American Educational System

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: American Educational System

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:51 pm Not so sure that it's true that most "failing schools" are in urban areas versus rural.

https://www.phoenix.edu/blog/teaching-i ... s%20degree.

https://online.uwa.edu/infographics/rur ... n-america/

https://insight.kellogg.northwestern.ed ... e-learning

The strongest correlation with school performance is poverty. And that exists a lot in rural areas.

Indeed, overall, urban schools outperform rural.

But it's not the myth that's been sold to suburbanites by Fox etc.
Show me a charter school and I will show you a low to moderate income community. When I start seeing Charter Schools in Weston, MA, Hingham, MA, Scarsdale, NY, Rye NY, Darien, CT I will believe public school education is a problem.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:51 pm Not so sure that it's true that most "failing schools" are in urban areas versus rural.

The strongest correlation with school performance is poverty. And that exists a lot in rural areas.

Wonder if there’s a meaningful relationship with assessment rate as a perfentage of assessed value (property). I suspect jurisdictions above 2.5-3% have mixed results whereas ones below 2% generally do worse
yes, in some regions, education is not highly valued by voters...and in other areas, it is.
But it begins with the actual value of the properties, the prosperity of the region.
Poverty is a crusher and even worse is poverty in regions where public education isn't valued highly.

My wife is from Woods Hole, where I am right now for my niece's wedding. Excellent public school system in Falmouth, with high value real estate with many owners being summer residents, so relatively few students compared to dollar value of real estate. Plus a whole lot of the voters here being associated with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, National Marine Fisheries, and related academic and research groups. Whole bunch of scientists who value education. My wife's dad was a commercial fisherman, mom a school nurse, so a classic townie...and valedictorian...
molo

Post by molo »

I have read that almost 90% of US students attend public schools, which is hard to believe living in Maryland. Anyway, if we are to compete with the rest of the civilized world, we need to make our public schools better and worry less about sending a few studeoto private schools.
Having spent more than 40 years in public education, I’m aware that the task is daunting and frustrating, but it is imperative that we do not abandon our responsibility. Changes that would affect who becomes a teacher would be a first step. I’m not optimistic,
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... white racist reaction to integration is what has done the most damage to public education. It is not integration itself but the white reaction!!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

molo wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:50 pm I have read that almost 90% of US students attend public schools, which is hard to believe living in Maryland. Anyway, if we are to compete with the rest of the civilized world, we need to make our public schools better and worry less about sending a few studeoto private schools.
Having spent more than 40 years in public education, I’m aware that the task is daunting and frustrating, but it is imperative that we do not abandon our responsibility. Changes that would affect who becomes a teacher would be a first step. I’m not optimistic,
Also a career educator & high school coach, I see how a few unruly students determine the level of learning in the classroom everyday. Believe me, I am not the only teacher who feels this way. My daughter who serves as a counselor at a summer camp just came home and told me how one student occupies so much of her time due to inappropriate behaviors. I thought to myself, you are preaching to the choir sister! In the public schools you call home, most of the time nothing changes. The administration gets involves, most of the time nothing changes. Many times there is only so much anyone can do. I feel for the students who are being affected in a negative way.
a fan

Post by a fan »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:05 pm
molo wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:50 pm I have read that almost 90% of US students attend public schools, which is hard to believe living in Maryland. Anyway, if we are to compete with the rest of the civilized world, we need to make our public schools better and worry less about sending a few studeoto private schools.
Also a career educator & high school coach, I see how a few unruly students determine the level of learning in the classroom everyday. Believe me, I am not the only teacher who feels this way. My daughter who serves as a counselor at a summer camp just came home and told me how one student occupies so much of her time due to inappropriate behaviors. I thought to myself, you are preaching to the choir sister! In the public schools you call home, most of the time nothing changes. The administration gets involves, most of the time nothing changes. Many times there is only so much anyone can do. I feel for the students who are being affected in a negative way.
Best thing they could do....yet it costs money.......give the power of expulsion back to teachers. You don't want to learn? At SOME POINT, you need to be removed.

Worse still, are the kids who threaten teachers, but are allowed to stay. What other workplace allows such behavior?
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:23 pm
Best thing they could do....yet it costs money.......give the power of expulsion back to teachers. You don't want to learn? At SOME POINT, you need to be removed.

Worse still, are the kids who threaten teachers, but are allowed to stay. What other workplace allows such behavior?
What puzzles me is that we get plenty of valued professional development but rarely is is based on classroom management skills. In my mind, the ability to diffuse a situation before it can elevate is a skill many teachers do not possess. I am a PE teacher so my classroom has much less structure than the content area classrooms. Having said that, the students know what the standards and expectations are when they come through those doors. They also know that I am not out to get them, but rather I have their best interest at heart. We need to do better at preparing teachers in that regard.
Typical Lax Dad

KI Dock Bar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:45 pm

What puzzles me is that we get plenty of valued professional development but rarely is is based on classroom management skills. In my mind, the ability to diffuse a situation before it can elevate is a skill many teachers do not possess. I am a PE teacher so my classroom has much less structure than the content area classrooms. Having said that, the students know what the standards and expectations are when they come through those doors. They also know that I am not out to get them, but rather I have their best interest at heart. We need to do better at preparing teachers in that regard.
Yep
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Show me a charter school and I will show you a low to moderate income community. When I start seeing Charter Schools in Weston, MA, Hingham, MA, Scarsdale, NY, Rye NY, Darien, CT I will believe public school education is a problem.
Who needs Rye and Hingham when you’ve got port Chester and Rodkland nearby.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:22 pm

Wonder if there’s a meaningful relationship with assessment rate as a perfentage of assessed value (property). I suspect jurisdictions above 2.5-3% have mixed results whereas ones below 2% generally do worse
yes, in some regions, education is not highly valued by voters...and in other areas, it is.
But it begins with the actual value of the properties, the prosperity of the region.
Poverty is a crusher and even worse is poverty in regions where public education isn't valued highly.

