Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:47 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:59 am Xanders says crawley has his first transfer-a kid from army with a few years remaining. I could see crawley going to hpu being a good thing for some kids at Hopkins that PM didn't believe had a future at the school and were looking for a place where they had some familiarity. I have sincere doubts a kid with a future at Hopkins lacrosse would transfer to hpu.
You're the only person on the planet who cares or is even thinking about this
Yes because people looking for changes in careers never follow people they've previously had a connection with. Also there's now 60 kids on a team where only 20-25 get regular playing time and 10-15 of the jobs are already spoken for so yeah there's a chance that kids 60-40 on the roster might be wondering in a few months if they'd rather spend the rest of their college careers watching other kids play lacrosse or going somewhere warmer with easier academics, much better looking girls and a chance to play big minutes.
You're proving my point by continuing to drone on and on about something that no one is engaging with you on
hey, we could be talking about GPA's... ;) :D
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:47 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:59 am Xanders says crawley has his first transfer-a kid from army with a few years remaining. I could see crawley going to hpu being a good thing for some kids at Hopkins that PM didn't believe had a future at the school and were looking for a place where they had some familiarity. I have sincere doubts a kid with a future at Hopkins lacrosse would transfer to hpu.
You're the only person on the planet who cares or is even thinking about this
Yes because people looking for changes in careers never follow people they've previously had a connection with. Also there's now 60 kids on a team where only 20-25 get regular playing time and 10-15 of the jobs are already spoken for so yeah there's a chance that kids 60-40 on the roster might be wondering in a few months if they'd rather spend the rest of their college careers watching other kids play lacrosse or going somewhere warmer with easier academics, much better looking girls and a chance to play big minutes.
You're proving my point by continuing to drone on and on about something that no one is engaging with you on
Did Owen Murphy end up with Benson at Maryland? Did the Pietramala twins end up at UNC. Did Ierlan end up with his former coach PM at Hopkins? Has PM admitted that some of the transfers/flips were kids he wanted when he was recruiting?

Makes you think.

Roster size is a 51 thing, but in the Petro years we used to see 2-3 games a year where pretty much everyone would play in a Manhattan/UMBC/St Marys College etc game. Those teams aren't on the schedule anymore, Hopkins hasn't had too many of those wins and we're coming off years of veteran laden rosters to the point where some kids who've waited their turns for years are going to find out this fall someone else has their job now and they may want a change of scenery. Or new kids are going to see a kid with 3-4 years of eligibility win a job they wanted and likewise be looking for a new home.

My bet we see 3-5 kids minimum leave for Crawley the next few years. Probably not top 100 kids.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:55 pm Did Owen Murphy end up with Benson at Maryland? Did the Pietramala twins end up at UNC. Did Ierlan end up with his former coach PM at Hopkins? Has PM admitted that some of the transfers/flips were kids he wanted when he was recruiting?

Makes you think.

Roster size is a 51 thing, but in the Petro years we used to see 2-3 games a year where pretty much everyone would play in a Manhattan/UMBC/St Marys College etc game. Those teams aren't on the schedule anymore, Hopkins hasn't had too many of those wins and we're coming off years of veteran laden rosters to the point where some kids who've waited their turns for years are going to find out this fall someone else has their job now and they may want a change of scenery. Or new kids are going to see a kid with 3-4 years of eligibility win a job they wanted and likewise be looking for a new home.

My bet we see 3-5 kids minimum leave for Crawley the next few years. Probably not top 100 kids.
This is nonsense. What does Murphy ending up at Maryland (now leaving Maryland) have to do with Crawley - ? Lacrosse Bucket reported Murphy chose Maryland in June of 2021 - Benson was an interim coach until later in the summer of 2021. Same with the twins? The twins committed to UNC WAY before Petro got there. The twins never changed their initial commitment. IN fact - you could probably argue UNC got Pops because of the kids (in that David wanted to spend time with his sons) not the other way around. And you continue to ignore the two most important factors related to this specific issue - Johns Hopkins is a completely different school than High Point AND any of the offensive Hopkins players that currently are lacking in playing time and might want to leave - are lacking in playing time BECAUSE due in large part to John Crawley. It's perfectly reasonable to suggest a large roster size can lead to some transfers - transferring to High Point at this point makes little sense. I noticed Marquis is not at High Point.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Not even worth the words, 51. "3-5 kids minimum" are going to transfer to High Point? I mean, all you can really do is laugh.

