Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: Israel and the West Bank Settlements Issue

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:29 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:54 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:28 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:52 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:32 am
njbill wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:59 pm And of course, his own vice presidential nominee calls him America’s Hitler.
You do realize that was not a public statement. Vance said that in a private text to his law school roommate during the 2016 campaign.
The roommate leaked it & went on to be a (D) GA state senator. Vance admitted he was wrong. Something you're unable to do regarding Biden's "condition".
No, I didn’t realize it was not a public statement, but why does that matter? Was he lying to his friend? In fact, that he said it privately strongly suggests, if not proves, that’s what he actually believed.

He thought Trump was America’s Hitler in 2016. What has Trump done since then to disabuse him of that notion? I’ll answer that. Nothing. In fact, he has done and said things time and time again to prove Vance was correct in 2016.

Vance hasn’t changed what he is saying about Trump because he now thinks he was “wrong” back then. Vance, like so many other Republicans (McCarthy, McConnell, Rubio, the list goes on and on) have publicly changed their stance on Trump to curry favor with Der Fuhrer. Vance is an ambitious politician (now). Of course he has to praise him as though he were Kim Jong-un.
It was not a definitive statement. He said he was conflicted. It was banter between friends, said in confidence...until the 'friend" opportunistically leaked it. Maybe, like the others you name, he watched Trump govern, got to know him & changed his opinion.
I didn’t read the full text of what I guess was a Facebook post before my earlier post.

Actually, it suggests to me that Vance was pretty perceptive back then. I certainly hated Trump in 2016, but I wasn’t thinking at that time that he was America’s Hitler.

The fact that it was a private comment strongly suggests to me that that is what he really thought. If I am talking privately to the coach I scout for, I will give her my candid assessment of a player, positive and negative. If I am talking to that player’s parents, or to a group of parents, I will not mention any negative comments I have about the player.

That Vance may have been comparing Trump, alternatively, to Nixon or Hitler is not exactly a compliment. To my thinking, that waters down only very slightly the comparison to Hitler. I don’t think you would like to be compared, in the alternative, to Hitler. I certainly wouldn’t.
Keep in mind bill, that was hyperbolic private banter between 2 friends at a time when Trump was still a largely unknown quantity.
After Trump won & began governing, Vance obviously changed his opinion & he has told us why.
A rational change of opinion, over time, based on subsequent real evidence, is not a flip flop.
Consider how we StL Cardinal fans developed an appreciation for Richie=>Dick Allen, once he became a Redbird.
We saw how well he played & fit in when he was healthy.
Haha. Kinda like how we Phillies fans came to like Pete Rose, but only for the years he played for us and greatly helped win our first World Series. Before his time here and after, I didn’t care for him. Haven’t watched his HBO special yet, but have taped it.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:14 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:26 am It just warms your heart to see the protesters trained and inspired by Iran doing their dirty work for them. When Bibi refers to them as Irans " useful idiots " he could not be more correct. Is vandalizing public property and burning American flags all inclusive to how a " peaceful protest " is defined in the year 2024? :roll:
You could not be more wrong. I gotta give Bengie credit he further damaged our relationship with his distortions and lies. Again a failure to understand history and context. As always
You could not be more wrong. Do you agree that peaceful protests should include vandalism of public property and burning the American flag. That is a message that will NEVER resonate with the American people. What exactly does burning the American flag have to do with their b***h with Israel? What does vandalizing statues with graffiti have to do with Gaza? I think Bibi nailed it spot on. Useful idiots says it all. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:50 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:26 am It just warms your heart to see the protesters trained and inspired by Iran doing their dirty work for them. When Bibi refers to them as Irans " useful idiots " he could not be more correct. Is vandalizing public property and burning American flags all inclusive to how a " peaceful protest " is defined in the year 2024? :roll:
You could not be more wrong. I gotta give Bengie credit he further damaged our relationship with his distortions and lies. Again a failure to understand history and context. As always
You could not be more wrong. Do you agree that peaceful protests should include vandalism of public property and burning the American flag. That is a message that will NEVER resonate with the American people. What exactly does burning the American flag have to do with their b***h with Israel? What does vandalizing statues with graffiti have to do with Gaza? I think Bibi nailed it spot on. Useful idiots says it all. :roll:
Where were the DC police while all this was going on?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:54 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:50 am
Where were the DC police while all this was going on?
Good question. It is a disgusting thing to do that will alienate more people against your cause than persuade people to your point of view. I'm surprised that intelligent people who truly are devastated by what has happened in Gaza would be discouraging this behavior and demanding it stop immediately. It cancels out the entire message of what the actual peaceful protest was all about. What the majority of Americans witnessed disgusts them to their core. I have no doubt that more harm than good will be the net result of yesterdays behavior.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:55 pm Are police afraid to intervene? Why is this allowed? https://x.com/stillgray/status/1816214041209057471
Agreed. Good question.
Where were the DC police?
https://wtop.com/government/2024/07/net ... sraeli-pm/
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:05 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:55 pm Are police afraid to intervene? Why is this allowed? https://x.com/stillgray/status/1816214041209057471
Agreed. Good question.
So why wasn't the spray painter arrested and charged? I mean he was at it for more than a few minutes?
Ditto for those pulling down flags and defacing/burning them?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:44 am
old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:29 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:54 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:28 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:52 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:32 am
njbill wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:59 pm And of course, his own vice presidential nominee calls him America’s Hitler.
You do realize that was not a public statement. Vance said that in a private text to his law school roommate during the 2016 campaign.
The roommate leaked it & went on to be a (D) GA state senator. Vance admitted he was wrong. Something you're unable to do regarding Biden's "condition".
No, I didn’t realize it was not a public statement, but why does that matter? Was he lying to his friend? In fact, that he said it privately strongly suggests, if not proves, that’s what he actually believed.

