media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: media matters

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:09 am Sick bastidz at MSNBC: https://x.com/BonillaJL/status/1813792058231984415
Wait a sec, are you saying that his comments don't reveal his perspective on "history", how he sees the world?

I didn't see/hear the speech, so I may be wrong (and frequently am), but sure sounds like he's claiming a particular history is of most importance and is universal in America...is it?

Can we not see it through different eyes?

What makes that "sick"?

Frankly, I think JD Vance is an opportunistic POS, with no actual core principles other than what he thinks advances his personal interests, so I'm not on auto-reject of criticism of him...but I understand how someone might see differently.

For instance I think Sarah Huckabee Sanders is a dangerous person, but she gave a heck of a speech. I get why some would embrace that as actually reflective of some goodness on her part they see themselves be part of.
...talk about missing the point. What gives Alex Wagner the standing to criticize Vance over where he & his wife choose to be buried. She just assumes that Vance made the decision alone, which is an absurd assumption, given what they both said about their marriage.

Opportunistic POS with no core principles ? :lol: Millions of your fellow citizens profoundly disagree with you.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:09 am Sick bastidz at MSNBC: https://x.com/BonillaJL/status/1813792058231984415
Wait a sec, are you saying that his comments don't reveal his perspective on "history", how he sees the world?

I didn't see/hear the speech, so I may be wrong (and frequently am), but sure sounds like he's claiming a particular history is of most importance and is universal in America...is it?

What makes that "sick"?

Frankly, I think JD Vance is an opportunistic POS, with no actual core principles other than what he thinks advances his personal interests, so I'm not on auto-reject of criticism of him...but I understand how someone might see differently.

For instance I think Sarah Huckabee Sanders is a dangerous person, but she gave a heck of a speech. I get why some would embrace that as actually reflective of some goodness on her part they see themselves be part of.
...talk about missing the point. What gives Alex Wagner the standing to criticize Vance over where he & his wife choose to be buried. She just assumes that Vance made the decision alone, which is an absurd assumption, given what they both said about their marriage.

Opportunistic POS with no core principles ? :lol: Millions of your fellow citizens profoundly disagree with you.
OS, you're right about the first part.

But on the second....have you not complained about calling Trump Hitler more than a few times?

Well, if someone who once called Trump Hitler...is now his VP? What word would you use to describe that if not "opportunist"?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

What makes that "sick"?

So a guy who has repeatedly lied is supposed to be believed????? Very reasonable assumption for Appalachia. Not thst he would know growing up in Appalachia’s suburbs.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:42 pm

What makes that "sick"?

But on the second....have you not complained about calling Trump Hitler more than a few times?

Well, if someone who once called Trump Hitler...is now his VP? What word would you use to describe that if not "opportunist"?
Vance ate his words & admitted he was wrong. I thought you liked that quality. You pat yourself on the back all the time for doing that.

Have your opinions ever changed over an 8 year span which included a couple wars.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

He told more lies in his speech. I used to look at academy grads as believing in integrity. Your time hete has changed that
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:20 pm

What makes that "sick"?

Vance ate his words & admitted he was wrong. I thought you liked that quality. You pat yourself on the back all the time for doing that.

Have your opinions ever changed over an 8 year span which included a couple wars.
I have never, ever, gone from "this man is Hitler" , to going into business with them, no. And you haven't either.

Changing your mind is one thing. Changing your mind to acquire money and power is THE definition of opportunist.

Tell you what, though. As I said before....if Vance puts his money where his BS is with his claim to want to help the working class ACTUALLY leads to bills that do that? THEN I'll agree he simply changed his mind about Trump.

BTW.....now you have to give everyone a pass for calling Trump Hitler in the past, and have toned down that opinion now. You get that, right?
old salt

Post by old salt »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:23 pm He told more lies in his speech. I used to look at academy grads as believing in integrity. Your time hete has changed that
He had the integrity to admit he was wrong. I think a guy who enlisted in the Marines, right out of HS, deployed to Iraq, then earned a degree & law license, then started a venture capital business in his home state -- has plenty of integrity. You're smearing Vance just because you disagree with him politically.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:29 pm

What makes that "sick"?

I have never, ever, gone from "this man is Hitler" , to going into business with them, no. And you haven't either.

Changing your mind is one thing. Changing your mind to acquire money and power is THE definition of opportunist.

Tell you what, though. As I said before....if Vance puts his money where his BS is with his claim to want to help the working class ACTUALLY leads to bills that do that? THEN I'll agree he simply changed his mind about Trump.

BTW.....now you have to give everyone a pass for calling Trump Hitler in the past, and have toned down that opinion now. You get that, right?
He changed his opinion of Trump based on what Trump did as President. That's a solid reason for changing his opinion.
Vance had money, power & influence before he entered politics. The Dems would have been thrilled to have him.
He went with Trump because it gives him the better chance to address the things which he faced before he became rich & influential.
He didn't stay in Silicon Valley. He went back to southern Ohio & started a venture capital firm to start up businesses there.
I'll give a pass to anyone who does a mea culpa for calling Trump Hitler.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:46 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:29 pm

What makes that "sick"?

