The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: 2024

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:30 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:51 pm Kamala is 'shook' when se gets called out on 60 Minutes: https://x.com/RNCResearch/status/1816188767809704417

GovTrack apparently deletes it: https://x.com/DrJustinbass/status/1816209590935249050

https://x.com/GaGal012/status/1816190983043965356
:lol: :lol: :lol: Kamala is the "most liberal Senator"???

What does that tell you, YA?

What you should get from this is: "wholy f'ing sh(t, the US Government has moved waaaaaaay to the Right since the Reagan Era".

We passed an embarrassingly low 27 laws in 2023, YA. If that doesn't tell you how broken our country is, nothing will. How many problems do we have, and we passed just 27 laws last year?

I'll bite, though.....I can't think of a single "liberal" law that was passed since Biden showed up. You'll have to help me out here.
It didnt say Biden was liberal and the thread is 2024....you doing okay? ;)
Bumped me head. Got the years wrong.

Mea culpa!! Thank you for the help.

(see guys, not hard to admit when you're wrong)

That said...what bills could Harris have possibly voted on that would make her a liberal during Trump?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
njbill

Post by njbill »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:35 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:10 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:46 pm You betcha Joe is pissed. And rightly so. His supposed partners in the Democratic Party stabbed him in the back and threw him under the bus.

The main villain is Pelosi, though Obama is not far behind. She persuaded the donors to cut off the money. When the books are written about this saga down the road, Pelosi and Obama are gonna come off really badly especially if Harris loses.

The Dems had the high moral ground over Trump and could claim they were working to save democracy. They totally blew it. What they just did is as anti-democratic as could be.
You're right about Clooney as irrelevant, (other than perhaps as another canary in the coal mine).

But I think you're wrong about the professional politicians. They're pros. They looked at data, they looked at money flow, they looked at trend lines, they looked at down ballot impacts, and they made a consistent judgment across the board. Fully understanding the downside risks. A whole lot of them who know this business way, way better than any of us Fanlax posters.

Could Joe have won? We'll never know, but a heck of a lot of people looked at that debate, just like I did, as an epic disaster which turned an uphill chance of winning (when by all my measures should have been a runaway given the horribleness of the alternative) to a potential landslide defeat. Didn't mean I wasn't going to vote for Joe given the alternative, but man, it was depressing. And he did nothing in the ensuing weeks to prove the debate was a one-off or that there was any way he could meet the demand for fresh new face and ideas, a generational shift. Just nothing left in the quiver.

I disagree about "anti-democratic" as the representatives of 14 million die hard primary voters get the final say. Another 65 million+ will likely show up and vote for her...hopefully on the + side of that.

Joe weighed in hard on behalf of Harris but the delegates weren't bound to do what he advised...they made their own calculations on behalf of those who voted for them and their own beliefs as to what had the best chance of success. Super swiftly, because, IMO, it was super obvious. That no one wanted to challenge Harris isn't "anti-democratic" it's that they understand the strength of her pole position and the benefits of rallying to her side.

Just importantly, the massive outpouring of small donor support, 60% brand new donors, speaks volumes about what folks think about this call. Same for the massive sign-up of new volunteers.

The Dems very much still have the moral high ground over Trump...it ain't close and grinding about it does zero good.

As I wrote earlier, the Brits tossed aside Churchill shortly after the end of the war, a war they very likely would not have survived absent his leadership. History looks super favorably on Churchill and for much the same reasons I think history will do the same for Biden.

But, yes, Harris needs to win...let's get behind that full force.
For what it's worth, my kids (28, 25) and all of their friends, whom I regularly see around our town or who communicate regularly with them, were gobsmacked by the debate performance. Their regular way of consuming news and communicating it -- social media, Instagram, the odious TikTok, etc. -- amplified Joe's age and relative infirmity in a way that I, anyway, really couldn't understand or absorb.

I have the highest regard for njbill, but I do think the professional political people did the right thing. If Biden is pissed, then having been a President, Vice President, and multi-term Senator will at least be something to sink back into at the end of the line. History will remember Biden with both kindness and respect. I know I will.
... Joe will be in the top 10 presidents list, the day he leaves office. He has an impressive legacy.
He could well be top 10. Rs won't agree of course.

