Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by kramerica.inc »

Scholarships will likely exacerbate the haves and have nots.
But roster limits will be interesting to watch.
Especially coming off of these massively bloated covid-eligibility rosters.
Hopkins carried what, 60 kids this year? What 12 are you cutting to get to 48? Much less wiggle room when building a roster.
Coaches are gonna have to coach again, and get better at recruiting. Talent will trickle down and may make for some interesting dark horse teams.
And there may be schools that change their spending on a y2y basis - pool their scholarships for the right recruiting classes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:00 am Scholarships will likely exacerbate the haves and have nots.
Hopkins carried what, 60 kids this year? What 12 are you cutting to get to 48? Much less wiggle room when building a roster.
Coaches are gonna have to coach again, and get better at recruiting. Talent will trickle down and may make for some interesting dark horse teams.
And there may be schools that change their spending on a y2y basis - pool their scholarships for the right recruiting classes.
unless hopkins starts paying players out of the athletic department coffers, they don't have to worry about roster caps.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:00 am Scholarships will likely exacerbate the haves and have nots.
If the new rules existed for this year-60 kids on 2024 Hopkins take 12 out, minimum. I'm thinking they probably take more than 12 off this roster because they want a few more high end guys on scholarships.

You take some of these guys off-how many are hurting us on other teams?

Grad-Goalie-Patrick Moore Transfer from Lynchburg
Sr-Cam Chauvette A/M
Sr-Marcelo Arteaga ssdm
Jr-Jo Jo Todaro ssdm
Jr-Stuart Phillips-middie
Jr-Brackton Browler
so-alec billings-ssdm
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:19 am
If the new rules existed for this year-60 kids on 2024 Hopkins take 12 out, minimum. I'm thinking they probably take more than 12 off this roster because they want a few more high end guys on scholarships.

You take some of these guys off-how many are hurting us on other teams?

Grad-Goalie-Patrick Moore Transfer from Lynchburg
Sr-Cam Chauvette A/M
Sr-Marcelo Arteaga ssdm
Jr-Jo Jo Todaro ssdm
Jr-Stuart Phillips-middie
Jr-Brackton Browler
so-alec billings-ssdm
you really don't have to be so quick to roll blue jays under the bus.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:00 am Hopkins carried what, 60 kids this year? What 12 are you cutting to get to 48? Much less wiggle room when building a roster.
They won't have to cut 12. What matters is roster size at the end of next season, assuming the new limit is enforced. They're on track to have about 53 barring transfers in or out. By my count Loyola is likely to have more than that because of the gargantuan freshman class coming in.

My guess is you'll see some teams ask 2025 recruits to reclass. The days of classes bigger than 12 kids or so are probably over.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:19 am You take some of these guys off-how many are hurting us on other teams?
Your parents don't love you
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:25 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:00 am Hopkins carried what, 60 kids this year? What 12 are you cutting to get to 48? Much less wiggle room when building a roster.
They won't have to cut 12. What matters is roster size at the end of next season, assuming the new limit is enforced. They're on track to have about 53 barring transfers in or out. By my count Loyola is likely to have more than that because of the gargantuan freshman class coming in.

My guess is you'll see some teams ask 2025 recruits to reclass. The days of classes bigger than 12 kids or so are probably over.
Makes sense.

Loyola had 52 last year. Lost 22 SRs and Grad students. Have 19 freshman and a syracuse transfer set to come in. Toomey has always been a stickler on roster size, from what I've heard. Sometimes infuriatingly so.

I think this trend for kids to reclass and take a prep year AFTER HS made sense because of the bloated roster sizes due to covid years and opening the floodgates of the portal. But it makes much less sense now with roster size normalizing. It's also much more risk for the kid.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:37 am

Makes sense.

Loyola had 52 last year. Lost 22 SRs and Grad students. Have 19 freshman and a syracuse transfer set to come in. Toomey has always been a stickler on roster size, from what I've heard. Sometimes infuriatingly so.

I think this trend for kids to reclass and take a prep year AFTER HS made sense because of the bloated roster sizes due to covid years and opening the floodgates of the portal. But it makes much less sense now with roster size normalizing. It's also much more risk for the kid.
guys:
"Those that are not defendants — schools and conferences in the Group of Five, FCS and non-football playing Division I programs — are bound by the roster limits, reporting system and enforcement mechanism only if they choose to share revenue with athletes. They can opt out of the new model if they decline to share revenue."

unless hopkins and loyola want to pay their athletes directly, they will not have to worry about roster size. is it a possibility they may want to? i guess so, but sounds like a leap. just use nil.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:19 am You take some of these guys off-how many are hurting us on other teams?
Your parents don't love you
If you've paid attention I've never made it personal with you. Clean it up. And yes they do-most of the time.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Makes sense.