He changed his opinion of Trump based on what Trump did as President. That's a solid reason for changing his opinion.
Vance had money, power & influence before he entered politics. The Dems would have been thrilled to have him.
He went with Trump because it gives him the better chance to address the things which he faced before he became rich & influential.
Right. Which is why I say: I'll believe this when he passes bills that help the middle class. He does that? Not only will I believe he's no an oppotunist, I will SUPPORT HIM.

Because you know doggone well I don't care about D's and R's....all I care about is POLICY. They enact policies that TRULY help the working class? Great. Now you have my vote. So long as he doesn't play the stupid, pointless culture war games that YOU claim to hate.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JD’s hometown

“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

What makes that "sick"?

Millions of my fellow citizens profoundly disagree with me about Trump and that doesn't persuade me one iota that I'm wrong about him either.

I'm confident about my opinion about Vance and have enormous "receipts" that inform that view. Ignore them all you want, you'll find plenty of company in the Trump cult.

And yeah, I'm not drawing the same conclusion about Wagner's comments that you are. Not a big surprise as you think Army base names shouldn't be changed, people just care about their "heritage". We understand your perspective isn't going to be the same as hers.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:33 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:23 pm He told more lies in his speech. I used to look at academy grads as believing in integrity. Your time hete has changed that
He had the integrity to admit he was wrong. I think a guy who enlisted in the Marines, right out of HS, deployed to Iraq, then earned a degree & law license, then started a venture capital business in his home state -- has plenty of integrity. You're smearing Vance just because you disagree with him politically.
Whoah...what part of that says he has any integrity?

There aren't lying hypocrites in the Marines, lying hypocrites doing PR?
Lying hypocrites who go to law school?
He's failed in every business or charity he's been involved in but sure he was a good self-promoter...any self promoters lying hypocrites?

I will say that he's a pretty smart guy, way smarter than Trump. But smart guys can be lying hypocrites too.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:00 pm Not a big surprise as you think Army base names shouldn't be changed, people just care about their "heritage". We understand your perspective isn't going to be the same as hers.
You have such a short memory. There you go again, making unfounded assumptions & presuming to know what other people think.

If you use the search function & check my posts on the subject, you'll find that I not only concurred with changing the names, I suggested they be named after Medal of Honor winners or other prominent combat veterans who had a connection with that base.
c & s & I had a discussion about what some of those names could be. I'm sure he remembers.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:05 pm He's failed in every business or charity he's been involved in but sure he was a good self-promoter...any self promoters lying hypocrites?
What's your basis for that smear ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

What makes that "sick"?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/07/ ... d-offense/

J. D. Vance’s Homeland Offense

By RICH LOWRY, July 19, 2024

His critics’ comments were thoughtless, ahistorical, and utterly removed from the lived reality of Americans.

In his speech at the Republican convention, vice-presidential nominee J. D. Vance trespassed against one of the foremost clichés in American life — that our country is simply an idea.

Vance said of the people he grew up with in Appalachia, “they love this country, not only because it’s a good idea, but because in their bones they know that this is their home, and it will be their children’s home.”

He invoked the family cemetery plot in eastern Kentucky, encompassing generations of the Vance family.

“That is our homeland,” he said. “People will not fight for abstractions, but they will fight for their home.”

This isn’t quite right. People do indeed fight and die for abstract ideas (see, for instance, the French Revolution and the wars that convulsed Europe in its aftermath). Yet, Vance is correct that people are motivated, in all times and places, to fight for their homes and that America is more than the sum of our national ideals.

These propositions should be considered truisms but were too much for Vance’s critics.

MSNBC’s Alex Wagner called this passage an “Easter egg” of “white nationalism.” America, she continued, is not a group of people with a shared history, but, rather, “a lot of people with different histories, different heritages.” Vance doesn’t understand this, supposedly, because he’s “someone who fundamentally believes in the supremacy of whiteness and masculinity.”

E. J. Dionne of the Washington Post found Vance’s riff “troubling.” Chris Lehmann of the Nation thought Vance’s speech took a “blood-and-soil turn.” Substacker John Ganz headlined his post on the speech, “This Land is Mein Land.”

These critiques are thoughtless, ahistorical, and utterly removed from the lived reality of Americans. Our common associations — a common language, history, culture, and land — matter a great deal, and acknowledging as much isn’t quasi-fascism.

What do the commentators repelled by Vance think Abraham Lincoln was getting at with the finale of his First Inaugural? If Lincoln spoke today of the “mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battle-field, and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearth-stone, all over this broad land,” he’d probably be accused of a dog whistle, too. (Even worse, Lincoln referred to America as “the national homestead.”)

If ideas and institutions are all that count, we should love the countries of the G-7 — fellow advanced liberal democracies — as much as the United States and be just as comfortable living in those countries as we are here. Most of us don’t and aren’t because the United States . . . is our home.

In addition to our founding documents, we treasure our national heroes, our rituals and holidays, our memorials, and our landscape, while we are further bonded to this place because our forebears lived and died here, and our children and grandchildren will, too.

