wgdsr

Re: Recruiting

Post by wgdsr »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:06 pm
SoCal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:58 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:32 pm
SoCal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:06 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:42 pm
however, what i don't see passing the smell test is roster limits. i might be wrong and schools may argue schollies are increasing and (from $0) payouts to women are growing. but they'd be eliminating opportunities, and "growth" would be gone. only dollars up. i don't see it happening to women without a challenge. and i'd be surprised if it's even put on for women.
I know I’m in the minority but I sincerely hope they institute the roster limits in wlax. It was plainly evident after watching some of the games this weekend at HHH (where most of the teams there were top 40 teams) that some of the girls don’t have the ability or skillset to be playing at the D1 level, or at least what maybe D1 was five years ago. It is severely watered down right now. I also don’t believe it would slow the growth, there’s plenty of girls lax in D2 and D3.
Didn’t you say that the HHH games were all about having fun and don’t translate to what will happen once they’re at their colleges?
Lmao. 🤦🏻‍♂️. Do I really have to answer that, in regards to the point that I made above? Yeah. HHH is all about meeting and greeting your future teammates. Stony Brook going 0-3 and Syracuse 1-2 doesn’t mean they are going to suck going forward. HHH Committed has nothing to do with the fact that there was a large amount of kids that shouldn’t have been on some of those teams.

There were kids who had difficulty catching and throwing the ball under pressure. Couldn’t clear. Trying to run through five people from the defensive zone to the offensive zone and dropping the ball every time. Turning over the ball continuously everytime they touched the ball. At times it looked like youth lacrosse. Some of those kids will never step foot on a field in a meaningful game. Especially since most teams play what, 16-20 kids a game. And I’m not talking about the super athletic kids that don’t have the sick skills yet.

There was 750 kids at this event. Having 125 d1 teams. 40 kids to a team. There isn’t 5000 skilled enough girls to play at that level unless you water it down. Like I’ve said before. What would happen if we made 125 professional baseball teams. How would the product be.
125 professional baseball teams is an apples to oranges comparison. We are talking about college lacrosse, yes? How many college baseball teams? That’s your apples to apples to comparison. I’d also argue that most of the young women who play lacrosse in college don’t have aspirations of winning a national championship or playing professional lacrosse and that’s okay. They’re student-athletes. If they’re okay riding the bench then who cares if most rosters are large. Let the top 15ish programs and their fans battle out every year for the best of the best.
It’s an exaggeration but the point is not apples to oranges. You are watering down the product by having 40 kids a team. And when you get past the 30th ranked team it shows heavily. And it’s not about riding a bench. It’s about they don’t belong there on that level.
the last 20-30 years has been a real evolution in women's lacrosse. it can easily be argued a revolution. several decades isn't that long for major change. the real prospect is alive that it continues, even if not at the same pace. covid or something dug into things the last 5 years.

what's at least a defensible prospect, go where if you blow out your knee or lacrosse isn't there for you. sure, most aren't afforded that in reality, but roster limits would not move the needle in the right direction, imo.

my unscientific study says more players and students would be going to 2nd or 3rd choice schools. for lacrosse. i've always been on the side of students and arhletes going where they want. the evolution (and i think talent) will expand.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Here is what some say the changes will be to scholarship limits:

REPORT: The NCAA is expected to approve increased scholarships across multiple sports, per
@RossDellenger

Football 105 (+20)
Basketball 15 (+2)
Baseball 34 (+22.3)
Softball 25 (+13)
Volleyball 18 (+6)

So men's sports will increase 44.3 nd women's 19.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:18 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:11 pm
NULax2 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:31 pm change is a coming

"To maintain compliance with the federal Title IX law, any scholarship increases in a men’s sport will likely need to be replicated in a women’s sport, driving up the additional costs. But not all programs can afford to add so many additional scholarships. Some administrators are in the process of “tiering” their sports by decreasing investment on certain programs and increasing investment in others. This includes staff and salary cuts as well as the reduction in scholarships from Olympic sports, especially those that generate little to no revenue."

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ncaa-t ... 00598.html
Let's remember though that this only applies to power 4 schools and that is just a fraction of total women's lax schools

Off the top of my heads, the only schools impacted are

- USC
- Oregon
- Cal
- Michigan
- Stanford
- Ohio State
- Northwestern
- Rutgers
- Penn State
- Duke
- UNC
- Va Tech
- BC
- Cuse
- UVA
- Pitt
- Clemson
- Louisville
- ND
- Maryland
- OSU

Remains to be seen how they will handle power 5 schools who don't play in power conferences (Florida, Vandy, Colorado). And non-power schools who play in power conferences (Hopkins).
I read the attached article - I’m not sure if what you say is true.

