NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
NotLikeUs

Re: NESCAC

Post by NotLikeUs »

SKUD wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:07 pm
twohandsonestick wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:00 pm The fact of the matter is, the NESCAC overall as a conference has been on a clear and steady decline as of late...
I think you are mixing them up with the NCAC
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mustard
On
The Beat H#e...
I turn a 8th 2 an ounce, 2 a whole key 2 the R-O-C…
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

justanotherperson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 am What about nationally? 30-35th
With the current roster? No way. My guess is teams 1-20 would put the hurt on Tufts nearly every time. Teams 20-40 would still rough up the Jumbos but they'd occasionally snag a win. Teams 40-60 would be the real competitive sweet spot. Tufts would be favored against the teams after 60 but couldn't take them lightly.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:05 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:29 am
justanotherperson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 am What about nationally? 30-35th

Hamilton beats the 30-35th ranked DI team in OT?

Dream big bro.
With the current roster? No way. My guess is teams 1-20 would put the hurt on Tufts nearly every time. Teams 20-40 would still rough up the Jumbos but they'd occasionally snag a win. Teams 40-60 would be the real competitive sweet spot. Tufts would be favored against the teams after 60 but couldn't take them lightly.
Just need way more size and depth. With a few (4-6) years of DI recruiting cycles they could do it.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

This subject comes up about once per year. Does the NCAA allow for NEW 1 sport D1 members or are the only programs that split D1/3 grandfathered?

The field is more HS than D1. Simple one side only bleachers, with the light towers obstructing the views. This would need a serious upgrade and it is land locked by a new baseball stadium.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

This is pretty spot on. Certainly would include Salisbury and RIT with the same odds. Tufts would have almost no chance of being competitive with a top 20 team but that is of course true for 20-30 D1 teams as well. While their top 3-4 players could indeed play and contribute at top 10 teams, they don't have nearly the depth to actually compete vs those teams. The same, again, is clearly true for more than half of the D1 teams. If Tufts did go D1, I agree that it would take 2 or 3 year to build the roster but only that, they would be a huge draw and would be a top 25ish team fairly rapidly. It's not even completely crazy to discuss given how much different Tufts is from all the other NESCACs in terms of size and graduate programs but it most certainly is never going to happen.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

SKUD wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:01 am This subject comes up about once per year. Does the NCAA allow for NEW 1 sport D1 members or are the only programs that split D1/3 grandfathered?

The field is more HS than D1. Simple one side only bleachers, with the light towers obstructing the views. This would need a serious upgrade and it is land locked by a new baseball stadium.
No new 1 sport D1 schools. Only those that were sponsoring the sport for D1 prior to 2011 or if there is no championship offered for the lower level sport. There are dozens and dozens of D3 and D2 schools that have 1 D1 sport but only 5 that are grandfathered into being allowed to offer scholarships for that sport, Clarkson (M and W hockey), Colorado College ( M hockey, W soccer), Hopkins (M and W lax), RPI (M and W hockey) and St. Lawrence (M and W hockey). Tufts lax is not going D1, stadium or no stadium.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Tufts will NEVER go D1....They enjoy being a premier player in the NESCAC and reap the benefits of being close to Boston...The NESCAC loves the tradition of the league....do they also love smelling their own farts...sure do...but they will never go D1 unless forced by D3 collapsing etc....
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

SKUD wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:01 am This subject comes up about once per year. Does the NCAA allow for NEW 1 sport D1 members or are the only programs that split D1/3 grandfathered?

I don't disagree with your premise, but the football field is available w/plenty of seating, etc. We used to play there all but 1-2 games.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:45 pm

I don't disagree with your premise, but the football field is available w/plenty of seating, etc. We used to play there all but 1-2 games.
I agree with both premises, field is nothing to write home about (cold af as well!! 🤣🤣) and, would be nice to play a game or three annually in the football “stadium”. That said, I think there is room where the current stands sit to build a facility/seating area not unlike what Stephenson has down in Baltimore or, if I remember correctly, what ND has at Arlotta. All it takes is a whole lotta $$.
Last edited by callaxdad on Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:14 am

No new 1 sport D1 schools. Only those that were sponsoring the sport for D1 prior to 2011 or if there is no championship offered for the lower level sport. There are dozens and dozens of D3 and D2 schools that have 1 D1 sport but only 5 that are grandfathered into being allowed to offer scholarships for that sport, Clarkson (M and W hockey), Colorado College ( M hockey, W soccer), Hopkins (M and W lax), RPI (M and W hockey) and St. Lawrence (M and W hockey). Tufts lax is not going D1, stadium or no stadium.
Good info, thanks for the clarification… That renders the Tufts to D1 conversation moot. Whether they could compete at that level and where, 20–25, 25–30, 30+ is always fun banter! Their style of play is also open for discussion but, only a lax neophyte would say their style doesn’t translate at any level. Championship coaches like Casey and Lars know what they are doing!! That’s why great players consistently want to play for them!! Roll Bos!
NotLikeUs

Post by NotLikeUs »

When it comes to athletic facilities, are all NESCAC schools essentially the same? Are there some that stick out (for better or for worse) more than others?
Mustard
On
The Beat H#e...
I turn a 8th 2 an ounce, 2 a whole key 2 the R-O-C…
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

