Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Midwestlaxmomma

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Midwestlaxmomma »

lax wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:09 am
Midwestlaxmomma wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:13 am Anyone know where Brice Queener from Denver went?
Guessing YOU know as he is still on staff on the website
I did not know. His email was gone from the IWLCA platform so I wondered. I just saw on social media he is head coach now at UCCS.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:50 pm
SweeptheLeg wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:54 am
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:47 am 2025s haven't signed yet. But the excitement of a new program is a strong pull for players. If Pitt and Clemson were able to land solid transfers, FSU will have no problem. Look for the florida programs to get raided. (Florida,Jacksonville)
USF is the first program they should raid. They will need to cut 10-11 players in the next year to meet the new roster limits. FSU will have immediate access to players who have spent a year or more in a D1 system, balancing practice with school. That’s a big adjustment for some.

USF may even have players enter the portal this December given they will be pushing 40 players, so even more immediate access for FSU. Something seems off with USF given 25% of their initial class of commits plus transfers voluntarily left. Someone also posted their 2024 class had a handful leave. 2025s still have time to flip.

FSU could benefit by taking players for the other FL schools and agree some D2 players would be good pickups. The FL D2 programs are strong. May not be the ultimate answer, but a good way to hit the ground running for FSU.
They will 100% go after USF. And Mindy and Britt will gladly thank them and hold the door open for them and send Tisdale a gift basket.
That’s an interesting take. Are you suggesting they’ll open the door so the players can cleanup the mess they created by over-committing their roster. If so, that is a really shady way to go about running a new program. And a really bad look for the USF coaches.

Had commits and transfers from their initial class not opted to leave they would be staring at a roster of 55 players next year. Even with those departures they’ll have to cut a lot of players now to adhere to the new roster limit. Limited rosters or not, USF has mismanaged their recruiting process, playing the numbers game, not having a genuine interest in those they recruited. It’s a bad way to run a team.

Relax77, I think it was you who posted earlier what a bad feeling you had about one USF coach. I’ve heard similar things from others. I read where others posted those leaving were the choice of the coaches. This is the better PR story for USF, but not accurate. If coaches need to hope players will leave to clean up the mess they created then they need a new recruiting strategy. This should be a wake up call to recruits considering USF. Integrity and trust is everything in business and it’s no different in this situation. Don’t know how anyone can trust this group of coaches moving forward.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

USF last year at the HHH committed had a complete team. This year they only had 8. Assistant coach was mad and said would be mandatory next year. Doesn’t seem to be the same level of excitement going into this year. USF is going to be interesting to watch. I am guessing lots of promises especially to the transfers.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:05 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:47 am 2025s haven't signed yet. But the excitement of a new program is a strong pull for players. If Pitt and Clemson were able to land solid transfers, FSU will have no problem. Look for the florida programs to get raided. (Florida,Jacksonville)
USF is the first program they should raid. They will need to cut 10-11 players in the next year to meet the new roster limits. FSU will have immediate access to players who have spent a year or more in a D1 system, balancing practice with school. That’s a big adjustment for some.

USF may even have players enter the portal this December given they will be pushing 40 players, so even more immediate access for FSU. Something seems off with USF given 25% of their initial class of commits plus transfers voluntarily left. Someone also posted their 2024 class had a handful leave. 2025s still have time to flip.

FSU could benefit by taking players for the other FL schools and agree some D2 players would be good pickups. The FL D2 programs are strong. May not be the ultimate answer, but a good way to hit the ground running for FSU.
They will 100% go after USF. And Mindy and Britt will gladly thank them and hold the door open for them and send Tisdale a gift basket.
That’s an interesting take. Are you suggesting they’ll open the door so the players can cleanup the mess they created by over-committing their roster. If so, that is a really shady way to go about running a new program. And a really bad look for the USF coaches.