Everything I have heard before makes me think this applies to all D1 schools

But maybe you are right
Roster caps will only apply to power 4/5 schools. For smaller schools, their conference will set roster limits.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Late to the HHH Committed commentary. I would argue that Dartmouth looked better than Penn. They led Mich for most of the game, but allowed two quick goals at the end which gave Mich the edge. Big Green also was tied with UNC leading up to the half. Ivy looked solid with 2 teams in the final 4, and one in the final, and Dartmouth looking solid in some tough games.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Stanford won both HHH and IL Committed Academy in 2021 and 2022. Not sure why anyone is putting any time into trying to evaluate how any of it will translate. They are fun events and are a great opportunity for the girls and parents to meet and get to know each other. That's about it.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:26 pm In my opinion, Cap limits would force those top teams to not grab the ten best commits on the board. And that would trickle all the way down. So in theory, teams outside the top 25 would be better because they would have a higher caliber roster. Which was make for better games.
Relax77, I know we tend to agree on alot, but I disagree a bit here.

I agree with you in theory but if you look at recent top 10 commits. Take the 24 class for example. For most programs, I can name at least one, usually 2 or 3 recruits who are well below the rest of the class in potential. Usually an alum or another university connection. Not sure the girls they don't get will impact as much as you think
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:38 am
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:26 pm In my opinion, Cap limits would force those top teams mto not grab the ten best commits on the board. And that would trickle all the way down. So in theory, teams outside the top 25 would be better because they would have a higher caliber roster. Which was make for better games.