My wife is from Woods Hole, where I am right now for my niece's wedding. Excellent public school system in Falmouth, with high value real estate with many owners being summer residents, so relatively few students compared to dollar value of real estate. Plus a whole lot of the voters here being associated with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, National Marine Fisheries, and related academic and research groups. Whole bunch of scientists who value education. My wife's dad was a commercial fisherman, mom a school nurse, so a classic townie...and valedictorian...
Well millage rate to assessed value is a function of expenditures of the subdivision too. A lot of highly credit rated southern states hadn’t historically had or chosen o spend much on infrastructure but with migration and growth that’s going to change next two decades hard for some states. I’ve found a danger zone is somewhere above 3-3.5% of a jurisdiction.

But I think you’re missing how the spirals occur that took places like my hometown of Binghamton from 100k pop to 45k in 25yrs. Higher fixed obligations (pension and healthcare for reitrees for an infrastructure that ain’t supportable anymore as the population declines. Binghamton HS Snet all but row too 20 kids to
IVY, Haverford or Duke out of 350-400 graduating class (myself at Bartand a close friend at Uof R only exceptions and I was accepted late to Briwn and he was ivylevel too). My sent in yr a kid I few uo with shot and killed a cop by accident h it then wa hunted down per the mayor like the animal he is and he killed hismrlf. Kids would have their mouth smashed in with a hammer owing mid level dealers $400 (door rang he opened it happened when we were Sophs).

So you can have a good school and f’ed up place for a period of time. No idea how BHS shakes out today that was 1996. But the home values can be depressed not because of original lack of investment in schooling but this negative feedback loop/vortex that can and does happen to cities and counties when population moves too fast in either direction.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Being from upstate NY I have to ask:

You a suny Cortland grad? 23 used to call then kickball renting academy when I played them in football ages ago
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:34 pm

Being from upstate NY I have to ask:

You a cuny Cortland grad? 23 used to call then kickball renting academy when I played them in football ages ago
No, I played lax at Maryland from '79-'83 and somehow walked away with a degree in education. We don't play muck kickball and rarely dodgeball in PE class anymore, but thanks for the chuckle. Born and raised in Old line State of Maryland, although my father was from the Syracuse area and he did graduate from SU in 1950!
Typical Lax Dad

I remember being in the 6th grade….For gym everyone had to line up on a number that ran along the end of the basketball court. A couple of kids weren’t on their number and were goofing off when Mr. Adams began class…..so he blew his whistle and told everyone to line up outside his office. He gave everyone 3 whacks with his paddle. I thought he was going to let me off because I was a hooper. He got me last. Everyone got it.
“I wish you would!”
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:47 pm

I remember being in the 6th grade….For gym everyone had to line up on a number that ran along the end of the basketball court. A couple of kids weren’t on their number and were goofing off when Mr. Adams began class…..so he blew his whistle and told everyone to line up outside his office. He gave everyone 3 whacks with his paddle. I thought he was going to let me off because I was a hooper. He got me last. Everyone got it.
You must be old...the closest I come to that is to take a young boy who is "testing the limits" into my office for a private chat!
Typical Lax Dad

KI Dock Bar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:59 pm

You must be old...the closest I come to that is to take a young boy who is "testing the limits" into my office for a private chat!
You are older. I saw your UM post. Where I went to school, if you weren’t there to learn you were shipped off to “alternate school”….it was actually a terrible school district. In fact one of the worst in the country.
“I wish you would!”
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:02 pm

You are older. I saw your UM post. Where I went to school, if you weren’t there to learn you were shipped off to “alternate school”….it was actually a terrible school district. In fact one of the worst in the country.
Our school district has an alternative school which gets challenging student out of the regular classroom. I helps the student as they receive individualized instruction in a more isolated classroom setting. It improves the learning environment which benefits the other students and the teacher! Middle school students were included in this initiative this past year, but not next year because of budget cuts.
Typical Lax Dad

KI Dock Bar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:02 pm

Our school district has an alternative school which gets challenging student out of the regular classroom. I helps the student as they receive individualized instruction in a more isolated classroom setting. It improves the learning environment which benefits the other students and the teacher! Middle school students were included in this initiative this past year, but not next year because of budget cuts.
Get them out so everyone else can learn. I have spent time in a classroom in a school in a depressed district. The teachers deserve a medal. I get to contrast it with a Charter School that sends bad apples back to the district.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You were right under that rope during the demonstration weren’t you?

https://youtu.be/bBAOp3LMb-c?si=NOKQcB0Oi2BdblBI
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:13 pm

You were right under that rope during the demonstration weren’t you?

https://youtu.be/bBAOp3LMb-c?si=NOKQcB0Oi2BdblBI
Actually that would be my 7th grade coach!!! we knew he was “off”… We laughed at a teammate that got a cramp in his hamstring and old coach leaned over him to “rub it out”…. I had forgotten about him until I was home from college as a junior….I saw he was arrested on the news for child molestation. 😂😂😂
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”