Had commits and transfers from their initial class not opted to leave they would be staring at a roster of 55 players next year. Even with those departures they’ll have to cut a lot of players now to adhere to the new roster limit. Limited rosters or not, USF has mismanaged their recruiting process, playing the numbers game, not having a genuine interest in those they recruited. It’s a bad way to run a team.

Relax77, I think it was you who posted earlier what a bad feeling you had about one USF coach. I’ve heard similar things from others. I read where others posted those leaving were the choice of the coaches. This is the better PR story for USF, but not accurate. If coaches need to hope players will leave to clean up the mess they created then they need a new recruiting strategy. This should be a wake up call to recruits considering USF. Integrity and trust is everything in business and it’s no different in this situation. Don’t know how anyone can trust this group of coaches moving forward.
No sir. That was another poster. But I do believe months ago someone asked me about all the negative publicity regarding USF and I summarised it for them. There were quite a few posters on the recruiting thread crushing USF for some of the things they did. It was a lot of negative stuff. Looking back it looks like it is mostly deserved.
We happened to love our visit there. My daughter loved Mindy and Britt. We realised the roster was going to be huge, and some other stuff didn't jive so we looked elsewhere.
Now....That being said, USF does have a credibility problem right now. I am soooooo. interested to see what they do in September. I will say, what is going on right now is exactly what they told incoming recruits was going to happen. I've read it here and I witnessed it personally that they said they would be trimming kids from the 2023 and 2024 commit list. They didn't go into how, but they did say they would not be on the final roster, when we asked about numbers.
I also just heard that last week after that decision came down, they contacted a few kids and gave more money. Whether that's true or not, IDK, the parents could have been exaggerating. Also don't know if it was Athletic or NIL.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

lax wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:09 pm Since this is the coaching carousel thread - what openings still need to be filled? Doesn't/didn't seem to be a great deal of movement this year which is a positive for the sport.
Eastern Michigan will need to fill the role vacated by Tisdale moving to FSU.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I am truly shocked to hear about the integrity issues and mismanagement at USF by the coaching staff. I never saw that coming. Mind blowing, really. This is totally new for Mindy and Paul.
SweeptheLeg