What is the value for a recruited student athlete to be the 60th member of a team? What is the value to Hopkins of having some kid who wants to go there for academic reasons lose his/her slot so that PM can have a 10th ssdm?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:04 am

Makes sense.

What is the value for a recruited student athlete to be the 60th member of a team? What is the value to Hopkins of having some kid who wants to go there for academic reasons lose his/her slot so that PM can have a 10th ssdm?
The 60th athlete?
Debatable value for the 60th member themselves. Mostly personal.
Not much value for Hopkins University.
Higher value for PM and coaching staff. A safeguard for the team in case of injury, bad recruiting, and an opportunity to find diamond in rough.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

While there was a speedbump that needed to be taken care of, Scott Smith will be back next year. Hadn't been announced yet due to a potential hiccup but all is good on that front.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:09 am I would think there has to be ny - otherwise if you could just nod you head and put forth "Wink Wink Say No More" the amount of abuse (in football) would have been rampant. I seem to recall - at the end of Petro's term when Hopkins was penalized for some minor financial aid violations - the major one was around timing and decisions of renewing schalarships but there was also this - what seemed silly at the time - "Additionally, a clerical error led to both programs exceeding the maximum team scholarship limits by a slight amount." This was tied to some figures about what was spent for textbooks IIRC. So it seems there is some accounting of funds out - so logical to think they need to see funds in.
I generally don't know the answer. Moving money from one pocket of the institution (the athletic department?) to another pocket of the institution doesn't seem entirely necessary.

I would say at prep schools, which is obviously much less regulated, most scholarships aren't "funded" - the schools just charge kids less or not at all.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:17 am While there was a speedbump that needed to be taken care of, Scott Smith will be back next year. Hadn't been announced yet due to a potential hiccup but all is good on that front.
Was getting a little nervous since they haven't announced him as officially coming back (like they have with Bauer, Deans, etc.) so this is excellent news.

It's rare that a player can be a 1st Team All American but still make you feel like he has room to grow. With Zapitello graduated, Smith should be in the mix for the Schmeisser. His cover ability is well documented but I thought his work off the ground went underappreciated. 56 GBs for a close defenseman who did not play many FO wings last year is a big big number.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://x.com/kevbrown89/status/1817614480223748583

Luke Stickler has a cannon of a shot.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:30 pm https://x.com/kevbrown89/status/1817614480223748583

Did the other recruits do anything in the game?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:30 pm https://x.com/kevbrown89/status/1817614480223748583

I watched bits and pieces. Thought Kaestner looked good, these are not real games and you can't evaluate anyone but he had a goal in transition in which he switched to his left and and pinged a corner lefty — looked cool.

Also watched the New Balance game the other night which was a snoozefest despite the final score. Low energy, not as fun as usual. Hobot started off hot at the X, winning 5 of his first 6 but kinda trailed off from there, think he finished a hair below 50% though had multiple caused turnovers.

When he's got space to operate McCleary simply blows by whoever is in front of him but he played too unselfish for an all-star game, actually tried to move the ball and play real offense. Think he only took like one shot, which went wide. His team was running three midfield lines and you can count the number of times he got to touch the ball during a settled set on one hand. So much of the game is played unsettled and in transition that the o-middies don't get to do a whole lot. Explosiveness is as advertised though.

This class does not have as much fanfare as the last one but I think they are quietly very good with multiple guys in line to make an impact sooner rather than later.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:53 pm

I watched bits and pieces. Thought Kaestner looked good, these are not real games and you can't evaluate anyone but he had a goal in transition in which he switched to his left and and pinged a corner lefty — looked cool.

Also watched the New Balance game the other night which was a snoozefest despite the final score. Low energy, not as fun as usual. Hobot started off hot at the X, winning 5 of his first 6 but kinda trailed off from there, think he finished a hair below 50% though had multiple caused turnovers.

When he's got space to operate McCleary simply blows by whoever is in front of him but he played too unselfish for an all-star game, actually tried to move the ball and play real offense. Think he only took like one shot, which went wide. His team was running three midfield lines and you can count the number of times he got to touch the ball during a settled set on one hand. So much of the game is played unsettled and in transition that the o-middies don't get to do a whole lot. Explosiveness is as advertised though.

This class does not have as much fanfare as the last one but I think they are quietly very good with multiple guys in line to make an impact sooner rather than later.
Good to know. Hope Hobot comes in and is a strong contributor.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I just saw the Kevin Brown (who works for IL tweet) about stickler. I leave recruiting to 16, 51 and those of you who follow it.

Boyle was on campus after I graduated. I don't follow Drexel but excited to see what he and Tucker Durkin can do. Voelker was a name I thought mentioned for the Hopkins job on here but I don't know what consideration he was given.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Andrew Cook got a shout out for holding the North to 2 goals in the half and 0 for the second quarter in the Adrenaline game. I'm sure this was posted before but in case someone missed it
https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/hi ... layer-year

The goalie room may be getting some long term talent in the next few classes

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”