I agree with you in theory but if you look at recent top 10 commits. Take the 24 class for example. For most programs, I can name at least one, usually 2 or 3 recruits who are well below the rest of the class in potential. Usually an alum or another university connection. Not sure the girls they don't get will impact as much as you think
I see what you are saying and agree to an extent. It I still think it’s a trickle down effect. Use the class of 2025. Although Notre Dame took two billionaire kids that will never see playing time, they also grabbed some top kids they wouldn’t have been able to if the roster cap was 32. And that’s even if they don’t take the alumni kids. Same can be said for UNC and Clemson and other top schools. Even if you take away two alums that are meh, UNC can’t grab 6 of the best midfielders and one attacker in Sept if their cap is 32. They wouldn’t have the room. Maybe they grab King but couldn’t grab Lauretani. And she would have went somewhere else. Clemson certainly wouldn’t have been able to add Spallina and Eisfeld with cap limits. It all trickles down. Will it make a huge difference, no not for the championship bit that is because the scholarship rule is going to have its advantages for some teams. The one thing I believe will be sure is there will be better players on the lower ranked teams. Which should make those games more interesting and competetive. Or not. Who knows?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:39 pm I see what you are saying and agree to an extent. It I still think it’s a trickle down effect. Use the class of 2025. Although Notre Dame took two billionaire kids that will never see playing time, they also grabbed some top kids they wouldn’t have been able to if the roster cap was 32. And that’s even if they don’t take the alumni kids. Same can be said for UNC and Clemson and other top schools. Even if you take away two alums that are meh, UNC can’t grab 6 of the best midfielders and one attacker in Sept if their cap is 32. They wouldn’t have the room. Maybe they grab King but couldn’t grab Lauretani. And she would have went somewhere else. Clemson certainly wouldn’t have been able to add Spallina and Eisfeld with cap limits. It all trickles down. Will it make a huge difference, no not for the championship bit that is because the scholarship rule is going to have its advantages for some teams. The one thing I believe will be sure is there will be better players on the lower ranked teams. Which should make those games more interesting and competetive. Or not. Who knows?
What you say makes a lot of sense and I definitely agree...just hope my kid still has a roster spot on signing day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:49 pm
Relax77 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:39 pm I see what you are saying and agree to an extent. It I still think it’s a trickle down effect. Use the class of 2025. Although Notre Dame took two billionaire kids that will never see playing time, they also grabbed some top kids they wouldn’t have been able to if the roster cap was 32. And that’s even if they don’t take the alumni kids. Same can be said for UNC and Clemson and other top schools. Even if you take away two alums that are meh, UNC can’t grab 6 of the best midfielders and one attacker in Sept if their cap is 32. They wouldn’t have the room. Maybe they grab King but couldn’t grab Lauretani. And she would have went somewhere else. Clemson certainly wouldn’t have been able to add Spallina and Eisfeld with cap limits. It all trickles down. Will it make a huge difference, no not for the championship bit that is because the scholarship rule is going to have its advantages for some teams. The one thing I believe will be sure is there will be better players on the lower ranked teams. Which should make those games more interesting and competetive. Or not. Who knows?
What you say makes a lot of sense and I definitely agree...just hope my kid still has a roster spot on signing day :lol: :lol: :lol:
lol. Yep. Definitely affects many. Hey, at least I don’t lack the courage of my conviction. It will definitely affect our family in some way and I’m still for it. Whether good or bad, I guess I’m gonna find out.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Back with another look at top 100 recruiting rankings, this time with the 2022 class.
Before I get started, here are links for previous classes.
2019: viewtopic.php?p=565927#p565927
2020: viewtopic.php?p=568327#p568327
2021: viewtopic.php?p=569566#p569566
This class had a unique recruiting experience, going through the process while the country was in the throes of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here's how things break down over the first two years. Players were ranked 1-50, and then 51-100 were given the "watch list" designation.
AA:Shea Dolce, #6, Boston College
Emmy Pascal, WL, Yale
Madison Taylor, WL, Northwestern
All-Conference: Kori Edmondson, #1, Maryland
Lucy Pearson, #20, Stanford
Kaitlyn Davies, #26, Florida
Haven Dora, #35, Princeton
Paris Masaracchia, #43, Clemson
Caitlin Boden, WL, James Madison
Camryn Callaghan, WL, Cincinnati
Ryan Dineen, WL, Denver
Madison Epke, WL, James Madison
Peyton Howell, WL, Louisville/Tampa*
Amelia Hughes, WL, Princeton
Ava Yovino, WL, Navy
Multi-year starter: Caroline Godine, #8, North Carolina
Jocelyn Torres, #25, Virginia Tech
Nicole Cruthirds, WL, Virginia
Charlotte Hodgson, WL, Harvard
Negai Nakazawa, WL, Louisville
Ellie Traggio, WL, North Carolina
Starter: Marissa White, #2, North Carolina
Madison Beale, #3, Duke
Kiley Mottice, #18, North Carolina
Nikki Mennella, #28, Hofstra
Olivia Bruno, #31, Virginia
Kendall Steer, #32, Georgetown
Jaclyn Marszal, #42, Notre Dame/Delaware*
Alexa Capozzoli, WL, Saint Joseph’s
Ava Chiarella, WL, Rutgers
Superia Clark, WL, Syracuse
Mel Josephson, WL, Virginia
Alexis Morton, WL, Richmond
Caroline Kendall, WL, Dartmouth
Cydney Lisk, WL, Loyola
Claire Mahoney, WL, Brown
Olivia Rose, WL, Stanford
Bella Saviano, WL, Yale
Contributor: Maggie Weisman, #4, Maryland
Abigail LoCascio, #10, Northwestern
Peep Williams, #11, Stanford
Kaleigh Harden, #12, North Carolina
Emma Muchnick, #13, Maryland/Syracuse*
Shea Baker, #15, Boston College
Darcy Felter, #17, North Carolina
Rylee Bouvier, #19, Stanford
Abbey Herod, #22, Boston College
Sydney Smith, #27, Duke
Grace Turner, #30, Stanford*/Penn
Dillyn Patten, #36, Cornell
Gracie Britton, #38, Syracuse
Ceci Stein, #40, Michigan
Erika Ho, #41, Penn State
Maggie Golder, #44, Penn State
Jordan DeBlasio, #46, Syracuse*/Clemson
Ava Tighe, WL, Florida
Patricia Columbia-Walsh, WL, Penn
Emma Kelly, WL, Penn State
Maya Kendall, WL, Dartmouth
Lara Kology, WL, Florida
Brigid Manning, WL, Jacksonville
Gianna Monaco, WL, Florida
Cate Parsells, WL, Georgetown
Lauren Render, WL, Virginia Tech
Maddie Shoup, WL, Colorado
Elena Torres, WL, Villanova
Dakota Uy, WL, Stanford
Some takeaways:
-After no top 100 players were All-Americans as freshman, 3 were named AA as sophomores. That's less than the other classes I've analyzed through their first two seasons. 2020 had 5, while 2021 had 8.
-15 players in this class have reached all-conference, which is the same as 2021. 2020 had 23 players reach that mark by their sophomore season.
-This class has had 38 players reach starter status and 67 reach contributor status. The contributor class is the most of the three classes, while it sits in the middle for starters behind 2020
-Hard to see a true winner in this class, but the highest impact players have been Dolce and Taylor. I could see UNC ending up as having the top class based on sheer volume alone.
-And a note re: Taylor. It always makes me laugh when people claim she was unheralded or one of the Northwestern players who they turned into a really good lacrosse player. If you are rated as one of the top 100 players in your class out of thousands who play the sport, you're pretty damn good. The reason she probably wasn't in the top 50 is because she was listed as a midfielder coming out of high school but has played attack in college. That's a recurring theme on this list. Position changes should be something ILWomen considers if they don't already.
-I'll be back with 2023 at some point. Thanks for reading.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