He thought Trump was America’s Hitler in 2016. What has Trump done since then to disabuse him of that notion? I’ll answer that. Nothing. In fact, he has done and said things time and time again to prove Vance was correct in 2016.

Vance hasn’t changed what he is saying about Trump because he now thinks he was “wrong” back then. Vance, like so many other Republicans (McCarthy, McConnell, Rubio, the list goes on and on) have publicly changed their stance on Trump to curry favor with Der Fuhrer. Vance is an ambitious politician (now). Of course he has to praise him as though he were Kim Jong-un.
It was not a definitive statement. He said he was conflicted. It was banter between friends, said in confidence...until the 'friend" opportunistically leaked it. Maybe, like the others you name, he watched Trump govern, got to know him & changed his opinion.
I didn’t read the full text of what I guess was a Facebook post before my earlier post.

Actually, it suggests to me that Vance was pretty perceptive back then. I certainly hated Trump in 2016, but I wasn’t thinking at that time that he was America’s Hitler.

The fact that it was a private comment strongly suggests to me that that is what he really thought. If I am talking privately to the coach I scout for, I will give her my candid assessment of a player, positive and negative. If I am talking to that player’s parents, or to a group of parents, I will not mention any negative comments I have about the player.

That Vance may have been comparing Trump, alternatively, to Nixon or Hitler is not exactly a compliment. To my thinking, that waters down only very slightly the comparison to Hitler. I don’t think you would like to be compared, in the alternative, to Hitler. I certainly wouldn’t.
Keep in mind bill, that was hyperbolic private banter between 2 friends at a time when Trump was still a largely unknown quantity.
After Trump won & began governing, Vance obviously changed his opinion & he has told us why.
A rational change of opinion, over time, based on subsequent real evidence, is not a flip flop.
Consider how we StL Cardinal fans developed an appreciation for Richie=>Dick Allen, once he became a Redbird.
We saw how well he played & fit in when he was healthy.
Haha. Kinda like how we Phillies fans came to like Pete Rose, but only for the years he played for us and greatly helped win our first World Series. Before his time here and after, I didn’t care for him. Haven’t watched his HBO special yet, but have taped it.
Charlie hustle was an enigma as a ball player fun to watch him play. Then sometimes you would watch him play and say what an ass. In those years that I played baseball I never once attempted a headfirst slide.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Agreed. Good question.
The end to any war historically only comes about when one side wins and the other sides loses. What people are demanding in reality is to stop the fighting temporarily until both sides are ready and prepared to have at it again when the time is right.
Bob Ross:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:03 am
Agreed. Good question.
The end to any war historically only comes about when one side wins and the other sides loses. What people are demanding in reality is to stop the fighting temporarily until both sides are ready and prepared to have at it again when the time is right.
Historically false. There you go again. Your reply was totally off topic. Bcs of course thst is the best you can do.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:30 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:03 am
Agreed. Good question.
Historically false. There you go again. Your reply was totally off topic. Bcs of course thst is the best you can do.
It was a bit off topic but still relevant. Explain for me another way that a war can be ended without one side winning and one side losing. I'll keep an open mind and wait for you to give me an example. You need to take into account that I prefaced my comment with the word historically. I'm going through a bunch of wars in mind. So far one side has won and the other side has lost. Your enlightenment on this issue would be much appreciated. Do keep in mind my reference to the word historically.
Bob Ross:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Vietnam and Korea.not to mention the US and UK in 1814.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:48 am Vietnam and Korea.not to mention the US and UK in 1814.
