The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: 2024

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:51 am
ggait wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:30 pm Really like that new lowered temp on the rhetoric.
The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone. That sound familiar? The political animosity is baked into the cake. Your opining for civility on a forum where it was never designed to exist in the first place.
I think ggait was referring to rhetoric among the public statements of Republicans, like the gentleman in Ohio who is threatening civil war if Trump is not elected, and not among all of us on this board. The GOP governor candidate in North Carolina who thinks "some folks need killing." The head of the Heritage Foundation who says conservatives will remain peaceful if only Democrats yield the field. Etc. He is talking about the blithely violent rhetoric of today's Trump-Cult GOP.

And for the record, it's been years we have been at this, and I still don't hate you and your dog and your tomatoes and your nurse spouse and your marshal son and your left wing mom and sister.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:50 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:54 pm How long before YA or OS repeats a cute nickname given to Kamala Harris by Trump or someone on social media? Over or under 3.5 days?
Best chance the Dems have is Trump crosses too many lines with a black woman as his support is bolstered meaningfully by gains in minorities. If he loses them she’s got a small chance. Hope she puts the right team together .

Ironically I’m pissed at that sorry and don’t know if I’m that constructive on her if you gave me a full field and normal conditions and yet it’s likely to get me to move from not voting for pres to voting Dem for the second time in my life (for pres) in a tight state.

Doesn’t make it all sweet though .
Code already is “DEI candidate.”
You must have some Navajo in you. You are the self anointed forum " code talker " You instinctively are attuned to things that nobody else knows. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:58 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:54 pm How long before YA or OS repeats a cute nickname given to Kamala Harris by Trump or someone on social media? Over or under 3.5 days?
Best chance the Dems have is Trump crosses too many lines with a black woman as his support is bolstered meaningfully by gains in minorities. If he loses them she’s got a small chance. Hope she puts the right team together .

Ironically I’m pissed at that sorry and don’t know if I’m that constructive on her if you gave me a full field and normal conditions and yet it’s likely to get me to move from not voting for pres to voting Dem for the second time in my life (for pres) in a tight state.

You must have some Navajo in you. You are the self anointed forum " code talker " You instinctively are attuned to things that nobody else knows. :D
Ask your wife what they mean by that term if it confuses you.

“Nobody else knows”… :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:56 am
ggait wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:30 pm Really like that new lowered temp on the rhetoric.
The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone. That sound familiar? The political animosity is baked into the cake. Your opining for civility on a forum where it was never designed to exist in the first place.
I think ggait was referring to rhetoric among the public statements of Republicans, like the gentleman in Ohio who is threatening civil war if Trump is not elected, and not among all of us on this board. The GOP governor candidate in North Carolina who thinks "some folks need killing." The head of the Heritage Foundation who says conservatives will remain peaceful if only Democrats yield the field. Etc. He is talking about the blithely violent rhetoric of today's Trump-Cult GOP.

And for the record, it's been years we have been at this, and I still don't hate you and your dog and your tomatoes and your nurse spouse and your marshal son and your left wing mom and sister.
I will never hate you either counselor. We disagree on almost everything including the time of day. When I was growing up we lived in a big double house. My grandparents lived down stairs. My grandfather was my closest and best friend growing up. He loved me and always had the time for a pesky snot nosed little kid. He loved baseball and would play catch with me in our driveway until my arm fell off. He was a Yankees fan and would tell me about having been in the stadium to see Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig play in person. I remember this like it was yesterday. I was mad at my brother about something. I told my grandfather that I hated him.y gramps was the most gentle and kind person I ever knew. He looked at me and spoke the only harsh words I ever heard him say. He use to call me Dannyoola. He sternly told me it was wrong to hate any one ever. The devout Irish Catholic in him told me that God and Jesus didn't want us to hate. I'm imperfect and there have been plenty of times I have forgotten that admonition.. A few years later my grandfather died from Cancer I was 12 years and devastated and angry. It is hard losing your best friend in the world at that age. It has been a long time but that hurt is still there. There are times I get angry and I dislike people. If I ever let that manifest into hate I have done a huge disservice to a man I loved so and still miss to this day. Thank you for listening to me ramble.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

+1 C&S. Thanks.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:25 am +1 C&S. Thanks.
No thank you your post brought me back to one of the happiest times in my life. When I was very little I couldn't say grandpa. It came out as puppa. He got the biggest kick out of that and that is what I always called him. One more quick memory and I will move on. One time my mom and I went to visit his grave. Someone had put flowers on his headstone. My mom noticed the same flowers on a nearby headstone. The lady buried there was named Altobelli. It turned out to be Joe Altobellis mother. My mom couldn't figure it out at first. I made the connection fairly quickly. That connection was baseball. I think Mr Altobelli may have worked with my grandfather at Tobin Packing very briefly in the 1950s . He thought enough of my puppa to share his moms flowers with him. That is one of those acts of kindness you never forget.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:49 am
No thank you your post brought me back to one of the happiest times in my life. When I was very little I couldn't say grandpa. It came out as puppa. He got the biggest kick out of that and that is what I always called him. One more quick memory and I will move on. One time my mom and I went to visit his grave. Someone had put flowers on his headstone. My mom noticed the same flowers on a nearby headstone. The lady buried there was named Altobelli. It turned out to be Joe Altobellis mother. My mom couldn't figure it out at first. I made the connection fairly quickly. That connection was baseball. I think Mr Altobelli may have worked with my grandfather at Tobin Packing very briefly in the 1950s . He thought enough of my puppa to share his moms flowers with him. That is one of those acts of kindness you never forget.
Joe Altobelli, the Orioles manager?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:22 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:49 am
Joe Altobelli, the Orioles manager?
He is the one. He was also the manager of the Rochester Red Wings. He lived the rest of his life until he passed away in Rochester. He is a local baseball legend. There is a Lifesize bronze statue of him in the ballpark.
Bob Ross:
ggait

Post by ggait »

Cra -- you missed the reference.