NotLikeUs wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:12 pm When it comes to athletic facilities, are all NESCAC schools essentially the same? Are there some that stick out (for better or for worse) more than others?
Based on my experiences over the last 4 years (w/some color from the mid-late 80s) w/regard to the sports I watch/care about, I'll say Colby at 1, Bowdoin at 2 (because of the awesome rink and that the lax field is in a graveyard basically), Amherst, Williams, Trinity all pretty good (all have good rinks), haven't been to Midd in a cpl decades and Hammy was in New York state when I played so could not be in Nescac, Wesleyan meh (altho bird cage is cool), CC also meh (both CC and Wes have the same old rinks I played in), I love Bates middle of campus lax field, but doesn't have hockey. Tufts has a crappy rink, but Bello is cool and the Tisch center is fine as are the new tennis courts and baseball and football stadiums.
Crazyeights

Post by Crazyeights »

Merit scholarship question- is there any chance Bates coach offered a merit scholarship to a player? I had thought absolutely no merit money there, but the parent of a 24 recruit told a friend that her son was getting a huge merit scholarship. (They would absolutely never get financial aid, so there was no confusion in that regard).
choochooCharlie

Crazyeights wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:35 am Merit scholarship question- is there any chance Bates coach offered a merit scholarship to a player? I had thought absolutely no merit money there, but the parent of a 24 recruit told a friend that her son was getting a huge merit scholarship. (They would absolutely never get financial aid, so there was no confusion in that regard).
Fake news. There are no merit scholarships at Bates.
Last edited by choochooCharlie on Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Dream big bro.
I dont think 30-35th is dreaming big

But I am glad you spit out our drink because when a team like High Point beats a team like Duke, I am guessing your one game anecdote means either Hp is top 5 or Duke is bottom 20.

I love how you keep going back to the well with your one time examples. I guess USA bball is trash because South Sudan almost beat them and on and on and on...
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Yes, I should have qualifed, not currently but eventual Steady State down the road, I think they could settle into that 30-35 spot with a few recruiting classes under their belt

One advantage they have is the academic clout which would be attractive to some recruits. Once you get past 30th, not a lot of top academic giants with the exception of the bad IVY teams and Air Force
choochooCharlie

justanotherperson wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:06 am

Dream big bro.

But I am glad you spit out our drink because when a team like High Point beats a team like Duke, I am guessing your one game anecdote means either Hp is top 5 or Duke is bottom 20.

I love how you keep going back to the well with your one time examples. I guess USA bball is trash because South Sudan almost beat them and on and on and on...
You’re right, how dare I use an example of an actual result to reinforce my point. It’s far better to use a hypothetical that didn’t happen, like you did, in order to then project my reaction “if” that were to happen.

The reality is that the gap between top 5 DIII and top 35 DIII is WAAAAY bigger than the same grouping gap at the DI level.

But back to what I said- 30-35 DI are 30 Delaware
31 UAlbany 32 Navy 33 Bryant 34 Sacred Heart 35 Providence. Here’s a hypothetical for ya, have Hamilton play each one of them 5 times. How many games do they win? I’m sticking to 0.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

justanotherperson wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:12 am
Yes, I should have qualifed, not currently but eventual Steady State down the road, I think they could settle into that 30-35 spot with a few recruiting classes under their belt
Then yes, totally though I think the range would be larger. There are loads of D1 teams that in a good year are on the cusp of top 20, but then the next season they can end up with four wins and ranked close to 50. Schools like Colgate, BU, and Brown (who would be recruiting the same type of kids as Tufts) come to mind as where the Jumbos would end up once fully integrated into D1.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Interesting discussion as a total hypothetical. Agree that outside of a few perpetual powerhouses and the annual bottom feeders, there are a lot of teams that swing over a wide range year to year. There really isn’t much difference between, say, the 31st and 43rd team, it’s like the 8/9 game in hoops. Where Tufts would end up in the fantasy world would end up what conference they were in. If you magiced them into Ivy, you could see, with a few years recruiting and facility upgrades, them easily being as good as Brown. Patriot and they could be BU or Colgate fairly quickly. Just going D1 lax as an independent and it would be tougher.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:45 am
justanotherperson wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:06 am

Dream big bro.

You’re right, how dare I use an example of an actual result to reinforce my point. It’s far better to use a hypothetical that didn’t happen, like you did, in order to then project my reaction “if” that were to happen.

The reality is that the gap between top 5 DIII and top 35 DIII is WAAAAY bigger than the same grouping gap at the DI level.

But back to what I said- 30-35 DI are 30 Delaware
31 UAlbany 32 Navy 33 Bryant 34 Sacred Heart 35 Providence. Here’s a hypothetical for ya, have Hamilton play each one of them 5 times. How many games do they win? I’m sticking to 0.
As further clarified, this isn’t what he was asking, was referring to after a few years when settled in, not now. But now that you have used actual examples. #34 Sacred Heart lost to 2-11 and god awful Holy Cross. Could Hamilton beat Holy Cross? They sure could. Wouldn’t every time but they would often enough. Thus, if Holy Cross could beat a top 35 team, so could Hamilton. Would be a huge upset but so was that game. Totally agree there is a MUCH bigger gap between 1-5 and 30-35 in D3 than D1 but there is still a non-insignificant gap in D1. Again though, not pertinent to what was actually being discussed.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”