Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by admin »

steel, not directed at you. a different person called the guy a moron and... whatever. Not you, steel.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm
viper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm Calvert Hall FOGO Tyler Dunn, a rising high school senior, just committed to Hopkins. Is this the Tinney effect already bearing fruit? Local kid from an MIAA powerhouse, relatively late commit—just what the doctor ordered. Now do midfield!
Great commit!

DocBarrister 8-)
Kids a good one. Was the number 2 fogo this year behind Cattone who will be at Loyola next year. Came away with a win percentage in the 60’s. He will be the number 1 fogo in the “tour for four” next year. Transferred into the Hall this year and I believe he was also being courted by the Terps and Wahoos.

So it seems the Jays might still have some recruiting cred left despite the rumors of their demise.
Whats the cred on Dunn and Cattone on their FO performances in the MIAA for this most recent season? i've been hearing some hype on both of these guys
According to IL, together they went 16-26 against LB in the MIAA semifinal (Dunn was 9/11) and then 18-25 against St. Mary's in the final (Dunn was 6/8). Don't know how strong the opposing faceoff guys were though. Petro attended these games at Towson (I recall Booker Corrigan noting that he was there to watch incoming freshman attackman Ian Krampf of St. Mary's) so maybe he was also watching out for Dunn and others at the same time. And of course with Hopkins out of the NCAAs he actually had a chance to see his son play for BL.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

83068184-995E-4FDB-8529-F4481B1FABA1.jpeg
83068184-995E-4FDB-8529-F4481B1FABA1.jpeg (31.69 KiB) Viewed 23087 times
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/5/30 ... 0-rankings
first of the 2020 lookaheads-there are usually 4-stevens-which is the best with scoring/starts lost, sun, IL, and these folks.
-Maryland, Penn St again as top 5 programs-tilman is a machine, unc and princeton perhaps improved, syracuse and ohio state about the same and loyola, towson, rutgers losing major pieces and taking steps back
-the insinuation is that concannon and foley are trying to come back. the midfield was a disaster this year. I don't know what's in the cupboard or entering the cupboard at attack (is forry moving back or do they have someone coming in to replace marr) or what's in the midfield recruiting class. concannon is nothing but stability I guess. I like Foley but they gave up 200+goals (almost 100+more than the 2013 team). Also references the incoming goalie some of you like and hopefully that's an open competition next year.

The other point they make about us is something that was hit on in the piece from syracuse.com where they try to understand why they've had a lost decade and that's the top 5 class they project we've got coming in. We've had issues over the last decade but quint specifically in the cuse story noted they haven't been able to recruit superstars and elite classes and with the 2013 group, the shack/tinney group and now epstein we haven't lacked for high profile classes and names at least in the minds of IL coming to homewood. For all the Hopkins is a terrible place to play stuff we read here that word hasn't filtered down to recruits.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Is our incoming class really top 5, or more like top ten-ish?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 am https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/5/30 ... 0-rankings
first of the 2020 lookaheads-there are usually 4-stevens-which is the best with scoring/starts lost, sun, IL, and these folks.
-Maryland, Penn St again as top 5 programs-tilman is a machine, unc and princeton perhaps improved, syracuse and ohio state about the same and loyola, towson, rutgers losing major pieces and taking steps back
-the insinuation is that concannon and foley are trying to come back. the midfield was a disaster this year. I don't know what's in the cupboard or entering the cupboard at attack (is forry moving back or do they have someone coming in to replace marr) or what's in the midfield recruiting class. concannon is nothing but stability I guess. I like Foley but they gave up 200+goals (almost 100+more than the 2013 team). Also references the incoming goalie some of you like and hopefully that's an open competition next year.

The other point they make about us is something that was hit on in the piece from syracuse.com where they try to understand why they've had a lost decade and that's the top 5 class they project we've got coming in. We've had issues over the last decade but quint specifically in the cuse story noted they haven't been able to recruit superstars and elite classes and with the 2013 group, the shack/tinney group and now epstein we haven't lacked for high profile classes and names at least in the minds of IL coming to homewood. For all the Hopkins is a terrible place to play stuff we read here that word hasn't filtered down to recruits.
Liquid Smoke seems to be pretty high on Tim Marcille. Has anyone seen him play? Is he the real deal?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 am Is our incoming class really top 5, or more like top ten-ish?

I didn't think it was that impressive, but according to the pundits at Inside Lacrosse we have more "4- or 5-star recruits" than any team other than Maryland, Duke, and Notre Dame. We have 8 combined "starred" recruits (Maryland has 13, Duke and ND have 10, a bunch of teams including UVA and UNC are right behind us at 7). The class doesn't have much star power outside of Blake Rodgers (and Owen Murphy, depending on whom you ask) but it does appear to be a pretty deep class of guys who may not necessarily be stars, but still make an impact.

