~46~ Lame Duck Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: ~46~ Joe Biden ~46~

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

John Meacham in the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/22/opin ... -hero.html

"On the cliffs of Normandy, in a small holding area, the president of the United States was looking out at the English Channel. It was only six weeks ago, on the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings, and President Biden had just finished his remarks at the American cemetery atop Omaha Beach. Guests had been congratulating him on the speech, but he didn’t want to talk about himself. The moment was not about him; it was about the men who had fought and died there. “Today feels so large,” he told me. “This may sound strange — and I don’t mean it to — but when I was out there, I felt the honor of it, the sanctity of it. To speak for the American people, to speak over those graves, it’s a profound thing.” He turned from the view over the beaches and gestured back toward the war dead. “You want to do right by them, by the country.”

Mr. Biden has spent a lifetime trying to do right by the nation, and he did so in the most epic of ways when he chose to end his campaign for re-election. His decision is one of the most remarkable acts of leadership in our history, an act of self-sacrifice that places him in the company of George Washington, who also stepped away from the presidency. To put something ahead of one’s immediate desires — to give, rather than to try to take — is perhaps the most difficult thing for any human being to do. And Mr. Biden has done just that.

To be clear: Mr. Biden is my friend, and it has been a privilege to help him when I can. Not because I am a Democrat — I belong to neither party and have voted for both Democrats and Republicans — but because I believe him to be a defender of the Constitution and a public servant of honor and of grace at a time when extreme forces threaten the nation. I do not agree with everything he has done or wanted to do in terms of policy. But I know him to be a good man, a patriot and a president who has met challenges all too similar to those Abraham Lincoln faced.

Here is the story I believe history will tell of Joe Biden. With American democracy in an hour of maximum danger in Donald Trump’s presidency, Mr. Biden stepped in the breach. He staved off an authoritarian threat at home, rallied the world against autocrats abroad, laid the foundations for decades of prosperity, managed the end of a once-in-a-century pandemic, successfully legislated on vital issues of climate and infrastructure and has conducted a presidency worthy of the greatest of his predecessors. History and fate brought him to the pinnacle in a late season in his life, and in the end, he respected fate — and he respected the American people.

It is, of course, an incredibly difficult moment. Highs and lows, victories and defeats, joy and pain: It has been ever thus for Mr. Biden. In the distant autumn of 1972, he experienced the most exhilarating of hours — election to the United States Senate at the age of 29. He was no scion; he earned it. Then darkness fell: His wife and daughter were killed in an automobile accident that seriously injured his two sons, Beau and Hunter. But he endured, found purpose in the pain, became deeper, wiser, more empathetic. Through the decades, two presidential campaigns imploded, and in 2015 his son Beau, a lawyer and wonderfully promising young political figure, died of brain cancer after serving in Iraq.

Such tragedy would have broken many lesser men. Mr. Biden, however, never gave up, never gave in, never surrendered the hope that a fallen, frail and fallible world could be made better, stronger and more whole if people could summon just enough goodness and enough courage to build rather than tear down.

Character, as the Greeks first taught us, is destiny, and Mr. Biden’s character is both a mirror and a maker of his nation’s. Like Franklin Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan, he is optimistic, resilient and kind, a steward of American greatness, a lover of the great game of politics and, at heart, a hopeless romantic about the country that has given him so much.

Nothing bears out this point as well as his decision to let history happen in the 2024 election. No matter how much people say that this was inevitable after the debate in Atlanta last month, there was nothing foreordained about an American president ending his political career for the sake of his country and his party. By surrendering the possibility of enduring in the seat of ultimate power, Mr. Biden has taught us a landmark lesson in patriotism, humility and wisdom.

Now the question comes to the rest of us. What will we the people do? We face the most significant of choices. Mr. Roosevelt framed the war whose dead Mr. Biden commemorated at Normandy in June as a battle between democracy and dictatorship. It is not too much to say that we, too, have what Mr. Roosevelt called a “rendezvous with destiny” at home and abroad. Mr. Biden has put country above self, the Constitution above personal ambition, the future of democracy above temporal gain. It is up to us to follow his lead."
cradleandshoot

Re: ~46~ Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:48 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:24 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:10 pm Some observations:

~ Why did the letter he wrote not come with White House letter head or WH Seal being sent to Congress, this seems to be official National business

~ Does not come out and convey to the people his intentions,...is this a cop-out...what are we missing here.
~ Kamala barely even received delegate votes in her 2020 run for POTUS.