Post by SweeptheLeg »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:05 pm

No sir. That was another poster. But I do believe months ago someone asked me about all the negative publicity regarding USF and I summarised it for them. There were quite a few posters on the recruiting thread crushing USF for some of the things they did. It was a lot of negative stuff. Looking back it looks like it is mostly deserved.
We happened to love our visit there. My daughter loved Mindy and Britt. We realised the roster was going to be huge, and some other stuff didn't jive so we looked elsewhere.
Now....That being said, USF does have a credibility problem right now. I am soooooo. interested to see what they do in September. I will say, what is going on right now is exactly what they told incoming recruits was going to happen. I've read it here and I witnessed it personally that they said they would be trimming kids from the 2023 and 2024 commit list. They didn't go into how, but they did say they would not be on the final roster, when we asked about numbers.
I also just heard that last week after that decision came down, they contacted a few kids and gave more money. Whether that's true or not, IDK, the parents could have been exaggerating. Also don't know if it was Athletic or NIL.
USFs 2023-2025 classes were simply “burner” classes. Each being told what they needed to hear to gain their commitment. The 2026 class is supposed to be “the class” and I’m guessing future classes will hear the same thing. Potential commits are special for a moment, but not the future. Their coaches were playing the numbers game to which you were just one. No accountability was needed on their part when they could fall back on unlimited roster sizes. Sounds like you saw through this and high-tailed it out of there. Good move and I think some early departures saw through this as well. With new roster limits their approach will have to change and they will actually have to be genuine relationship builders. May be hard for that crew.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Like Relax, we had a good visit with USF. I'm on the other side of the fence as our feelings though. I have no ill will towards the McCords or their program. They treated us very well and things happen for a reason so here we are. Since most of the talk bashes USF and we do know a few girls going there, I figured I'd do some digging. I can confirm one of the 23's that transferred was told she wouldn't play much in the future so she decided to leave (I do not know if they told her they would cut her however). I've also only heard of 1 2024 that had an offer pulled. As far as I know, the rest are still coming (I don't know that for sure, but I've only heard of one...). As far as the #55, not sure where you're getting that. Current roster says 22 girls. 19 transfers/freshmen coming in putting the roster at 41. 9 25s coming in, BUT 7 girls will be seniors/grad students which would put the roster at 43. So yeah, some trimming will need to be done, but they are certainly not on an island with that. Of course I'm sure they'll bring in some transfers and there will be natural attrition (there are always girls who decide the D1 lax life isn't for them), but some hard decisions will have to be made. But again, this is something MANY programs will have to deal with as we approach 25/26 year.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Seems USF getting a lot of heat on these boards over last year. Maybe fair, maybe not – I don’t know. But were the same people critical of her now also critical of the recruiting approach before USF? Prior to USF, Jacksonville has consistently had over 40 players on roster. 42 in 2020 pre covid, 45 in 2022 - even 43 last year without her. Philosophy consistently appears to have been a large roster. Like any team, probably 18 or so play and the rest don’t. Players (and their parents) should understand that no matter what school they go to. Yes she is guilty of not being prepared for a roster limit cap, but not sure being caught with a major rule change equates to an integrity issue.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:13 am Seems USF getting a lot of heat on these boards over last year. Maybe fair, maybe not – I don’t know. But were the same people critical of her now also critical of the recruiting approach before USF? Prior to USF, Jacksonville has consistently had over 40 players on roster. 42 in 2020 pre covid, 45 in 2022 - even 43 last year without her. Philosophy consistently appears to have been a large roster. Like any team, probably 18 or so play and the rest don’t. Players (and their parents) should understand that no matter what school they go to. Yes she is guilty of not being prepared for a roster limit cap, but not sure being caught with a major rule change equates to an integrity issue.
Honestly the large roster at Jacksonville was one con when it came to comparing schools, BUT we knew that's how they ran their program and expected similar at USF. But we did our research and knew that. So it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. USF will have to trim their roster, along with many other teams next year. They are actually lucky they don't have four full classes of recruits so they'll only have to trim a few. Haven't heard the Hopkins bashing and I thought I read somewhere here they push 50 (I haven't counted so I could be imagining this lol).
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:32 am
forthelaxofit wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:13 am Seems USF getting a lot of heat on these boards over last year. Maybe fair, maybe not – I don’t know. But were the same people critical of her now also critical of the recruiting approach before USF? Prior to USF, Jacksonville has consistently had over 40 players on roster. 42 in 2020 pre covid, 45 in 2022 - even 43 last year without her. Philosophy consistently appears to have been a large roster. Like any team, probably 18 or so play and the rest don’t. Players (and their parents) should understand that no matter what school they go to. Yes she is guilty of not being prepared for a roster limit cap, but not sure being caught with a major rule change equates to an integrity issue.
Honestly the large roster at Jacksonville was one con when it came to comparing schools, BUT we knew that's how they ran their program and expected similar at USF. But we did our research and knew that. So it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. USF will have to trim their roster, along with many other teams next year. They are actually lucky they don't have four full classes of recruits so they'll only have to trim a few. Haven't heard the Hopkins bashing and I thought I read somewhere here they push 50 (I haven't counted so I could be imagining this lol).
Last year Hopkins was at 41. This year they will be at 39. Cuse had 42 last year. With Covid transfers, a lot of schools had inflated rosters the last few years. Things should be dropping back to normal now regardless of the cap of 38.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:49 am
spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:32 am
Last year Hopkins was at 41. This year they will be at 39. Cuse had 42 last year. With Covid transfers, a lot of schools had inflated rosters the last few years. Things should be dropping back to normal now regardless of the cap of 38.
Thanks...I looked at MD when the announcement came out and was surprised to see they were only at about 35 last year. Some clearly won't have issues being within the limit and others will have tough (or not so tough) decisions.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:46 am Like Relax, we had a good visit with USF. I'm on the other side of the fence as our feelings though. I have no ill will towards the McCords or their program. They treated us very well and things happen for a reason so here we are. Since most of the talk bashes USF and we do know a few girls going there, I figured I'd do some digging. I can confirm one of the 23's that transferred was told she wouldn't play much in the future so she decided to leave (I do not know if they told her they would cut her however). I've also only heard of 1 2024 that had an offer pulled. As far as I know, the rest are still coming (I don't know that for sure, but I've only heard of one...). As far as the #55, not sure where you're getting that. Current roster says 22 girls. 19 transfers/freshmen coming in putting the roster at 41. 9 25s coming in, BUT 7 girls will be seniors/grad students which would put the roster at 43. So yeah, some trimming will need to be done, but they are certainly not on an island with that. Of course I'm sure they'll bring in some transfers and there will be natural attrition (there are always girls who decide the D1 lax life isn't for them), but some hard decisions will have to be made. But again, this is something MANY programs will have to deal with as we approach 25/26 year.
I have no ill will towards them. Like I said. They were great. I just call the program like it is. Mindy would love for FSU to take some of their lower ranked players to make their decision easier. They would love not to play the bad guy and not have to cut 5-7 players. That’s not a negative thing on them.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:12 pm
I have no ill will towards them. Like I said. They were great. I just call the program like it is. Mindy would love for FSU to take some of their lower ranked players to make their decision easier. They would love not to play the bad guy and not have to cut 5-7 players. That’s not a negative thing on them.
For the record, didn't think you did have ill will ;) Just perhaps more skeptical than me. lol
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:14 pm
For the record, didn't think you did have ill will ;) Just perhaps more skeptical than me. lol
Whew. I thought maybe it was coming out wrong. Like you I spoke to a few parents and they are ecstatic with USF. They also recently had their offer upped for as they say, no reason. I am more skeptical about their tactics and the way they ran things after speaking to a lot of parents, but they will be fine. They just have to get through the bad taste they left in the mouth with the club directors. But they’re in on the scam anyway. No one is gonna steer their kids away from any D1 team that wants to add their kids.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:20 pm
Whew. I thought maybe it was coming out wrong. Like you I spoke to a few parents and they are ecstatic with USF. They also recently had their offer upped for as they say, no reason. I am more skeptical about their tactics and the way they ran things after speaking to a lot of parents, but they will be fine. They just have to get through the bad taste they left in the mouth with the club directors. But they’re in on the scam anyway. No one is gonna steer their kids away from any D1 team that wants to add their kids.
The amount of backdoor deals I've seen lately, "scam" is the perfect word.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

