Roster cap and scholarship limits

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Roster cap and scholarship limits

Post by Relax77 »

Inside lacrosse put out an informative article. It was mostly about men’s lacrosse but none the less here it is.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article ... sse-/63856

Also US Club Lax threw out one today.

https://www.usclublax.com/newsDisplay.php?news_id=170
cdb

Re: Roster cap and scholarship limits

Post by cdb »

It is way too early for any predictions on the impact of decisions surrounding court cases and the NCAA agreement. The NCAA and most of schools are concerned about the use of NIL payments that are causing many talented athletes to transfer ignorer to take advantage of NIL cooperative money. Before NIL was allowed, the NCAA used to punish schools who allowed alums to grant payments to athletes. So, hopefully, with part of the $22 mil being used to retain current athletes, the NCAA hopes there will not be as many athletes in the transfer portals.

I have read two articles quoting Division I football coaches who state they will NOT be using all 105 scholarships and might even make use of partial scholarships such are done in the non-revenue sports in order to make up for the loss of the 30-35 or so walk ons that are on their teams.

There is just too much unsettled and up in the air for predictions to be given at this time.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

This is the first article I’ve read that seems to actually have some legit info: https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... e-lacrosse
cdb

Post by cdb »

I am posting a link to a LOCKED ON ACC blog that discusses the latest NCAA ruling ad its pitfalls. The second half of the podcasts discusses the future of the ACC , which you may or mat not have interest in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yut_w6hUsc8
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

SoCal wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:53 pm This is the first article I’ve read that seems to actually have some legit info: https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... e-lacrosse
Could use some better editing...

“Nobody has a money tree in their backyard,” said IWLCA president Kate Gallagher, the head women’s lacrosse coach at Division II Tampa.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

SoCal wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:53 pm This is the first article I’ve read that seems to actually have some legit info: https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... e-lacrosse
It’s kinda what everyone here speculated. Probably only going to be a net positive for a handful of schools. What I never thought about is the schools that are barely getting funded for lax. How it affects them if they give 20 more scholarships to football
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:01 pm
It’s kinda what everyone here speculated. Probably only going to be a net positive for a handful of schools. What I never thought about is the schools that are barely getting funded for lax. How it affects them if they give 20 more scholarships to football
How many big football schools that have wlax, don't fully fund wlax? I have no clue to the answer to this. BUT from what it sounds like, it will either benefit a sport like wlax OR hurt another mens sport (or two or three...).
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:27 pm
How many big football schools that have wlax, don't fully fund wlax? I have no clue to the answer to this. BUT from what it sounds like, it will either benefit a sport like wlax OR hurt another mens sport (or two or three...).
I worded it wrong. Not fully funded. But a school like Penn State doesn’t have the money to add 26 wlax scholarships. They’ll add their 20 football ones for sure though.
I was really thinking about when this trickles down to the outside power 4 conferences. I still think this only helps a few schools. Ie. Clemson.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:46 pm
I worded it wrong. Not fully funded. But a school like Penn State doesn’t have the money to add 26 wlax scholarships. They’ll add their 20 football ones for sure though.
I was really thinking about when this trickles down to the outside power 4 conferences. I still think this only helps a few schools. Ie. Clemson.
i'm curious, don't know much about penn state wlax and how much they're funded specifically to date. why do you say penn state doesn't have the money for it?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:22 pm
i'm curious, don't know much about penn state wlax and how much they're funded specifically to date. why do you say penn state doesn't have the money for it?
They are fully funded. Word on the street is they are having money problems and may be closing one of the satellite campuses. I just used that as an example. I don’t believe all Power 4 conferences will be ponying up 38 scholarships for non revenue sports.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Nobody is going to fund 26 women’s lax scholarships.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:27 pm
Sorry. Meant 36
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Sorry. Meant 36
How about 38? :lol:
Justoldlaxdad

Post by Justoldlaxdad »

If they add 20 for football they will have to add 20 to a women’s sport to be in compliance with Title IX
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Justoldlaxdad wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:21 pm If they add 20 for football they will have to add 20 to a women’s sport to be in compliance with Title IX
Or take away 20 from various men's sports...
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Yes there will be a few programs that will fund 26 women's scholarships. Stand alone schools that don't have mens lacrosse programs are ones to watch
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

interesting..This will show what programs are actually serious about lacrosse. The blue bloods of the sport will love this. They can opt for offering more full rides to top recruits as opposed to dishing out the allotment of the extra funds evenly among 3 or 4 lesser recruits that may or may not see the field

Under the current model, top recruits already get the biggest chunk of scholarship money. Full rides are rare. but i wonder if under this new proposal, the blue bloods will feel a little bolder offering a full ride to top recruits like Spallina or Humphrey to entice them.

Also, With NIL and all the money being thrown around these days, this feels like a natural progression. Other programs with extra cash might be willing to go all in and take a shot. Clemson has already shown the play book for this.

Currently, if you're not a top 20 program (or an ivy) , landing a top 25 recruit is very difficult. Would take alot of convincing. If you're a perenial top 30-40 or so program and got extra football money lying around, Offer up a full ride and nice NIL package and hope that's enough. May not be, but will definitely put a program in consideration for elite talent when other wise they would never have been.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Then again, for an athlete that has always been attracted to a school and/or its coach, and who might have only received a partial scholarship, there may be some changes. Now that school, if it chooses, will offer more athletes full scholarships and those girls will not choose an alternative school that would offer her that full ride.

If this occurs, the rich will get richer and most of the other schools will be hurt in their recruiting.

The football schools can choose to do this as part of meeting Title 9 requirements -- and, take a wealthy school in terms of alumni support and NIL collectives -- if it decided to go full in for WLAX, they might offer NIL payments to attract top talent. Considering all the expense parents incur developing their talented daughters, this might be very welcome, but for the less talented but devoted athletes, this could hurt in the long run.

Will it play out this way -- no one knows, but interesting times for sure
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

Will Army and Navy be subject to the roster limits? Every cadet or midshipman is already on a full ride, so scholarships aren't a factor in the same way as at a typical school. At the same time, NOT applying the limits to the service academies would give them a significant advantage in terms of depth (Navy has had particularly large rosters in recent years).
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:02 pm
Sorry. Meant 36
How about 38? :lol:
Yes. My math apparently sucks but my point remains. I love ncaa women’s lax. But it is nowhere near as popular as compared to soccer or softball or volleyball or …..
Nor does it have a shred of diversity.
I simply can’t see programs deciding to up the scholarship dollars significantly for women’s lax so that they can win an ncaa championship in a sport no alums or donors care about…

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”