~ Waited for the RNC to complete to see who the VP selection was

~ Ignored most, until money starting drying up and BHO, along with his friends piled on. I actually believe as stated earlier, this was the play all along, and they needed to stretch this out as long as possible to keep cash flowing until the 11th hour, prior to DNC.

~ Democratic Party is showing that they are indeed an oligarchy, while also catering to the highest bidders.

~ Does this now put to rest that there is 'Deep State" in action, on both sides.

~ Trump caters to the big businesses, as did Joe, giving them what they want.....who is going to compete against Trump from the Democratic side that will fall in line with status quo? Clinton is the only one, outside of Joe, that has gone toe-to-toe with Trump.

~ One could argue, as I've stated before....they want Trump to be president b/c they knew Joe was bad for the USA and Trump will give them what they ask for, just like last time and they know he goes away after this term.....are the playing the long game?
You might consider a team of professional psychotherapists.
Agreed, my therapists advised me to hang around here after she read many other posters comments….she said I am much further along than the others. 😂
Hell, I could have told you that. ;)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:07 am

~ Why did the letter he wrote not come with White House letter head or WH Seal being sent to Congress, this seems to be official National business

~ Does not come out and convey to the people his intentions,...is this a cop-out...what are we missing here.

~ Ignored most, until money starting drying up and BHO, along with his friends piled on. I actually believe as stated earlier, this was the play all along, and they needed to stretch this out as long as possible to keep cash flowing until the 11th hour, prior to DNC.

~ Democratic Party is showing that they are indeed an oligarchy, while also catering to the highest bidders.

~ Does this now put to rest that there is 'Deep State" in action, on both sides.

~ Trump caters to the big businesses, as did Joe, giving them what they want.....who is going to compete against Trump from the Democratic side that will fall in line with status quo? Clinton is the only one, outside of Joe, that has gone toe-to-toe with Trump.

~ One could argue, as I've stated before....they want Trump to be president b/c they knew Joe was bad for the USA and Trump will give them what they ask for, just like last time and they know he goes away after this term.....are the playing the long game?
Agreed, my therapists advised me to hang around here after she read many other posters comments….she said I am much further along than the others. 😂
Now there’s a pro endorsement.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:43 am

Obviously therapy hasn't worked all that well for you. Have you tried anger management? :D
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:15 am

Obviously therapy hasn't worked all that well for you. Have you tried anger management? :D
Hah! I'm not angry.
MDlaxfan76

Re: ~46~ Joe Biden ~46~

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:48 am John Meacham in the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/22/opin ... -hero.html

"On the cliffs of Normandy, in a small holding area, the president of the United States was looking out at the English Channel. It was only six weeks ago, on the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings, and President Biden had just finished his remarks at the American cemetery atop Omaha Beach. Guests had been congratulating him on the speech, but he didn’t want to talk about himself. The moment was not about him; it was about the men who had fought and died there. “Today feels so large,” he told me. “This may sound strange — and I don’t mean it to — but when I was out there, I felt the honor of it, the sanctity of it. To speak for the American people, to speak over those graves, it’s a profound thing.” He turned from the view over the beaches and gestured back toward the war dead. “You want to do right by them, by the country.”

Mr. Biden has spent a lifetime trying to do right by the nation, and he did so in the most epic of ways when he chose to end his campaign for re-election. His decision is one of the most remarkable acts of leadership in our history, an act of self-sacrifice that places him in the company of George Washington, who also stepped away from the presidency. To put something ahead of one’s immediate desires — to give, rather than to try to take — is perhaps the most difficult thing for any human being to do. And Mr. Biden has done just that.

To be clear: Mr. Biden is my friend, and it has been a privilege to help him when I can. Not because I am a Democrat — I belong to neither party and have voted for both Democrats and Republicans — but because I believe him to be a defender of the Constitution and a public servant of honor and of grace at a time when extreme forces threaten the nation. I do not agree with everything he has done or wanted to do in terms of policy. But I know him to be a good man, a patriot and a president who has met challenges all too similar to those Abraham Lincoln faced.

