Coaching Carousel 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Mole

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Mole »

Was Guilford ever really open, and did they conduct a legitimate search and interview process? Kelly had about twenty years of experience at RWU before they announced him as interim in November.
Last edited by Mole on Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

I've heard from folks involved in the hiring processes for multiple jobs open this cycle that the upcoming federal FLSA threshold change (https://blog.dol.gov/2024/04/23/what-th ... or-workers) is having a pretty big impact on the hiring of new coaches.

As I understand it, as of January 2025 employees who make under $58,000 can no longer be exempt. That means they are legally allowed to get overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 in a week.

Despite what some may think $58K is upper-middle tier for D3 head coaches, and at the schools still listed as having openings; $58 is a VERY nice deal.

So now AD's are stuck with decisions to make:
Do they start a new coach at $58K?
Do they make them ten month at a $58K rate ($50ish)?
Do they pay them less than the FLSA threshold and pay OT? (Coaches work 50+ hours in season)
Do they pay less than the FLSA threshold but cap hours to limit OT?

It's a big mess and is making it difficult to get good, quality hires on board for many of these jobs.

Stay tuned. This will have far reaching ramifications within D3 coaching.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

I’m sure the schools have found a way around it by now or will. Most of the jobs in D3 are mid 40’s, I don’t see how these schools could/would pay overtime.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Mole wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:26 pm Was Guilford ever really open, and did they conduct a legitimate search and interview process? Ward had about twenty years of experience at RWU before they announced him as interim in November.
I’m told Guilford was a formality since coach KELLY not Ward was hired as interim last year.
Mole

Post by Mole »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:35 am
Mole wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:26 pm Was Guilford ever really open, and did they conduct a legitimate search and interview process? Ward had about twenty years of experience at RWU before they announced him as interim in November.
I’m told Guilford was a formality since coach KELLY not Ward was hired as interim last year.
Gotcha. Yes, Kelly. Typo/Brainspasm to end the week.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Potsdam officially announced

Very excited for the Conners era to start for my alma mater, feels like a hire to push the program forward even more!

https://potsdambears.com/news/2024/7/29 ... 72924.aspx
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Hun job posted online, so i assume the Lopes hire at Kean is true.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:06 am Hun job posted online, so i assume the Lopes hire at Kean is true.
Yep
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

GoBears wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:53 am Potsdam officially announced

Very excited for the Conners era to start for my alma mater, feels like a hire to push the program forward even more!

Underrated Hire..He's good
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

GoBears wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:53 am Potsdam officially announced

Open
Augustana (IL)
Guilford (NC)
Kean (NJ)
Northland (WI)
Notre Dame (MD)
Neumann (PA)
SUNY Plattsburgh
SUNY Poly
St Joseph's (ME)
St Joseph's (NY)
William Peace (NC)

Filled
Albertus Magnus College (CT) - Chris Bronander (Oberlin AC)
Benedictine (IL) - Josh Berey-Wingate (Lewis AC)
Brevard (NC) - Scott Dangel (Oglethorpe HC)
SUNY Brockport - Nick Fiorentino (Former Geneseo HC)
Cairn (PA) - Matt LoStracco (HS Coach)
FDU (NJ) - Alex Stone (Muhlenberg AC)
Juniata (PA) - Dylan Abplanalp (Illinois Wesleyan AC)
LaGrange (GA) - Kevin Riordan (Coastal Carolina HC - MCLA)
Oglethorpe (GA) - Christian Hall (Wingate AC)
SUNY Potsdam - Gill Connors (St Bonaventure AHC)
Rhodes (TN) - Billy Cameron (Hampden-Sydney AC)
Virginia Wesleyan (VA) - Sam Jones (Virginia Wesleyan AC)
Washington & Jefferson (PA) - Jacob Bow (HS HC)
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Guilford (NC)
I believe they are done. Coach Kelly was interim and was rightfully given the ft job moving forward. Well done Quakers, Coach Kelly is one of the good ones.

No interim on title:
https://guilfordquakers.com/staff-direc ... artment/30
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Looking at the remaining jobs, the two that seem to have been open the longest are:

St Josephs (ME)
Northland (WI)

both opened early in the summer and have not announced a hiring with recruiting season all but wrapped up.

Anyone know what is going on with these positions?
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

St Josephs (ME)
Offer made, accepted, announcement soon.
Masslax8934

Post by Masslax8934 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:52 am I've heard from folks involved in the hiring processes for multiple jobs open this cycle that the upcoming federal FLSA threshold change (https://blog.dol.gov/2024/04/23/what-th ... or-workers) is having a pretty big impact on the hiring of new coaches.

As I understand it, as of January 2025 employees who make under $58,000 can no longer be exempt. That means they are legally allowed to get overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 in a week.

Despite what some may think $58K is upper-middle tier for D3 head coaches, and at the schools still listed as having openings; $58 is a VERY nice deal.

Do they pay them less than the FLSA threshold and pay OT? (Coaches work 50+ hours in season)

It's a big mess and is making it difficult to get good, quality hires on board for many of these jobs.

Does this impact high school coaches too?
TopperLax82

Post by TopperLax82 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:52 am I've heard from folks involved in the hiring processes for multiple jobs open this cycle that the upcoming federal FLSA threshold change (https://blog.dol.gov/2024/04/23/what-th ... or-workers) is having a pretty big impact on the hiring of new coaches.

This will be interesting. There's a lot of coaches in D3 who don't hit the 40 mark until the season starts - and when you figure travel time in for road trips, that's where they start to go well over the 40. If you don't have fall ball like NESCAC for example, you're doing site supervision, but you're still not hitting that mark until the season starts.
Ikno

Post by Ikno »

"but you're still not hitting that mark until the season starts."

This may be the most uninformed comment ever on these boards
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Ikno wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:26 am "but you're still not hitting that mark until the season starts."

This may be the most uninformed comment ever on these boards
Yes it is, coaches hit their “mark” probably by Wednesday every week in season or out. Recruiting takes more time than anything else.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

TopperLax82 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:37 pm

This will be interesting. There's a lot of coaches in D3 who don't hit the 40 mark until the season starts - and when you figure travel time in for road trips, that's where they start to go well over the 40. If you don't have fall ball like NESCAC for example, you're doing site supervision, but you're still not hitting that mark until the season starts.
Doesn’t NESCAC now allow fall ball as of 3 or 4 years ago?
Mole

Post by Mole »

TopperLax82 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:37 pm If you don't have fall ball like NESCAC for example, you're doing site supervision, but you're still not hitting that mark until the season starts.
I feel like plenty of places have additional responsibilities for either "teaching" or home game management even if you do have fall ball. This is assuming you are "full-time."
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:04 am
TopperLax82 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:37 pm

Doesn’t NESCAC now allow fall ball as of 3 or 4 years ago?
I believe 10 official practices

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”