Trump Rally and Possible Shooting or Explosions?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Trump Rally and Possible Shooting or Explosions?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:11 am It depends on how you define a mass shooting. Was his objective to kill as many people as possible or to eliminate Trump ?

Re oversight of rooftops, there is a water tower with a railed walkway that could be used by a 2 man overwatch counter-sniper team with a clear view of numerous rooftops, including the one used by the shooter.
How do we actually know what his objective was??

I agree that it certainly seems most likely that he was targeting Trump first and foremost, but we don't know that for a fact...yet.

and we do know that he fired a flurry of bullets, at least 8 shots in rapid-fire, and was immediately stopped by a single shot (at least that's the reporting).

But it's definitely plausible that he intended to keep on firing as long as he could, killing as many as he could. The weapon he chose is much better for that purpose than would have been a sniper rifle, though both were capable of a straight assassination attempt.

So, unless we absolutely know he only intended to kill one person, sure fits mass shooting profile as well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:30 am That’s for the politicians like our soon to be ex-senator.
Just keep Alicia out of jail. she's too pretty to be in one of those movies I rent.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:54 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:11 am It depends on how you define a mass shooting. Was his objective to kill as many people as possible or to eliminate Trump ?

Re oversight of rooftops, there is a water tower with a railed walkway that could be used by a 2 man overwatch counter-sniper team with a clear view of numerous rooftops, including the one used by the shooter.
How do we actually know what his objective was??

I agree that it certainly seems most likely that he was targeting Trump first and foremost, but we don't know that for a fact...yet.

and we do know that he fired a flurry of bullets, at least 8 shots in rapid-fire, and was immediately stopped by a single shot (at least that's the reporting).

But it's definitely plausible that he intended to keep on firing as long as he could, killing as many as he could. The weapon he chose is much better for that purpose than would have been a sniper rifle, though both were capable of a straight assassination attempt.

So, unless we absolutely know he only intended to kill one person, sure fits mass shooting profile as well.
I'm not the one claiming to know. I did not call him a mass shooter. Just pointed out that he had time to get more shots off, if he was targeting more people than Trump.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:06 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:01 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:45 pm The assault rifle ban argument does not hold up here. It was not a mass shooting.
Any deer hunting rifle with a scope could have made that shot. It would probably have done more damage.
There are a lot of deer hunters in PA. Good luck banning their hunting rifles.
Not a mass shooting? Firing rounds into a crowd and at a candidate for POTUS? What planet are you on :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Maybe the shooter was just a poor marksman. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
He could have done the same thing with a deer rifle, only it would probably have taken off Trump's entire ear, or worse.

He was a good shot. Trump just happened to turn his head & then duck.
Did someone else call it a mass shooting before you denied it was? I haven't found that post yet.

I see discussion of use of AR-15 and so many shots taken in so little time, questions about accuracy, but I think you may have been the first to bring up "mass shooting".

My point is that we don't know, yet, what the shooters' intent was. Maybe it was just to kill Trump. Maybe it was just to pretend to be shooting at Trump but not kill him, making him a martyr (I doubt this one!). Maybe it was to kill Trump and as many of his supporters as he could...maybe it was "to be someone"...

We won't know unless he wrote it down or told someone. We'll know more to make better guesses but that's what they'll be unless something is found definitively.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:12 am
old salt wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:45 pm The assault rifle ban argument does not hold up here. It was not a mass shooting.
Any deer hunting rifle with a scope could have made that shot. It would probably have done more damage.
Not a mass shooting? Firing rounds into a crowd and at a candidate for POTUS? What planet are you on :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

He could have done the same thing with a deer rifle, only it would probably have taken off Trump's entire ear, or worse.

Did someone else call it a mass shooting before you denied it was? I haven't found that post yet.

I see discussion of use of AR-15 and so many shots taken in so little time, questions about accuracy, but I think you may have been the first to bring up "mass shooting".

My point is that we don't know, yet, what the shooters' intent was. Maybe it was just to kill Trump. Maybe it was just to pretend to be shooting at Trump but not kill him, making him a martyr (I doubt this one!). Maybe it was to kill Trump and as many of his supporters as he could...maybe it was "to be someone"...

We won't know unless he wrote it down or told someone. We'll know more to make better guesses but that's what they'll be unless something is found definitively.
:roll: ...there were previous posts about it being an AR. I pointed out that it was not a mass shooting & that it could have been done with a deer rifle. It does not need to be an AR-15 to get that number of shots off in a short time. I even linked an example of a none-assault weapon/hunting rifle which could do the same thing & even use larger caliber rounds.

The reason most often used to call for an assault weapon ban is to prevent mass shootings.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:27 am

:roll: ...there were previous posts about it being an AR. I pointed out that it was not a mass shooting & that it could have been done with a deer rifle. It does not need to be an AR-15 to get that number of shots off in a short time. I even linked an example of a none-assault weapon/hunting rifle which could do the same thing & even use larger caliber rounds.

