The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: 2024

Post by njbill »

Trump is America’s Hitler. JD Vance.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

on Vance: https://time.com/6999104/jd-vance-trump ... eparation/

Let's see how he molds closer to Trump, most likely he'll get quiet about any notion of taxing big business, but they are hand in glove on the super protectionist stuff, tariff's, etc that economists say will hugely hurt working families the most, major inflation accelerator.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:42 am
get it to x wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:31 am
njbill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:49 pm
get it to x wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:34 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:25 pm I think the Vance pick is good for Biden. He is the antithesis of a moderate. Another fire breathing hater like Trump. Plus, he is very thin on credentials. He wrote a best selling book. So what?
You're right about credentials. Except for the Marine Corps between HS and OSU his resume resembles Obama's.
Vance has been a senator for a year and a half. That’s it. Obama was in the Illinois state legislature for seven years or so. Plus, he was a senator longer than Vance.
Vance was an enlisted man and a tech investor. You and I completely differ as you think more time in the political cesspool is a plus and I think it's a minus. The job is the "Chief Executive of the United States". Lifetime politicians are, out of necessity, mostly grifters, like Pelosi, McConnell and Biden. Family and crony enrichment come before the needs of the people. These folks have a lot of net worth in relation to their salaries. Although Obama got most of his cash after leaving office, he's not exactly Harry Truman. For example, Truman went home, Obama stayed in DC.
And his views on all sorts of issues, including on Trump, are incredibly fluid, let's generously say "opportunistic".
No principles, no moral grounding, nothing.

Never had to face voters after serving for a period of time. Just BS'd the first time through.

Yes, he enlisted in the Marines, serving as a PR correspondent in Iraq, not active fighting.
His legal career was unremarkable, his VC experience only remarkable in that he found Peter Thiel who made him a principal, a short while at Steve Case's firm who now distances himself from Vance, then raised some money from Thiel and related backers...I see zero actual successful investments he led, tech or otherwise. The nonprofit he started failed, and had significant controversy due to purported ties to Purdue Pharma...

But he's definitely a smart guy, silver tongue, and prepared to be a full on MAGA 'soldier', including advocating for the elimination of Civil Service, and replacement with partisan operatives, loyal to Der Leader.

Maybe that's what you want. Certainly it's what Trump wants.
Maybe you're one of Obama's political patrons that he turned into permanent federal employees. Those are the people Trump wants to, and can, fire. Worried about your sinecure?

Can you recite Kamala's curricula vitae? Or Biden's?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:03 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:25 pm I think the Vance pick is good for Biden. He is the antithesis of a moderate. Another fire breathing hater like Trump. Plus, he is very thin on credentials. He wrote a best selling book. So what?
You're right about credentials. Except for the Marine Corps between HS and OSU his resume resembles Obama's.
Vance has been a senator for a year and a half. That’s it. Obama was in the Illinois state legislature for seven years or so. Plus, he was a senator longer than Vance.
Vance was an enlisted man and a tech investor. You and I completely differ as you think more time in the political cesspool is a plus and I think it's a minus. The job is the "Chief Executive of the United States". Lifetime politicians are, out of necessity, mostly grifters, like Pelosi, McConnell and Biden. Family and crony enrichment come before the needs of the people. These folks have a lot of net worth in relation to their salaries. Although Obama got most of his cash after leaving office, he's not exactly Harry Truman. For example, Truman went home, Obama stayed in DC.
And his views on all sorts of issues, including on Trump, are incredibly fluid, let's generously say "opportunistic".

Never had to face voters after serving for a period of time. Just BS'd the first time through.

Yes, he enlisted in the Marines, serving as a PR correspondent in Iraq, not active fighting.
His legal career was unremarkable, his VC experience only remarkable in that he found Peter Thiel who made him a principal, a short while at Steve Case's firm who now distances himself from Vance, then raised some money from Thiel and related backers...I see zero actual successful investments he led, tech or otherwise. The nonprofit he started failed, and had significant controversy due to purported ties to Purdue Pharma...

But he's definitely a smart guy, silver tongue, and prepared to be a full on MAGA 'soldier', including advocating for the elimination of Civil Service, and replacement with partisan operatives, loyal to Der Leader.

Maybe you're one of Obama's political patrons that he turned into permanent federal employees. Those are the people Trump wants to, and can, fire. Worried about your sinecure?

Can you recite Kamala's curricula vitae? Or Biden's?
recite, no, but I know the key points, pro and con. why?

I didn't vote for Obama either time nor did I ever work in the federal government. But what "political patrons" do you think "he turned into permanent federal employees"?

