Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Israel and the West Bank Settlements Issue

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:38 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:32 am
njbill wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:59 pm And of course, his own vice presidential nominee calls him America’s Hitler.
You do realize that was not a public statement. Vance said that in a private text to his law school roommate during the 2016 campaign.
The roommate leaked it & went on to be a (D) GA state senator. Vance admitted he was wrong. Something you're unable to do regarding Biden's "condition".
Something you may do?
Here's what Vance actually PM'd his "friend" :

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/jd-van ... 024-07-15/
"I go back and forth between thinking Trump is a cynical jerk like Nixon who wouldn't be that bad (and might even prove useful) or that he's America's Hitler," he wrote privately to an associate on Facebook in 2016.
When his Hitler comment was first reported, in 2022, a spokesperson did not dispute it, but said it no longer represented Vance's views.

Not exactly a definitive public position.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:59 pm And of course, his own vice presidential nominee calls him America’s Hitler.
You do realize that was not a public statement. Vance said that in a private text to his law school roommate during the 2016 campaign.
The roommate leaked it & went on to be a (D) GA state senator. Vance admitted he was wrong. Something you're unable to do regarding Biden's "condition".
So, he did it privately, quietly...in writing...

He meant it.
He also appeared to mean his public comments about Trump being a sexual predator.

Of course, public comments might just be to garner approval from certain folks and not actually sincere...we know he's not a man of actual principle, a serial flip flopper, so, who knows, maybe privately he admired Trump for getting away with grabbing women by the p-ssy...

Does he actually like Diet Dr. Pepper? Who knows...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:44 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:38 am
Something you may do?
Here's what Vance actually PM'd his "friend" :

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/jd-van ... 024-07-15/
"I go back and forth between thinking Trump is a cynical jerk like Nixon who wouldn't be that bad (and might even prove useful) or that he's America's Hitler," he wrote privately to an associate on Facebook in 2016.
When his Hitler comment was first reported, in 2022, a spokesperson did not dispute it, but said it no longer represented Vance's views.

Not exactly a definitive public position.
What’s your “private” position?
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

No, I didn’t realize it was not a public statement, but why does that matter? Was he lying to his friend? In fact, that he said it privately strongly suggests, if not proves, that’s what he actually believed.

He thought Trump was America’s Hitler in 2016. What has Trump done since then to disabuse him of that notion? I’ll answer that. Nothing. In fact, he has done and said things time and time again to prove Vance was correct in 2016.

Vance hasn’t changed what he is saying about Trump because he now thinks he was “wrong” back then. Vance, like so many other Republicans (McCarthy, McConnell, Rubio, the list goes on and on) have publicly changed their stance on Trump to curry favor with Der Fuhrer. Vance is an ambitious politician (now). Of course he has to praise him as though he were Kim Jong-un.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You mean it was candid and not written for the public to read?
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:52 am
No, I didn’t realize it was not a public statement, but why does that matter? Was he lying to his friend? In fact, that he said it privately strongly suggests, if not proves, that’s what he actually believed.

He thought Trump was America’s Hitler in 2016. What has Trump done since then to disabuse him of that notion? I’ll answer that. Nothing. In fact, he has done and said things time and time again to prove Vance was correct in 2016.

Vance hasn’t changed what he is saying about Trump because he now thinks he was “wrong” back then. Vance, like so many other Republicans (McCarthy, McConnell, Rubio, the list goes on and on) have publicly changed their stance on Trump to curry favor with Der Fuhrer. Vance is an ambitious politician (now). Of course he has to praise him as though he were Kim Jong-un.
It was not a definitive statement. He said he was conflicted. It was banter between friends, said in confidence...until the 'friend" opportunistically leaked it. Maybe, like the others you name, he watched Trump govern, got to know him & changed his opinion.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:28 am

It was not a definitive statement. He said he was conflicted. It was banter between friends, said in confidence...until the 'friend" opportunistically leaked it. Maybe, like the others you name, he watched Trump govern, got to know him & changed his opinion.
uh huh, he was just pretending to think he was a sexual predator too...but changed his mind after he got to know his "policies"...

