The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: 2024

Post by PizzaSnake »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:24 pm
ggait wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:42 pm From my 25 year old daughter:

A miracle. OMG.

Maybe now Sleepy Joe can go take a nap.
Hah! This is the message my 25 year old daughter gave me as well. And my 28 year son. And 24 year old daughter in law. And my neighbor Dave. And my brother in law Frank, and my 31 year old nephew and 29 year old niece.
Now, about that soon-to-be-octogenarian...

My how I pine for the "natural solution" to what ails us. Maybe if we all send him McD's Arch Cards?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:24 pm

A miracle. OMG.

Hah! This is the message my 25 year old daughter gave me as well. And my 28 year son. And 24 year old daughter in law. And my neighbor Dave. And my brother in law Frank, and my 31 year old nephew and 29 year old niece.
Same from my 82 year old friend, my 60 year old friend, my 25 year old daughter, my 15 year old niece, my 45 year old friend and virtually everyone else I have encountered today.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:43 pm

OMG it’s a miracle. Thank god.

Joe probably did not even know he stepped down and his office sent out that letter, until he woke up from his nap :lol:
You can stop lecturing others now - :oops:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters ... er/679182/

"Joe Biden, the president of the United States, has decided not to run for his office in 2024. He joins a small but honorable fraternity of men who, for various reasons, declined to seek reelection. This club was founded by George Washington, whose refusal to stand for the presidency again in 1796 was particularly important, because he was walking away from a virtually guaranteed victory.

Biden, by contrast, was facing the serious prospect of a loss, but his decision is similarly admirable. The president sees Donald Trump as a threat to American democracy, and he must know that he has been trailing Trump for months, even before the debate in June that sealed his fate. Biden tried to recover, but in every public outing, he raised more doubts than he dispelled. Anxious Democrats tried to get the message through to him, in private at first and then in public, that he was losing ground in swing states and that his continued presence in the race could even doom downballot candidates.

Many Democrats at the national level believed that Biden was leading his party to a repeat of 2016, in which Trump would again grind out an Electoral College victory while the Republicans would take the House and Senate. Biden would be defeated, and Trump would control the entire government. This time, there would be none of the supposed adults in the room who guided Trump during his tenure. His next administration would be staffed by bottom-feeding opportunists and cranks. The courts are positioned to support this new era of Trumpism: The conservative majority on the Supreme Court has already invited Trump to rule as a king—or worse.

Faced with what he sees as a nightmare scenario both for his party and his nation, President Biden decided to end his candidacy.

My colleague Franklin Foer (who has written a biography of Biden) noted today that the Biden of the past few weeks was a less than admirable figure: He was a defensive, brittle old man who didn’t want to be told he could no longer lead the party on the field of political battle. Like many Americans, I have had the experience of tussling with an elderly parent who came to understand I was right but needed time to admit it. (My father lived to be 94, and we faced many such issues together.) Biden, I am assuming, has been trying to come to grips with the possibility that he might now be the Democrat least likely to defeat Trump.

I do not know—no one can at this point—whether Biden’s replacement will fare any better in November. (Biden has thrown his support behind his vice president, Kamala Harris, as one would expect. Representative Jim Clyburn endorsed her, and the Democrats seem to be coalescing around her.) But at least the Democrats have a fighting chance now. Biden said recently that he couldn’t wait to get back on the trail against Trump, an attempt at bravado that implied he was about to start barnstorming across the fruited plain. I did not believe he was physically capable of doing that kind of campaigning; I doubt many elected Democrats did either.

Of course, if the nominee is Harris, the Republicans will go into culture-war overdrive. They will say that as a Californian, she is too liberal. They will say that as a former prosecutor, she is too conservative. They will say that she is too female and too Black. (Well, they won’t say those last two out loud, but get ready for a fusillade of dog whistles that will be amped up to the point that they could shatter granite.)

Indeed, the MAGA Republicans are already griping about a Democratic Party “coup,” as if they have serious concerns about democracy in any political party, including their own. But Biden’s decision reflected a determination to put the fate of his country ahead of his personal vanity, a choice Trump is inherently incapable of making.

