Virginia 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Virginia 2025

Post by wgdsr »

Hooz123 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:26 am Kip Turner was promoted to Associate Head Coach. Good for him and good move by Lars. Not sold on Kevin Cassese.
sounds like going from jr vice president to associate vice president. do all 3 of them get to call timeouts now and talk to the refs?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:06 am [quote=Hooz123 post_id=571483 time=<a href="tel:1721737565">1721737565</a> user_id=4933]
Kip Turner was promoted to Associate Head Coach. Good for him and good move by Lars. Not sold on Kevin Cassese.
sounds like going from jr vice president to associate vice president. do all 3 of them get to call timeouts now and talk to the refs?
[/quote]

Well-deserved recognition for Kip Turner. I would assume it comes with a pay raise and it would also put him in better position if he someday would like to be considered for head coaching positions.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Kyle Colsey Senior highlights: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7tf6qzH2A8[/youtube]

LET'S GOOO
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Looks like Boyden is not coming back. He signed a pro contract with the Rochester Knighthawks per their social media.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

SouthieLax wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:44 pm Looks like Boyden is not coming back. He signed a pro contract with the Rochester Knighthawks per their social media.
Best of luck to Jack Boyden in the NLL and post-college in general -- it was fun to watch him play at the DI level. And a tip of the hat to the UVA coaching staff for their continued success in bringing some great DIII players to Charlottesville.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tiffany flips offensive weapons in 4⭐️M/A Owen Crann of @MXSchoolBVL (Mass.) and @LXCMinutemen, a former Penn commit.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:57 pm Tiffany flips offensive weapons in 4⭐️M/A Owen Crann of @MXSchoolBVL (Mass.) and @LXCMinutemen, a former Penn commit.
Hard to know which recruits will crack a line up as talented as UVA's, but I think you guys will like this kid. #1 attackman for his school as a soph and junior, but plays both ends of the field quite well as a middie for Laxacusetts.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:42 am
AreaLax wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:57 pm Tiffany flips offensive weapons in 4⭐️M/A Owen Crann of @MXSchoolBVL (Mass.) and @LXCMinutemen, a former Penn commit.
Hard to know which recruits will crack a line up as talented as UVA's, but I think you guys will like this kid. #1 attackman for his school as a soph and junior, but plays both ends of the field quite well as a middie for Laxacusetts.
Virginia does have lot's of talent but also lost some of their best players ever so going to be more of an unknown this season to start anyway. Lars has work to do rebuilding the attack and goal positions. They also return experienced players at short stick, close D and LSM, but the overall team D was underwhelming. That also requires re evaluation and adjustment. Was it too complex a scheme, Did players struggle to execute it properly or something else? The good news is there is great talent on hand If the staff can develop and slot it correctly. Fall in Charlottesville will be even busier than usual.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:03 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:42 am
Virginia does have lot's of talent but also lost some of their best players ever so going to be more of an unknown this season to start anyway. Lars has work to do rebuilding the attack and goal positions. They also return experienced players at short stick, close D and LSM, but the overall team D was underwhelming. That also requires re evaluation and adjustment. Was it too complex a scheme, Did players struggle to execute it properly or something else? The good news is there is great talent on hand If the staff can develop and slot it correctly. Fall in Charlottesville will be even busier than usual.

I remember Brown alums at games joking about Lars' "300 slide packages..."
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Lars gets another flip LSM Ben Boyer (MadLax) from Ohio State.

The 4 ⭐️ ‘25 earned All-America honors after leading @hplax to a Texas Class AA state title. 6-3, 180-pounder is a plus athlete that excels off the ground.

https://x.com/natlaxfed/status/18259584 ... EO2hFStaxg
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Texas AA enrollment is 105 to 253 students. Assume he did quite well on his club.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:00 am Texas AA enrollment is 105 to 253 students. Assume he did quite well on his club.
think you're talking about football. and that's 1a up to 6a, not repeating the aa's. lacrosse is aa, a, b, c and d. they had a b team make the finals. hp was the #1 seed and lost to the eventual champ episcopal school dallas in '24. the state champ was in '23. mike pressler is the hp coach and i hear he's getting paid pretty well. enrollment is almost 2,300.