I recall in 2016, Trump's Campaign (including Chris Christie) talked about concerns that Obama would somehow convert political employees to civil service, but that didn't happen.

Do you know how Civil Service reform works and why?

It's to limit the "spoils" system of partisan appointments and make hiring and firing a matter of expertise and performance not partisan loyalty. Unlike Obama, Trump increased the number of partisan appointments by 100,000. Biden reversed that EO, giving up that additional power to appoint partisan Dems.

Before you spout off MAGA talking point claptrap, maybe read up first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_ser ... ted_States
a fan

Post by a fan »

A. that's what Trump claimed last time, Get it X. What happened? My turn to ask questions: how much bigger was the swamp when Trump left office, my man?

If you're going to champion things Trump claims he'll do, you have to notice when he does the OPPOSITE of what he claims. And you should get angry that he played you.

B. he's going to replace Federal employees who, believe it or not, know what they are doing....with political toadies. You're cheering this on, I believe, because all you can see is Trump's people. What's your plan when a Democrat gets into office, guts all those political appointees, and puts in the very people you don't like?

Have you thought about that? Or are you only thinking in four year increments?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:28 pm

A. that's what Trump claimed last time, Get it X. What happened? My turn to ask questions: how much bigger was the swamp when Trump left office, my man?

If you're going to champion things Trump claims he'll do, you have to notice when he does the OPPOSITE of what he claims. And you should get angry that he played you.

B. he's going to replace Federal employees who, believe it or not, know what they are doing....with political toadies. You're cheering this on, I believe, because all you can see is Trump's people. What's your plan when a Democrat gets into office, guts all those political appointees, and puts in the very people you don't like?

No, they're thinking that their power will be permanent, 4th Reich mentality.

When the protectionist tariffs crush the economy is when things will get especially dicey as they will need scapegoats to blame and deep pockets to raid.

And they'll start to look at the world for asset conquest.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... they'll blame the Jews. It is what this scum does.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:50 pm ... they'll blame the Jews. It is what this scum does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnF1OtP2Svkfan
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ggait

Post by ggait »

538 (currently run by G. Elliott Morris) today has Joe up to a 53% win percentage. Because Morris' model focuses on the fundamentals rather than the polls.

And here's what Nate Silver thinks of that approach:

Nate Silver
@NateSilver538
Sure, the Titanic might seem like it's capsizing, but what you don't understand is that the White Star Line has an extremely good track record according to our fundamentals model.

Economist's model has Joe at 22%. Silver is 25%.

And Dave Wasserman at Cook's Political Report says: If current margins hold through Election Day, “then Biden's chances of winning Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan would be about the same chances that a human could survive on Mars for 24 hours.”

But it is all good so long as Joe tries his best. And he'll get a popsicle and a participation certificate to take back to Rehobeth.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:10 pm
538 (currently run by G. Elliott Morris) today has Joe up to a 53% win percentage. Because Morris' model focuses on the fundamentals rather than the polls.

And here's what Nate Silver thinks of that approach:

Nate Silver
@NateSilver538
Sure, the Titanic might seem like it's capsizing, but what you don't understand is that the White Star Line has an extremely good track record according to our fundamentals model.

Economist's model has Joe at 22%. Silver is 25%.

And Dave Wasserman at Cook's Political Report says: If current margins hold through Election Day, “then Biden's chances of winning Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan would be about the same chances that a human could survive on Mars for 24 hours.”

But it is all good so long as Joe tries his best. And he'll get a popsicle and a participation certificate to take back to Rehobeth.
Do you know if potential replacements have been modeled?
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:44 pm

When the protectionist tariffs crush the economy is when things will get especially dicey as they will need scapegoats to blame and deep pockets to raid.

4th reich mentality yes but the GOP hsd had as its ultimate goal since 1964 to become the Permanent ruling party in the country. They do not intend to lose an election if they take control of the government.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:35 pm

4th reich mentality yes but the GOP hsd had as its ultimate goal since 1964 to become the Permanent ruling party in the country. They do not intend to lose an election if they take control of the government.
I dunno if that's correct re "since 1964"...that's not remotely like anything I heard fom my party over those many decades. There was always an assumption of win some, lose some, come back to win again. But it's definitely a very different GOP, a MAGA GOP, today. And I agree that "election" will look like a Russian or Hungarian style event. They aspire to the Hungarian model.

My point is that their economic plan of massive tariffs and mass roundups and expulsions of immigrants will be disastrous. And in a relatively short period of time of a couple of years we'll see tremendous unrest...necessitating scapegoats and nationalistic fervor and asset conquest.

