Navy 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Turnandrake

Re: Navy 2025

Post by Turnandrake »

Any chance phipps comes back to navy as HC ? Still lives in the area.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

Turnandrake wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:15 pm Any chance phipps comes back to navy as HC ? Still lives in the area.
That would make a lot of people happy, I know that.

But my understanding is Coach Amplo was extended.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Abr2016 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:13 am
Turnandrake wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:15 pm Any chance phipps comes back to navy as HC ? Still lives in the area.

Phipps could definitely be a top candidate someday. I do wish Amplo the best. The thing is, how much more time does he get to get things to even higher levels?
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Abr2016 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:13 am

Any more insight on the Amplo extension? Years / incentives ? A bit surprising if it's "long-term" but could show some more patience from the AD (who has always been antsy).
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:42 pm
Laxinmay wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:25 pm
HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:14 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:34 pm Assuming Amplo doesn't make it a whole lot longer, would anyone's top two choices for the next coach be John Tillman and Ryan Wellner?
0 shot JT leaves. Wellner a hard maybe. Coaching at academies is a tough task. Even tougher with NIL money at other top programs. Takes a very specific type of kid
Sign me up for either one! Bring 1 of them "home". But I would agree, Tillman has a great situation and one would argue Wellner maybe the next in line at ND and will wait it out. We may have missed our window on both.
I agree Navy may have missed the window on Wellner as a future hire although there’s always the hope he has an affection for Annapolis and the special type of kid who plays USNA lacrosse. (Although, having met a number of the Notre Dame players briefly at this year’s Tewaaraton ceremony I found them quite impressive as well although the willingness to accept a commission to serve your country sets the service academy athletes apart for me.)

I am not sure there really ever was a window for Tillman; he was so loyal to Coach Meade that I think the only way he would have taken the job was if RM had truly voluntarily stepped away from Division I head coaching while Tillman was still at Navy or while he was at Harvard. RM wanted to keep coaching, and Tillman would not take the job to replace a pushed out RM, so I just don’t see a world where Navy could have gotten Tillman.
They way for AD Gladchuk to retain both Meade & Tillman would have been to work out a transition plan for RM to become an Assoc AD (as his Coach & mentor Wilie Scroggs did at UNC) & for JT to step up to HC. RM could have done so much for NAAA & USNA. He established his lax camp which became the prototype which was copied by all the other Navy sports. He taught boxing & could have been involved in the Brigade Boxing Championship. He was very much admired & liked by the other Navy coaches & NAAA staff & employees. He was even offered a faculty position in the Ethics Dept in hopes of retaining him at USNA. There was a way to craft a dignified transition, but span of control was an issue. Well done to Coach Amplo for what he has done to maintain the link between RM & the lax brotherhood.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There were several coaches who did not reply to Navy bcs of the RM situation and their ties. RM was a perfect fit for USNA. But those wealthy alums who wanted to turn back the clock. Were it not for an injured goalie they might have won the title in 2094.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Should be 2004 for Richie
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:39 am
The Orfling wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:42 pm
Laxinmay wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:25 pm
HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:14 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:34 pm Assuming Amplo doesn't make it a whole lot longer, would anyone's top two choices for the next coach be John Tillman and Ryan Wellner?
0 shot JT leaves. Wellner a hard maybe. Coaching at academies is a tough task. Even tougher with NIL money at other top programs. Takes a very specific type of kid
Sign me up for either one! Bring 1 of them "home". But I would agree, Tillman has a great situation and one would argue Wellner maybe the next in line at ND and will wait it out. We may have missed our window on both.
I agree Navy may have missed the window on Wellner as a future hire although there’s always the hope he has an affection for Annapolis and the special type of kid who plays USNA lacrosse. (Although, having met a number of the Notre Dame players briefly at this year’s Tewaaraton ceremony I found them quite impressive as well although the willingness to accept a commission to serve your country sets the service academy athletes apart for me.)

I am not sure there really ever was a window for Tillman; he was so loyal to Coach Meade that I think the only way he would have taken the job was if RM had truly voluntarily stepped away from Division I head coaching while Tillman was still at Navy or while he was at Harvard. RM wanted to keep coaching, and Tillman would not take the job to replace a pushed out RM, so I just don’t see a world where Navy could have gotten Tillman.
They way for AD Gladchuk to retain both Meade & Tillman would have been to work out a transition plan for RM to become an Assoc AD (as his Coach & mentor Wilie Scroggs did at UNC) & for JT to step up to HC. RM could have done so much for NAAA & USNA. He established his lax camp which became the prototype which was copied by all the other Navy sports. He taught boxing & could have been involved in the Brigade Boxing Championship. He was very much admired & liked by the other Navy coaches & NAAA staff & employees. He was even offered a faculty position in the Ethics Dept in hopes of retaining him at USNA. There was a way to craft a dignified transition, but span of control was an issue. Well done to Coach Amplo for what he has done to maintain the link between RM & the lax brotherhood.
All great points about RM's multi-faceted talents; one of the best human beings in and around the game of lacrosse and an inspirational leader (his best skill actually may be in mentoring coaches). I would just say that it's hard for people to walk away.

