Our objective will be primarily getting away from summer heat, though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

Have you seen the women in the Scandinavian countries, sign me up now!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

I'm teaching some Master Classes at the Banff Whiskey festival again this November......the Fairmont Banff feels like Hogwarts, and is my wife and I's favorite hotel. It's breathtaking out there, and the food, service, etc. is all top notch for a fraction of what you'd pay for a subpar experience in Vail or Aspen, imho.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Gorgeous in both winter and summer.

Part of the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge was damaged in the recent fires in Jasper. Luckily the main lodge wasn't touched.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:26 pm

I'm teaching some Master Classes at the Banff Whiskey festival again this November......the Fairmont Banff feels like Hogwarts, and is my wife and I's favorite hotel. It's breathtaking out there, and the food, service, etc. is all top notch for a fraction of what you'd pay for a subpar experience in Vail or Aspen, imho.
My son is headed to Banff in a week or so… can you recommend two spots for a nice drink? Thanks.
“I wish you would!”
richard

Post by richard »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:15 pm [quote=ggait post_id=574052 time=<a href="tel:1722877617">1722877617</a> user_id=487]
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

[/quote]

I can never pass up giving advice about traveling in Quebec. When you leave Quebec travel down the St Lawrence on the north shore. Bae St Paul, La Malbaie, and Taddousac are destinations by themselves. Then take the ferry from St Simeon to Rivière du Loup on the south shore. The scenery on the north shore is much nicer too. Once you get to the Atlantic coast don’t forget to load up on lobster. You’re headed on a trip that I would do 100 more times in my life if only…. PEI and Nova Scotia are just as wonderful too. :D
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

richard wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:44 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:15 pm [quote=ggait post_id=574052 time=<a href="tel:1722877617">1722877617</a> user_id=487]
France? Germany?
Canada is very nice.

I can never pass up giving advice about traveling in Quebec. When you leave Quebec travel down the St Lawrence on the north shore. Bae St Paul, La Malbaie, and Taddousac are destinations by themselves. Then take the ferry from St Simeon to Rivière du Loup on the south shore. The scenery on the north shore is much nicer too. Once you get to the Atlantic coast don’t forget to load up on lobster. You’re headed on a trip that I would do 100 more times in my life if only…. PEI and Nova Scotia are just as wonderful too. :D
[/quote]

+100. Great advice. PEI and Nova Scotia are so lovely, and so very different from one another.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You all are making want to go to Canada now, vs Scotland. As a young kid we did the Cabot Trail towing a camper as a family. Do not recall much of it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:59 pm You all are making want to go to Canada now, vs Scotland. As a young kid we did the Cabot Trail towing a camper as a family. Do not recall much of it.
Don't!! You will have a spectacular time in Scotland. You can go on the Canada maritime trip another time.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:59 pm You all are making want to go to Canada now, vs Scotland. As a young kid we did the Cabot Trail towing a camper as a family. Do not recall much of it.
Scotland's on my wish list for a future summer...MacGregor clan. Along with Ireland.

My main experiences in Canada were as boy at Camp Keywaydin, Lake Temagami.
Two summers of hardcore canoe tripping, final year on 8 week trip to Hudson Bay.

Wife's family were part of the early settlers of Nova Scotia, "loyalists" in that branch of the family apparently. Also early settlers of Nantucket, cod and whaling, etc. Her dad was the last in the line of many generations of commercial fishermen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How in the world has there been like 17 posts on Canada and none about Montreal and the transcendent nightlife entertainment that joint offers?

Makes no sense. None at all.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “POLITICS”