Fortunately, we have a huge, powerful economic engine that's humming at a very high rate right now, but tariff shocks and a turn away from international rule of law will be hugely disruptive economically. Tremendously inflationary.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:44 am Trump is America’s Hitler. JD Vance.
Paraphrasing JD Vance: "I'd rather vote third party, or write my dog in, or even vote for Clinton rather than vote for Trump" - video below

I have to say I really agree with the guy here. He really disliked Donald Trump.

Remember when being a "flip-flopper" was like the worst thing imaginable in politics?

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:00 pm

I dunno if that's correct re "since 1964"...that's not remotely like anything I heard fom my party over those many decades. There was always an assumption of win some, lose some, come back to win again. But it's definitely a very different GOP, a MAGA GOP, today. And I agree that "election" will look like a Russian or Hungarian style event. They aspire to the Hungarian model.

My point is that their economic plan of massive tariffs and mass roundups and expulsions of immigrants will be disastrous. And in a relatively short period of time of a couple of years we'll see tremendous unrest...necessitating scapegoats and nationalistic fervor and asset conquest.

Fortunately, we have a huge, powerful economic engine that's humming at a very high rate right now, but tariff shocks and a turn away from international rule of law will be hugely disruptive economically. Tremendously inflationary.
It was not an item for public discussion it was a blueprint. The Heritage Foundation, AEI, Cato Institute were part of the blueprint not by name but by function. Help recruit young republicans, give the promising ones a good career path, seek dominance where possible in states by taking advantage of numbers to gerrymander, suppress voters, impose hurdles to voting eg moving polling places on short notice, slow walk voting applications and ID cards etc. the date was explained to me as bcs of the crushing AuH2O defeat and the despair the far right was feeling.

https://prospect.org/features/america-one-party-state/

I participated in a small group conversation with one of the dominant pols of the era in the late 70s. I am not aware of a popular piblication writing about it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I dunno if that's correct re "since 1964"...that's not remotely like anything I heard fom my party over those many decades. There was always an assumption of win some, lose some, come back to win again
....you left out the important part: the R's would adjust their policies after losses. in other words, they'd change the sales pitch.

The MAGA base doesn't care about policy anymore, outside of culture war issues.

Which is why you can shove a camera in a MAGA's face, list off a bunch of Trump policies, and they'll say "oh yeah, that's all great stuff"....only to tell them that no, those are actually Biden policies.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:25 pm

It was not an item for public discussion it was a blueprint. The Heritage Foundation, AEI, Cato Institute were part of the blueprint not by name but by function. Help recruit young republicans, give the promising ones a good career path, seek dominance where possible in states by taking advantage of numbers to gerrymander, suppress voters, impose hurdles to voting eg moving polling places on short notice, slow walk voting applications and ID cards etc. the date was explained to me as bcs of the crushing AuH2O defeat and the despair the far right was feeling.

https://prospect.org/features/america-one-party-state/

I participated in a small group conversation with one of the dominant pols of the era in the late 70s. I am not aware of a popular piblication writing about it.
mmm, I do agree that the parties have each tried to work the system to their benefit, but it really wasn't the notion of actual single party control the way this MAGA GOP is seeking to accomplish it...but, sure, the seeds have been there for a long time.

Gerrymandering is a HUGE structural problem.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well, that was pretty weak sauce from Nikki Haley. I guess she figured she needed a speaking slot at the convention to keep her future political hopes alive. She has to be rooting for Biden to win. If Trump wins, at this point it would seem very unlikely that a Republican could win in 2028 because the country will be so sick of Trump and the Republicans by then.

But if Biden wins, the country could well be ready to elect a moderate Republican in 2028. Very tough for a party to win three consecutive terms. Haley may be the front runner at this point.

Trump either looks disinterested or sedated. Or worse.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:44 pm Trump either looks disinterested or sedated. Or worse.
Worse. The guy fell asleep at his own criminal trial multiple times. Where he became a convicted felon.

The question is what is he hopped up on? We know the WH was a pill mill under him. And yes, Joe is old too just to satisfy the whatabouters.
old salt

Post by old salt »

CNN showed a poll of 4 " Dems polling ahead of Biden in swing states". One of them was Sen Mark Kelly of AZ.

He is a Dem who could beat Trump & a person I'd trust as our President & as my Commander-in-Chief.

I"d happily vote for him rather than Trump.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:09 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:44 pm Trump either looks disinterested or sedated. Or worse.
Worse. The guy fell asleep at his own criminal trial multiple times. Where he became a convicted felon.

The question is what is he hopped up on? We know the WH was a pill mill under him. And yes, Joe is old too just to satisfy the whatabouters.
He was sleeping/dozing off at the convention again last night. Sleepy Fatso :oops:

Return to “POLITICS”