Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
lax

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by lax »

Midwestlaxmomma wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:13 am Anyone know where Brice Queener from Denver went?
Guessing YOU know as he is still on staff on the website
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:54 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:38 pm
NotFromMD wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:10 pm Sara Tisdale announced as FSU head coach (via X)
Rumors of MAC were true. Interesting choice.
The word interesting can mean so many things
Interesting = wow. Outside the box.
Interesting =Certainly not the splash some where hoping for but a good choice.
Interesting = Not the direction I thought they would go.
Interesting =What the heck

😁
Interesting in this context is they chose the coach that had started two programs rather than a splashy name.

Kwolek at Clemson wasn’t a splashy name, either. Time will tell for this hire.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I am not sure I would put Tisdale's record up against Kwolek's at the time the latter was hired at Clemson:

Before Clemson, Kwolek has served as head coach at the University of Richmond since 2013, which includes a 64-16 (.800) winning percentage, a 27-5 conference record and two conference tournament and two league regular-season championships in the past five seasons. Richmond was nationally ranked in the top-10 each of the last two seasons and has qualified for the NCAA postseason in two of the last three tournaments, which doesn’t include the 2020 season in which the Spiders started 7-0 and defeated No. 6 UVa before the season was cut short due to COVID-19. The Spiders have enjoyed their most successful run in their program’s history under Kwolek’s leadership. When the William and Mary graduate took over the program in 2013, Richmond had accumulated just 10 winning seasons since their inaugural season in 1983. Kwolek racked up seven winning records in her nine seasons as the head coach.

Per press release Tisdale is 114-86 for her career. Not exactly apples to apples, IMHO.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:09 am
Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:54 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:38 pm
NotFromMD wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:10 pm Sara Tisdale announced as FSU head coach (via X)
Rumors of MAC were true. Interesting choice.
The word interesting can mean so many things
Interesting = wow. Outside the box.
Interesting =Certainly not the splash some where hoping for but a good choice.
Interesting = Not the direction I thought they would go.
Interesting =What the heck

😁
Interesting in this context is they chose the coach that had started two programs rather than a splashy name.

Kwolek at Clemson wasn’t a splashy name, either. Time will tell for this hire.
There is simply no comparison between Kwolek's hire at Clemson and this hire. Kwolek's Richmond teams were in the top ten nationally in both of her final seasons. I understand the point you are making about Kwolek not being a splash, but within the sport people knew it to be a REALLY strong hire. I don't think any of the other ACC teams are particularly concerned after this hire. Just being honest.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Comparing a head coaching role at Richmond to Central Michigan or Eastern isn't fair, either. The Richmond program had long been established and there was already interest in the school from players.

While I have no skin in this game, Sara's overall record includes 4 years as the program starter at Augustana College (D3), then starting Central's program, eventually moving on to Eastern. She did win two conference championships at Central before taking the start-up role at Eastern.

She knows how to start a program, I'll give her that. I wouldn't expect anyone in the ACC to be worried, but let's not make her out to be a complete nobody. I don't think MAC schools are throwing around the same money as Clemson, either, but let's be real. Kwolek has built her program on transfers, not organic growth.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Think this is a moot point without knowing who they spoke to and who passed on it. If she was their first choice than my interesting comment would mean W T F.
Dad2laxgirls

Post by Dad2laxgirls »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:02 pm Comparing a head coaching role at Richmond to Central Michigan or Eastern isn't fair, either. The Richmond program had long been established and there was already interest in the school from players.

While I have no skin in this game, Sara's overall record includes 4 years as the program starter at Augustana College (D3), then starting Central's program, eventually moving on to Eastern. She did win two conference championships at Central before taking the start-up role at Eastern.

She knows how to start a program, I'll give her that. I wouldn't expect anyone in the ACC to be worried, but let's not make her out to be a complete nobody. I don't think MAC schools are throwing around the same money as Clemson, either, but let's be real. Kwolek has built her program on transfers, not organic growth.
I was following only a bit of the logic until the very end when you mentioned Kwolek built programs by transfers. Not sure if you are specifically referring to Richmond or Clemson. If Richmond, the portal didn’t even exist until the 2019 season and Richmond was also a top 10 recruiting class in that same year. If you are talking about Clemson, of course they need transfers to actually start a program but their first 3 recruiting classes combined(23,24,25) are arguably top 10 as well. Not sure how you get more organic than that
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:23 pm Think this is a moot point without knowing who they spoke to and who passed on it. If she was their first choice than my interesting comment would mean W T F.
Oh, What the heck is totally acceptable here. I think it means coaches with better pedigrees, etc., passed on the role.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

the Tisdale hire is a bit underwhelming in context to the other candidates that were rumored to be in contention. Will be hard if not impossible to repeat what clemson has done. However..she's still a good coach. i expect her to land solid players.
25and32LaxDad

Post by 25and32LaxDad »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:57 pm the Tisdale hire is a bit underwhelming in context to the other candidates that were rumored to be in contention. Will be hard if not impossible to repeat what clemson has done. However..she's still a good coach. i expect her to land solid players.
Interested to know how given its August a year prior to year 1. It will be interesting to watch and see how she fills the roster to field a team fall of 2025.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