Here is one list I found:

Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Theodore Roosevelt
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Harry S. Truman
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy
Ronald Reagan
Barack Obama
Lyndon B. Johnson
James Monroe
Woodrow Wilson
William McKinley
John Adams
James Madison
John Quincy Adams
James K. Polk
William J. Clinton
Ulysses S. Grant
George H. W. Bush
Andrew Jackson
William Howard Taft
Calvin Coolidge
Grover Cleveland
Jimmy Carter
James A. Garfield
Gerald R. Ford
George W. Bush
Chester A. Arthur
Richard M. Nixon
Benjamin Harrison
Rutherford B. Hayes
Martin Van Buren
Zachary Taylor
Herbert Hoover
Warren G. Harding
Millard Fillmore
John Tyler
William Henry Harrison
Donald J. Trump
Franklin Pierce
Andrew Johnson
James Buchanan

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2 ... ge=overall
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:57 pm +1 njbill. Happy see someone else calling balls and strikes, while not tolerating damned near everything.
In what world has anyone here been happy with the choices that the Dem and R party FORCED us to choose between?

The idea that this is a new thing is, I'm sorry, absurd.

We had Hillary v. Trump.

Biden v. Trump

and then again, Biden v. Trump. How can anyone claim with a straight face that this is what the majority of Americans wanted?
Trump was hardly the preferred choice of donors & party elders in 2016. Jeb was their man. Trump beat a talented field of candidates.
He did the same thing this year (to my surprise). The Dems kept him in the news, made him a victim, keeping his supporters engaged.
GOP party elders preferred DeSantis, Haley, &/or Rubio.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:05 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:57 pm +1 njbill. Happy see someone else calling balls and strikes, while not tolerating damned near everything.
In what world has anyone here been happy with the choices that the Dem and R party FORCED us to choose between?

We had Hillary v. Trump.

Biden v. Trump

and then again, Biden v. Trump. How can anyone claim with a straight face that this is what the majority of Americans wanted?
Trump was hardly the preferred choice of donors & party elders in 2016.
At first. Then the usual shenanigans, regardless of party, started.....you've just forgotten about them.

Once it looks like someone is winning...the shenanigans start as Party insiders jockey for favors and power. Same as it ever was.

Representing the people and getting who they want nominated has NOTHING to do with the process for either party.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:54 am
old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:05 am

We had Hillary v. Trump.

Biden v. Trump

Trump was hardly the preferred choice of donors & party elders in 2016.
At first. Then the usual shenanigans, regardless of party, started.....you've just forgotten about them.

Once it looks like someone is winning...the shenanigans start as Party insiders jockey for favors and power. Same as it ever was.

Representing the people and getting who they want nominated has NOTHING to do with the process for either party.
The politicians pick the voters
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:20 pm BLM Chiming in & pissed off. https://x.com/Blklivesmatter/status/1815629502128533647
Staying engaged: https://x.com/Blklivesmatter/status/1816306232786853956

Kamala was selected, not elected.

But the solution is simple.

Join us in calling on
@TheDemocrats
to let the American people vote in an informal, virtual primary (an online vote) ASAP so our communities can weigh in on this unprecedented moment. Democracy demands no less.

Sign our petition to the DNC: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/call-on ... n-process/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

WSJ Guy: Kamala would be the best Democratic candidate.
Harris: I'm running
WSJ Guy: Wait, I was wrong a week or two ago...

MSM like the WSJ has been pathetically predictable since it was all bought out.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:15 am WSJ Guy: Kamala would be the best Democratic candidate.
Harris: I'm running
WSJ Guy: Wait, I was wrong a week or two ago...

MSM like the WSJ has been pathetically predictable since it was all bought out.

I don't know if she is the best candidate but she certainly was the most obvious one. The dog and pony shows will be over at the end of August. Then campaigning will hit full stride. By then both candidates campaign honchos will have done a deep dive into what they think their opponents major weaknesses are. Then you hammer away at them mercilessly over and over. At the end of it all we will find out where the bull chit the buckwheat.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

When I voted for Biden in the New Hampshire primary, I knew a couple of things: (1) that I was voting for a guy who would turn 82 shortly after the 2024 election; and (2) I was voting for Harris to continue as his Vice President, the person who the Constitution mandates would become the President in the event of the President's death or infirmity. I also knew I was voting for, similar to the Electoral College, a slate of delegates to carry my state's sense, based on the primary voting, to the Democratic Convention. Because I am a grown up, I also kind of knew that if Biden died on August 8, or something, the delegates would likely be invested with the responsibility and duty to nominate a replacement for Biden, and that a "primary" Mulligan wouldn't be possible.