I’m guessing the upped offers were the result of multiple players leaving unexpectedly, which caught the coaches off guard. This would free up some scholarship money.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:52 pm
I’m guessing the upped offers were the result of multiple players leaving unexpectedly, which caught the coaches off guard. This would free up some scholarship money.
I didn’t ask. Was thinking it was NIL money. It could’ve been what you said. Who knows?
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:43 am

I am truly shocked to hear about the integrity issues and mismanagement at USF by the coaching staff. I never saw that coming. Mind blowing, really. This is totally new for Mindy and Paul.
We dealt with Britt. She was not on the up and up.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

SweeptheLeg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:53 am
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:05 pm

USFs 2023-2025 classes were simply “burner” classes. Each being told what they needed to hear to gain their commitment. The 2026 class is supposed to be “the class” and I’m guessing future classes will hear the same thing. Potential commits are special for a moment, but not the future. Their coaches were playing the numbers game to which you were just one. No accountability was needed on their part when they could fall back on unlimited roster sizes. Sounds like you saw through this and high-tailed it out of there. Good move and I think some early departures saw through this as well. With new roster limits their approach will have to change and they will actually have to be genuine relationship builders. May be hard for that crew.
This is pretty much right on the money. Although she said the 2025 would be “the class.” “The catalysts for the USF program is the 2025’s.”

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”