The reason most often used to call for an assault weapon ban is to prevent mass shootings.
Highly unlikely you could get off 8 shots in the time frame with a deer rifle.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:22 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:27 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:42 am

Don't think the problem was locations for sniper teams - one of the teams dispatched the shooter within minutes. The issue is why the elevated location of where the shooter was located wasn't properly covered.
If a sniper team or just an overwatch team of a couple police with binoculars & radios, were placed on the water tower -- multiple rooftops could have been surveilled, including the rooftop the shooter used. The issue is not having enough snipers -- it's insufficient overwatch.
Here is my analysis....based on what we now know:

The pitched roof where the gunman was positioned, provided him cover from the CAT (Counter Assault Team) as he was able to stay low enough below the peak pitch of the roof to stay unseen, until he popped up and got close enough to the top peak of the roof to take aim. Had the CAT team and/or overmatch team, been at a higher elevation than the gunman, they all would have not been handcuffed by visibility of the roof pitch.

My guess, is that when the local cop got on the roof, and the gunman had to turn and point his weapon at the cop making the cop retreat, that provided the CAT a chance to identify the shooter and begin to lock in on him.....it just so happens the gunman must have hurried after he reset from the altercation of the local cop event on the roof. So there was a simultaneous event taking place, in a very short window of time, as each were gaining lock on their target.....that is when the gunman fired first, the CAT sniper jumped at first shot, had to reset and focus, the gunman was able to get off a multiple shots as the CAT sniper was relocking and ultimately fired for the kill shot.

The only portion of this that is fuzzy to me, is how the CAT sniper made his kill shot after the multiple rounds from the gunman. My guess, is that b/c of the elevation change between the CAT and the gunman, the CAT sniper never had a clean shot until the gunman actually tried to retreat after his shots, assuming his head was bobbing up and down as he was crawling back to exit roof.....or the CAT sniper made one phenomenal shot with the limited visibility to of the gunman and roof pitch. The gunman also had to know he was a dead-man regardless, b/c there were law enforcement waiting for him on the ground....so the gunman may have intentionally put himself in a position to be taken out after his shooting spree.
Reading that the shooters parents called police the day of event....no details what prompted the call.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:00 pm

Don't think the problem was locations for sniper teams - one of the teams dispatched the shooter within minutes. The issue is why the elevated location of where the shooter was located wasn't properly covered.
If a sniper team or just an overwatch team of a couple police with binoculars & radios, were placed on the water tower -- multiple rooftops could have been surveilled, including the rooftop the shooter used. The issue is not having enough snipers -- it's insufficient overwatch.

The pitched roof where the gunman was positioned, provided him cover from the CAT (Counter Assault Team) as he was able to stay low enough below the peak pitch of the roof to stay unseen, until he popped up and got close enough to the top peak of the roof to take aim. Had the CAT team and/or overmatch team, been at a higher elevation than the gunman, they all would have not been handcuffed by visibility of the roof pitch.

My guess, is that when the local cop got on the roof, and the gunman had to turn and point his weapon at the cop making the cop retreat, that provided the CAT a chance to identify the shooter and begin to lock in on him.....it just so happens the gunman must have hurried after he reset from the altercation of the local cop event on the roof. So there was a simultaneous event taking place, in a very short window of time, as each were gaining lock on their target.....that is when the gunman fired first, the CAT sniper jumped at first shot, had to reset and focus, the gunman was able to get off a multiple shots as the CAT sniper was relocking and ultimately fired for the kill shot.

The only portion of this that is fuzzy to me, is how the CAT sniper made his kill shot after the multiple rounds from the gunman. My guess, is that b/c of the elevation change between the CAT and the gunman, the CAT sniper never had a clean shot until the gunman actually tried to retreat after his shots, assuming his head was bobbing up and down as he was crawling back to exit roof.....or the CAT sniper made one phenomenal shot with the limited visibility to of the gunman and roof pitch. The gunman also had to know he was a dead-man regardless, b/c there were law enforcement waiting for him on the ground....so the gunman may have intentionally put himself in a position to be taken out after his shooting spree.
Reading that the shooters parents called police the day of event....no details what prompted the call.
If true, that would likely be ANOTHER ball dropped by the local police :oops:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:51 am

Highly unlikely you could get off 8 shots in the time frame with a deer rifle.
See the link I posted above. It's a semi-automatic. You can get it with a 10 shot magazine. It's not an assault weapon.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:08 pm

The father called the police after the shooting, but don't let that stop you from speculating the worst.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:49 pm

The father called the police after the shooting, but don't let that stop you from speculating the worst.
Boy you can’t read can you? He said “if true,…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:01 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:49 pm

Boy you can’t read can you? He said “if true,…
"if true" makes it speculation.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohh, I understood the relationship to the AR-15, just not the assumption about this kid's intentions being so absolute. I dunno how quick those 8 shots were, but seems like it was very fast, which certainly the AR-15 is built to do. Yes, a hunting rifle would have been better if purely for assassination and one or two pulls of the trigger with emphasis on accuracy and singular damage.