Maybe if the support for Harris had been tepid, mixed, etc., I would be concerned about the failure to see through a strict adherence to an actual direct vote for the would-be candidate. But I am content with the process under these literally unprecedented circumstances.

And -- I have to say -- I am not much impressed by the clamor over this coming from the party of the Fake Elector Scheme, who thought little or nothing of disenfranchising 81,000,000 of their fellow citizens with a scheme that was plainly wrong and illegal, and probably contributed to the January 6 assault on the nation's capitol.

I am a little surprised at the BLM twitter post, but would refer BLM to my first paragraph, above. I understand what BLM is saying; but it puts aside the factors in the paragraphs above, and is a bad idea for other reasons. As a tactical matter, I think it is a bad idea -- if the goal is to win -- to slow any positive momentum of the now prohibitive favorite with a faux national digital primary.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:30 am When I voted for Biden in the New Hampshire primary, I knew a couple of things: (1) that I was voting for a guy who would turn 82 shortly after the 2024 election; and (2) I was voting for Harris to continue as his Vice President, the person who the Constitution mandates would become the President in the event of the President's death or infirmity. I also knew I was voting for, similar to the Electoral College, a slate of delegates to carry my state's sense, based on the primary voting, to the Democratic Convention. Because I am a grown up, I also kind of knew that if Biden died on August 8, or something, the delegates would likely be invested with the responsibility and duty to nominate a replacement for Biden, and that a "primary" Mulligan wouldn't be possible.

Maybe if the support for Harris had been tepid, mixed, etc., I would be concerned about the failure to see through a strict adherence to an actual direct vote for the would-be candidate. But I am content with the process under these literally unprecedented circumstances.

And -- I have to say -- I am not much impressed by the clamor over this coming from the party of the Fake Elector Scheme, who thought little or nothing of disenfranchising 81,000,000 of their fellow citizens with a scheme that was plainly wrong and illegal, and probably contributed to the January 6 assault on the nation's capitol.

I am a little surprised at the BLM twitter post, but would refer BLM to my first paragraph, above. I understand what BLM is saying; but it puts aside the factors in the paragraphs above, and is a bad idea for other reasons. As a tactical matter, I think it is a bad idea -- if the goal is to win -- to slow any positive momentum of the now prohibitive favorite with a faux national digital primary.
One thing counselor that has been mentioned but discussed in great depth yet as far as I know. This may be the earliest on record that an American president has become a lame duck. Will the inability of the DC machine to accomplish anything of merit cause a problem in the next 5 months? Is it possible the bad actors of the world might try and take advantage of this? Anything that could be looked at as even a temporary weakness can't possibly be a good thing.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:37 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:30 am When I voted for Biden in the New Hampshire primary, I knew a couple of things: (1) that I was voting for a guy who would turn 82 shortly after the 2024 election; and (2) I was voting for Harris to continue as his Vice President, the person who the Constitution mandates would become the President in the event of the President's death or infirmity. I also knew I was voting for, similar to the Electoral College, a slate of delegates to carry my state's sense, based on the primary voting, to the Democratic Convention. Because I am a grown up, I also kind of knew that if Biden died on August 8, or something, the delegates would likely be invested with the responsibility and duty to nominate a replacement for Biden, and that a "primary" Mulligan wouldn't be possible.

One thing counselor that has been mentioned but discussed in great depth yet as far as I know. This may be the earliest on record that an American president has become a lame duck. Will the inability of the DC machine to accomplish anything of merit cause a problem in the next 5 months? Is it possible the bad actors of the world might try and take advantage of this? Anything that could be looked at as even a temporary weakness can't possibly be a good thing.
Interesting thought C&S. It depends on how you see/define a lame duck. Second term Presidents are kind of lame ducks from their second inaugural on, right? Or at least once the second term President gets through the mid-term elections and the primaries to replace him start? So Joe has about five and a half months of his Presidency, which ends January 20, 2025. The principal knock on Lame Ducks is an inability to get anything done (Obama's last two years with Congress negating anything he tried to do), or doing stuff people didn't like (John Adams's midnight appointments of judges at the 11th hour, or Obama's use, in response to Mitch and Co., of Executive Orders). I don't see much that could be different on the horizon for Joe, especially with the Chuckleheads currently running the House.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LBJ announced on March 31, 1968 that he wasn’t going to run. So he was a lamer duck than Joe. Even as a snot nosed kid at the time, I understood that was a big deal.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:09 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:37 am