After today the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans could not be clearer. Biden faces challenges of age that are not going to get any easier. His decision to make way for a younger candidate reaffirmed that his party is not about one man. Trump, meanwhile, continues to bellow gibberish at his rallies, raving like the emotionally unstable, would-be dictator that he is.

Even after Trump insulted America’s veterans and the nation’s war dead, even after he was found liable for sexual abuse, even after he racked up 34 felony convictions, almost no elected officials in his party called for him to leave the ticket. (As usual, Mitt Romney was seated at a table for one.) Yet millions of Americans, sadly, have come to regard Trump’s pestilential character as merely a curious facet of an otherwise normal candidate.

Now that Biden is stepping down, perhaps all the false equivalency can end. Biden is a good man, and he’s been a good and consequential president with a first-term record most of his predecessors would envy. He is capable of serving out his term and should do so. (The calls from Republicans today that he should now resign, coming from opportunistic hypocrites such as Elise Stefanik, are as meaningless as they are predictable.) Trump was a disaster, an incompetent and ignorant president whose selfish decisions, especially about COVID-19, likely cost many thousands of Americans their lives.

Biden’s decision is now also a challenge to every voter in the pro-democracy coalition to live by their words. For two years, many Americans lamented the choice between the aging Biden and the dissolute, unbalanced Trump. Their wish has been granted: They will now likely have a choice between a shouty, 78-year-old habitual liar whose life is a record of shame and failure and a 59-year-old woman who has served honorably as a big-state attorney general, a senator, and the vice president of the United States.

Harris has her critics, and she will bring her own vulnerabilities to a campaign. Every American should assess her record with judicious skepticism, as they would that of any other politician. But in the end, if the vice president is the eventual nominee, she will be a candidate similar to many others throughout American history who can claim a long record of senior-government experience. (Like Trump, for example, she has been given briefs on nuclear-launch procedures. Unlike Trump, she almost certainly understood them.)

Every voter who cares about democracy but has claimed to be paralyzed by the two old men in the race will now have no excuses for indecision. The Democrats have made clear that they intend to field a stable, experienced candidate. The Republicans, a cult of personality in the grip of fevered delusions, will field Trump. Tonight, Americans have the clarity they demanded."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

So VP Candidate Vance would vote for his dog and Hillary over Trump.

Now Trump himself has endorsed Kamala. I mean, political donations are about the most important thing in the world, right guys? If $15 was that important, a whopping $5k (assuming it didn't bounce or came from stolen charity funds) is the biggest message he could send.

Are you gonna believe the Dems, or are you gonna believe Trump & JD on who they like? I'm all in on Trump & JD's picks!

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

David French, Republican, in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/21/opin ... chaos.html

"I watched hour upon hour of the Republican National Convention, something I’ve done every four years since I was a young political nerd in 1984. I was even a Mitt Romney delegate at the Republican convention in 2012, and this was the first that revolved entirely around a fundamentally false premise: that in our troubled time, Donald Trump would be a source of order and stability.

To bolster their case, Republicans misled America. Speaker after speaker repeated the claim that America was safer and the world was more secure when Trump was president. But we can look at Trump’s record and see the truth. America was more dangerous and the world was quite chaotic during Trump’s term. Our enemies were not intimidated by Trump. In fact, Russia improved its strategic position during his time in office.

If past performance is any indicator of future results, Americans should brace themselves for more chaos if Trump wins.

The most egregious example of Republican deception centered around crime. The theme of the second night of the convention was “Make America Safe Again.” Yet the public mustn’t forget that the murder rate skyrocketed under Trump. According to the Pew Research Center, “The year-over-year increase in the U.S. murder rate in 2020 was the largest since at least 1905 — and possibly ever.”

That’s a human catastrophe, and it’s one that occurred on Trump’s watch. Republicans want to erase 2020 from the American mind, but we judge presidents on how they handle crises. Trump shouldn’t escape accountability for the collapse in public safety at the height of the pandemic. And while we can’t blame Trump for the riots that erupted in American cities over the summer of 2020, it’s hard to claim he’s the candidate of calm when he instigated a riot of his own on Jan. 6.