Yes, we are constantly replenished by new arrivals, but so is any family or home. J. D. Vance, who married the child of immigrants, doesn’t need to be lectured about this. He spoke of his wife and biracial children eventually resting in that same eastern Kentucky plot.

John Thornton Kirkland, a future president of Harvard, captured all of this well in a 1798 speech: “We have learned to love our country, because it is our country; because we are near it, and in it, and have an opportunity of being useful to it; because we breathe its air and share its bounties; because the sweat of our fathers’ brows has subdued its soil; their blood watered its fields, and their revered dust sleeps in its bosom; because it embraces our fathers and mothers, our wives and children, our brothers and sisters; because here are our altars, and here our firesides; because patriotism is the combined energy of the social affections, and he who can tear it from his heart, commits sacrilege upon his nature.”

That J. D. Vance saying the same thing is now controversial says much about how our national self-conception has gone off the rails.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:17 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:00 pm Not a big surprise as you think Army base names shouldn't be changed, people just care about their "heritage". We understand your perspective isn't going to be the same as hers.
You have such a short memory. There you go again, making unfounded assumptions & presuming to know what other people think.

If you use the search function & check my posts on the subject, you'll find that I not only concurred with changing the names, I suggested they be named after Medal of Honor winners or other prominent combat veterans who had a connection with that base.
c & s & I had a discussion about what some of those names could be. I'm sure he remembers.
I certainly do. There was a well thought out name change for Ft Benning. Ft Moore honors a remarkable US Army officer. Then true to form the powers that be dropped the ball when the opportunity arose to rename Ft Bragg. There was one very plain and obvious choice. That choice would have honored Gen Matthew Ridgeway who formed the 82nd Airborne and led it for awhile. No the powers that be chose the most idiotic and irrelevant name they could possibly conjure up. I will NEVER refer to Ft Bragg by that name. I served my country for 3 years in an elite front line infantry unit. I made 37 static line jumps with my unit. Technically 32 jumps with 5 being made at jump school. I believe 100% that my disagreement with the new name forced on the home of the " All Americans " was a dishonor to a proud and elite unit. It will always be Ft Bragg to this old dog face. My hope is that in the near future Ft Bragg will again be renamed to honor a deserving former commander.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:29 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:05 pm He's failed in every business or charity he's been involved in but sure he was a good self-promoter...any self promoters lying hypocrites?
What's your basis for that smear ?
https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morn ... term=first

If Vance had remained Obama-friendly and Trump-critical, and chosen to run for office as a Democrat, some of the same institutions currently denouncing him as a dangerous extremist would be singing his praises.

Vance’s life could be the sort of story that Hollywood would get Ron Howard to direct — er, wait, I’m sorry, that’s exactly what happened, although now Variety laments that Howard and producer Brian Grazer “created a monster by legitimizing his origin story.” (Similarly, Ed Simon laments in the New York Times, “His book and film contracts have proven Faustian in the sense that they may place him a heartbeat from the Oval Office.”) This is all your fault, Richie Cunningham!

You would like to think that having a wide range of life experiences makes a person wiser, more understanding, and more empathetic.

Who’s the last president or vice president who grew up poor? I mean poor, so poor that Vance’s grandmother “was negotiating with the Meals on Wheels person to give her more food so that both of us could have something to eat,” as Vance recalled.

Bill Clinton? Barack Obama’s upbringing was unusual, but I don’t think he could accurately be described as impoverished. It may well have been Ronald Reagan.

We haven’t had a commander in chief who had served in the military in a war zone since George H. W. Bush. Vance is quick to emphasize he didn’t see combat, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t assume the risk of wearing the uniform and working in a country where insurgents were trying to kill Americans. From Hillbilly Elegy:

" As a public affairs marine, I would attach to different units to get a sense of their daily routine. Sometimes I’d escort civilian press, but generally I’d take photos or write short stories about individual marines or their work. Early in my deployment, I attached to a civil affairs unit to do community outreach. Civil affairs missions were typically considered more dangerous, as a small number of marines would venture into unprotected Iraqi territory to meet with locals."

...no president has worked in Silicon Valley. Vance was a principal at Mithril Capital, a fund co-founded by Peter Thiel. Principals identify investment opportunities for the fund, conduct due diligence on target companies, and help manage portfolio companies. How many recent presidents or vice presidents have done work like that?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Nonsense, he is POS, and I said so :roll: ....and people that grew up like Vance can not be trusted, oh wait....that goes against the very demographic(s) that they 'claim' they are supposedly fighting for. :roll:

We need more people like Schiff, that only 3 months ago chastised Hur for being honest about Biden, and now agrees with him....but Schiff, must be trusted, just re-watch the Trump-Russian Saga of yesteryear.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:05 pm

He's failed in every business or charity he's been involved in but sure he was a good self-promoter...any self promoters lying hypocrites?

I will say that he's a pretty smart guy, way smarter than Trump. But smart guys can be lying hypocrites too.
I have seen some smart and some not so smart guys lying on this board.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:21 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:05 pm

I have seen some smart and some not so smart guys lying on this board.
In their defense maybe they just misremembered the facts? :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”