Here is the story I believe history will tell of Joe Biden. With American democracy in an hour of maximum danger in Donald Trump’s presidency, Mr. Biden stepped in the breach. He staved off an authoritarian threat at home, rallied the world against autocrats abroad, laid the foundations for decades of prosperity, managed the end of a once-in-a-century pandemic, successfully legislated on vital issues of climate and infrastructure and has conducted a presidency worthy of the greatest of his predecessors. History and fate brought him to the pinnacle in a late season in his life, and in the end, he respected fate — and he respected the American people.

It is, of course, an incredibly difficult moment. Highs and lows, victories and defeats, joy and pain: It has been ever thus for Mr. Biden. In the distant autumn of 1972, he experienced the most exhilarating of hours — election to the United States Senate at the age of 29. He was no scion; he earned it. Then darkness fell: His wife and daughter were killed in an automobile accident that seriously injured his two sons, Beau and Hunter. But he endured, found purpose in the pain, became deeper, wiser, more empathetic. Through the decades, two presidential campaigns imploded, and in 2015 his son Beau, a lawyer and wonderfully promising young political figure, died of brain cancer after serving in Iraq.

Such tragedy would have broken many lesser men. Mr. Biden, however, never gave up, never gave in, never surrendered the hope that a fallen, frail and fallible world could be made better, stronger and more whole if people could summon just enough goodness and enough courage to build rather than tear down.

Character, as the Greeks first taught us, is destiny, and Mr. Biden’s character is both a mirror and a maker of his nation’s. Like Franklin Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan, he is optimistic, resilient and kind, a steward of American greatness, a lover of the great game of politics and, at heart, a hopeless romantic about the country that has given him so much.

Nothing bears out this point as well as his decision to let history happen in the 2024 election. No matter how much people say that this was inevitable after the debate in Atlanta last month, there was nothing foreordained about an American president ending his political career for the sake of his country and his party. By surrendering the possibility of enduring in the seat of ultimate power, Mr. Biden has taught us a landmark lesson in patriotism, humility and wisdom.

Now the question comes to the rest of us. What will we the people do? We face the most significant of choices. Mr. Roosevelt framed the war whose dead Mr. Biden commemorated at Normandy in June as a battle between democracy and dictatorship. It is not too much to say that we, too, have what Mr. Roosevelt called a “rendezvous with destiny” at home and abroad. Mr. Biden has put country above self, the Constitution above personal ambition, the future of democracy above temporal gain. It is up to us to follow his lead."
As usual, Meacham is worth reading and listening to. I particularly enjoy hearing him, with the southern drawl permeating through his careful words.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:22 am

Hah! I'm not angry.
Could of fooled me. One mention of trump can turn you into one of Pavlov's dogs, a bit on the rabid side as well. :D
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:41 am

Hah! I'm not angry.
Could of fooled me. One mention of trump can turn you into one of Pavlov's dogs, a bit on the rabid side as well. :D
Well, there's a difference between not suffering foolishness and gaslighting, and being angry.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Re: ~46~ Lame Duck Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

Quick and somewhat stupid sounding but serious question: Has anyone seen any news reporting on where Joe Biden actually is, or if he's been seen? As of a little while ago (at least as far as I can discern) no sightings for a long time on the heels of a momentous moment yesterday afternoon.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:04 am Quick and somewhat stupid sounding but serious question: Has anyone seen any news reporting on where Joe Biden actually is, or if he's been seen? As of a little while ago (at least as far as I can discern) no sightings for a long time on the heels of a momentous moment yesterday afternoon.
He is isolating from COVID at his home in Rehoboth Beach - this isolation may explain why he has not been seen
Sheesh :oops:

Cannot wait for your theory....... :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:59 am

Hah! I'm not angry.
Well, there's a difference between not suffering foolishness and gaslighting, and being angry.
Yet again counselor you coulda fooled me. I don't see much difference at all between Democrats and Republicans in regards to their level of anger and foolishness. If you want to motivate your base step # 1 is get em mad as hell. They then become malleable enough to mold them anyway you want.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:59 am

