House v NCAA

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Young Warrior

Re: House v NCAA

Post by Young Warrior »

Say I was a billionaire lax alum of some school.my read is that basically you can have the whole team on full scholly, if you had the money.
Cool, I’m rich, I’ll endow about 35-40 more full rides, we will get everybody and dominate.
Unlikely but can this happen?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:48 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:54 am being on partial scholarship shouldn't matter.

the roster limits for these sports are pretty high. i'm surprised as i wonder why they're even making them now. if some school wants to have 70 lax players, why would the nc$$ care? all of this to avoid darrell royal stories? it goes from looking like a cost cutting measure to i don't know what.

if they get sued and lose... ok, no roster limits. strategy for a bit would likely be figuring out the plaintiff's # and signing an nda.
There are multiple reasons. A lot of the rules the NCAA make need to consider lower levels. One reason helmet radios took so long to come to CFB. Arguments were made that lower schools could not afford the additional cost (not sure valid). Most sports try to make sure there is some kind of level playing field. Having unlimited rosters would completely destroy any notion of fair play and could result in greater injury risk for teams that can not afford more players. There is a reason that roster limits exist in virtually every sport. High school teams are separated by the size of the pool they draw from. It’s completely common. This isn’t even an NCAA issue. Most of their budget is from CBB tournament. Schools are the ones that want to control costs. Most athletic budgets are not fully funded. Without reasonable limits college sports are going to be negatively affected and we will see sports dropped. You may just be left with revenue sports eventually. And the opportunities even in those sports will be diminished, as super teams become the norm. The idea of unlimited rosters is one that only makes sense in text books and completely ignores the real world
my point on this particular post was that the nc$$ had set these roster caps so high that they seem de minimis for any tertiary gain. in costs, or competitiveness, etc. imo. so i don't understand what the purpose is, really.

i'm not complaining, was expecting to be all up in arms that the cartel was taking large swipes @ sports that didn't drive their engine. the engine that they pleaded in front of the scotus was all about amateurism. as it is, these caps have me non-plussed. i think they sucked me in!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Young Warrior wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:49 am Say I was a billionaire lax alum of some school.my read is that basically you can have the whole team on full scholly, if you had the money.
Cool, I’m rich, I’ll endow about 35-40 more full rides, we will get everybody and dominate.
yes.

i'd say there will definitely be some schools whose scholly numbers are going to pop. as u say, with all the other demands of an athletic department during this phase of transition, i would expect a lot or most of it to be funded by "friends of" in the intermediate term. so yeah, the most enthusiastic boosters are probably going to be scoring some recruits. be prepared for an uptick in alumni letters. dubious on 48 full rides or anything approaching it, but ya never know.

thank god tsai went to yale.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:51 am
Young Warrior wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:49 am Say I was a billionaire lax alum of some school.my read is that basically you can have the whole team on full scholly, if you had the money.
yes.

i'd say there will definitely be some schools whose scholly numbers are going to pop. as u say, with all the other demands of an athletic department during this phase of transition, i would expect a lot or most of it to be funded by "friends of" in the intermediate term. so yeah, the most enthusiastic boosters are probably going to be scoring some recruits. be prepared for an uptick in alumni letters. dubious on 48 full rides or anything approaching it, but ya never know.

This is the biggest worry. It took about 30 seconds for people to figure out how to do an end around on NIL constraints. It is now just legalized bag game. I am not too worried about Yale. Talk to Andy Schay and he will tell you his admission office is his biggest hurdle. Have to worry about schools that will throw the money around and lower admission standards. Likely going to come from schools that do not have traditionally competitive revenue sports.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

coda wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:38 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:51 am
yes.

This is the biggest worry. It took about 30 seconds for people to figure out how to do an end around on NIL constraints. It is now just legalized bag game. I am not too worried about Yale. Talk to Andy Schay and he will tell you his admission office is his biggest hurdle. Have to worry about schools that will throw the money around and lower admission standards. Likely going to come from schools that do not have traditionally competitive revenue sports.
I wonder what schools have the funds and are willing to lower admissions standards, however?
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

They don’t have to lower admissions standards.
Take someone like Michigan.
Great school, but lots of east coast kids might not chose it (assume they could get in so this is like for like)
All of the sudden the Joe Tsai of Michigan gets involved and now everyone has almost full rides.
Much tougher decision and you are effectively compensating for weather, location etc.

I’m not saying this is likely, but it is also not unrealistic.
Just takes one rich alum.
See what Pegula did for PSU hockey
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Young Warrior wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 2:45 pm They don’t have to lower admissions standards.
Great school, but lots of east coast kids might not chose it (assume they could get in so this is like for like)
All of the sudden the Joe Tsai of Michigan gets involved and now everyone has almost full rides.
Much tougher decision and you are effectively compensating for weather, location etc.