It’s particularly rich for Trump to claim to be the candidate of order when the crime rate rose during his presidency and is plunging during Joe Biden’s. In 2023, there was a record decrease in the murder rate, and violent crime, ABC News reported, “plummeted to one of the lowest levels in 50 years.”

Trump’s argument about foreign policy is also fundamentally deceptive. Throughout the convention, we heard variations of the same theme: Russia didn’t invade any other country under Trump, and Iran was broke and powerless. But again, this is misleading. Far from being frightened and intimidated by Trump, both Russia and Iran directly attacked American troops when he was president.

In 2018, Russian mercenaries and their Syrian allies assaulted an American position in northern Syria, leading to a four-hour battle during which American forces deployed artillery and airstrikes to beat back the attack. In 2020, Iran fired a volley of ballistic missiles at American troops in retaliation for our strike against Qassim Suleimani and injured more than 100 American service members.

In both instances, our forces handled themselves with courage, professionalism and skill, but if Russia and Iran were so frightened of Trump, why did they attack Americans?

Iran was hardly quiet during Trump’s term. In 2019, it launched drones and missiles against Saudi Arabian oil facilities. The United States also claimed that Iran was responsible for sabotaging four oil tankers in May 2019. By that fall, the two countries were on the brink of war.

At the same time, Iran was ramping up its nuclear program. After Trump terminated the Obama-era Iran nuclear deal, Foreign Policy magazine’s Colum Lynch reported that Iran had “resumed its enrichment of uranium, restarted research and development on advanced centrifuges and expanded its stockpile of nuclear fuel, cutting in half the time it would need to produce enough weapons-grade fuel to build a nuclear bomb.”

While Vladimir Putin didn’t invade any new countries while Trump was president, he did secure an important military victory: He achieved a strategic success by helping Syria’s president, Bashar al-Assad, survive the Syrian civil war.

Even worse, Russia advanced at our expense. When Trump ordered a precipitous withdrawal from northern Syria, he not only abandoned our Kurdish allies, he also created an opening for Russia, and it filled the power vacuum immediately. Russians even filmed themselves occupying an abandoned American base.

The Syrian withdrawal caused Trump’s secretary of defense Jim Mattis to resign. His resignation letter made the reason clear. As Mattis wrote, his own “views on treating allies with respect and also being cleareyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues.” Trump’s obvious disrespect for our allies harmed American interests then, and if he wins they’ll harm American interests again.

Even the Trump campaign’s best arguments are undermined by Trump’s own mistakes. The chaos of the American retreat from Afghanistan was indefensible, the lowest moment of Biden’s presidency. And Republicans were right to hammer the Biden administration for its failures. But let’s not pretend for a moment that Trump acted more responsibly. In fact, he tried to withdraw even more quickly than Biden did, and Biden executed the withdrawal agreement that Trump negotiated. Yes, Biden executed the withdrawal badly, but it was a withdrawal that Trump wanted as well.

At the end of Trump’s term, Russia was stronger, Iran was unbowed, and America’s relationship with our key allies was more tenuous. Trump had even threatened to yank the United States out of NATO, our most important alliance, an act that would fulfill one of Putin’s fondest hopes.

No one should minimize the danger of the present moment. War is raging in Ukraine and in Gaza, but America’s enemies are taking catastrophic casualties, thanks in large part to steadfast American support. The Russian Army has suffered staggering losses, and much of its inventory of advanced weaponry has been destroyed. It’s rusting in the Ukrainian countryside.

Hamas’s surprise attack was a prelude to its ruin. Its military formations have been dismantled, even if not completely destroyed. If it can ultimately retain a foothold in Gaza, it will be years before it can rebuild even a small fraction of its prewar strength.

In many ways, the parties have switched roles — it’s the Democrats who are facing down Russian aggression, while it’s Republicans who’ve chosen to do exactly what former U.N. Ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick accused “San Francisco Democrats” of doing during the Cold War — blaming America first. One convention speaker, the tech entrepreneur David Sacks, explicitly claimed that Biden “provoked — yes, provoked — the Russians to invade Ukraine with talk of NATO expansion.”

