The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: 2024

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:02 am Just out of curiosity isn't trump suppose to be sentenced in September? Has that been delayed again?
Nope
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:39 pm Jim Webb presaged the emergence of J D Vance.

https://ashbrook.org/viewpoint/oped-owens-04-webb/

Before dissing Vance as a grifter, scam artist or opportunist, take the time to understand him.
You might conclude that he's trying to accomplish some things that you agree with.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?419678-4/ ... illy-elegy

https://www.c-span.org/video/?415207-1/qa-jd-vance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVvuTKWzOcs
....and you're going to rip him apart if he doesn't help the working class, and call him a phony, right?

Or are you going to make excuses?
ggait

Post by ggait »

As a lifelong fan of the Knickerbockers, I can say that this observation is 100% dead on:

Nate Silver
@NateSilver538

OK some of the Kamala stuff is going a little overboard, but as a New York Knicks fan I recognize there's a kind of euphoria that results from escaping tragicomic levels of doom for just feeling like you have a chance.

7:18 AM · Jul 22, 2024
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:34 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:32 am I don't generally buy into watching the stock market as a good barometer of politics trends, but this is interesting. Of course, could be short lived. We're currently near all-time highs, so not sure what this reporting means...wishful thinking?

1 hr 51 min ago
US stock futures rebound after Biden drops out
From CNN's David Goldman and Mark Thompson
US stock futures rebounded Monday after the worst week Wall Street has seen since April. It was the market’s first reaction to President Joe Biden’s Sunday announcement that he would drop out of the 2024 presidential race.

Significant doubt about Biden’s ability to beat former President Donald Trump led Wall Street to begin to price in a Trump victory in November. That became apparent with so-called Trump trades, in which investors bought up stocks they believed Trump’s tariff-heavy agenda could benefit – and they likewise sold off stocks related to green energy and other industries traders believed Trump’s policies could hurt.

Meanwhile, a large number of economists have predicted Trump’s policies would make America’s inflation problem worse, and he would balloon the US deficit. As Trump’s fortunes appeared to advance in recent weeks, US Treasury prices fell and yields rose, which they often do in anticipation of higher inflation.

With the Democratic party now apparently coalescing around Vice President Kamala Harris as its likely nominee, some of those Trump trades could begin to unwind – or at least go on hiatus until new polling begins to show whether or not Harris appears to stand a better chance against Trump than Biden did.

Dow futures rose 60 points, or 0.2%. S&P 500 futures were up 0.4% and Nasdaq future were 0.7% higher. European markets were higher, and Asian markets closed mostly lower. US Treasuries rose a bit early Monday, trimming yields, and the dollar was softer against major currencies.
https://apnews.com/article/stock-market ... 56705d6ce3

Biden’s decision “barely dented financial markets,” Stephen Innes of SPI Asset Management said in a commentary. “U.S. yields and the dollar opened slightly weaker in Asia but then rebounded, suggesting investors were fully clued into this outcome. The odds of a Trump victory also haven’t changed much,” he said.
Again, I don't put much "stock" in such, but at the moment, the Dow is up a half point, S&P up a point, NASDAQ up a point and a half.

Polling prior to the past 24 hours really means nothing, but the vibe has shifted rather dramatically, both with endorsements and the $50 million in small dollar donations, so I suspect the market is positively reacting as that as this article suggests.

But we'll see...the market is already at all time highs...much easier to go down than a lot up, IMO.

There's probably going to be a little rotation again with stocks that would benefit from tariffs down a bit after being pumped up last week, versus stocks that benefit from 'green' policies rotating up again a bit. Overall, I wouldn't expect big moves, especially given all-time highs already.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:20 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:13 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:04 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:21 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:03 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:01 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:56 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:10 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:20 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:47 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:21 pm I do not believe Moore or Shapiro want the VP position, in fact I think Moore has come out and said he will remain MD governor, he is not interested in President this cycle.

Beshear is good, Kelly is good. Personally l like Kelly best, something of an American hero (for VP).

Kamala will generate more excitement with the base than any of the named.

You know I think back, didn't the democrats nominate and win with some guy in a wheelchair. Can't remember his name. Was president a bunch of times. Wish I could remember his name.
I believe when people see Kamala eat Donald’s lunch head to head, they may have a different opinion of her. Someone with have a brain will come across much better than The Donald. His act has gotten stale. Saw Mark Burns using his schtick. Right down to the “I can’t see in the back…is the Mainstream Media here…..? The people in the audience look bored. Crowds look smaller, older and poorer…. Kamala is much smarter than him and she has a logical mind developed as a career prosecutor. A friend told me years ago, he would hate to be married to her and have to answer her questions😂😂😂
I would hate to be married to her and listen to that annoying cackling laugh. As to if she is smarter than trump, her IQ is right up there with a turnip. Hell even AOC wants her off of any ticket if Joe pulls the plug on his 2nd term. I find it hard to believe Harris will ever resonate with mainstream Americans.
But you don’t find it hard to believe that Donald Trump resonated with mainstream Americans?
"Mainstream Americans" is code.
(as you know)
I don't speak in code MD. I say what I think. I know exactly why trump resonated with mainstream America and I believe you so as well. FTR I never voted for him and I will not this time around.
You meant white America, cradle.
Feel free to explain exactly what you meant otherwise, but that's what its coded meaning is, whether consciously or unconsciously.