This is not news but Bauer is officially back, per team's Instagram. As the most veteran returning contributor on the offensive end, wouldn't be surprised if he's voted a captain.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

The ignore function has never been more useful
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:22 pm Not even worth the words, 51. "3-5 kids minimum" are going to transfer to High Point? I mean, all you can really do is laugh.

This is not news but Bauer is officially back, per team's Instagram. As the most veteran returning contributor on the offensive end, wouldn't be surprised if he's voted a captain.
High floor very low ceiling. As opposed to Melendez who has a low floor and high ceiling.

No one has any idea what kind of offense PM is going to run next year or if Kelly has any experience to make it all work. Fallball will be fascinating. You have players from Benson/Grant Jr/Crawley and now Kelly.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:22 pm Not even worth the words, 51. "3-5 kids minimum" are going to transfer to High Point? I mean, all you can really do is laugh.
For what its worth,

Crawley must be working ‘round the clock

Torpey left him a roster FUBAR
over 70 man roster as of May.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’ve watched a few kids over the years make a lacrosse decision without contemplating the academic implications but to think the Jays will lose 3-5 kids to HPU is not based in reality.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

So, now that the Blue Jays can offer up to 48 full scholarship equivalents, questions are:

(1) When can Hopkins ramp up to 48 scholarships?

(2) Is this why Bloomberg was enticed to visit the athletic facilities?

(3) How will this impact the Blue Jays’ competitiveness for a national championship?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Going forward, I see this as an ACC/Big competition. Schools in smaller leagues likely won't have the backers. Ivies already losing hold due to NIL in other sports. time will tell.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/coll ... 594798.php

This was shocking to me. 7 figures for a non-profitable sport:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeSoftbal ... ven_after/
a fan

Post by a fan »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:25 pm Going forward, I see this as an ACC/Big competition. Schools in smaller leagues likely won't have the backers. Ivies already losing hold due to NIL in other sports. time will tell.
Depends on how it all shakes out. Ivy schools certainly have the endowments to offer full rides for all student athletes. The only thing stopping them from doing that is the Ivy League itself.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

a fan wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:08 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:25 pm Going forward, I see this as an ACC/Big competition. Schools in smaller leagues likely won't have the backers. Ivies already losing hold due to NIL in other sports. time will tell.
Depends on how it all shakes out. Ivy schools certainly have the endowments to offer full rides for all student athletes. The only thing stopping them from doing that is the Ivy League itself.
Yes, it's been a long standing policy and I don't see them swaying from this. The other consideration is they will need to fundraise to sponsor more full scholarships. Endowment funds are often strictly restricted unfortunately. Athletic scholarships would be difficult as a use case. Stanford was sort of able to self-fund a number of sports when they were thinking of cutting back in the day from alumni, but it wasn't easy. https://news.stanford.edu/stories/2020/07/athletics-faq
a fan

Post by a fan »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:57 pm
Yes, it's been a long standing policy and I don't see them swaying from this. The other consideration is they will need to fundraise to sponsor more full scholarships. Endowment funds are often strictly restricted unfortunately. Athletic scholarships would be difficult as a use case. Stanford was sort of able to self-fund a number of sports when they were thinking of cutting back in the day from alumni, but it wasn't easy. https://news.stanford.edu/stories/2020/07/athletics-faq
I would agree without reservation....but college sports are about to make a tectonic change. If they feel they have to do something in order to compete, this may (may) change their views.

You're right about endowment restrictions...thanks, I needed a reminder of that fact.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:45 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:57 pm
I would agree without reservation....but college sports are about to make a tectonic change. If they feel they have to do something in order to compete, this may (may) change their views.

You're right about endowment restrictions...thanks, I needed a reminder of that fact.
The arms race is on.