For what it's worth—probably very little—IL has our 2020 class ranked #1 by a decent margin. This is what I was saying about recruiting earlier—say what you want about whether or not we're recruiting well: What's undeniable is that Hopkins is still a premier destination. Unfortunately to my eye it still looks like we're stacking up on attackmen and poles and not enough midfielders.

51 won't like hearing this though—we've got 35 kids coming in the next two years. 18 this year and 17 next and I'm also pretty sure they missed a 2020 kid who committed to us late last year out of Georgia—a defenseman. Blanking on his name.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 am Is our incoming class really top 5, or more like top ten-ish?

I didn't think it was that impressive, but according to the pundits at Inside Lacrosse we have more "4- or 5-star recruits" than any team other than Maryland, Duke, and Notre Dame. We have 8 combined "starred" recruits (Maryland has 13, Duke and ND have 10, a bunch of teams including UVA and UNC are right behind us at 7). The class doesn't have much star power outside of Blake Rodgers (and Owen Murphy, depending on whom you ask) but it does appear to be a pretty deep class of guys who may not necessarily be stars, but still make an impact.

For what it's worth—probably very little—IL has our 2020 class ranked #1 by a decent margin. This is what I was saying about recruiting earlier—say what you want about whether or not we're recruiting well: What's undeniable is that Hopkins is still a premier destination. Unfortunately to my eye it still looks like we're stacking up on attackmen and poles and not enough midfielders.

51 won't like hearing this though—we've got 35 kids coming in the next two years. 18 this year and 17 next and I'm also pretty sure they missed a 2020 kid who committed to us late last year out of Georgia—a defenseman. Blanking on his name.
35 kids coming in within 2 years with 22-24 going out? this team should be loaded with younger players then who maybe ( i hope) will make immediate impact
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think players and parents can see the tea leaves, count the numbers, scan the roster and know way more than I do so I don't think I am aiding and abetting the enemies but on the one hand the Dunn commitment seems to make alot of sense and on the other it contributes to the madness that I sometimes think of when it comes to Hopkins recruiting. On the positive side you may very well have a talented FO recruit coming to Homewood when Prouty is a senior and younger Narewski is a junior - seems like decent succession planning. On the other hand with the elder Narewski and Sande already on the team and my mind says to me Handsor is also primarily a face-off guy? So that leaves enough face-off men in 2021 to field a team and send in for a barnstorming demonstration of former Iowa girls 6v6 basketball. Ridiculous.

IMO - Petro better be camping out at Chris Gray's house and pointing out that Hopkins can provide so many excellent academic opportunities. He would look so good in Light Blue and Black (probably will end up at Duke or an Ivy) but we better be doing all we can.

Concannon can return if both Hopkins and family desire - there is no question - he qualifies under the medical red-shirt rules

As far as our recruiting class - it has the Top ten-ish feel to me. Not alot of opportunities where - unlike with Epstein - where you say - oh that kid is going to contribute immediately - the most likely prospects would appear to be:
- Murphy as a shooter
- Marcille as possible competition for goalie
- One of the reported SSDM candidates
- One of the longpoles to possibly play some LSM
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Have seen Marcille play alot.
Positives - Unbelievable knowledge of the game, thirst for more, work ethic, command of the defense - as I have posted before - if Petro has to kick Epstein out of his office sometimes - he will have to watch and make sure Marcille isn't in the bushes at his house.
As far as job #1 - stopping shots - he's very good at the high school levels I have seen him play at - Gonzaga of course is a very competitive program so he had to wait his turn and share the load - he does not have, IMO, the conspicuous issue that has been attributed to the Hopkins incumbent at the position
Possible Negatives - He's short - if he was 3-4 inches taller with his work ethic he would be the best goalie out there - athletically in terms of speed out of the crease when it is required - TM is not the fastest cheetah on the savannah. I wouldn't say his outlets are something you notice right off the bat - like with a Galloway or anything - he generally picks out the right guy and doesn't make too many mistakes on that end.

You're right '16 - 35 players in the next two classes - beyond comprehension
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I've not seen Marcille as much as 51 but from what I understand—he also has a habit of showing up in some big moments. There are lots and lots of clips of him on YouTube making a big save in tight games against rivals...including one on Joey Epstein when Landon played Gonzaga last year.

I don't know where Foley stands in his quest for eligibility but I do think it's pretty weird he was neither drafted by the MLL nor the PLL. He is beyond qualified to play in the MLL. My guess is he told teams he hopes to be back at Homewood for one last rodeo.

If he, Concannon, and Coulter all return then the Jays only lose four seniors (Marr, Kuhn, Fox, Jones). So barring transfers in or out the roster could be as much as 14 people larger next year. Yikes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:44 pm I've not seen Marcille as much as 51 but from what I understand—he also has a habit of showing up in some big moments. There are lots and lots of clips of him on YouTube making a big save in tight games against rivals...including one on Joey Epstein when Landon played Gonzaga last year.