"conflicted" between "cynical jerk" and "American Hitler"...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Wouldn’t conflicted imply a certain ability to be introspective? A skill Trump has never exhibited.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I didn’t read the full text of what I guess was a Facebook post before my earlier post.

Actually, it suggests to me that Vance was pretty perceptive back then. I certainly hated Trump in 2016, but I wasn’t thinking at that time that he was America’s Hitler.

The fact that it was a private comment strongly suggests to me that that is what he really thought. If I am talking privately to the coach I scout for, I will give her my candid assessment of a player, positive and negative. If I am talking to that player’s parents, or to a group of parents, I will not mention any negative comments I have about the player.

That Vance may have been comparing Trump, alternatively, to Nixon or Hitler is not exactly a compliment. To my thinking, that waters down only very slightly the comparison to Hitler. I don’t think you would like to be compared, in the alternative, to Hitler. I certainly wouldn’t.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peaceful protests ramping up: https://x.com/amuse/status/1816206140532805741

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C90cSRqS ... _copy_link

Will Kamala or Joe come out and tell everyone to stand down? Oh wait, Kamala was not interested....my bad. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Are police afraid to intervene? Why is this allowed? https://x.com/stillgray/status/1816214041209057471
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:55 pm Are police afraid to intervene? Why is this allowed? https://x.com/stillgray/status/1816214041209057471
Agreed. Good question.
Where were the DC police?
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:55 pm Are police afraid to intervene? Why is this allowed? https://x.com/stillgray/status/1816214041209057471
Agreed. Good question.
... Are they really??
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:54 am

I didn’t read the full text of what I guess was a Facebook post before my earlier post.

Actually, it suggests to me that Vance was pretty perceptive back then. I certainly hated Trump in 2016, but I wasn’t thinking at that time that he was America’s Hitler.

The fact that it was a private comment strongly suggests to me that that is what he really thought. If I am talking privately to the coach I scout for, I will give her my candid assessment of a player, positive and negative. If I am talking to that player’s parents, or to a group of parents, I will not mention any negative comments I have about the player.

That Vance may have been comparing Trump, alternatively, to Nixon or Hitler is not exactly a compliment. To my thinking, that waters down only very slightly the comparison to Hitler. I don’t think you would like to be compared, in the alternative, to Hitler. I certainly wouldn’t.
Keep in mind bill, that was hyperbolic private banter between 2 friends at a time when Trump was still a largely unknown quantity.
After Trump won & began governing, Vance obviously changed his opinion & he has told us why.
A rational change of opinion, over time, based on subsequent real evidence, is not a flip flop.
Consider how we StL Cardinal fans developed an appreciation for Richie=>Dick Allen, once he became a Redbird.
We saw how well he played & fit in when he was healthy.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Agreed. Good question.
You only agree because it's a monument to Columbus & not a Confederate General. :lol:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:50 am
Agreed. Good question.
You only agree because it's a monument to Columbus & not a Confederate General. :lol:
As usual, you're full of sh*t........ :oops: :P
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

This may be the most ridiculous defense of Vance's "conversion" I have yet to read:

"Keep in mind bill, that was hyperbolic private banter between 2 friends at a time when Trump was still a largely unknown quantity.
After Trump won & began governing, Vance obviously changed his opinion & he has told us why.
A rational change of opinion, over time, based on subsequent real evidence, is not a flip flop.
Consider how we StL Cardinal fans developed an appreciation for Richie=>Dick Allen, once he became a Redbird.
We saw how well he played & fit in when he was healthy."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

It just warms your heart to see the protesters trained and inspired by Iran doing their dirty work for them. When Bibi refers to them as Irans " useful idiots " he could not be more correct. Is vandalizing public property and burning American flags all inclusive to how a " peaceful protest " is defined in the year 2024? :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:26 am It just warms your heart to see the protesters trained and inspired by Iran doing their dirty work for them. When Bibi refers to them as Irans " useful idiots " he could not be more correct. Is vandalizing public property and burning American flags all inclusive to how a " peaceful protest " is defined in the year 2024? :roll:
You could not be more wrong. I gotta give Bengie credit he further damaged our relationship with his distortions and lies. Again a failure to understand history and context. As always

Return to “POLITICS”