Interesting thought C&S. It depends on how you see/define a lame duck. Second term Presidents are kind of lame ducks from their second inaugural on, right? Or at least once the second term President gets through the mid-term elections and the primaries to replace him start? So Joe has about five and a half months of his Presidency, which ends January 20, 2025. The principal knock on Lame Ducks is an inability to get anything done (Obama's last two years with Congress negating anything he tried to do), or doing stuff people didn't like (John Adams's midnight appointments of judges at the 11th hour, or Obama's use, in response to Mitch and Co., of Executive Orders). I don't see much that could be different on the horizon for Joe, especially with the Chuckleheads currently running the House.
I think I tend to be more concerned about what the bad actors of the world might consider a 5 to 6 month window of what they might consider the USA to be particularly vulnerable. I only say that because I don't see the leadership of this country particularly on the same page about anything. The perception of weakness whether right or wrong can be a dangerous thing.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:25 am LBJ announced on March 31, 1968 that he wasn’t going to run. So he was a lamer duck than Joe. Even as a snot nosed kid at the time, I understood that was a big deal.
Your correct but the threat environment today in the world isn't even remotely close to what it was in 1968. Vietnam was the only issue that was on peoples minds. The world has gotten way more complicated in the 50 plus years since then. There are a lot more bad actors out there in the world today that would take great satisfaction at handing a few lumps to the USA. I only hope that nagging little voice in the back of my head is wrong.
Bob Ross:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:38 am
njbill wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:25 am LBJ announced on March 31, 1968 that he wasn’t going to run. So he was a lamer duck than Joe. Even as a snot nosed kid at the time, I understood that was a big deal.
Your correct but the threat environment today in the world isn't even remotely close to what it was in 1968. Vietnam was the only issue that was on peoples minds. The world has gotten way more complicated in the 50 plus years since then. There are a lot more bad actors out there in the world today that would take great satisfaction at handing a few lumps to the USA. I only hope that nagging little voice in the back of my head is wrong.
Very narrow view of the world. Vietnam was the “only issue”? Horse pucky. MLK assassinated in 1968. Bobby Kennedy assassinated in 1968. Cities were burning. National Guards were called out. Civil Rights legislation was being put in place. The Dixiecrats moved to the Republican Party. Seismic! Just go name a view
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:39 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:38 am
Very narrow view of the world. Vietnam was the “only issue”? Horse pucky. MLK assassinated in 1968. Bobby Kennedy assassinated in 1958. Cities were burning. National Guards were called out. Civil Rights legislation was being put in place. The Dixiecrats mov ised to the Republican Party. Seismic! Nist go name a view
Those were all internal issues that caused much heartache but were always secondary to the conflict in Vietnam. I betcha didn't listen to Walter Cronkite on the news telling you " and that's the way it is " . I watched it with my dad almost every night
Every night there was always an update on how many soldiers we lost that day, that week that month. The ongoing disaster of what was happening in Vietnam and his realization that he was solely responsible for it left him a broken man. He realized it was time to let someone else try and fix the problem. I lived through those years and remember it all to well. I have no idea if you did as well. I remember my sister who hated the war starting heated arguments with my dad about the war. My dad hated all war he lived war having survived extensive front line WW2 combat. The events you cited were all inclusive of the chaos and heartache of those horrible years. Vietnam festered in the American conscience for years and damn near tore this country apart. I remember what it was like because my family the experience everyday. If you remember it differently then that was your experience.
Bob Ross:
ggait

Post by ggait »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:20 pm BLM Chiming in & pissed off. https://x.com/Blklivesmatter/status/1815629502128533647
Staying engaged: https://x.com/Blklivesmatter/status/1816306232786853956

Kamala was selected, not elected.

But the solution is simple.

Join us in calling on
@TheDemocrats
to let the American people vote in an informal, virtual primary (an online vote) ASAP so our communities can weigh in on this unprecedented moment. Democracy demands no less.

Sign our petition to the DNC: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/call-on ... n-process/
Boycott stupid.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”