I feel like NIL already distorts things. A rich alum can effectively give kids full rides + more already via NIL even before this ruling.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

We’re at a point where top college players could potentially make more money from lacrosse (scholarship plus NIL) than the top professional lacrosse players.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:20 pm We’re at a point where top college players could potentially make more money from lacrosse (scholarship plus NIL) than the top professional lacrosse players.

you shouldn't shock so easily. lacrosse isn't really like any other sport i can think of off the top of my head. never has been. not even volleyball or skateboarding.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:41 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:20 pm We’re at a point where top college players could potentially make more money from lacrosse (scholarship plus NIL) than the top professional lacrosse players.

you shouldn't shock so easily. lacrosse isn't really like any other sport i can think of off the top of my head. never has been. not even volleyball or skateboarding.
All pro stuff aside is college is the best out there. Notwithstanding thus years final four.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
coda

Post by coda »

I think that point has been passed already for a select few
coda

Post by coda »

I think that point has been passed already for a select few
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Any of the, admittedly few, players who have been on full scholarship have been making more than many/most professionals for many years. And agree that it’s not actually crazy. Salaries in sports track with fan interest, this is why NBA players, who league brings in ~50x the revenue of the WNBA ($10 billion vs $200 million) rightly make vastly more than WNBA players. College lax is and has always been much mor popular than pro. That doesn’t mean it has always been well monetized but it makes much more economic and common sense for a college lax player to earn comparable or more money than, say a college star at UConn vs the NBA.
coda

Post by coda »

Young Warrior wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 2:45 pm They don’t have to lower admissions standards.

If Stephen Ross decided lacrosse mattered. Michigan would be a lacrosse power. Not many schools that can offer that level education in a big university with big time sports in a legit college town. Not going to happen. Biggest reason being their revenue sports are legit and are going to pull the majority of NIL funds. Not to mention they don’t have much influence with admissions for the same reason. Much more likely at Hopkins, where there is no competition for NIL dollars. Cuse would be on the list. Those 2 have also been rumored to be the most aggressive in NIL in lacrosse
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

coda wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 7:17 pm

If Stephen Ross decided lacrosse mattered. Michigan would be a lacrosse power. Not many schools that can offer that level education in a big university with big time sports in a legit college town. Not going to happen. Biggest reason being their revenue sports are legit and are going to pull the majority of NIL funds. Not to mention they don’t have much influence with admissions for the same reason. Much more likely at Hopkins, where there is no competition for NIL dollars. Cuse would be on the list. Those 2 have also been rumored to be the most aggressive in NIL in lacrosse
Hopkins to date has done exactly the opposite of lowering admissions standards to the consternation of some on the Hopkins coaching staff.

I don't see them reversing course.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 7:15 pm Any of the, admittedly few, players who have been on full scholarship have been making more than many/most professionals for many years. And agree that it’s not actually crazy. Salaries in sports track with fan interest, this is why NBA players, who league brings in ~50x the revenue of the WNBA ($10 billion vs $200 million) rightly make vastly more than WNBA players. College lax is and has always been much mor popular than pro. That doesn’t mean it has always been well monetized but it makes much more economic and common sense for a college lax player to earn comparable or more money than, say a college star at UConn vs the NBA.
Not so sure College is more popular at this point most team’s average less than 1,000 fans per game with the top barely averaging 4,000. There are really bad basketball teams that triple that. In the NCAA’s eyes lacrosse is basically irrelevant they don’t care about it.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:36 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 7:15 pm Any of the, admittedly few, players who have been on full scholarship have been making more than many/most professionals for many years. And agree that it’s not actually crazy. Salaries in sports track with fan interest, this is why NBA players, who league brings in ~50x the revenue of the WNBA ($10 billion vs $200 million) rightly make vastly more than WNBA players. College lax is and has always been much mor popular than pro. That doesn’t mean it has always been well monetized but it makes much more economic and common sense for a college lax player to earn comparable or more money than, say a college star at UConn vs the NBA.
Not so sure College is more popular at this point most team’s average less than 1,000 fans per game with the top barely averaging 4,000. There are really bad basketball teams that triple that. In the NCAA’s eyes lacrosse is basically irrelevant they don’t care about it.
? I wasn’t comparing lacrosse to basketball but college lacrosse vs pro lacrosse as opposed to college basketball va pro basketball. In the small world of lacrosse fans, college is vastly more popular (and important as to who you are most excited to see win). Which is why even a full scholarship, forget NIL, is more money than most pro players have made.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 7:17 pm

Having worked with vornados highest levels incl Ross in the past I think you want to pick another rich alum example. He’s not funding lacrosse
brodad

Post by brodad »

How will this affect a school like Hobart which is still gradually working its way toward 12 scholarships?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:50 am How will this affect a school like Hobart which is still gradually working its way toward 12 scholarships?
They allowed us school ones after the scotus ruling. We now to them for D3 though so they can mess with us. We can’t have a d3 FB player get athletic money (directly from the colleges)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”