USF has three kids portal to High Point and Ohio State. I think there is two more that left who was a 2023 commit, anyone know where they went? Also it looks like the number is now 5 2024s no longer with USF. Mindy is getting rid of kids left and right it seems.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

jff97 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:59 pm
And a note re: Taylor. It always makes me laugh when people claim she was unheralded or one of the Northwestern players who they turned into a really good lacrosse player. If you are rated as one of the top 100 players in your class out of thousands who play the sport, you're pretty damn good. The reason she probably wasn't in the top 50 is because she was listed as a midfielder coming out of high school but has played attack in college. That's a recurring theme on this list. Position changes should be something ILWomen considers if they don't already.
mid or attack, does it really matter? KAH saw something that others didn't. If they were so great, why were they not top 10?

I guess you can chalk it up to KAH/NU's player development. They take good players and turn them into great players.

Scane #27 > 2x Tewaaraton
Coykendall #22 > Tewaaraton finalist
Taylor WL > Tewaaraton finalist (so far)

Have a great weekend.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Yes. They have had some hits but they also had a lot of misses. Locasio, Munro, Weiner from that class. Leah Holmes who just graduated. Lapointe in last years class.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Deacon022 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:47 pm USF has three kids portal to High Point and Ohio State. I think there is two more that left who was a 2023 commit, anyone know where they went? Also it looks like the number is now 5 2024s no longer with USF. Mindy is getting rid of kids left and right it seems.
Holy Cross. Only knew of one 24 that did not sign/had offer pulled. That was a while ago and haven't followed that closely on the 24s so there certainly could be more I suppose.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

