Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:17 am The comparison was to other ethnic immigrant groups. e.g. :

There is no Indian lobby pushing for increased “representation” in this or that economic or political sector, no pressure group ululating for ethnic enclaves, or for information to be provided in a language other than English. You won’t be told, when you call your bank, to “press 2 for Telugu.” You won’t have Indian parents at American public schools clamoring for special dispensations for their children. There is, instead, a quiet determination among Indian-Americans to take full advantage of being in a land that gives them a range of opportunities unavailable in their country of ancestral origin.
Right, and I told you why.

You were the beneficiary of DEI, so I don’t know why you complain about this stuff.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:00 am
old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:17 am The comparison was to other ethnic immigrant groups. e.g. :

There is no Indian lobby pushing for increased “representation” in this or that economic or political sector, no pressure group ululating for ethnic enclaves, or for information to be provided in a language other than English. You won’t be told, when you call your bank, to “press 2 for Telugu.” You won’t have Indian parents at American public schools clamoring for special dispensations for their children. There is, instead, a quiet determination among Indian-Americans to take full advantage of being in a land that gives them a range of opportunities unavailable in their country of ancestral origin.

You were the beneficiary of DEI, so I don’t know why you complain about this stuff.
I actually saw an Indian coupled denied housing right in front of me. My wife and I were looking to rent an apartment in Edison NJ….we were next in the lobby and heard the rental agent tell the couple… “we don’t have any vacancies..we can take your name and get back to you when something is available”…they left. We were next…we said “we are interested in an apartment but we just heard you don’t have any vacancies”….she said, “oh, we have apartments available. I am just not renting to those people. They bring bugs and their religion won’t let them kill anything and I don’t want them to bring roaches here”…. I have mentioned this before and a former poster argued that this isn’t necessarily racism…. Other friends had to move from Nebraska back east because they were threatened and didn’t feel safe after 9-11. Sikhs. Old Salt wants people to sit back and take it up the anus while he and people like him face no real societal impediments.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Not a complaint, a favorable observation of Indian Americans.

I don't know what you've told me about this, but you've schooled me on so many things, it's difficult to sift this one out.

Based on YOUR logic, Indian-American immigrants were fortunate to have emigrated from a nation which was once a part of the British Empire (as was the US). My German ancestors had to learn a new language when they arrived. My British ancestors did not.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:15 am Old Salt wants people to sit back and take it up the anus while he and people like him face no real societal impediments.
I'll be sure to pass that along to my niece who is engaged to a wonderful Indian-American young man.
His family has welcomed her as a daughter & a sister. She works in their very successful family business.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:30 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:15 am Old Salt wants people to sit back and take it up the anus while he and people like him face no real societal impediments.
I'll be sure to pass that along to my niece who is engaged to a wonderful Indian-American young man.
His family has welcomed her as a daughter & a sister. She works in their very successful family business.
I betcha Mr TLD has a funny comedy clip to address that.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:25 am

I don't know what you've told me about this, but you've schooled me on so many things, it's difficult to sift this one out.
Right. And naturally, you've never schooled me, or lectured me, or anyone here about anything. How many times have you called me naive, or called my posts----incorrectly, I might add-----as binary thinking, with no nuance?

And you know, this fake rudeness is getting tiring. Aren't you tired of it?
old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:25 am Based on YOUR logic, Indian-American immigrants were fortunate to have emigrated from a nation which was once a part of the British Empire (as was the US). My German ancestors had to learn a new language when they arrived. My British ancestors did not.
I didn't say one word about the British Empire or language.

But since you're playing dumb here: were the Indians hit with firehoses in Alabama? Or hung from a tree for "using the wrong bathroom". Or kept from schools, jobs, and power?

No, right? And you and the OpEd author are pretending that they don't know that. That sh(t happened in YOUR lifetime, and my father's lifetime. You and your fellow DEI nuts DESPERATELY want to act like this stuff happened 1000 years ago.

Next time us white guys are in charge? We shouldn't separate people by race, sexual orientation, or gender. Then we won't have to worry about folks showing up to fix our mistakes. And yep, they haven't been perfect in fixing our mistakes. So what? Were we perfect when we were running everything?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:39 am

Right. And naturally, you've never schooled me, or lectured me, or anyone here about anything. How many times have you called me naive, or called my posts----incorrectly, I might add-----as binary thinking, with no nuance?

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:25 am Based on YOUR logic, Indian-American immigrants were fortunate to have emigrated from a nation which was once a part of the British Empire (as was the US). My German ancestors had to learn a new language when they arrived. My British ancestors did not.

But since you're playing dumb here: were the Indians hit with firehoses in Alabama? Or hung from a tree for "using the wrong bathroom". Or kept from schools, jobs, and power?

No, right? And you and the OpEd author are pretending that they don't know that. That sh(t happened in YOUR lifetime, and my father's lifetime. You and your fellow DEI nuts DESPERATELY want to act like this stuff happened 1000 years ago.

Next time us white guys are in charge? We shouldn't separate people by race, sexual orientation, or gender. Then we won't have to worry about folks showing up to fix our mistakes. And yep, they haven't been perfect in fixing our mistakes. So what? Were we perfect when we were running everything?
No, you made some inane remark about DEI, which has nothing to do with what I posted.

You're apparently interested in establishing some hierarchy of victimhood. Knock yourself out -- look into what the people of Indian subcontinent endured as part of the British Empire. I'm not playing along.