Trump is hoping to win the presidency in part through appealing to so-called nostalgia voters, and so far it seems to be working. Millions of Americans appear to have forgotten the bad times in Trump’s term or excuse his failures. It will be up to the Democrats to remind Americans of the aspects of the Trump years that they’ve blocked from their minds — a period that began with alarms about war with North Korea, included a war scare with Iran, and ended with Russia advancing as we retreated. It was a term that began with low crime rates and ended with the worst murder spike in generations and the Capitol under siege.

In the television show “Ted Lasso,” the titular character — a folksy American football coach who manages an English professional soccer team — tells his team that goldfish have the shortest memories in the animal kingdom. “Be a goldfish,” he tells them, urging them to forget their mistakes, and play with confidence. While a short memory can be a virtue in sports, it’s a terrible trap for voters. It makes you vulnerable to lies.

Trump wants you to be a goldfish. He wants you to empty your mind of the past so that he can fill it with his own “alternative facts.” The Republican National Convention was one long exercise in creating memories of a Trump term that never existed. The real Trump term was chaotic and dangerous from start to finish, and if Americans’ memories don’t improve soon, the voters who seek peace and stability will instead bring us violence and tears."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:32 pm
ggait wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:16 pm
njbill wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:11 pm Really bad news. Just handed the White House to Trump I fear.
Really good news. For Joe and the country.

Joe was handing Trump the WH by staying in. So at least he dodges that personal legacy albatross.

And now there’s an improved chance. Though still not great.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
I thought we weren’t going to discuss this anymore. That lasted less than 24 hours.

Joe is handing the White House to Trump by pulling out. The cocksucking back stabbers have won.

Now we will never know if Joe could’ve won. But we will know that Harris will lose this election. Mark my words. I have rarely been surer of anything.
How on earth did you get that word through?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Just reading this thread after getting to play golf today with my son...halfay between Philly and DC...

Thoughts...

Seacoaster(1) gets he prize for breaking the news...four thread pages (or so) back...huzzah!

Outside my house in the Philly 'burbs...one can almost actually FEEL the buzz in the air. Political EARTHQUAKE. The InterTubes are crackling with political energy beyond belief...and just one Day One. State Delegates are endorsing Harris, donation lines are swelling and talk is of a sea-change in "states-in-play"

Then i realized..."OH NO! Kamala Harris is Dark Brandon's BORDER CZAR! Responsible for HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of innocent American lives at the hands of insane wetbacks, i mean Mexicans, i mean ILLEGAL ALIENS! [Wait, that last one's just another incoherent Blob lie].

TLD, i agree that, after the bump Jim Clyburn gave Joe, that somehow sidelining his VP pick as the nominee would be a VERY heavy lift for the party in general. Sectors of the minority voting block in the Dem coalition would have been very unhappy. Very heavy lift, but in the dark, confusing last couple weeks...one that HAD to at least be discussed...no?

That distraction is behind us now i think, less than 24 hours after "The Announcement That Shook the Political World"

Joe can look that fat, wifty moron in the eye now and say, honestly "I BEAT YOU AGAIN. YEAH, ME, Donald! Simply by making the most selfless, most unifying decision of my life. You're a TWO TIME LOSER, DONALD!"

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:37 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:29 pm
njbill wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:11 pm Really bad news. Just handed the White House to Trump I fear.

Joe was handing Trump the WH by staying in. So at least he dodges that personal legacy albatross.

Just spoke at length with my daughter, and she is with ggait. Believes it will completely energize a moribund campaign.
Sure, it will be a shot in the arm through the convention and maybe for a couple of weeks after that. Her numbers will go up in the short term. But I think they will fade as we get to election day.

She cannot win Pennsylvania. Don’t know about the other swing states. But without all of the blue wall states, a Dem cannot win.

