CAA 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: CAA 2025

Post by 10stone5 »

The CAA just isn’t very good these days.
They’ve fallen behind other conferences -
resource wise, its expensive to keep up.

Still, Tigers have the talent and could pull off an NCAA tournament upset next year.
Hens, as mentioned, will benefit from moving to the A-10.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:03 pm Does anyone think we will see some improvement from Monmouth in 2025?
They were improved in 2024. Beat Stony Brook, several one-goal losses incl Villanova. They were in the jumble for the final playoff spot, but ended on a weak note, losing 17-2 @ Towson, then 6-4 vs Drexel in finale (shutout in first half).

The roster included several key transfers, including in goal. Mix of grads and guys with multiple years. Not sure how much comes back.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

getitdone wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:57 pm Gravante got a lot of PT where his Dad was the coach. There is no benefit in Newark.

I am curious as to why 10stone5 feels that the CAA is now in the bottom 3 of conferences. America East, Atlantic Sun, MAAC, Metro
The real problem in the conference is the RPI killer which everyone doesn't want to talk about.

Towson and Delaware would have all beaten the top members of any of those conferences. CAA will be just fine. Drexel beat UMBC and the AE champs Albany and they finished 4th in the CAA. Delaware is a tough loss but Towson, Fairfield, Drexel, Stony Brook should be able to keep the conference afloat if they recruit well and attract the right talent.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:09 pm Some good CAA talent on display for Springfield (SE PA - DelCo - Kyle Long) at the state finals.

Tyler Gougler (attack - Drexel), Jackson Kennedy (goalie - Tigers), and other, Pat Flaherty (attack - Terps), Bill Henderson (defense - Penn State).
Some more good solid SE PA future CAA talent on display at West Chester Henderson (Luke Wierman) for the state finals.

Andrew Goldt (2024-Tigers), Luke Mingioni (2024-Drexel) for Frank Urso's team, dropping an OT game to Radnor in the semi-finals. Owen Knight (2024-Drexel) with the overtime game winner, good play also from a former CAA (Villanova) Kessler Cox - but Goldt to Mingioni with the play of the game, a behind the back perfectly placed assist from Goldt to Mingioni to get Urso's team to a tie near the end of regulation.

edit: left out recent late Tiger commit Kai Lopez, face off, not necessarily get off man from SE PA Garnet Valley.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

50 Years Ago, the Towson Tigers Were NCAA Lacrosse Champions

early-1970s: Runk was in the basement laundry room washing the uniforms for the Towson football team on a Sunday night. He coached football and lacrosse at the same time — a different era, of course. There was a concert going on upstairs that night, but Runk wasn’t too interested. So he’s washing the laundry when a guy in a leather jacket with tassels comes in and strikes up a conversation.
They talk for about 20 minutes before the guy gets going. He asks Runk, “What do you do?”
“I’m the head football and lacrosse coach.”
The nice, leather-jacketed man replies: “What the hell kind of school is this that the football coach does the laundry?”

It wasn’t until the next day when Runk saw the program from the previous night’s event. That was The Gambler himself, Kenny Rogers.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... e_vignette
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

GaitsRightHand

Re: US Men’s U20 Tryouts

Post by GaitsRightHand » Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:50 am
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -out/63713

USA U20 Training Roster
A-Rhett Chambers | 2023 | Mamaroneck (N.Y.) | 2Way | Providence
A-Tim Shannehan | 2024 | Fairfield Prep (Conn.) | Eclipse | Boston University
M-Charlie Packard | 2023 | Hingham (Mass.) | Kings | Richmond
LSM-Brady Nicholas | 2024 | Loyola Blakefield (Md.) | Baltimore Crabs | Marquette
D-Michael Crane | 2023 | Evergreen (Colo.) | Denver Elite | Utah
G-Kasey Heath | 2023 | Kent Island (Md.) | Annapolis Hawks | Lehigh

Other Tryout Attendees
A-Clifford Chapman | 2024 | Hill School (Pa.) | Blue Star | Lafayette
A-Gavin Creo | 2023 | Chaminade (N.Y.) | LI Express | Richmond
A-Ben Dale | 2024 | Millbrook (N.Y.) | Second City | Providence
A-Hunter Polonkey | 2023 | Brother Rice (Mich.) | Juiced Cherries | Lehigh

M-Andrew Goldt | 2024 | Garnet Valley (Pa.) | Big4 HHH | Towson

M-Daniel Picart | 2024 | Pleasantville (N.Y.) | Express North | Richmond
M-Leo Sequenzia | 2023 | Staples (Conn.) | Eclipse | Providence
M-Peter Theodoropoulos | 2022 | Eastport South Manor (N.Y.) | LI Legacy | Lehigh
LSM-Michael Cassano | 2023 | MacArthur (N.Y.) | Team 91 Warriors | Marist
LSM-Jake Melchionni | 2023 | Delbarton (N.J.) | Leading Edge | Villanova
Quite a lot of non top 100 type players in the mix here for the U-20 teams.

Andrew Goldt - Urso had him at attack when I saw him, I mentioned before made some quality plays to nearly get Garnet Valley past Radnor in the PA states.