After Trump got shot, pols on both sides were calling for everyone to "lower the temperature" of our political rhetoric.

I was responding to the news of the elected official introducing JDV yesterday saying that we would need a Civil War if Trump/Vance lost.

That's about as hot as it gets.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Forced bad choices from weak/poor execution and planning just drives me insane when a grade school kid like my son would figure it out.
Harris obviously is a battlefield promotion and the best available option given the circumstances. A total "let's hope it works." She's got a higher ceiling than Joe, but likely a lower floor.

Obviously Joe and his team screwed the pooch a year ago. He deserves a TON of blame for that. Joe's stupid selfish FUBAR is very likely to have already handed the WH to Trump. Joe's not a hero for stepping aside now. He's throwing a face saving Hail Mary pass because all better options are no longer available.

Smart hero Joe would have stepped in 2023 to allow for a reasonable primary process. Which is the best way to sort out the players (Obama, Clinton, Trump) from the pretenders (Howard Dean, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Meatball Ron).
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ggait wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:54 pm
Forced bad choices from weak/poor execution and planning just drives me insane when a grade school kid like my son would figure it out.
Harris obviously is a battlefield promotion and the best available option given the circumstances. A total "let's hope it works." She's got a higher ceiling than Joe, but likely a lower floor.

Obviously Joe and his team screwed the pooch a year ago. He deserves a TON of blame for that. Joe's stupid selfish FUBAR is very likely to have already handed the WH to Trump. Joe's not a hero for stepping aside now. He's throwing a face saving Hail Mary pass because all better options are no longer available.

Smart hero Joe would have stepped in 2023 to allow for a reasonable primary process. Which is the best way to sort out the players (Obama, Clinton, Trump) from the pretenders (Howard Dean, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Meatball Ron).
Yup, after the 2022 midterms, Biden should have announced a single term presidency, and placed the primary runners at the starting gates. Instead, we are 105 days away from an election in which the Orange Moron and the Heritage Foundation candidate for VP have the advantage.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:09 pm

Yup, after the 2022 midterms, Biden should have announced a single term presidency, and placed the primary runners at the starting gates. Instead, we are 105 days away from an election in which the Orange Moron and the Heritage Foundation candidate for VP have the advantage.
+1 This was my entire point the past couple days; see we can agree.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ggait wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:42 pm

After Trump got shot, pols on both sides were calling for everyone to "lower the temperature" of our political rhetoric.

I was responding to the news of the elected official introducing JDV yesterday saying that we would need a Civil War if Trump/Vance lost.

Those people are morons.

If there are people who REALLY think the US needs a civil war or says the political system is broken, they need to instead just suggest and sponsor legislation that promotes term limits for ALL elected officials.

But they won't do that, will they?

Why is that?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:00 am

I know what it means. A very good army friend of mine was a Navajo Indian. The code talkers are still idolized among the Navajo to this day. I don't speak in code. You should at least understand that by now. My wife is another story. I'm still trying to figure out her own special code. If she says that the garbage is really full that is code talk for you need to empty the garbage. There are different variations but they all mean the same thing.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:00 am

I know what it means. A very good army friend of mine was a Navajo Indian. The code talkers are still idolized among the Navajo to this day. I don't speak in code. You should at least understand that by now. My wife is another story. I'm still trying to figure out her own special code. If she says that the garbage is really full that is code talk for you need to empty the garbage. There are different variations but they all mean the same thing.
:D yes, we fail to decipher our wives' code at our own peril.

Accusing someone of being a DEI hire, as you admit you know, is code on the hard right for misogyny or racism or homophobia or some combination of such bigotries. It is intentionally demeaning, suggesting that the person isn't qualified for the job...why?...because, in this case, she's a she and moreover, she's black/asian and daughter of immigrants, pick your bigotry...you get the same coded stuff with a-holes like Vance who just claimed she's "not thankful enough" that she's an American, as if she, especially, needs to be thankful...given, what, her racial or child of immigrants or female status? Flat bigoted.

He also suggested that she's not "qualified"...when she's obviously far more accomplished than he is.

It's all a wink wink nod to the bigots.
Ugly stuff that should rightfully be mocked and flat rejected.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:05 pm

Those people are morons.

If there are people who REALLY think the US needs a civil war or says the political system is broken, they need to instead just suggest and sponsor legislation that promotes term limits for ALL elected officials.

Why is that?
Yes, they are indeed morons. MAGA is full of them.

There have always been morons, but we (Republicans) used to reject and ostracize the worst of them on our side of the fence...now the MAGA elite retweet them, applaud them, play to them, excite them...

Rejecting them, ostracizing them, made it more credible when we mocked the morons on the extreme left.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The midterms were Dems telling Joe to go away and he didn’t listen
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
njbill

Post by njbill »

Those people are morons.

Why is that?
I certainly agree, but the problem is that the people who would vote for them, the reps and the senators, don’t want them. How many centuries did Strom Thurman serve?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Those people are morons.

Why is that?
I certainly agree, but the problem is that the people who would vote for them, the reps and the senators, don’t want them. How many centuries did Strom Thurman serve?
That's is easy to solve. Vote for term limits, and add in that anyone currently in an elected position is immune, meaning they are safe. That way it's not immediate and there is no reason for them to be concerned.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ggait

Post by ggait »

First poll is in.

Kamala +2 over Trump head to head nationally. Joe was -2 in the same poll before dropping out.

Harris is +4 over Trump with RFK Jr. included.

I'm sure others will be coming in soon.

But game on.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/harris ... 024-07-23/
Last edited by ggait on Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”