jff97 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:59 pm Back with another look at top 100 recruiting rankings, this time with the 2022 class.
Before I get started, here are links for previous classes.
2019: viewtopic.php?p=565927#p565927
2020: viewtopic.php?p=568327#p568327
2021: viewtopic.php?p=569566#p569566
This class had a unique recruiting experience, going through the process while the country was in the throes of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here's how things break down over the first two years. Players were ranked 1-50, and then 51-100 were given the "watch list" designation.
AA:Shea Dolce, #6, Boston College
Emmy Pascal, WL, Yale
Madison Taylor, WL, Northwestern
All-Conference: Kori Edmondson, #1, Maryland
Lucy Pearson, #20, Stanford
Kaitlyn Davies, #26, Florida
Haven Dora, #35, Princeton
Paris Masaracchia, #43, Clemson
Caitlin Boden, WL, James Madison
Camryn Callaghan, WL, Cincinnati
Ryan Dineen, WL, Denver
Madison Epke, WL, James Madison
Peyton Howell, WL, Louisville/Tampa*
Amelia Hughes, WL, Princeton
Ava Yovino, WL, Navy
Multi-year starter: Caroline Godine, #8, North Carolina
Jocelyn Torres, #25, Virginia Tech
Nicole Cruthirds, WL, Virginia
Charlotte Hodgson, WL, Harvard
Negai Nakazawa, WL, Louisville
Ellie Traggio, WL, North Carolina
Starter: Marissa White, #2, North Carolina
Madison Beale, #3, Duke
Kiley Mottice, #18, North Carolina
Nikki Mennella, #28, Hofstra
Olivia Bruno, #31, Virginia
Kendall Steer, #32, Georgetown
Jaclyn Marszal, #42, Notre Dame/Delaware*
Alexa Capozzoli, WL, Saint Joseph’s
Ava Chiarella, WL, Rutgers
Superia Clark, WL, Syracuse
Mel Josephson, WL, Virginia
Alexis Morton, WL, Richmond
Caroline Kendall, WL, Dartmouth
Cydney Lisk, WL, Loyola
Claire Mahoney, WL, Brown
Olivia Rose, WL, Stanford
Bella Saviano, WL, Yale
Contributor: Maggie Weisman, #4, Maryland
Abigail LoCascio, #10, Northwestern
Peep Williams, #11, Stanford
Kaleigh Harden, #12, North Carolina
Emma Muchnick, #13, Maryland/Syracuse*
Shea Baker, #15, Boston College
Darcy Felter, #17, North Carolina
Rylee Bouvier, #19, Stanford
Abbey Herod, #22, Boston College
Sydney Smith, #27, Duke
Grace Turner, #30, Stanford*/Penn
Dillyn Patten, #36, Cornell
Gracie Britton, #38, Syracuse
Ceci Stein, #40, Michigan
Erika Ho, #41, Penn State
Maggie Golder, #44, Penn State
Jordan DeBlasio, #46, Syracuse*/Clemson
Ava Tighe, WL, Florida
Patricia Columbia-Walsh, WL, Penn
Emma Kelly, WL, Penn State
Maya Kendall, WL, Dartmouth
Lara Kology, WL, Florida
Brigid Manning, WL, Jacksonville
Gianna Monaco, WL, Florida
Cate Parsells, WL, Georgetown
Lauren Render, WL, Virginia Tech
Maddie Shoup, WL, Colorado
Elena Torres, WL, Villanova
Dakota Uy, WL, Stanford
Some takeaways:
-After no top 100 players were All-Americans as freshman, 3 were named AA as sophomores. That's less than the other classes I've analyzed through their first two seasons. 2020 had 5, while 2021 had 8.
-15 players in this class have reached all-conference, which is the same as 2021. 2020 had 23 players reach that mark by their sophomore season.
-This class has had 38 players reach starter status and 67 reach contributor status. The contributor class is the most of the three classes, while it sits in the middle for starters behind 2020
-Hard to see a true winner in this class, but the highest impact players have been Dolce and Taylor. I could see UNC ending up as having the top class based on sheer volume alone.
-And a note re: Taylor. It always makes me laugh when people claim she was unheralded or one of the Northwestern players who they turned into a really good lacrosse player. If you are rated as one of the top 100 players in your class out of thousands who play the sport, you're pretty damn good. The reason she probably wasn't in the top 50 is because she was listed as a midfielder coming out of high school but has played attack in college. That's a recurring theme on this list. Position changes should be something ILWomen considers if they don't already.
I understand that this was a post about the players rated top 100 in that recruiting class but how can there be a conversation about the top 2023s without including Brigid Duffy, who was very under-recruited?
TBD

Post by TBD »

Very interesting list. A few more take aways:

--Total of 67 players listed so one third of top 100 2022 recruits have not yet panned out for their college teams.
--34 of the 67 are from the WL so slightly more than from top 50
--From AA through starters there are 38 players with 23 from WL and 15 from top 50
--Of the 29 contributors, 13 from WL and 16 from top 50
--Impact players completely missed from top 100: Angello (JHU), Duffy (Army), Cuocco (Drexel)
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

Deacon022 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:47 pm USF has three kids portal to High Point and Ohio State. I think there is two more that left who was a 2023 commit, anyone know where they went? Also it looks like the number is now 5 2024s no longer with USF. Mindy is getting rid of kids left and right it seems.
I believe the four players are joining High Point, Holy Cross, Ohio State, and Virginia Tech.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:39 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:26 pm In my opinion, Cap limits would force those top teams mto not grab the ten best commits on the board. And that would trickle all the way down. So in theory, teams outside the top 25 would be better because they would have a higher caliber roster. Which was make for better games.

I see what you are saying and agree to an extent. It I still think it’s a trickle down effect. Use the class of 2025. Although Notre Dame took two billionaire kids that will never see playing time, they also grabbed some top kids they wouldn’t have been able to if the roster cap was 32. And that’s even if they don’t take the alumni kids. Same can be said for UNC and Clemson and other top schools. Even if you take away two alums that are meh, UNC can’t grab 6 of the best midfielders and one attacker in Sept if their cap is 32. They wouldn’t have the room. Maybe they grab King but couldn’t grab Lauretani. And she would have went somewhere else. Clemson certainly wouldn’t have been able to add Spallina and Eisfeld with cap limits. It all trickles down. Will it make a huge difference, no not for the championship bit that is because the scholarship rule is going to have its advantages for some teams. The one thing I believe will be sure is there will be better players on the lower ranked teams. Which should make those games more interesting and competetive. Or not. Who knows?
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:33 pm

Was there a point to reposting ?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

McLax9777 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:00 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:33 pm

Was there a point to reposting ?
I’m assuming he added a retort but it didn’t take and only sent the quote. It’s a moot point now. Looks like the roster cap is 38.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”