I don’t think any lacrosse program is going to offer 48 full scholarships anytime soon. But I’m sure programs are already racing towards 15 full scholarships. Will be interesting to see who gets there first. Then comes the race to 20, then 25, and so on.

I feel bad for programs like Hobart, who were on their way to “full funding” at 12.6.

The goal posts just got moved.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

In addition to restrictions, the amount of endowment required will be a huge sum. Generally require roughly 20x the funds needed annually to fund scholarships through an endowment, assuming a 5% to 7% annual return on invested funds.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51 has crushed the roster sizes for years. Big day for him. I think the 07 class of schwartzman et al had 9 or 10 members total in it.

Lot of questions
-when does this start
-are current kids on the roster/recruits grandfathered in
-does this actually change anything for Hopkins because of the bloomberg donation which covers need
-does this weaken schools like hopkins/syracuse because those last 10 or so guys on the bench are now going to other schools
-will this improve the competitiveness of lacrosse because all those kids at the ends of acc/big ten benches will now be playing for other schools
-is the walkon concept dead
-Is NIL going to get major $$$$ boost because schools have more limited roster options now and need to focus more on high end talent or does NIL get crushed because the program would rather have the $ going to scholarships?
-do other sports get cut to pay for this
-Oregon took off because of the phil knight/nike relationship, yale has benefited from Tsai. Given the need to increase their competitiveness now do big donors emerge for programs helping them close the gap with gifts.
-Does fundraising become a much much more important part of what programs look for in coaches and staffs and how much time now has to go into dialing for dollars.
-how does this change roster compositions
-does hopkins d3/d1 hybrid affect it differently than rivals
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:29 pm
In addition to restrictions, the amount of endowment required will be a huge sum. Generally require roughly 20x the funds needed annually to fund scholarships through an endowment, assuming a 5% to 7% annual return on invested funds.

DocBarrister
Maybe this is a dumb question, but are scholarships actually "funded"? I mean the marginal cost of one additional student (room and board excepted, which themselves probably have a greater than 50% margin baked in) is basically zero, so why do we think there is some source of funds (i.e. endowment) actually paying the "tuition"?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Boyle elevated to interim HC at Drexel.

That's 2 young blue jays getting d1 jobs this year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:39 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:29 pm

DocBarrister
Maybe this is a dumb question, but are scholarships actually "funded"? I mean the marginal cost of one additional student (room and board excepted, which themselves probably have a greater than 50% margin baked in) is basically zero, so why do we think there is some source of funds (i.e. endowment) actually paying the "tuition"?
It’s a good question.

Bloomberg gave a lot of money for financial aid. I can’t imagine that money is for nothing.

I do believe tuition money means something, even at schools like Hopkins. Even Hopkins cannot give out “scholarships” without real money backing them up. I think the costs associated with each student are much more than one expects.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:04 pm 51 has crushed the roster sizes for years. Big day for him. I think the 07 class of schwartzman et al had 9 or 10 members total in it.
Not a big day - Don't pretend to understand alot of it and I have to believe more litigation is to follow. The first kid told by Corrigan/Lars/Tillman/Pete etc. there's no room at the inn because of the roster limits may very well have parents that can stroke the check for college and are attorneys or know quite a few.

FInd it interesting - and I understand of course it is not a lacrosse specific issue - but none of the lacrosse sites are covering this yet. Don't see anything on IL/US Lax Magazine/Lacrosse Bucket etc.[

quote=nyjay post_id=572717 time=1722217196 user_id=1207]
[/quote]
I would think there has to be ny - otherwise if you could just nod you head and put forth "Wink Wink Say No More" the amount of abuse (in football) would have been rampant. I seem to recall - at the end of Petro's term when Hopkins was penalized for some minor financial aid violations - the major one was around timing and decisions of renewing schalarships but there was also this - what seemed silly at the time - "Additionally, a clerical error led to both programs exceeding the maximum team scholarship limits by a slight amount." This was tied to some figures about what was spent for textbooks IIRC. So it seems there is some accounting of funds out - so logical to think they need to see funds in.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”