no one's going to mistake texas for the pg leagues, but the competition has gotten better and some very good athletes have come out of there. the hoos have gotten bower out of esd, nunes from the woodlands, and saustad, ghobriel and mencke out of highland park. a '24 browne is coming in as a 5 star from esd. i assume he did pretty well with both.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:55 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:00 am Texas AA enrollment is 105 to 253 students. Assume he did quite well on his club.
think you're talking about football. and that's 1a up to 6a, not repeating the aa's. lacrosse is aa, a, b, c and d. they had a b team make the finals. hp was the #1 seed and lost to the eventual champ episcopal school dallas in '24. the state champ was in '23. mike pressler is the hp coach and i hear he's getting paid pretty well. enrollment is almost 2,300.

no one's going to mistake texas for the pg leagues, but the competition has gotten better and some very good athletes have come out of there. the hoos have gotten bower out of esd, nunes from the woodlands, and saustad, ghobriel and mencke out of highland park. a '24 browne is coming in as a 5 star from esd. i assume he did pretty well with both.
Dallas is hub of Texas lacrosse (HP, ESD, and Jesuit are the big players there). Competition is very top heavy in Texas. HP represented themselves well vs Culver. The lazy eval on Texas players is they are high level athletes, but lack overall lax IQ. And Pressler makes more than a lot of D1 coaches. He has done a very good job of scheduling. Whether that is attracting schools to come down to Texas early in the season or traveling out of state.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:55 am

Was not aware of difference. Thanks.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

I read where Torpey is getting 325k from Brown, What kind of salary is Lars getting at UVA if his old place of employment is paying 325k.
I guess coaches salaries in lacrosse are a lot greater then I ever imagined.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

It was reported he made around 200k for a base salary....I have to imagine this isn't correct because he took a paycut in 2020 (covid) that had him around 175k. With incentives/bonus and all the other ways he can make income (camps, clinics etc.) I have to imagine he's north of Torpey...but maybe not
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NNELax wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:39 am It was reported he made around 200k for a base salary....I have to imagine this isn't correct because he took a paycut in 2020 (covid) that had him around 175k. With incentives/bonus and all the other ways he can make income (camps, clinics etc.) I have to imagine he's north of Torpey...but maybe not
Very, very likely north on total comp...and it should be understood that whenever the musical chairs get going, salaries and total comp are often adjusted to stay in relative position to new comp elsewhere.

To laxfanatic, yes, the top $ #'s are quite attractive. If successful, can be a quite good living.
But that's the top end, not throughout...and assistants, especially younger, can be pretty unattractive at a whole lot of programs.
"Friends" pools can be quite important, especially for the assistants.

That's a big $ # for Torpey if accurate.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:27 am
NNELax wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:39 am It was reported he made around 200k for a base salary....I have to imagine this isn't correct because he took a paycut in 2020 (covid) that had him around 175k. With incentives/bonus and all the other ways he can make income (camps, clinics etc.) I have to imagine he's north of Torpey...but maybe not
Very, very likely north on total comp...and it should be understood that whenever the musical chairs get going, salaries and total comp are often adjusted to stay in relative position to new comp elsewhere.

To laxfanatic, yes, the top $ #'s are quite attractive. If successful, can be a quite good living.
But that's the top end, not throughout...and assistants, especially younger, can be pretty unattractive at a whole lot of programs.
"Friends" pools can be quite important, especially for the assistants.

That's a big $ # for Torpey if accurate.
Agreed, Brown hasn't had the rep for big coaching salaries. It is endowed though. As Lars is a state employee, his base salary should be public info somewhere. Although each state is different. YMMV.
One source showed 2024 as $197k and change for Lars. Seems about right.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

This, which looks pretty official, shows Lars at 368K and rising fast. And, as this is his state employee salary, I don’t think it would involve camps, endorsements and the like. It is possible though it is based on his filing as total income but I doubt that.

https://www.openthebooks.com/virginia-s ... 0&Year_S=0

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”