IL - "Next most surprising was Towson rising freshman Andrew Goldt, who I thought played fast and made the easy play in drills, then did a nice job guarding Eli Schaller in one sequence."
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

10 Stone:

I was at the Radnor - Garnet Valley game at Henderson too. In Inside Lacrosse’s final national rankings for public schools Radnor is #1 and Garnet Valley #.6 or 7? Not surprisingly, their PIAA semi-final playoff game may very well be one of the very best high school lacrosse games that I have ever seen! Even though I really didn’t have a dog in that fight, I was so excited at the finish (a spectacular OT goal scored by a Drexel commit) that it took me a couple of extra hours to fall asleep after I got home that night. It was an outstanding game that featured exciting plays on both ends of the field. We are so lucky to have so many competitive HS lacrosse teams in SE Pennsylvania.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nice decommit from that crowded High Point roster,
Tigers again mining that SE PA market, Marple Newtown won the next level publics PA state title this year.

David Bertoline
Towson
Marple Newtown Shs (PA)
Class of 2024 - Defense
6-2 | 195lbs
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

ATTACK
Owen Knight, Radnor (Drexel)
Gavin Michener, Penn Charter (Villanova)
Tyler Gougler, Springfield-Delco (Drexel)
Teddy Fenlin, St. Joseph’s Prep (Hobart)
Brady Welsh, Spring-Ford (Uncommitted)
Max Wickersham, La Salle (Hopkins)

MIDFIELD
Justin Besz, Upper Merion (Uncommitted)
Brian Box Marple, Newtown (Cornell)
Luke Valerio, Springfield-Delco (Uncommitted-2026)

DEFENSE
Gavin Seaman, Bayard Rustin (Monmouth)

LONG STICK MIDFIELD
David Bertoline, Marple Newtown (Tigers)

FOM
Kai Lopez, Garnet Valley (Tigers)

GOALIE
Hayes Schreiner, Springside Chestnut Hill (Penn State)
All SE PA 2024.

Nobody has picked up Frank Urso's Andrew Keaveney - which I find hard to believe as he was the best goaltender I saw in this year's state playoffs,

https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-lacross ... --keaveney

Post by 10stone5 »

Drexel roster is up, without freshmen yet,
they let some guys go - the roster was too big,

I would like to have seen what Ronnie Gunter Jr would have done with one more year, very athletic, but unfortunately they were never really able to use his talents consistently.

https://drexeldragons.com/sports/mens-l ... ?sort=name

Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

EDIT: In relation to Keavaney.

Kid can ball.

Unrelated/related: why do so many SID's spell "Garnet" as "Garnett"? Anything is possible. Maybe even SID's understanding that our district is named after the gemstone, not the hooper.

https://drexeldragons.com/sports/mens-l ... olio/10730

https://cuse.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/r ... more/21173

No better in D3. Hell, my bio from 20 years ago was listed as Great Valley, PA. A place I am aware of, but not from.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Drexel HC Brian Voelker announces retirement from college coaching after 15 years at Drexel, preceded by 7 as HC at Penn. Assistant Steve Boyle named interim HC. News release: https://drexeldragons.com/news/2024/7/2 ... retirement
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I knew it was happening soon, just not this year.
Their big recruiting (for that school) Voelker classes were 2021 and 2023.
Longer term, the 2021 class didn't quite pan out, but short term it did - they made the 2021 NCAAs.
The class from two years ago was good, solid - and I thought Voelker would ride that one out, but it wasn't to be.
Boyle is the clear follow up here - Boyle and Durkin, coaches 1a and 1b. So Voelker left the cupboard (for them) fairly full. No Reid Bowerings, but good and with the post-Hens CAA - they'll compete with the Tigers, they'll be in the top three-four. Recruiting of course is the key, I'll be curious to see how Boyle does in a little over a month with the 2026 class. Interim coach - that means a 1 year trial at head coach.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

If its Boyle
I’ll expect an uptick on the offensive side

good fundamental, good size offensive players
as Boyle was in his day.

Boyle went to two title games, won one.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

From philly chatter, it sounds like the players on the team are all in for Boyle voicing their support behind him. The "search" is a bit of a formality at this point.

Great recruiter and offensive mind, I think he'll do very well
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Top 2024 SE PA scoring

Post by hofpride »

Whats Hofstra gonna look like this yr?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:50 am Top 2024 SE PA scoring

sepa.jpg
GV plays an 18 game schedule. These point total seem v high. Do they play defense in this league? I no nothing about the league etc, just asking. Why is top pt leader going D3? Rest seem going to some version of D1
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:53 pm

sepa.jpg
GV plays an 18 game schedule. These point total seem v high. Do they play defense in this league? I know nothing about the league etc, just asking. Why is top pt leader going D3? Rest seem going to some version of D1
Frank Urso's team played 25 games this year. Andrew Goldt averaged just under 5 points a game.
Came close to getting to the finals again. The publics like Garnet Valley rarely play the IAC privates. IAC privates play many MIAA teams. Usually top public players get recruited to the IACs or they'll do a PG year. Matt Moore though from Garnet Valley went straight from that public to UVA - Michael Sowers from Upper Dublin didn't need to bother with the privates or PG.
Players are getting recruited from across the state now, not just the Phila area. Christopher Newport is a top 10 or so Division III, so that is a good get for them
The most talented 2024 player, incoming freshman, I've seen is from outside Pittsburgh, he's going to Loyola - potential top 50 I think except he's coming off a pretty serious injury.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

sepa.jpg
What is this list? We
Chatter about fenlin in the past. Is this scoring or accolades or just evaluation?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”