The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:33 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:04 am Happy Sunday. Do we still have basic agreement on these ten precepts?

1. Democracies rest on rule of law; someone who denies the sanctity of the Constitution and serially violates our laws cannot be president.

2. Democracy cannot survive without truth, facts, science and evidence.

3. Free and fair elections are the essence of democracy, where power resides in the people.

4. Civil discourse must be the means to resolve differences; compromise is essential to governance.

5. A democratic government cannot operate without an independent, nonpartisan civil service, and subject matter expertise is essential to good government.

6. An ethical government free from corruption and self-interest is essential to our democracy.

7. The United States is the indispensable nation for international stability, economic prosperity and democracy. Our military takes an oath to the Constitution, not to a single leader.

8. Democracies require and ensure widespread prosperity. Democracies that deliver economically for citizens require a domestic calm, commitment to the rule of law and opposition to cronyism.

9. A vibrant, independent and free press is vital to democracy.

10. Equality and civil rights (“All men [and women] are created …”) are foundational to our American creed.
All well and good except "While often categorized as a democracy, the United States is more accurately defined as a constitutional federal republic." (lifted from our federal government's website). Weren't the founders exceedingly wary of democracies? Would not our current state of affairs convince them their worst fears are being realized? Why are politicians today so relentless about using the D word (democracy) instead of the R word (republic)?

And what have we seen (more glaringly than ever in the last decade) that suggests once a punitive-minded democratic majority (initially principled but devolved into a semblance of what we see today - both sides) gains power that they won't weaponize against their opposition, and engage in activities with the sole purpose of consolidating and extending rule/power?

Now and again I read what I feel is an excellent Cliffs Notes history and "how we got here" essay from 2011 on the whole Democracy vs. Republic thing. The only thing that's out of date is how much worse things have gotten between 2011 and today.

https://www.cato.org/commentary/democra ... us-liberty

I do understand your post put forth an earnest intention and desire for more productive and connective dialogues. Against the backdrop of today's worsening, more toxic, and more divided than ever before social, political and economic American landscape, I am left to wonder if we'll ever break free of bunkered and punishment minded discourse (ie: Democratic rule but with a resentful, reptilian brain).

Of your list above, #9 left the building before most of us were born!

Certainly a good Sunday coffee food for thought list.
Our press is equivalent to Cuba, Russia, China and North Korea, for instance? It’s run by the State? The closest thing to that was FoxNews during the Trump administration.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:29 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:59 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:57 am trump has been a d**k head for decades. IMO when it is your guy doing the lying and bullchiting that is okay
What trump has sadly proven is you can be that kind of person and an increasing number of voters are jiggy with it. All is fair in love, war and politics it now looks like. It has been worse in our nations history. Some political discourse was settled with dueling pistols at 10 paces. Alexander Hamilton found that out the harder. GHWB was incorrect when he shared his vision of a kinder gentler nation. That ship sailed a long time ago possibly never to return to port. :roll:
When has this country ever been kinder and gentler? The only thing we understand is a foot on the neck. You would not want me in charge.
That was GHWBs vision. I'm now 66 years old and kinder and gentler has never been something I've seen all that much. When my kids were little kinder and gentler was what Mr Rogers Neighborhood was all about. That's about as close as I remember in real life. Wait I have to add Bob Ross into the equation. My wife always pokes fun at me when I watch The Joy of Painting. I wish I had the demeanor of Bob Ross. We do both an unending love of animals.
You are delusional.
No way, my wife had me tested.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:39 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:04 am Happy Sunday. Do we still have basic agreement on these ten precepts?

1. Democracies rest on rule of law; someone who denies the sanctity of the Constitution and serially violates our laws cannot be president.

3. Free and fair elections are the essence of democracy, where power resides in the people.

4. Civil discourse must be the means to resolve differences; compromise is essential to governance.

5. A democratic government cannot operate without an independent, nonpartisan civil service, and subject matter expertise is essential to good government.

6. An ethical government free from corruption and self-interest is essential to our democracy.

7. The United States is the indispensable nation for international stability, economic prosperity and democracy. Our military takes an oath to the Constitution, not to a single leader.

8. Democracies require and ensure widespread prosperity. Democracies that deliver economically for citizens require a domestic calm, commitment to the rule of law and opposition to cronyism.

10. Equality and civil rights (“All men [and women] are created …”) are foundational to our American creed.
All well and good except "While often categorized as a democracy, the United States is more accurately defined as a constitutional federal republic." (lifted from our federal government's website). Weren't the founders exceedingly wary of democracies? Would not our current state of affairs convince them their worst fears are being realized? Why are politicians today so relentless about using the D word (democracy) instead of the R word (republic)?

And what have we seen (more glaringly than ever in the last decade) that suggests once a punitive-minded democratic majority (initially principled but devolved into a semblance of what we see today - both sides) gains power that they won't weaponize against their opposition, and engage in activities with the sole purpose of consolidating and extending rule/power?

Now and again I read what I feel is an excellent Cliffs Notes history and "how we got here" essay from 2011 on the whole Democracy vs. Republic thing. The only thing that's out of date is how much worse things have gotten between 2011 and today.