25and32LaxDad wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:24 am
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:57 pm the Tisdale hire is a bit underwhelming in context to the other candidates that were rumored to be in contention. Will be hard if not impossible to repeat what clemson has done. However..she's still a good coach. i expect her to land solid players.
Interested to know how given its August a year prior to year 1. It will be interesting to watch and see how she fills the roster to field a team fall of 2025.
I wonder how many FSU Club kids are making that team.
SweeptheLeg

Post by SweeptheLeg »

25and32LaxDad wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:24 am
Have the ‘25s signed their LOI yet? If not, I suspect FLSt won’t have a problem getting players to flip. I believe the next transfer portal opens in December, so they will grab players then plus they’ll add more from the transfer portal following the Spring 2025 season. Not ideal, but doable.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

2025s haven't signed yet. But the excitement of a new program is a strong pull for players. If Pitt and Clemson were able to land solid transfers, FSU will have no problem. Look for the florida programs to get raided. (Florida,Jacksonville)
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:47 am 2025s haven't signed yet. But the excitement of a new program is a strong pull for players. If Pitt and Clemson were able to land solid transfers, FSU will have no problem. Look for the florida programs to get raided. (Florida,Jacksonville)
Hard to imagine too many Florida girls making the switch unless they’re very unhappy. I think we could see some girls from some of the big D2 rosters down there in Florida making the switch.

Yes it’s a new program with some excitement but it feels pretty different than some of the other launches. The school doesn’t seem to be rolling out the red carpet for the team. I don’t know how much kids look at 2adays but this coach’s reviews are pretty bad - my kid wouldn’t be clamoring to make a switch after reading that. I’m sure there are 25’s who aren’t thrilled with their current commitment who will jump over though.
cdb

Post by cdb »

This is one of the toughest boards I have been part of. But, I do think that when a coach is building up a newer program, she has to have more than just coaching skills -- she has to be able to excite the alumni to build fan support and financial support for the program. It is most difficult to build a new program without great financial support of the school. GA Tech just announced it raised a record setting amount of money for the school and for NIL -- many of those donations were for a million or more. Florida State hasn't been able to do that yet. I would hope that with such a large alumni base it can generate more money, but I am not privy to how they go about raising money from alumni.

However, when Coach Acacia came to BC, they had very few winning seasons and NCAA tournament appearances -- no one thought anything the hire -- it was just another hire -- but she built that program by herself -- so, this coach can do it, too -- if she has the same marketing abilities of Coach Walker-Weinstein. Time will tell. I am willing to wait and see how she does. I will say that coaches who are connected to the MD program have done very well when they take the reins at other schools.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

lax wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:09 am
Midwestlaxmomma wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:13 am Anyone know where Brice Queener from Denver went?
He’s going to be the head coach at Univ Colorado Colo Springs.
SweeptheLeg

Post by SweeptheLeg »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:47 am 2025s haven't signed yet. But the excitement of a new program is a strong pull for players. If Pitt and Clemson were able to land solid transfers, FSU will have no problem. Look for the florida programs to get raided. (Florida,Jacksonville)
USF is the first program they should raid. They will need to cut 10-11 players in the next year to meet the new roster limits. FSU will have immediate access to players who have spent a year or more in a D1 system, balancing practice with school. That’s a big adjustment for some.

USF may even have players enter the portal this December given they will be pushing 40 players, so even more immediate access for FSU. Something seems off with USF given 25% of their initial class of commits plus transfers voluntarily left. Someone also posted their 2024 class had a handful leave. 2025s still have time to flip.

FSU could benefit by taking players for the other FL schools and agree some D2 players would be good pickups. The FL D2 programs are strong. May not be the ultimate answer, but a good way to hit the ground running for FSU.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

lax wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:09 am
Just announced Head Coach at UCCS (D2)
https://gomountainlions.com/news/2024/7 ... coach.aspx
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

SweeptheLeg wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:54 am
USF is the first program they should raid. They will need to cut 10-11 players in the next year to meet the new roster limits. FSU will have immediate access to players who have spent a year or more in a D1 system, balancing practice with school. That’s a big adjustment for some.

USF may even have players enter the portal this December given they will be pushing 40 players, so even more immediate access for FSU. Something seems off with USF given 25% of their initial class of commits plus transfers voluntarily left. Someone also posted their 2024 class had a handful leave. 2025s still have time to flip.

FSU could benefit by taking players for the other FL schools and agree some D2 players would be good pickups. The FL D2 programs are strong. May not be the ultimate answer, but a good way to hit the ground running for FSU.
They will 100% go after USF. And Mindy and Britt will gladly thank them and hold the door open for them and send Tisdale a gift basket.
lax

Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by lax »

Since this is the coaching carousel thread - what openings still need to be filled? Doesn't/didn't seem to be a great deal of movement this year which is a positive for the sport.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”