Navy 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2025

Post by old salt »

Who will be stepping up to replace the departing Sr's who haven't seen enough significant playing time yet to project them as a regular ?
Plenty of game experienced returnees if the pieces fit together.

How to structure the offensive lineup with so many lefties ? Are any RH Attackmen ready to step in as the Righty wing<=>X, if RH 14 Ash is on the crease ? Who works X, if RH Ash is on the crease & LH's 10 Tolker & 9 Haley are out front or on the wing ? Who will succeed 24 Arline & 2 Hovivian as the primary feeders from X ? Will 9 Haley stay at MF or shift back to A ?

At close defense, who will replace 8 Bonitz & 33 LiCalzi ? Will two from LSM's 11 Marsh, 37 Gallagher, 59 Darrow, 31 Kittelberger join 41 McGullum ?

Which entering plebes & returnees not named above are most likely to step up ?
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:30 pm Who will be stepping up to replace the departing Sr's who haven't seen enough significant playing time yet to project them as a regular ?

How to structure the offensive lineup with so many lefties ? Are any RH Attackmen ready to step in as the Righty wing<=>X, if RH 14 Ash is on the crease ? Who works X, if RH Ash is on the crease & LH's 10 Tolker & 9 Haley are out front or on the wing ? Who will succeed 24 Arline & 2 Hovivian as the primary feeders from X ? Will 9 Haley stay at MF or shift back to A ?

At close defense, who will replace 8 Bonitz & 33 LiCalzi ? Will two from LSM's 11 Marsh, 37 Gallagher, 59 Darrow, 31 Kittelberger join 41 McGullum ?

Lots of questions!
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Abr2016 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:26 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:30 pm Who will be stepping up to replace the departing Sr's who haven't seen enough significant playing time yet to project them as a regular ?

Lots of questions!
Just don’t hope Navy has become pay to play team.
laxdadj

Post by laxdadj »

"Pay to Play team"? Meaning????
lorin

Post by lorin »

laxdadj wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:40 pm "Pay to Play team"? Meaning????
You know what he means.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:46 am
You know what he means.
I think it needs a bit more context. I know of someone dropping cash and barely sees the field.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Assuming Amplo doesn't make it a whole lot longer, would anyone's top two choices for the next coach be John Tillman and Ryan Wellner?

Post by 1766 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:39 am
You know what he means.
I think it needs a bit more context. I know of someone dropping cash and barely sees the field.
Isn't everyone at an academy on scholarship or whatever the term the military uses for taxpayers funding tuition, etc.? Athletes and non athletes alike?
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:34 pm Assuming Amplo doesn't make it a whole lot longer, would anyone's top two choices for the next coach be John Tillman and Ryan Wellner?
0 shot JT leaves. Wellner a hard maybe. Coaching at academies is a tough task. Even tougher with NIL money at other top programs. Takes a very specific type of kid
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

1766 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:42 pm
You know what he means.
Isn't everyone at an academy on scholarship or whatever the term the military uses for taxpayers funding tuition, etc.? Athletes and non athletes alike?
Yes, at least it was in the 60's when I was at Navy. And the midshipmen also get a salary. At that time it was one half an Ensign's pay per month. At that time a boot Ensign's pay was $222.30/month, so us Mids got all of #111.15 a month. From that came school supplies and uniform costs....
I have no idea how the financial situation is now but, of course, an Ensign's pay has gone up significantly...

Post by 1766 »

NoLeft wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:21 pm
You know what he means.
Yes, at least it was in the 60's when I was at Navy. And the midshipmen also get a salary. At that time it was one half an Ensign's pay per month. At that time a boot Ensign's pay was $222.30/month, so us Mids got all of #111.15 a month. From that came school supplies and uniform costs....
I have no idea how the financial situation is now but, of course, an Ensign's pay has gone up significantly...
Thank you for the intel. I can't speak to the pay but I am quite certain there are no costs for anyone at an academy, unless something has changed in the last few years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

1766 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:34 pm
NoLeft wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:21 pm
You know what he means.
Thank you for the intel. I can't speak to the pay but I am quite certain there are no costs for anyone at an academy, unless something has changed in the last few years.
True, MIDS do receive pay, and they also have their pay deducted for many obligations and services they receive as part of their obligation for attending.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
stevemc

Post by stevemc »

Curious how difficult it is for any players at the service academies to enter the portal and actually transfer? I see some have moved and wondering if after more than "X" years, having been given a free education and paid a stipend, are there repercussions/repayment required?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

stevemc wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:32 am Curious how difficult it is for any players at the service academies to enter the portal and actually transfer? I see some have moved and wondering if after more than "X" years, having been given a free education and paid a stipend, are there repercussions/repayment required?
My understanding is yes they have to repay. In recent one recent case a player got NIL $$ to pay the cost.
old salt

Post by old salt »

You can leave USNA after 2 years with no payback required. No Mids receive NIL $.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:46 am You can leave USNA after 2 years with no payback required. No Mids receive NIL $.
Yes, if you leave before junior (aka “second class”) year there’s no monetary payback. However, it’s not technically a “first two years are free” policy although it works out that way if you leave before junior year — if you decide to leave in September of your junior year, you’ll owe the government for the cost of education of your first two years.

Re: NIL, I am guessing the prior poster meant that a service academy player who left at a time when he incurred the payback obligation received some NIL money from the destination school which he was able to use to defray his repayment obligation.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:11 pm
Re: NIL, I am guessing the prior poster meant that a service academy player who left at a time when he incurred the payback obligation received some NIL money from the destination school which he was able to use to defray his repayment obligation.
Correct
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:14 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:34 pm Assuming Amplo doesn't make it a whole lot longer, would anyone's top two choices for the next coach be John Tillman and Ryan Wellner?
0 shot JT leaves. Wellner a hard maybe. Coaching at academies is a tough task. Even tougher with NIL money at other top programs. Takes a very specific type of kid
Sign me up for either one! Bring 1 of them "home". But I would agree, Tillman has a great situation and one would argue Wellner maybe the next in line at ND and will wait it out. We may have missed our window on both.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Laxinmay wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:25 pm
I agree Navy may have missed the window on Wellner as a future hire although there’s always the hope he has an affection for Annapolis and the special type of kid who plays USNA lacrosse. (Although, having met a number of the Notre Dame players briefly at this year’s Tewaaraton ceremony I found them quite impressive as well although the willingness to accept a commission to serve your country sets the SA guys apart for me.)

I am not sure there really ever was a window for Tillman; he was so loyal to Coach Meade that I think the only way he would have taken the job was if RM had stepped down while Tillman was still at Navy or while he was at Harvard. RM wanted to keep coaching, so I just don’t see a world where Navy could have gotten Tillman.

Sign me up for either one! Bring 1 of them "home". But I would agree, Tillman has a great situation and one would argue Wellner maybe the next in line at ND and will wait it out. We may have missed our window on both.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Laxinmay wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:25 pm
I agree Navy may have missed the window on Wellner as a future hire although there’s always the hope he has an affection for Annapolis and the special type of kid who plays USNA lacrosse. (Although, having met a number of the Notre Dame players briefly at this year’s Tewaaraton ceremony I found them quite impressive as well although the willingness to accept a commission to serve your country sets the service academy athletes apart for me.)

I am not sure there really ever was a window for Tillman; he was so loyal to Coach Meade that I think the only way he would have taken the job was if RM had truly voluntarily stepped away from Division I head coaching while Tillman was still at Navy or while he was at Harvard. RM wanted to keep coaching, and Tillman would not take the job to replace a pushed out RM, so I just don’t see a world where Navy could have gotten Tillman.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”