Recently read something (Wall Street Journal, maybe?) that for older people in high status, high-power jobs, they enjoy working longer and are less eager to embrace retirement than those with less prestige/power/status. Intuitive in many ways although perhaps I might have thought getting away from the stress of a CEO/head coaching job would be somewhat enticing.

Long way of saying that I don't know if RM himself would have been open to such a transition plan? If yes, then agree, missed opportunity. But when Tills went to Harvard it suggested to me that he understood that his boss had the intent to stay as head coach for a decade or more.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Navy's 2026 class is looking good so far!
laxdadj

Post by laxdadj »

How are they looking good? Based on something they have done on the field, or do you mean they all made it through Summer training? It's been very quiet based on how summer recruiting has gone so far.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

laxdadj wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:43 pm How are they looking good? Based on something they have done on the field, or do you mean they all made it through Summer training? It's been very quiet based on how summer recruiting has gone so far.
I think he’s talking about the 2026 high school class. We have had a couple kids commit to us this summer. But that’s usually the case since we can start contacting July 1.

Dont think any of the recruits are highly rated though.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

This guy has an upside,
not Malvern Prep or Haverford, but still 2 years in the PA IAC will help, Doc Dougherty has lifted that program recently,
Eric Spanos type moves,
Ty Xander’s new site has him on their 2026 watch list,

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Scrimmage with Penn on Oct 20
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Looking over the 2024 roster of Juniors and Soph's, it sure does not get one excited. Also, two defensive Captains named for the 24/25 season. Not implying the cupboards are bare at all, but from an offensive perspective, the new OC will certainly have to improvise, adapt, and hopefully over come.

Sometimes NOT have a star can be beneficial. If they had selected me as the new OC, this would be the time to implement the 6 position-less offensive system. The irony of two defensive minded coaches with a heavy dose of defensive depth, would make for a prime opportunity to blow up the current defensive scheme with 6 offensive player flying around with zero idea on the defense where to slide from...havoc would ensue during practices.

As a new OC, I would be vying for offense only practices during the off-season and first part of the season/weekly, and quick classes during lunch break to teach flow, build chemistry, and develop field IQ. Yes, we would take our lumps at first, but we would also be building the defensive unit without them even knowing it, as the learned to play in a frenetic system.

Will be interesting to see what is presented on the field this season.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Outside of Army the PL is wide open this year.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Out of curiosity, How does one go about transferring IN to UNSA?
Saw a kid from the local JuCo is doing just that and is listed as a lacrosse commitment.
Didn't realize that was a possibility, given the rigors of attending a Military Academy and how much inculcation occurs during plebe year.
Or would he be starting over?
Curious what that would look like.
laxfanctfc

Post by laxfanctfc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:45 am Out of curiosity, How does one go about transferring IN to UNSA?
Saw a kid from the local JuCo is doing just that and is listed as a lacrosse commitment.
Didn't realize that was a possibility, given the rigors of attending a Military Academy and how much inculcation occurs during plebe year.
Or would he be starting over?
Curious what that would look like.
He would start as a Plebe.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:44 am Looking over the 2024 roster of Juniors and Soph's, it sure does not get one excited. Also, two defensive Captains named for the 24/25 season. Not implying the cupboards are bare at all, but from an offensive perspective, the new OC will certainly have to improvise, adapt, and hopefully over come.

Sometimes NOT have a star can be beneficial. If they had selected me as the new OC, this would be the time to implement the 6 position-less offensive system. The irony of two defensive minded coaches with a heavy dose of defensive depth, would make for a prime opportunity to blow up the current defensive scheme with 6 offensive player flying around with zero idea on the defense where to slide from...havoc would ensue during practices.

As a new OC, I would be vying for offense only practices during the off-season and first part of the season/weekly, and quick classes during lunch break to teach flow, build chemistry, and develop field IQ. Yes, we would take our lumps at first, but we would also be building the defensive unit without them even knowing it, as the learned to play in a frenetic system.

I hope this is a schtick.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Abr2016 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:03 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:44 am Looking over the 2024 roster of Juniors and Soph's, it sure does not get one excited. Also, two defensive Captains named for the 24/25 season. Not implying the cupboards are bare at all, but from an offensive perspective, the new OC will certainly have to improvise, adapt, and hopefully over come.

I hope this is a schtick.
not intended as, but hoped it would cultivate discussion…so please provide your counter?

What can we discuss from 2024 that can carry over into 25’ on the offensive side? #10 is the only returning offensive player that has logged a track record of game reps and scoring….praying he is at 100% for his final season.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”