Hah! I'm not angry.
Yet again counselor you coulda fooled me. I don't see much difference at all between Democrats and Republicans in regards to their level of anger and foolishness. If you want to motivate your base step # 1 is get em mad as hell. They then become malleable enough to mold them anyway you want.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:04 am Quick and somewhat stupid sounding but serious question: Has anyone seen any news reporting on where Joe Biden actually is, or if he's been seen? As of a little while ago (at least as far as I can discern) no sightings for a long time on the heels of a momentous moment yesterday afternoon.
Agreed. The way in which this all went down is strange, as I noted last evening. Maybe his bout with CV19 is taking a significant toll. Has anyone shared how Joe is doing?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:06 am
He is isolating from COVID at his home in Rehoboth Beach - this isolation may explain why he has not been seen

:lol: :lol: Did you forget he practically lived and communicated with the nation from his basement via the internet?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:13 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:06 am

:lol: :lol: Did you forget he practically lived and communicated with the nation from his basement via the internet?
Was just asking, and my tinfoil hat is temporarily lost in the jumble at the back of the garage. ;)

Kind of a momentous moment, and even a quick hello from Rehoboth Station would have seemed to be in order.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:51 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:10 pm ~ One could argue, as I've stated before....they want Trump to be president b/c they knew Joe was good for the USA and more critical of Billionaires and huge corporations and Trump will give them what they ask for, just like last time and they know he goes away after this term.....are the playing the long game?
Fixed that for you in bold.

Over 60 Billionaires are Backing Donald Trump for President Who is Running as Anti-Establishment Candidate

Musk is cool with the EV slashes because he knows Trump is gonna cut his taxes. He needs a few billion more for some reason. Musk let Jesus take the Tesla wheel a long while ago, I don't see him caring about the brand anymore.
I said as much. Only Joes well has dried up.
So now that Biden is.....you, OS, and Kram are back to supporting Trump. That the score here?

Trump is a cash register. Musk knows this. Trump supporters don't.

Can't wait to put together my wagers for the board's Republicans.....and to laugh as not one of you takes my bets. Because you cats know exactly what Trump will do.....you just don't care.

And that's fine. But enough with the claims you guys don't support him.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:32 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:10 pm ~ One could argue, as I've stated before....they want Trump to be president b/c they knew Joe was good for the USA and more critical of Billionaires and huge corporations and Trump will give them what they ask for, just like last time and they know he goes away after this term.....are the playing the long game?

Over 60 Billionaires are Backing Donald Trump for President Who is Running as Anti-Establishment Candidate

Musk is cool with the EV slashes because he knows Trump is gonna cut his taxes. He needs a few billion more for some reason. Musk let Jesus take the Tesla wheel a long while ago, I don't see him caring about the brand anymore.
So now that Biden is.....you, OS, and Kram are back to supporting Trump. That the score here?

Can't wait to put together my wagers for the board's Republicans.....and to laugh as not one of you takes my bets. Because you cats know exactly what Trump will do.....you just don't care.

And they also know what President Harris will. So it boils down to pick your poison and who or what party will inject you with it. So do you want a quick death or do you prefer slow and painful. 8-)
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Your binary logic fails you, once again.

It would be nice for you to admit, for once, that both parties strive to pander to to cash cows on each side....but of course your 'bets' have no way to prove a winner or loser, unless only you are the judge. How about we just bet that we break bread and go 'dutch'. ;)

The Democrats bailed, b/c their cash was running out and big donors decided to send a message.....is that not a clue?
~Livy

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:46 am

Your binary logic fails you, once again.

It would be nice for you to admit, for once, that both parties strive to pander to to cash cows on each side....but of course your 'bets' have no way to prove a winner or loser, unless only you are the judge. How about we just bet that we break bread and go 'dutch'. ;)

The Democrats bailed, b/c their cash was running out and big donors decided to send a message.....is that not a clue?
Deep Throat said it most profoundly...follow the money and that will lead you to the root of all evil. Money talks and bullchit walks as any good poker player knows.
Before I'm corrected here by the nit pickers..Deep throat stopped at follow the money. The next sentence just dovetails nicely. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

Did Pink Floyd nail it or what?
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:46 am Your binary logic fails you, once again.
Nope.

Show me the posts where you guys throw stones at Trump.

I'll wait.

Return to “POLITICS”