Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Relax77 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:15 pm
Shootinducks wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:49 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:17 am Their selection will tell us all we need to know about their level of commitment and seriousness about the program.

An ACC school “should” be hiring a current successful head coach or a top flight assistant from a top 5 program. Anything short of that shows their lack of commitment watered down the pool of applicants or they didn’t want to pay one of the two options above. This should not be an $80,000 hire that goes to a Patriot League assistant. This should be a $150,000-$200,000 hire they goes to a current head coach with a track record of success or a BC/NW/MD etc top assistant.
‘Patriot league assistant”…..IMHO any program would be very fortunate to have Patriot League Assistant Dana Dobie as their new head coach so disagree with your analysis
I think you understood the point I was making. Appreciate you nitpicking though!

Isn’t that what happens on fanlax. You could make a post of 700 words. Praising players left and right. Say one sentence that people don’t like and boom. Seventeen follow up posts about that one sentence being negative that really didn’t have anything to do with the point you’re making. For what it’s worth I got what you were saying and I agree. They need to make a splash.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Dobie isn’t a good comparison as her situation is different and she isn’t going anywhere. Colgate had a well respected and liked assistant who even they wouldn’t give the head job too.
Shootinducks

Post by Shootinducks »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:17 am Their selection will tell us all we need to know about their level of commitment and seriousness about the program.

An ACC school “should” be hiring a current successful head coach or a top flight assistant from a top 5 program. Anything short of that shows their lack of commitment watered down the pool of applicants or they didn’t want to pay one of the two options above. This should not be an $80,000 hire that goes to a Patriot League assistant. This should be a $150,000-$200,000 hire they goes to a current head coach with a track record of success or a BC/NW/MD etc top assistant.
‘Patriot league assistant”…..IMHO any program would be very fortunate to have Patriot League Assistant Dana Dobie as their new head coach so disagree with your analysis
I think you understood the point I was making. Appreciate you nitpicking though!
My pleasure. Next time be more careful with your disparaging comments.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Shootinducks wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:22 pm

What part of my comments were disparaging? Athletics are the ultimate meritocracy. If you took offense to my example of a Patriot League assistant, you just need thicker skin. I spent 8-10 years coaching college lacrosse. I never ascended beyond a low level D1 head coach. I never accomplished enough to ascend beyond that and I have no problem admitting that. Florida State should be hiring an accomplished Division 1 coach who was part of an applicant pool who all stomped, scrapped, and clawed all over each other to get the job. Anything short of that is a signal they aren’t doing enough to support the program.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

suffolk wrote: ↑Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:43 am I would anticipate a Florida State coaching announcement sometime this week
LaxPundit07 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:09 pm Lol

suffolk wrote: ↑Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:43 amI would anticipate a Florida State coaching announcement sometime this week
LiveLaxLove » Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:58 pm Want to bet?

Well, I was expecting a thank you Suffolk for accurately breaking this story a week in advance but I guess because I missed the official announcement by a whopping two days I won't receive one.
Shootinducks

Post by Shootinducks »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:47 pm

What part of my comments were disparaging? Athletics are the ultimate meritocracy. If you took offense to my example of a Patriot League assistant, you just need thicker skin. I spent 8-10 years coaching college lacrosse. I never ascended beyond a low level D1 head coach. I never accomplished enough to ascend beyond that and I have no problem admitting that. Florida State should be hiring an accomplished Division 1 coach who was part of an applicant pool who all stomped, scrapped, and clawed all over each other to get the job. Anything short of that is a signal they aren’t doing enough to support the program.
My point is that people who are part of a national powerhouse program are fortunate to have a program that attracts top tier talent making their task far easier than the coaches at lesser known programs. I don’t buy your premise that these coaches are the crème de la crème. I also don’t buy that the Patriot League doesn’t have accomplished capable coaches who would thrive in an environment that had endless resources and big name attraction to recruits. Sounds like you started out at home plate with a bat in your hand and managed to hit a double or single after laboring for quite some time. I have a lot more admiration for that than the player placed on third base as a pinch runner and managed to get home and somehow is proclaimed all world and the best out there. An assistant who joins a top tier program has found themselves on third base. You have to be an idiot to screw up that situation and not have success. I think your elevation of them to some noble know it all status is an error. I also think you erroneously disparage the capabilities of a lot of fine candidates who would thrive in if given the opportunity.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Shootinducks wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:31 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:47 pm