BTW, I think she can resonate fine with a large portion of "mainstream"...but not all, and particularly less so with white men, and even less so with less educated white men...that latter group "resonates" with Trump much more...
No sir, I meant mainstream America. In my world mainstream America includes everyone irregardless of the color of their skin. In your world all you see are hidden meanings that don't exist IMO. FTR when I say trumps message resonates with mainstream America that doesn't mean that mainstream America necessarily agrees with the message. Is the gist of your point suppose to be that only well educated people are capable of understanding the big picture?

I believe us uneducated folks rely on something that is sorely lacking among many of the well educated in this country. I'm referring to that phenomenon called " common sense " You don't need a college degree to understand that both parties are failing miserably when it comes to doing the job they were elected to do.
So, if nearly 50% of America will support her, and perhaps, like every other candidate who has run against Trump, more than 50%, which part of "mainstream" will not "resonate" with her? What "message" of her candidacy does not "resonate", whereas Trump's does and yet he got less than 50% of voter support?

You do realize the demographics of Trump's support have particular characteristics that are quite different from those who have run against him, right?

Or are you saying by "mainstream" you mean "everyone"... like you?
I'm only concerned about myself. I don't give a rip about what you refer to as " people like me "
Is that your definition of "people like you", those who would say "I'm only concerned about myself"; and that's "mainstream"?

How about just grappling with my question about your opinion of Harris "resonating" versus Trump "resonating"? Seems to me that each "resonates" with millions of Americans, but neither "resonate" with all "mainstream" Americans".

Different folks, and there are strong demographic correlations for each...
Why is it that so often you struggle with very simple and basic concepts. I could explain it to you but you wouldn't understand anyway. The thin air up on your lofty perch may have a lot to do with that. 8-)
How come you can't answer straightforward, simple and basic questions?

You sound stumped...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:26 am
old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:39 pm Jim Webb presaged the emergence of J D Vance.

Before dissing Vance as a grifter, scam artist or opportunist, take the time to understand him.
You might conclude that he's trying to accomplish some things that you agree with.

....and you're going to rip him apart if he doesn't help the working class, and call him a phony, right?

You are projecting here a bit but I know one thing. The working class has had the government working against them for decades. Why do I know that? Because I hear them tell me every damn day. Why do I know that? Our late former Congresswoman Louise Slaughter served 16 terms in Congress my man. Every 2 years she opined that she needed to be reelected so she could fix what was wrong in DC. She had 32 years my man to fix what was wrong and never did. As a matter of fact she never came close. She did succeed in her pet pork project to obtain 38 million dollars for a new train station for downtown Rochester. That train station proudly bears her name on it in big shiny letters. I guess she did fix something after all? :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:53 am

You are projecting here a bit but I know one thing.
Nor projecting at all....I'm marking this so that if and when Vance doesn't do what he's claiming, OS has the chance to tell us Vance is a opportunist and a hypocrite.

And I'm happy to support Vance if he puts his money where his mouth is.....
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:53 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:21 pm I do not believe Moore or Shapiro want the VP position, in fact I think Moore has come out and said he will remain MD governor, he is not interested in President this cycle.

Beshear is good, Kelly is good. Personally l like Kelly best, something of an American hero (for VP).

You know I think back, didn't the democrats nominate and win with some guy in a wheelchair. Can't remember his name. Was president a bunch of times. Wish I could remember his name.
I believe when people see Kamala eat Donald’s lunch head to head, they may have a different opinion of her. Someone with have a brain will come across much better than The Donald. His act has gotten stale. Saw Mark Burns using his schtick. Right down to the “I can’t see in the back…is the Mainstream Media here…..? The people in the audience look bored. Crowds look smaller, older and poorer…. Kamala is much smarter than him and she has a logical mind developed as a career prosecutor. A friend told me years ago, he would hate to be married to her and have to answer her questions😂😂😂
I would hate to be married to her and listen to that annoying cackling laugh. As to if she is smarter than trump, her IQ is right up there with a turnip. Hell even AOC wants her off of any ticket if Joe pulls the plug on his 2nd term. I find it hard to believe Harris will ever resonate with mainstream Americans.
But you don’t find it hard to believe that Donald Trump resonated with mainstream Americans?
(as you know)
I don't speak in code MD. I say what I think. I know exactly why trump resonated with mainstream America and I believe you so as well. FTR I never voted for him and I will not this time around.
Feel free to explain exactly what you meant otherwise, but that's what its coded meaning is, whether consciously or unconsciously.