We'll probably learn more about the kid and his dad's 20+ weapons, proficiency etc. If a deer hunter, which would be pretty typical for that region and being a gun person, then it would make sense to be proficient with a hunting rifle and not have chosen the AR-15 unless he was looking to kill many quickly or be in some sort of pitched battle. Clearly this was a deranged kid, so who the heck knows what was in his mind as he planned this thing.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:16 pm

ohh, I understood the relationship to the AR-15, just not the assumption about this kid's intentions being so absolute. I dunno how quick those 8 shots were, but seems like it was very fast, which certainly the AR-15 is built to do. Yes, a hunting rifle would have been better if purely for assassination and one or two pulls of the trigger with emphasis on accuracy and singular damage.

We'll probably learn more about the kid and his dad's 20+ weapons, proficiency etc. If a deer hunter, which would be pretty typical for that region and being a gun person, then it would make sense to be proficient with a hunting rifle and not have chosen the AR-15 unless he was looking to kill many quickly or be in some sort of pitched battle. Clearly this was a deranged kid, so who the heck knows what was in his mind as he planned this thing.
Do You read any posts other than your own ? I've posted a link of a hunting rifle, several times, that could fire 8 shots in the time frame on the audio.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Why did you go immediately to it was a local police issue? That is not cool.....they could have very well notified USSS.

Another thing to consider...... talks that there should have been another sniper/LEO on that roof, but set up inside. Which means, the Team that that killed the shooter, could have thought they were friendlies.

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1813594952775135692
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:16 pm

Do You read any posts other than your own ? I've posted a link of a hunting rifle, several times, that could fire 8 shots in the time frame on the audio.
Sure I did. But so what?

That just the makes the case more likely to be intent to do more than just kill the President. Yes, that automatic rifle fires 10 shots pretty quickly, but why choose the AR-15 if not intending to do a heck of a lot more...assuming you have access to the one you linked...or for that matter any high power scoped hunting rifle?

Assassinating a President from distance would have a lot more in common with a hunting rifle intended to bring down a single deer, preferably with one shot or at most two...firing off 10 shots should NEVER happen when hunting deer.

so, why choose an AR-15 if you have a hunting rifle, any good hunting rifle, available instead?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:54 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:30 am That’s for the politicians like our soon to be ex-senator.
Just keep Alicia out of jail. she's too pretty to be in one of those movies I rent.
Bob is such total scum he is probably asking Alicia for money now. No way he will resign. He wants to keep that Senate salary coming as long as possible. I hope the chamber expels him ASAP. The next senator from New Jersey, Andy Kim, lives in my hometown now. Really good guy.
njbill

Post by njbill »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:55 pm so, why choose an AR-15 if you have a hunting rifle, any good hunting rifle, available instead?
I’ve seen reports that the father owns something like 30 weapons. Speculating, but I’ll bet some were hunting rifles. Apparently, the father had allowed the kid to borrow the AR before to take it to the range for target practice. The kid asked to borrow the AR saying he wanted to take it to the range that day. The father said OK. Don’t know if the kid ever borrowed a hunting rifle from his father. It makes sense to me that the kid would ask the father for a rifle that he most plausibly could say he was taking to the range.

We are all speculating, of course. Indicators are the kid may have been a Trump supporter: registered Republican, conservative views per his classmates, conservative Republican parents. Why would a Trump supporter try to kill Trump? Don’t know. Mark David Chapman was a Beatles fan yet he killed John Lennon.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:06 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:55 pm so, why choose an AR-15 if you have a hunting rifle, any good hunting rifle, available instead?
I’ve seen reports that the father owns something like 30 weapons. Speculating, but I’ll bet some were hunting rifles. Apparently, the father had allowed the kid to borrow the AR before to take it to the range for target practice. The kid asked to borrow the AR saying he wanted to take it to the range that day. The father said OK. Don’t know if the kid ever borrowed a hunting rifle from his father. It makes sense to me that the kid would ask the father for a rifle that he most plausibly could say he was taking to the range.

We are all speculating, of course. Indicators are the kid may have been a Trump supporter: registered Republican, conservative views per his classmates, conservative Republican parents. Why would a Trump supporter try to kill Trump? Don’t know. Mark David Chapman was a Beatles fan yet he killed John Lennon.
could be, but don't you want to practice with a hunting rifle too at the range? Assuming you're a hunter...

We'll learn more in due course but may never know exactly what he was thinking.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m not a hunter. The point I was trying to make is what type of gun had he borrowed in the past from his father? If only the AR, then if he asked for the hunting rifle that day, that might have raised suspicions. If he regularly borrowed both, then perhaps it wouldn’t have.

But we, rational folks, are trying to figure out what an obviously irrational guy was thinking and doing.

Return to “POLITICS”