The "white guys" dividing us by race have a (D) behind their name, & they're not shy about bragging about it as their political strategy.
What's the (R) representation in the variuos Congressional (fill in the blank ethnic) Caucuses ?
Typical Lax Dad

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:51 am
...& they live in a very "nice neighborhood", but then they're in TX.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:54 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:51 am
...& they live in a very "nice neighborhood", but then they're in TX.
My nephew’s daughter was here this week visiting Yale and Princeton. They live in Frisco, Texas. Could be neighbors.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:50 am

No, you made some inane remark about DEI, which has nothing to do with what I posted.

You're apparently interested in establishing some hierarchy of victimhood. Knock yourself out -- look into what the people of Indian subcontinent endured as part of the British Empire. I'm not playing along.

The "white guys" dividing us by race have a (D) behind their name, & they're not shy about bragging about it as their political strategy.
What's the (R) representation in the variuos Congressional (fill in the blank ethnic) Caucuses ?
It wasn’t inane: did you have to compete against all of America, or just SOME of America to get your spot at that elite school of yours? More than half of America wasn’t even allowed to apply, OS. Openly gay couldn’t apply, either.

So the key economic event that has set you on the path to being a millionaire was set by gender and sexuality rules.

And you didn’t even notice. You take it for granted, and then lose your mind when you think you’re on the losing side of sorting by gender and race.

You were the beneficiary of sorting by gender and race….you didn’t have to compete against my mom and millions of other women for your spot. Women who worked just as hard as you did…..but were banned from so much as applying for entrance.

Now the shoe is on the other foot…..and you’re mad about it.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:09 am

It wasn’t inane: did you have to compete against all of America, or just SOME of America to get your spot at that elite school of yours? More than half of America wasn’t even allowed to apply, OS. Openly gay couldn’t apply, either.

So the key economic event that has set you on the path to being a millionaire was set by gender and sexuality rules.

And you didn’t even notice. You take it for granted, and then lose your mind when you think you’re on the losing side of sorting by gender and race.

You were the beneficiary of sorting by gender and race….you didn’t have to compete against my mom and millions of other women for your spot. Women who worked just as hard as you did…..but were banned from so much as applying for entrance.

Also admittedly to be mad because Illumina jumped the gun on an acquisition that was denied. I don’t know which has upset him more.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:50 am I posted.

No, I’m not interested in establishing anything. But I’m a white guy, and i understand that racism still exists in America, and understand why some folks think there should be some measures taken to correct for this.

I have no standing to complain about it, is all.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:22 am

No, I’m not interested in establishing anything. But I’m a white guy, and i understand that racism still exists in America, and understand why some folks think there should be some measures taken to correct for this.

Says the man that believes the DEI jihadist at the FTC was out to get him and people like him.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/21/asia/ban ... index.html

:lol: :lol: the quotas are designed to keep all the good jobs :lol:
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:30 am

Says the man that believes the DEI jihadist at the FTC was out to get him and people like him.
I don't think it was personal. Just misguided, counter-productive & self-serving.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:09 am

Yeah, I really enjoyed being locked down for 4 years in an all male juvenile detention facility. Tell me again what a great deal it was.

I'm not mad at all. But that's ok, because you're mad enough for both of us.
My post which started your pissing contest was in praise of the Indian-American community.

The key event that set me on the way to financial security was marrying a woman who already had a job, a Masters Degree, a paid off car. a condo, & a shrewd financial sense, ...or maybe it was my Corvette being stolen, ending my bachelorhood.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:30 am

I don't think it was personal. Just misguided, counter-productive & self-serving.
Why were you whining so much then?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:54 pm Yeah, I really enjoyed being locked down for 4 years in an all male juvenile detention facility. Tell me again what a great deal it was.
Great. If it's such a bad deal....ban men from attending. Problem solved.

I give you a direct example of sorting by race and gender, and you come on here and act like that didn't count, and change the subject to how hard the school was. As if that has anything to do with anything.

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:25 am I'm not mad at all. But that's ok, because you're mad enough for both of us.
My post which started your pissing contest was in praise of the Indian-American community.
Yeah. So pretend like you don't know that new Indian-Americans didn't have deal with segregation like Black Americans did, or get fired for "being Indian" like the gay community did. They were welcome to take jobs and attend schools that were out of reach for other groups....and most of them arrived AFTER some Civil Rights were acquired in Federal Court.

And I'm not FOR any of this stuff. But It's not all that hard to understand WHY some folks want to ensure that we're not screwing Americans out of opportunities because of (fill in the blank).
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:59 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:54 pm Yeah, I really enjoyed being locked down for 4 years in an all male juvenile detention facility. Tell me again what a great deal it was.
Great. If it's such a bad deal....ban men from attending. Problem solved.

I give you a direct example of sorting by race and gender, and you come on here and act like that didn't count, and change the subject to how hard the school was. As if that has anything to do with anything.

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:25 am I'm not mad at all. But that's ok, because you're mad enough for both of us.
Yeah. So pretend like you don't know that new Indian-Americans didn't have deal with segregation like Black Americans did, or get fired for "being Indian" like the gay community did. They were welcome to take jobs and attend schools that were out of reach for other groups....and most of them arrived AFTER some Civil Rights were acquired in Federal Court.

And I'm not FOR any of this stuff. But It's not all that hard to understand WHY some folks want to ensure that we're not screwing Americans out of opportunities because of (fill in the blank).
Some Americans don’t deserve to have the same rights as other Americans.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”