Well my memory tells me that North Vietnam won. North Korea and South Korea are still technically at war. They have survived via a truce since 1953. It happens to be the most volatile and uneasy truce on the planet. Did you know American soldiers still do combat patrols along the DMZ along with the ROK army? Why occasionally now and then when they are bored the Norks will take a few pot shots at our troops. I'm beginning to wonder how you interpret how wars are won and lost. I bet if I did a little bit of digging I could find some of George Pattons opinions about who winners and losers historically are when it comes to warfare. Georgie Patton did know a thing or two about war.
As to the war of 1812 the US won because they signed a treaty. Ironically enough the Brits got their asses handed to them at the Battle of New Orleans after the war had already ended. You never heard that song?

In 1814 we took took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Missip

We cooked a little bacon and we cooked a little beans and we culped the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.
We fired our guns and the British kept a comin there wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they begin to running down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

FTR is that song historically correct or did Johnny Horton get it all wrong? :D
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:29 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:48 am Vietnam and Korea.not to mention the US and UK in 1814.
Well my memory tells me that North Vietnam won. North Korea and South Korea are still technically at war. They have survived via a truce since 1953. It happens to be the most volatile and uneasy truce on the planet. Did you know American soldiers still do combat patrols along the DMZ along with the ROK army? Why occasionally now and then when they are bored the Norks will take a few pot shots at our troops. I'm beginning to wonder how you interpret how wars are won and lost. I bet if I did a little bit of digging I could find some of George Pattons opinions about who winners and losers historically are when it comes to warfare. Georgie Patton did know a thing or two about war.
As to the war of 1812 the US won because they signed a treaty. Ironically enough the Brits got their asses handed to them at the Battle of New Orleans after the war had already ended. You never heard that song?

In 1814 we took took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Missip

We cooked a little bacon and we cooked a little beans and we culped the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.
We fired our guns and the British kept a comin there wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they begin to running down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Johnny Horton never mentioned that the Battle of New Orleans occurred AFTER a peace treaty ending hostilities was signed in Ghent, Belgium
so it had ZERO effect on the outcome of the conflict.

Horton was a singer not a historian. :oops:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:54 pm

Johnny Horton never mentioned that the Battle of New Orleans occurred AFTER a peace treaty ending hostilities was signed in Ghent, Belgium

No he didn't have to. His song made fun of the British Army and how Colonel Jackson whupped the tar out of them.

And they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles and they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go. They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch em along the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. I'm guessing the song was never very bloody popular in Jolly old England.

At least you remember the battle happened after the war had formally ended.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:41 pm

No he didn't have to. His song made fun of the British Army and how Colonel Jackson whupped the tar out of them.

And they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles and they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go. They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch em along the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. I'm guessing the song was never very bloody popular in Jolly old England.