I do understand your post put forth an earnest intention and desire for more productive and connective dialogues. Against the backdrop of today's worsening, more toxic, and more divided than ever before social, political and economic American landscape, I am left to wonder if we'll ever break free of bunkered and punishment minded discourse (ie: Democratic rule but with a resentful, reptilian brain).

Our press is equivalent to Cuba, Russia, China and North Korea, for instance? It’s run by the State? The closest thing to that was FoxNews during the Trump administration.
Was Fox News ever responsible for anyone being executed as an enemy of the state? I'm certain Lester Holt of NBC Nightly News wouldn't have let that gone unreported. :D
Bob Ross:
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

To answer your two questions: No and No. I agree with the premise of #9. In terms of much of mainstream media - regardless of lean - color me extremely skeptical, wary, and in many instances downright disgusted.

Do you feel the techniques deployed by the state run media of the countries you list have never been present to any degree in our media ecosystem outside of the Fox/Trump administration era?
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:54 pm

To answer your two questions: No and No. I agree with the premise of #9. In terms of much of mainstream media - regardless of lean - color me extremely skeptical, wary, and in many instances downright disgusted.

Do you feel the techniques deployed by the state run media of the countries you list have never been present to any degree in our media ecosystem outside of the Fox/Trump administration era?
Blaming Fox News is traditionally the fall back position of certain members of this forum. Mention MSNBC in a similar vain and the long knives will come out.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

We don’t have State run media. We have a free press and it can
CHOOSE to be biased. You want the press to be “objective”. It never has been and never will be. We have a free press. FoxNews was operating in Propaganda territory during the Trump years.
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:56 am Image
Revelation 13:3

And I saw that one of his heads was, as it were, wounded to death, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world wondered after the beast.
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:56 am Image
Revelation 13:3

And I saw that one of his heads was, as it were, wounded to death, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world wondered after the beast.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:15 pm

CHOOSE to be biased. You want the press to be “objective”. It never has been and never will be. We have a free press. FoxNews was operating in Propaganda territory during the Trump years.
You seem to have consciously uncoupled free press (consolidated and owned by media oligarchs who can choose to curate their biases as they see fit) from journalistic integrity. If you're good with that, and if you think only Fox/Trump are guilty of propaganda territory incursions, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you, cheap.

Seems like journalists think one thing, and the public who consume news think something else:

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... ournalism/

Makes one wonder what journalism programs are teaching these days. :roll:
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
Typical Lax Dad

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:47 pm

You seem to have consciously uncoupled free press (consolidated and owned by media oligarchs who can choose to curate their biases as they see fit) from journalistic integrity. If you're good with that, and if you think only Fox/Trump are guilty of propaganda territory incursions, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you, cheap.

Seems like journalists think one thing, and the public who consume news think something else:

Uncoupling media oligarchs from the government owned/controlled. We have free press in this country like other free markets which can and will be controlled by “oligarchs” at times.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Free Press:

a body of book publishers, news media, etc., not controlled or restricted by government censorship in political or ideological matters.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Is there state owned media in the US?
Public television has a far smaller role than in most other countries. However, a number of states, including West Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, and South Carolina, among others, do have state-owned public broadcasting authorities which operate and fund all public television stations in their respective states.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Massive crowd of ~300 people?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:45 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:57 am trump has been a d**k head for decades. IMO when it is your guy doing the lying and bullchiting that is okay
What trump has sadly proven is you can be that kind of person and an increasing number of voters are jiggy with it. All is fair in love, war and politics it now looks like. It has been worse in our nations history. Some political discourse was settled with dueling pistols at 10 paces. Alexander Hamilton found that out the harder. GHWB was incorrect when he shared his vision of a kinder gentler nation. That ship sailed a long time ago possibly never to return to port. :roll:
When has this country ever been kinder and gentler? The only thing we understand is a foot on the neck. You would not want me in charge.
That was GHWBs vision. I'm now 66 years old and kinder and gentler has never been something I've seen all that much. When my kids were little kinder and gentler was what Mr Rogers Neighborhood was all about. That's about as close as I remember in real life. Wait I have to add Bob Ross into the equation. My wife always pokes fun at me when I watch The Joy of Painting. I wish I had the demeanor of Bob Ross. We do both an unending love of animals.
You are delusional.
That was a herpes test. For the other brain.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ggait

Post by ggait »

Harris +6 in recent Fox News poll. Stronger than Joe.

Boycott stupid.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:38 pm
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Uncoupling media oligarchs from the government owned/controlled. We have free press in this country like other free markets which can and will be controlled by “oligarchs” at times.
Well the big failure to me over the years is not enforcing antitrust appropriately and enough. Not sure we should have so many oligarchies but we’re here for sure
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:47 pm Is there state owned media in the US?
Public television has a far smaller role than in most other countries. However, a number of states, including West Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, and South Carolina, among others, do have state-owned public broadcasting authorities which operate and fund all public television stations in their respective states.
https://youtu.be/KjB6r-HDDI0?si=RtsAlcn5RvEdDm82
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

The problem with current media is that they are chasing audience based upon what they think those audiences WANT to hear rather than the plain truth which won't draw any interest.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:35 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:45 pm
You are delusional.
That was a herpes test. For the other brain.
Peter Rooter that's the name you just flush your troubles down the drain ...Rotten Peter... :lol:
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”