I am sick about this. Just sick.
She may grab Shapiro as VP
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:06 pm How on earth did you get that word through?
Wondered that myself! :lol: :lol: :lol: Admin is as thunderstruck as the rest of us! Quick, somebody copy those posts for posterity! :D

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:10 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:05 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:20 pm Part of me believe the DNC wanted to pick their candidate after the primary all along. Tye push ramps up after the primary (this is the phase we are in now), Joe then removes himself as the 2024 candidate before the DNC, they vote in their new candidate just before of during the convention, that way Joe and Kamala are bounced at the same time. The excitement is back with vengeance, puts Trump into a 180 counter-punch figuring out how to tackle the new candidates.

I think that would be in the best interest of the country.
I spoke to Joe and the DNC recently. ;)
So....now the Dems have the high ground, Youth. They got rid of their guy because he was unfit for office.

Your turn now....when is your team going to get rid of Trump? (crickets)
Well 2 inches to the right and the trump problem would have been solved.
Proving Republicans aren’t as good of shots as they think they are…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:12 pm Frankly, I do not know why minority voters traditionally vote for democratic candidates in great numbers. It was reported by NBC news when this story broke that black voters, especially black women would not be pleased if Kamala was passed over. Georgia and Pennsylvania are the 2 biggest swing states and the democrats can ill afford to lose Georgia, especially with it's large minority population.
So you trust nbc news reporting on the mindset of black folks in Georgia?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:06 pm

I thought we weren’t going to discuss this anymore. That lasted less than 24 hours.

Joe is handing the White House to Trump by pulling out. The cocksucking back stabbers have won.

Now we will never know if Joe could’ve won. But we will know that Harris will lose this election. Mark my words. I have rarely been surer of anything.
I don’t know. I was on a righteous rant as I was dictating it, fully expecting the filter to change it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:43 pm

OMG it’s a miracle. Thank god.

Joe probably did not even know he stepped down and his office sent out that letter, until he woke up from his nap :lol:
Connect the dots

https://youtu.be/hoA7IsQjjn8?si=Pa5bQizYU741mrx2
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

njbill wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:06 pm

I don’t know. I was on a righteous rant as I was dictating it, fully expecting the filter to change it.
Maybe Elon bought fanlax when no one was watching.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:20 pm
njbill wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:37 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:29 pm

Just spoke at length with my daughter, and she is with ggait. Believes it will completely energize a moribund campaign.
Sure, it will be a shot in the arm through the convention and maybe for a couple of weeks after that. Her numbers will go up in the short term. But I think they will fade as we get to election day.

She cannot win Pennsylvania. Don’t know about the other swing states. But without all of the blue wall states, a Dem cannot win.

I am sick about this. Just sick.
She may grab Shapiro as VP
She might. I think that would be a mistake. His stance on Israel would be problematic in Michigan I believe.

I would prefer Kelly.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cocksucker goes through but big ballzz get changed to "serious courage". Makes sense.
Big Nuts'll work though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just write Deez and most folks will understand
ggait

Post by ggait »

Biden finally quit when his two top guys presented new swing state polls that showed Biden no longer had any chance to win:

The two men, both of whom had been by Biden’s side during key decisions about whether to seek the presidency in 2016 and 2020, sat at a distance from the president, still testing positive for Covid, and presented damning new information in a meeting that would hasten the end of Biden’s political career.

They carried the campaign’s own polls, which came back this week and showed his path to victory in November was gone.

It wasn’t that the president had grown tired of the drip of defections from within his own party — although he had. Rather, it was that Biden himself was finally convinced of what so many other Democrats had come to believe since his poor debate performance last month: He couldn’t win.

When the campaign commissioned new battleground polling over the last week, it was the first time they had done surveys in some key states in more than two months, according to two people familiar with the surveys. And the numbers were grim, showing Biden not just trailing in all six critical swing states but collapsing in places like Virginia and New Mexico where Democrats had not planned on needing to spend massive resources to win.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/2 ... t-00170106

Kamala might not win and she will certainly be an underdog. But even Joe's guys knew Joe wasn't going to win either.
Last edited by ggait on Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”