I remember a lot more history than you for sure.
Despite Old Hickory's kicking British butts, they still managed to burn most of Washington DC in the summer of 1815 including the Capitol and White House in addition to the Navy Yard and many other public buildings. With minimal resistance from American military

Horton also famously celebrated the sinking of the Bismarck, too.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:32 pm

Despite Old Hickory's kicking British rump, they still managed to burn most of Washington DC in the summer of 1815 including the Capitol and White House in addition to the Navy Yard and many other public buildings.

Yep, I remember that as well. Those obnoxious Brits. Bloody uncivil them of them old chap. What history is your expertise in? I may be rusty after almost 50 years. I use to have every history test and essay I ever wrote in high school. I would still have them today if my dad hadn't thrown the box out when I was in the army. How many HS students today do you know that the Battle of New Orleans was fought after the war had officially ended. Without cheating do you know the only battle that George Patton allegedly lost? Remember...no cheating.
FTR your history is a bit rusty. The British burned DC in the summer of 1814. You were close, you were only off by 1 year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now don't you just feel silly right about now? ;) I never even went to college.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:43 pm

Despite Old Hickory's kicking British rump, they still managed to burn most of Washington DC in the summer of 1815 including the Capitol and White House in addition to the Navy Yard and many other public buildings.

Yep, I remember that as well. Those obnoxious Brits. Bloody uncivil them of them old chap. What history is your expertise in? I may be rusty after almost 50 years. I use to have every history test and essay I ever wrote in high school. I would still have them today if my dad hadn't thrown the box out when I was in the army. How many HS students today do you know that the Battle of New Orleans was fought after the war had officially ended. Without cheating do you know the only battle that George Patton allegedly lost? Remember...no cheating.
FTR your history is a bit rusty. The British burned DC in the summer of 1814. You were close, you were only off by 1 year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Touche' Cradle..... :lol:

Have not done any surveys on the Battle of New Orleans lately. Maybe something you can look up. ;)

Unless you want to name the first six frigates commissioned into the US Navy? I'll wait.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

What did you say you knew? 1814 was the year rhe treaty ending the war was signed. Treaty of Ghent i believe. Strike three for you
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:00 pm

Have not done any surveys on the Battle of New Orleans lately. Maybe something you can look up. ;)

Unless you want to name the first six frigates commissioned into the US Navy? I'll wait.
Well I'm not a not a Navy man. I would be forced to cheat and that isn't playing by the rules. I do know the only worthwhile tank the US Army had in inventory at the very start of the war was the M3 J.E.B. Stuart. A retroactive name change is allegedly in the works. If my dad hadn't thrown out all my high school history stuff I'm sure I would have had an essay in the box somewhere.

FTR...thanks a lot now I have to look it up. :D
Mission accomplished
United States
Constellation
Constitution
Congress
President
Chesapeake
I belt Old Salt would have nailed it. Since I'm laid up for awhile I can read more about them
I'm assuming the USS Constitution is the old ironsides we all know and love still in our inventory to this day.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:09 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:00 pm

Well I'm not a not a Navy man. I would be forced to cheat and that isn't playing by the rules. I do know the only worthwhile tank the US Army had in inventory at the very start of the war was the M3 J.E.B. Stuart. A retroactive name change is allegedly in the works. If my dad hadn't thrown out all my high school history stuff I'm sure I would have had an essay in the box somewhere.

FTR...thanks a lot now I have to look it up. :D
Mission accomplished
United States
Constellation
Constitution
Congress
President
Chesapeake
I belt Old Salt would have nailed it. Since I'm laid up for awhile I can read more about them
I'm assuming the USS Constitution is the old ironsides we all know and love still in our inventory to this day.
very good Cradle although you did have to look it up. Quite right USS Constitution is still actively commissioned in the US Navy berthed in Boston MA.

Now tell me the subject of first figurehead on her bowsprit/billethead after her original commission in 1794 - a later version celebrated Andrew Jackson in commemoration of his victory at the battle of New Orleans - try not to look it up
Here is a hint - subject is known for incredible individual strength and is NOT Hulk Hogan. ;)

Return to “POLITICS”