BTW, I think she can resonate fine with a large portion of "mainstream"...but not all, and particularly less so with white men, and even less so with less educated white men...that latter group "resonates" with Trump much more...
No sir, I meant mainstream America. In my world mainstream America includes everyone irregardless of the color of their skin. In your world all you see are hidden meanings that don't exist IMO. FTR when I say trumps message resonates with mainstream America that doesn't mean that mainstream America necessarily agrees with the message. Is the gist of your point suppose to be that only well educated people are capable of understanding the big picture?

I believe us uneducated folks rely on something that is sorely lacking among many of the well educated in this country. I'm referring to that phenomenon called " common sense " You don't need a college degree to understand that both parties are failing miserably when it comes to doing the job they were elected to do.
So, if nearly 50% of America will support her, and perhaps, like every other candidate who has run against Trump, more than 50%, which part of "mainstream" will not "resonate" with her? What "message" of her candidacy does not "resonate", whereas Trump's does and yet he got less than 50% of voter support?

You do realize the demographics of Trump's support have particular characteristics that are quite different from those who have run against him, right?

I'm only concerned about myself. I don't give a rip about what you refer to as " people like me "
Is that your definition of "people like you", those who would say "I'm only concerned about myself"; and that's "mainstream"?

How about just grappling with my question about your opinion of Harris "resonating" versus Trump "resonating"? Seems to me that each "resonates" with millions of Americans, but neither "resonate" with all "mainstream" Americans".

Why is it that so often you struggle with very simple and basic concepts. I could explain it to you but you wouldn't understand anyway. The thin air up on your lofty perch may have a lot to do with that. 8-)

You sound stumped...
Why answer questions asked of a person who has a profound inability to comprehend any answer that doesn't fit into his preconceived notions? :D
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:53 am

(as you know)

You sound stumped...
Why answer questions asked of a person who has a profound inability to comprehend any answer that doesn't fit into his preconceived notions? :D
You sound stumped.
But ok, I guess I shouldn't care what you think?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:08 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:53 am

You are projecting here a bit but I know one thing.
Nor projecting at all....I'm marking this so that if and when Vance doesn't do what he's claiming, OS has the chance to tell us Vance is a opportunist and a hypocrite.

And I'm happy to support Vance if he puts his money where his mouth is.....
I hope you do mark this. I'm a betting man and I'll put my money on any politician of either party breaking any promise they make. Following through on a promise made by a politician isn't and never will be their strong suit.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Fetterman just endorsed Kamala.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ggait

Post by ggait »

Beshear and Cooper both endorsed Harris on Morning Joe this morning.

Both are red state Dem governors who are term limited and so cannot seek re-election.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:48 pm Beshear and Cooper both endorsed Harris on Morning Joe this morning.

Both are red state Dem governors who are term limited and so cannot seek re-election.
I like both.

Tim Walz is now starting to get some discussion. He is older guy by like him a lot as well.

.... Pelosi just endorsed, glowingly.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I wonder how much time elapsed between Biden’s statement yesterday and Maya Rudolph’s agent’s call to Lorne Michaels.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

.. the funniest thing you will likely hear today ...

Joe Manchin says he wouldn't serve as Kamala's VP. I don't think anyone will ask or be upset by Joe's declaration. :lol: :lol: :roll:
ggait

Post by ggait »

77 year old Manchin, who is not a registered Dem any more, announces that he won’t run against against Harris as a re registered Dem for the nomination.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:04 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:02 am Just out of curiosity isn't trump suppose to be sentenced in September? Has that been delayed again?
Nope
Gotta be pretty tricky to run for president when your in the slammer. 8-)
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ggait wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:57 pm 77 year old Manchin, who is not a registered Dem any more, announces that he won’t run against against Harris as a re registered Dem for the nomination.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Betcha Nancy had a lil chat with him. Those old broken bones don't heal very fast. ;) He could fall down a flight of stairs just like that.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:51 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

.. the funniest thing you will likely hear today ...

Joe Manchin says he wouldn't serve as Kamala's VP. I don't think anyone will ask or be upset by Joe's declaration. :lol: :lol: :roll:
I betcha if he was sent to the southern border to stop the hemorrhaging he could do what his might be boss failed miserably at. Kamala would look pretty damn silly then wouldn't she doc? ;) I can even go the male sexist pig route and say it takes an old man to do what a little girl couldn't. FTR... SARCASM I don't want to be responsible for heads exploding all over this forum.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Ya gotta give the Democrats credit. They have wasted no time at all cracking the whip and getting all their little ducklets in a row. Nobody in his or her right or left mind is going to contest diddly jack chit at the Democrat Convention. At least not if you know what's good for you. There will unity or else. :D
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”