My point is that people who are part of a national powerhouse program are fortunate to have a program that attracts top tier talent making their task far easier than the coaches at lesser known programs. I don’t buy your premise that these coaches are the crème de la crème. I also don’t buy that the Patriot League doesn’t have accomplished capable coaches who would thrive in an environment that had endless resources and big name attraction to recruits. Sounds like you started out at home plate with a bat in your hand and managed to hit a double or single after laboring for quite some time. I have a lot more admiration for that than the player placed on third base as a pinch runner and managed to get home and somehow is proclaimed all world and the best out there. An assistant who joins a top tier program has found themselves on third base. You have to be an idiot to screw up that situation and not have success. I think your elevation of them to some noble know it all status is an error. I also think you erroneously disparage the capabilities of a lot of fine candidates who would thrive in if given the opportunity.
I hear you. And I appreciate the compliment given even while disagreeing. I think you may be honed in on the wrong part of my message. Note I mentioned “accomplished” Divison 1 head coach. I mentioned it being the ultimate meritocracy. Florida State shouldn’t be hiring a 26 year old that played at NW and was an assistant for 3 years at a big program. That does not define “accomplished” in my book. As for candidates at smaller programs who may thrive in the opportunity, I hear you. And I agree. But that’s not how it works. I am supremely confident, given my experience and competency, that I could do great things at FSU. But my resume doesn’t afford me that opportunity. And again, I have no issue with that. If I were still in my position at a bottom tier Tier D 1 program, I would be looking to make my next step at a MAAC/America East/CAA school. And then hopefully the jump to a BCS school from there. (Again these are examples, not some specific rule; there are exceptions) There is a ladder to be climbed. That junior salesman with all the talent and competency in the world doesn’t just straight to EVP. There is a path. And that’s all I was saying.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Heard a couple
Rumors at American Select. If one of those is correct, it will show that FSU has very little
Committment to the women’s lacrosse team.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:24 am Heard a couple
Rumors at American Select. If one of those is correct, it will show that FSU has very little
Committment to the women’s lacrosse team.
Are we doing the whole “I know something you don’t know!” bit again? 😂
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

For what its worth, Jill Giraldi on sidelines at Am Select not wearing any school related clothing. Sounds like she is making a switch somewhere
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Fair point. But remember base salary isn't the most important piece of comp at a top school. Its what percentage of camp revenues you get to keep.

A 100k salary with a 90% camp revenue share is usually much better than a $200k salary with a 50% share.
cdb

Post by cdb »

The job description for the Flordia State WLAX position seems to require only 1 year of head coaching experience with a master and 3 without a masters. That is not a particularly high bar.

What does that mean in state government position. State governments first post positions internally to see if they already have person(s) who meet the minimum requirements. If so, they will interview all internal candidates and either promote one of them or determine through a fair process that they there are reasonable factors that hinder his/her appointment. That is key because a rejected candidate has the right to appeal or even sue if they believe they were wrongfully denied the position. If this process does not produce a viable candidate, the position is then open to non state employees.

This job description could have been written with more care to ensure the school can easily hire the candidate of their choice and avoid any internal grumblings. IMHO is not written that way. It may be that the folks who will choose the coach want a hire-powered candidate, but the folks writing the job description didn't do those folks any favors. When or if the coaching decision is made, we should see if this caused a problem or not.

Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster her can enlighten me about the job search.
Bart

Post by Bart »

cdb wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:51 pm The job description for the Flordia State WLAX position seems to require only 1 year of head coaching experience with a master and 3 without a masters. That is not a particularly high bar.

What does that mean in state government position. State governments first post positions internally to see if they already have person(s) who meet the minimum requirements. If so, they will interview all internal candidates and either promote one of them or determine through a fair process that they there are reasonable factors that hinder his/her appointment. That is key because a rejected candidate has the right to appeal or even sue if they believe they were wrongfully denied the position. If this process does not produce a viable candidate, the position is then open to non state employees.

This job description could have been written with more care to ensure the school can easily hire the candidate of their choice and avoid any internal grumblings. IMHO is not written that way. It may be that the folks who will choose the coach want a hire-powered candidate, but the folks writing the job description didn't do those folks any favors. When or if the coaching decision is made, we should see if this caused a problem or not.

Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster her can enlighten me about the job search.
Guess I don’t understand what you’re getting at here. Don’t see how there would be any internal grumbling since it is a new position and a new offering.
cdb

Post by cdb »

In state governments internal employees are hired for a new position if they qualify before the position will interview outside candidates. Almost all teaching employees have or are working on a masters degree. My point is that he was this job description is written may preclude the school from filling the position from outside the Florida system.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:41 am For what its worth, Jill Giraldi on sidelines at Am Select not wearing any school related clothing. Sounds like she is making a switch somewhere
Wrong
Bart

Post by Bart »

cdb wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:07 pm In state governments internal employees are hired for a new position if they qualify before the position will interview outside candidates. Almost all teaching employees have or are working on a masters degree. My point is that he was this job description is written may preclude the school from filling the position from outside the Florida system.
Ok. Thanks. In my experience this is not how these types of jobs at the University level are handled. There are some job titles that behave exactly like you describe but not positions like professor, administrator and coaches. I am not in the Florida State system so I could be 100% wrong but I have never run into this when interviewing candidates for a position on the Academic side of the house.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Heard it is down to a couple MAC head coaches which shouldn’t excite the masses. Doesn’t scream national title
Contender.
cdb

Post by cdb »

It is almost impossible to measure the worth of a coach versus the talent of the athletes. for example, John Wooden is called the Wizard of Westwood after winning all those college basketball championships at UCLA in the last century. But John Wooden was a 500 coach until he recruited Lou Alcindor (Kareem). John Thompson at Georgetown was also around a 500 coach until he recruited Patrick Ewing. In this age of NIL I doubt either could have kept their many great players long enough to have the success they had. It is a different world. And with these new scholarship limits -- no one has any idea how they will affect the revenue -- never mind the non-revenue sports. So, for new coaches to succeed, they will have to understand how to best use those limits as well as knowing how to teach and motivate young athletes.

College coaches have always allowed walk ons -- players can be accepted on college football teams without scholarships -- many just want to be part of the team even though they do not have any more chance than Rudy did in that Notre Dame movie of ever playing. Coaches use those walk-ons to play the roles of the other teams and do many tasks that they really do not want to offer scholarships for. Now, they will probably not have many, if any, walk-ons.

I have mentioned before that TAMU granted NIL of $25K to each baseball player. For the those who had full scholarships, that money was a bonanza, but for those who had very little scholarship money, it more than paid for their school.

So far there are no specific rules as to how all that money will be paid to athletes -- but I certainly hope the WLAX players will be getting a slice of that pie.

I also find it intriguing that both Clemson (for sure) and Florida State (maybe) are increasing WLAX programs at a time they are seeking to leave the ACC.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

cdb wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:39 pm It is almost impossible to measure the worth of a coach versus the talent of the athletes. for example, John Wooden is called the Wizard of Westwood after winning all those college basketball championships at UCLA in the last century. But John Wooden was a 500 coach until he recruited Lou Alcindor (Kareem). John Thompson at Georgetown was also around a 500 coach until he recruited Patrick Ewing. In this age of NIL I doubt either could have kept their many great players long enough to have the success they had. It is a different world. And with these new scholarship limits -- no one has any idea how they will affect the revenue -- never mind the non-revenue sports. So, for new coaches to succeed, they will have to understand how to best use those limits as well as knowing how to teach and motivate young athletes.

College coaches have always allowed walk ons -- players can be accepted on college football teams without scholarships -- many just want to be part of the team even though they do not have any more chance than Rudy did in that Notre Dame movie of ever playing. Coaches use those walk-ons to play the roles of the other teams and do many tasks that they really do not want to offer scholarships for. Now, they will probably not have many, if any, walk-ons.

I have mentioned before that TAMU granted NIL of $25K to each baseball player. For the those who had full scholarships, that money was a bonanza, but for those who had very little scholarship money, it more than paid for their school.

So far there are no specific rules as to how all that money will be paid to athletes -- but I certainly hope the WLAX players will be getting a slice of that pie.

I also find it intriguing that both Clemson (for sure) and Florida State (maybe) are increasing WLAX programs at a time they are seeking to leave the ACC.
I have no idea where you are getting your info from, but you are not even close on John Wooden. Here is his year-by-year career record. His worst year ever was .613.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/co ... den-1.html
cdb

Post by cdb »

I got my info from an article that I did not check out, so mea culpa for that -- but I think the main point I was making still holds true -- coaches can run very effective systems if they have great players -- and Wooden began his ascension into being the GOAT after he recruited Lou Alcindor.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”