I don't know where Foley stands in his quest for eligibility but I do think it's pretty weird he was neither drafted by the MLL nor the PLL. He is beyond qualified to play in the MLL. My guess is he told teams he hopes to be back at Homewood for one last rodeo.

If he, Concannon, and Coulter all return then the Jays only lose four seniors (Marr, Kuhn, Fox, Jones). So barring transfers in or out the roster could be as much as 14 people larger next year. Yikes.
Plus, when Gray and Burkinshaw transfer in, that will expand the Hopkins roster by two!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:44 pm If he, Concannon, and Coulter all return then the Jays only lose four seniors (Marr, Kuhn, Fox, Jones). So barring transfers in or out the roster could be as much as 14 people larger next year. Yikes.
i wouldn't worry about it. don't remember the last time hopkins had fewer than 16-18 guys "coming in".
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

With all due respect, 'Cuse is a low threshold. The only recruiting advantage Syracuse may have is lower admissions standards and therefore less rigorous classroom academics.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 am 83068184-995E-4FDB-8529-F4481B1FABA1.jpeg
+1
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:22 pm I think players and parents can see the tea leaves, count the numbers, scan the roster and know way more than I do so I don't think I am aiding and abetting the enemies but on the one hand the Dunn commitment seems to make alot of sense and on the other it contributes to the madness that I sometimes think of when it comes to Hopkins recruiting. On the positive side you may very well have a talented FO recruit coming to Homewood when Prouty is a senior and younger Narewski is a junior - seems like decent succession planning. On the other hand with the elder Narewski and Sande already on the team and my mind says to me Handsor is also primarily a face-off guy? So that leaves enough face-off men in 2021 to field a team and send in for a barnstorming demonstration of former Iowa girls 6v6 basketball. Ridiculous.

IMO - Petro better be camping out at Chris Gray's house and pointing out that Hopkins can provide so many excellent academic opportunities. He would look so good in Light Blue and Black (probably will end up at Duke or an Ivy) but we better be doing all we can.

Concannon can return if both Hopkins and family desire - there is no question - he qualifies under the medical red-shirt rules

As far as our recruiting class - it has the Top ten-ish feel to me. Not alot of opportunities where - unlike with Epstein - where you say - oh that kid is going to contribute immediately - the most likely prospects would appear to be:
- Murphy as a shooter
- Marcille as possible competition for goalie
- One of the reported SSDM candidates
- One of the longpoles to possibly play some LSM
Maybe convert some FOGOs to SSDMs? :)
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Burkinshaw goes to Penn.

Maryland's James Avanzato entered the transfer portal. Highly touted coming out of high school in 2017 but promptly tore his ACL in his first game last year. Went to high school with Jacob Giacalone and played club with Connor DeSimone...wonder if he might consider a quick trip up I-95 and trade those ugly reds in for some lovely light blue. We could probably use him at midfield if he's healthy.

The roster size is already gigantic—I think Petro needs to be aggressive on the transfer wire this summer, especially at midfield. Simply need bodies there.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

How does a blind person know when to stop wiping his ass?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:11 am
houndace1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm
viper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm Calvert Hall FOGO Tyler Dunn, a rising high school senior, just committed to Hopkins. Is this the Tinney effect already bearing fruit? Local kid from an MIAA powerhouse, relatively late commit—just what the doctor ordered. Now do midfield!
Great commit!

DocBarrister 8-)
Kids a good one. Was the number 2 fogo this year behind Cattone who will be at Loyola next year. Came away with a win percentage in the 60’s. He will be the number 1 fogo in the “tour for four” next year. Transferred into the Hall this year and I believe he was also being courted by the Terps and Wahoos.

So it seems the Jays might still have some recruiting cred left despite the rumors of their demise.
Whats the cred on Dunn and Cattone on their FO performances in the MIAA for this most recent season? i've been hearing some hype on both of these guys
According to IL, together they went 16-26 against LB in the MIAA semifinal (Dunn was 9/11) and then 18-25 against St. Mary's in the final (Dunn was 6/8). Don't know how strong the opposing faceoff guys were though. Petro attended these games at Towson (I recall Booker Corrigan noting that he was there to watch incoming freshman attackman Ian Krampf of St. Mary's) so maybe he was also watching out for Dunn and others at the same time. And of course with Hopkins out of the NCAAs he actually had a chance to see his son play for BL.
Seriously, the reason Petro was there was his son (who, BTW, is the real deal plus some). He's a quite faithful watcher of his boys, always quietly.

I've bumped into him numerous times over the years during the youth ball process, leaning on a fence watching them play. One of the things I've liked.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If concannon and foley come back-and those are 2 big iffs. That's what only 4 spots an attackman (whose spot could be filled by baskin/keogh/forry), 2 ssdms and an lsm open for this freshman class incoming plus sophs that didn't play? I dont really remember off hand how many veterans over the years have been wally pipped out of jobs during the offseason with out an injury/suspension as a reason, but can't be many.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”